I believe that IIFYM is a cult

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's a standard definition for IIFYM but I would argue that sodium is not a macronutrient but a micronutrient along the lines of other trace chemicals that the body needs - - anything measured in milligrams probably isn't "Macro". Similarly, with fiber, it isn't really nutritive. It's important but so are oxygen and water.

That makes sense. Sugar, however, is measured in grams... and it's true that at least in processed form, as the food pyramid says, there is no daily 'recommended' amount. Still, I'm curious to see if any IIFYMers set a cap or minimum on their sugar intake as well, or whether they just don't care about it or pay attention at all.

I'm an IIFYMer that largely follows a Mediterranean inspired dietary lifestyle in combination with a zone diet (40c/30p/30hf). I am always over on sugar because fruit and veg make up the bulk of my carbs, with some whole grains and the occasional ginger snap or something.

I eat roughly 3-4 servings of fruit per day and 5-6 servings of veg...lots of sugar, but I'm within my 40% carb macro so no biggie.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    We're in a cult? Well then let's play the part:

Who wants some koolaid?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

niner, what's in your koolaid?
    Aspartame.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

I'm an IIFYMer that largely follows a Mediterranean inspired dietary lifestyle in combination with a zone diet (40c/30p/30hf).

This sounds very zen. Good for you.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I was waiting for that! lollllllzzzzzz
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    tumblrmjj4mquyjm1qf0u3po1250_zps58065c7d.gif

I've been laughing at this for about 5 minutes, what was this topic again?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Me too.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    it doesn't have to be more meat. beans, yogurt, dairy, nuts all have protein. now you'll also see why so many people turn to protein supplement shakes, especially when building muscle.

And eggs! I nommed an absurd quantity of eggs for breakfast (but I'm trying to build muscle.) Bread has protein too believe it or not. I forget which the brands were but for a time I was eating hotdogs with less protein than the buns they were in. Sorta scary when you think about it . . .

Haha! Yeah, the thing is, I actually don't eat meat every day, or even every other day. Or bread for that matter. I'm all into yogurt (and other dairy), nuts, and eggs, though I suppose I should be eating more of them. I'm clicking back through my diary now and seeing many more red numbers :( if I had known that the MFP suggested carbs were too high I'd have changed them months ago! I'm certain now that that's why I haven't been seeing the scale go down as quickly as I'd hoped. Oh well, now I know.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's a standard definition for IIFYM but I would argue that sodium is not a macronutrient but a micronutrient along the lines of other trace chemicals that the body needs - - anything measured in milligrams probably isn't "Macro". Similarly, with fiber, it isn't really nutritive. It's important but so are oxygen and water.

That makes sense. Sugar, however, is measured in grams... and it's true that at least in processed form, as the food pyramid says, there is no daily 'recommended' amount. Still, I'm curious to see if any IIFYMers set a cap or minimum on their sugar intake as well, or whether they just don't care about it or pay attention at all.

I'm an IIFYMer that largely follows a Mediterranean inspired dietary lifestyle in combination with a zone diet (40c/30p/30hf). I am always over on sugar because fruit and veg make up the bulk of my carbs, with some whole grains and the occasional ginger snap or something.

I eat roughly 3-4 servings of fruit per day and 5-6 servings of veg...lots of sugar, but I'm within my 40% carb macro so no biggie.

Sounds good to me! I'm going to be creeping your diary for meal inspiration. Don't mind me...
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

be careful using the word "aspartame" or you'll wake up Mr. Murray and I'll have to battle him here and ratskep. shhhhhh......
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

be careful using the word "aspartame" or you'll wake up Mr. Murray and I'll have to battle him here and ratskep. shhhhhh......
    I'm ready!!!! Just tied 2 Ball Park franks together with a some sugar free chewed gum. Hot dog nun chucks.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I'm ready!!!! Just tied 2 Ball Park franks together with a some sugar free chewed gum. Hot dog nun chucks.

IDEA Fitness member

I almost snorted my espresso on the nun chucks...

Abtastic Chick
    MFP Addict
    Highly Amateur Boxer
    IDKWIDBIW Cult leader
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think the determining factor in whether or not something is a cult is whether or not its adherents are open to other ideas. Using this as my yard-stick, I'd say the clean-eaters on mfp seem more cult-like than the IIFYM followers. When research is thrown into an argument here the clean response seems more emotional while the IIFYM response seems more rational.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Me too.

i hope that guy survived. i really appreciate his careful 3-point turn under duress too. :bigsmile:

A.C.E. Bandage owner/user
    IKEA Furniture catalog recipient
    Sony Bravia Certified channel changer
    Been in humor for 45 years and have studied sarcasm and parody
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

Awesome!!!! Come at us Rich! :D
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    hope that guy survived. i really appreciate his careful 3-point turn under duress too. :bigsmile:

I thought the same thing. Only in Japan would someone carefully execute a 3 point turn instead of hopping the curb when a house is bearing down on them.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Me too.

i hope that guy survived. i really appreciate his careful 3-point turn under duress too. :bigsmile:

yeah... given the circumstances, and the vehicle he was driving... I'd be all "JUMP THE CURB YOU FOTHERMUCKER!!!"
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    weirdos
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

Me too.

yeah... given the circumstances, and the vehicle he was driving... I'd be all "JUMP THE CURB YOU FOTHERMUCKER!!!"

not a good time to pop the clutch, that's for sure.

• WinnerVictorious
    Options
    hope that guy survived. i really appreciate his careful 3-point turn under duress too. :bigsmile:

I thought the same thing. Only in Japan would someone carefully execute a 3 point turn instead of hopping the curb when a house is bearing down on them.

i can guess what single word he was screaming over and over though (at least the Japanese version of course)... :wink:

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

True - and as far as I'm aware, sugar is a component of carbohydrates. Based on my understanding, IIFYM logic would argue that limitless sugar is fine - - as long as you don't exceed your overall carbs.

Don't know what to tell you about the default MFP Macro split except for some reason it is crazy high in carbs by default.

Yeah, I just adjusted my ratios and my carbs plummeted and protein skyrocketed. Looks like I'm gonna have to wrap my head around eating more meat.

I thought sugar turned INTO carbs, but perhaps my naivete is showing. In any case it makes sense that that would fall under the carb category... still though, if you cut out all grains that leaves a lot of room for sugar!

You don't have to eat more meat. I always hit my macro target, usually without protein powder, and I am a vegetarian.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm not an iifym cultist. I'm just the kind of iifym follower that keeps to himself unless asked and just laughs at all the clean eaters forcing nothing but chicken and rice down their throats every day while i indulge in delicious pop tarts

I could care less about this thread, but Steve, if that's you in your profile pic then pop tarts do a body good!

How you doin?