I believe that IIFYM is a cult

Options

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

c: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Not trolling just curious how people feel about the IIFYM crowd. Let's ensure the community doesn't allow subjective responses, so the topic as a hole doesn't become divided.

If you are using myfitness pal then you are already, to some extent, following an IIFYM diet. You eat within your calorie and macro allowance.

That's why it is so hilarious when people poop the bed over the idea of IIFYM.

Then you have the fact that 95% of IIFYM criticism comes from people who don't even understand how it's applied.

ONOZ. OMG!

you can't be healthy if all you eat are pop tarts and ice cream!

OMG! ONOZ

ohnoes.gif
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I do follow a more IIFYM style of eating.. to me, it's about a healthy balance. Now I know there's a pop tart thread everyday and people saying that they ate pop tarts and ice cream everyday and lost weight which is true but what people aren't factoring in it to fit your MACROS not your CALORIES you still have to eat plenty of "clean" foods.. no one has a six pack on pop tarts alone.. you have to get nutrition from other sources as well..

I think it's more of saying that to totally abstain from everything with extremist "clean eating" ways is not sustainable long term wise.. People are going to eat a cookie, they're going to have ice cream. It's about a lifestyle change and I would never omit everything to lose weight if I knew I could never consume it again. It's about BALANCE first and foremost. Do I indulge? Yes. Does it fit my macros? Usually. Am I losing bodyfat? Yes. Am I feeling much more at ease this time around then I did 2 years ago eating "clean" yes.. I have more choices available. It all boils down "to each their own" but for me this mimics more of "real life". I'm not living on chicken breast, broccoli and brown rice forever so why start something that's going to burn me out and for most people leads to binging which is never healthy.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The oldest living IIFYM'er is 89, the oldest living clean eater is 91, so lets wait for the verdict, shall we?

4f6452c1-3f3a-4c39-a340-a2ec2cb9b43c_zps46b8d8eb.jpg

I wonder which of them can run farther, lift heavier, and which has fewer conditions (high cholesterol, blood pressure, hypoglycemia, arthritis, etc). Health isn't purely skin-deep. Maybe that health guru just never applied lotion!

HA! The results would probably be surprising. I'd put my money on Nigella, though.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    It is a cult but it is pathetic compared to the bacon cult.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    The oldest living IIFYM'er is 89, the oldest living clean eater is 91, so lets wait for the verdict, shall we?

And the oldest living smoker died when she was 115.....

of lung cancer!!!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    What is IIFYM?

"If It Fits Your Macros," eat it. Your macronutrients are Fat, Carbs, and Proteins. Grams of each multiplied by 4 (or 9 for fat) equate to total calories.

If your daily caloric target is broken down into these three categories, adherents of IIFYM argue that you can eat anything at all as long as it fits your macros. In essence, they believe that there is no meaningful difference to your body, so long as you're not overconsuming or underconsuming in these three categories.

NOT THAT I'M TRYING TO PROSYLETIZE!

(edited to snip the answer to a question that someone else already answered for the sake of not wasting internets with extraneous characters that aren't needed and really just make the thread longer than it needs to be with superfluousness.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,022 Member
    Options
    In for pizza, cheeseburgers and poptarts. Oh -and French fries - those are my weakness.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I propose a IIFMB as a cult. I can only eat things that fit up ummm...er?

Let's see cucumbers? Bananas? Grapes. etc. I propose an island for this one as well. One with really good soil to grow such things.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm not an iifym cultist. I'm just the kind of iifym follower that keeps to himself unless asked and just laughs at all the clean eaters forcing nothing but chicken and rice down their throats every day while i indulge in delicious pop tarts
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    ETA: how the flip do people bold out parts of a quote?

You use the tags [ b ] and [ / b ].
    What is IIFYM?

"If It Fits Your Macros," eat it. Your macronutrients are Fat, Carbs, and Proteins. Grams of each multiplied by 4 (or 9 for fat) equate to total calories.

If your daily caloric target is broken down into these three categories, adherents of IIFYM argue that you can eat anything at all as long as it fits your macros. In essence, they believe that there is no meaningful difference to your body, so long as you're not overconsuming or underconsuming in these three categories.

