I believe that Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters belong to a cult.

Options

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mhv833NJly1qhew4eo5_250_zpsa4faa863.gif

FYI, if he can pick all that up within 5 seconds, it's still clean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-second_rule
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    So by these definitions... if you like and participate in ANYTHING.... you're part of a cult.

"these definitions" are the ACTUAL definitions.

And no. When did you last hear a football fan say football would cure their diseases. In fact, when was football fandom ever a really small group of people.

So now we are getting into the relative definition of group size?

If you really want to, we can. Over 50% of American adults are football fans. That's relatively large: http://www.gallup.com/poll/1786/more-americans-fans-pro-football-than-any-other-sport.aspx
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Apparently they did a study and concluded that one of the main side effects of paleo/primal/clean eating lifestyle is that your head grows bigger and you lose the ability to talk about anything else with your friends.

They're currently doing the same study with Crossfit as well.

This is also true of Beachbody.

Vegetarians

Vegans

Low carbers

IIFYM people

Mediterranean/South Beachers

Followers of Atkins

Pretty much MFP in general....

All cults.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    So by your definitions, every religious organization is a cult, football fans are a cult, people that watch celebrity gossip are a colt.
    Yes. Good examples.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If something someone is doing is bringing them joy, they feel it is improving their lives and health, why not let them have it? Not everyone has to do the same things, like the same things, follow the same paths to achieve their goals. What happened to live and let live? How could it possibly negatively impact you if someone else is living a paleo/primal/clean eating plan? I was under the distinct impression these forums – this site – was to help people in their pursuits of good health, to offer resources and support. The rampant negativity espoused by this post and other like it say infinitely more about the characters of those individuals starting and perpetuating them than they could ever say about people who have a developed a passion for something they truly believe is making them better people. Shame on you, OP.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    So by your definitions, every religious organization is a cult, football fans are a cult, people that watch celebrity gossip are a colt.

aka, you're dumb.

hahah
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    Apparently they did a study and concluded that one of the main side effects of paleo/primal/clean eating lifestyle is that your head grows bigger and you lose the ability to talk about anything else with your friends.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

aka, you're dumb.

You make a good argument! I agree that all of those are in fact cults, I really don't think that horses watch celebrity gossip! I mean they're horses!? Why would they care!?
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    the-cult-2.jpg
    The Cult
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    what-is-the-paleo-diet.jpg
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Now I want a cupcake.... by the way, I am member of the Twinkie Diet Cult... and it's working great for me... see 4 pounds already. :tongue:
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Where did you get twinkies? jealous. None left in my town.:(
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    So by these definitions... if you like and participate in ANYTHING.... you're part of a cult.

"these definitions" are the ACTUAL definitions.

And no. When did you last hear a football fan say football would cure their diseases. In fact, when was football fandom ever a really small group of people.

So now we are getting into the relative definition of group size?

If you really want to, we can. Over 50% of American adults are football fans. That's relatively large: http://www.gallup.com/poll/1786/more-americans-fans-pro-football-than-any-other-sport.aspx

So if in fact there were as many Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters as there are American Football fans, does it automatically become exempt form the definition of a cult because enough people like it so now it is accepted?
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

QFT

And Vegans.

I know some vegans who aren't like that, though. (And I know some that are...).

PeTA is definitely a cult. Hypocritical cult, at that, given that their kill stats of "rescued" animals is 85-97% for the past 10+ years.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    definition of "Cult" from Merriam Webster.

1 : formal religious veneration : worship
    2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
    b : the object of such devotion
    c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

i believe Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters fit each of definitions 4, 5a, and 5c to a greater or lesser extent.
    insults are against the community guidelines. you can get a strike for that.

I'm pretty sure that posting a topic where you call a group of people a cult will probably run afoul of the community guidelines too.

"Cult" is not an insult. How is providing a dictionary definition an insult?

How is this not an insult? The connotation of the word 'cult' is far from a good one and it seems that this entire post is designed to get a rise from people. In which case, maybe the OP is just trolling.

Your interpretation of this is your own interpretation. However, the OP never insulted anyone, just stated his belief that those who follow these diets fit the definition.

From what I have seen here (ie, no logical or calm responses), perhaps he is right.

And my interpretation is that if you take the time to publicly state your belief that you think what others do is akin to a 'cult', then you are essentially telling them "You are a member of a cult" - which does not have the best of implications. If the OP doesn't really care what people do with their own time or how they live, what's the point of this thread? Am I in a cult if I think it's perfectly fine to burn more calories than you take in if you want to lose weight? If so, then pass me the Kool-Aid and I'll log it for the day.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    tHw0b_zps10e2bd15.gif
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

As a clean/paleo/primal eater AND crossfitter, I found this funny (because it's true!). When you get excited about something, it's hard NOT to want to talk about it/share it with your friends. I'm learning that not everyone wants to hear about it, but my hubs and I have found that when people ASK us what we're doing (because we went from being fat & unhealthy to hot & energetic), they really do find it interesting. I do my best not to bring it up unless I'm asked. I do, however, sometimes offer advice when an OP asks on here. I don't say "drink this kool-aid, go paleo and join crossfit" though. I just point out that replacing some of your processed food with whole foods can make you not only feel awesome, but the weight just naturally comes off in the process.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options

aka, you're dumb.

insults are against the community guidelines. you can get a strike for that.

oh no. what ever will I do.

Im with you on this one. The OP is an idiot

Keto 4 life. Keep eating your sugar and carbs buddy, Paleo/Keto are the true way humans are supposed to eat. Keep shoving those cupcakes down your throat and I'm sure the weight will just come flying off. *eyeroll*

What do you have against Paleo/Keto/Primal diets? They arent even diets. They are lifestyle changes. You sound like you are severely uneducated about nutrition so you resort to insulting US by calling us a cult. You are a hypocrite

The whole primal/paleo/keto thing is neither here nor there, so far as I'm concerned. I just wanted to come in and say that I've met and exceeded my goal while "shoving cupcakes down my throat" as part of a balanced diet.

Have a good day! :flowerforyou:
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mhv833NJly1qhew4eo5_250_zpsa4faa863.gif

FYI, if he can pick all that up within 5 seconds, it's still clean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-second_rule

OH, so THAT's what they mean by eating clean... gotcha. :tongue:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

aka, you're dumb.

the definition is from Merriam Webster. That's the dictionary! LOL.
This discussion has been closed.