What about sodium and sugar? Aren't tracking those just as, if not more important than the other three? I was under the impression that all five were part of the IIFYM lifestyle.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    What is IIFYM?

the food you eat is no more than (and no less than) the sum of its parts. focus on getting enough of each part each day and it doesn't matter what food you eat.

in other words,

pizza is a certain amount of protein, carbs (including fiber), and fat.
    rice is a certain amount of protein, carbs (including fiber), and fat.
    bananas are a certain amount of protein, carbs (including fiber), and fat.
    etc.

worry about protein, carbs (including fiber), and fat and it does not matter which food it comes from.

if that's a cult, i'm happy to be a member. at the end of this month, i'll be down around 100 lbs total and i've occasionally eaten pizza, bagels, gummy bears, chocolate, crackers, pop tarts, along with any other number of other foods (rice, fruits, beans, soups, yogurt, eggs, etc.) while losing that weight.

:happy:
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Burt, I think I love you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    If you are the leader... I will follow, Sire.

SILENCE; let us not frighten our neophyte adherents by allowing them too soon a glimpse into the higher order rites.
    Is MFP a cult as well?

Not at all . . .

It felt like a cult a minute ago when I could not log my foods and became suddenly panicked and paced around nervously before allowing myself to eat said Lorna Doone's by reminding myself of life before the internets.

Valley-Girl-Deborah-Foreman-Nicolas-Cage-chest-hair.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSem2kocwPX_-1TYZn_gwwqnSrmLZ_nuvml8qemJ26KbTcVREgv
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,022 Member
    Options

the food you eat is no more than (and no less than) the sum of its parts. focus on getting enough of each part each day and it doesn't matter what food you eat.

in other words,

pizza is a certain amount of protein, carbs (including fiber), and fat.
    rice is a certain amount of protein, carbs (including fiber), and fat.
    bananas are a certain amount of protein, carbs (including fiber), and fat.
    etc.

worry about protein, carbs (including fiber), and fat and it does not matter which food it comes from.

*fixed that for you
    **But not without screwing up the quotes. Ironic.
  • IronPlayground
    Options

What is IIFYM?

What about sodium and sugar? Aren't tracking those just as, if not more important than the other three? I was under the impression that all five were part of the IIFYM lifestyle.

Fiber should be in there. Sodium and sugar? Not unless there is a medical condition to do so.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

4f6452c1-3f3a-4c39-a340-a2ec2cb9b43c_zps46b8d8eb.jpg

I wonder which of them can run farther, lift heavier, and which has fewer conditions (high cholesterol, blood pressure, hypoglycemia, arthritis, etc). Health isn't purely skin-deep. Maybe that health guru just never applied lotion!

Yeah I just wanna be the pretty one. *hesitant smile*
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

What is IIFYM?

Fiber should be in there. Sodium and sugar? Not unless there is a medical condition to do so.

Huh. So it doesn't matter if I go 800 mg over on sodium and 50g over on sugar, so long as my carbs, fat and protein are all in check? Because I definitely do that, and it doesn't feel particularly healthy to me. I never go over on carbs except when I eat pasta or a lot of bread, and if I go over on fat or protein it's usually less than 10gs. However, I have been as much as 100gs over on sugar and 1,500mgs over on sodium with those numbers...
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I have my own cult... IDKWIDBIW

It's a little harder to say, but I'm seeing results!!!

Bring on the pizza, ice cream, and tacos!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Sign me up!
  • IronPlayground
    Options

What is IIFYM?

Huh. So it doesn't matter if I go 800 mg over on sodium and 50g over on sugar, so long as my carbs, fat and protein are all in check? Because I definitely do that, and it doesn't feel particularly healthy to me. I never go over on carbs except when I eat pasta or a lot of bread, and if I go over on fat or protein it's usually less than 10gs. However, I have been as much as 100gs over on sugar and 1,500mgs over on sodium with those numbers...

The sugar limit on here is quite low. A couple pieces of fruit will put you over. I really don't think it is something that someone with no medical issues related to sugar should worry about. If you are eating 85-90% nutritious foods, then it shouldn't be a concern.

I'd say the same for sodium. Although, you can feel bloated after a high sodium day. Staying hydrated can fix that.