I believe that IIFYM is a cult

Options

Replies

• Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    tumblrmjj4mquyjm1qf0u3po1250_zps58065c7d.gif

I've been laughing at this for about 5 minutes, what was this topic again?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Me too.

I cant stop laughing either ROFL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjcep9U0qQ1rdco3mo1_500.png

I may be part of this cult... just not so secret about it. :laugh:
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    If they had a flag it would be a poptart.

Did someone say poptart and ice cream?
    pop-tart-ice-cream-01.jpg
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    what is the deal with all the cult posts? this is silly and a waste of time to post such silly things. everyone has different things that work for them and different walks of life . just because someone choses a different diet/ lifestyle change doesn't make it a cult. next thing you know someone will post to wear glasses is a cult.

I believe his response will be "They started it".
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Hmm...I think I may need to change the pic on my ticker to this,
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Every religion is a cult.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options

I think I came just a little.............:embarassed:
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i love it!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I learn so much on the forums. What ever works for you .
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    definition of "Cult" from Merriam Webster.

1: formal religious veneration : worship
    2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5: a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
    b: the object of such devotion
    c: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Adherents are very devoted to the idea that as long as you are getting enough protein, fat, and carbohydrates, but not too much, you are eating a sufficient diet. Also they argue against any opposition.

Not trolling just curious how people feel about the IIFYM crowd. Let's ensure the community doesn't allow subjective responses, so the topic as a hole doesn't become divided.

With love,
    Burt

Yeah, cuz the macro defaults on MFP are the healthiest ratio and it would be a waste of time to use our own brain, monitor our own health and discover a more appropriate health promoting lifestyle.

OP: thanks for this thread. I am so sick of the one sided bashing of a certain lifestyle. Why does MFP play favourites (must be they don't like that some of us think their macro defaults SUCK)?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    The oldest living IIFYM'er is 89, the oldest living clean eater is 91, so lets wait for the verdict, shall we?

4f6452c1-3f3a-4c39-a340-a2ec2cb9b43c_zps46b8d8eb.jpg

Who said that a vegan/vegetarian diet is healthy? So by default, that means that other processed junk food (probably eaten in moderation by that celebrity or she would not be where she is) is healthy because a vegan diet is not? NO.

Edit: but I would agree that Nigella's diet is healthier if it includes animal products and adequate amounts of fat.
  • LaurenVamp
    LaurenVamp Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    tumblrmjj4mquyjm1qf0u3po1250_zps58065c7d.gif

I've been laughing at this for about 5 minutes, what was this topic again?

Obviously the OP does not posses the requirements for membersh...
    Pahahaha. Sorry I tried. Really, I did.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    What's a macro, and I can eat burgers all day if they fit in my macros...
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5: a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad

Adherents are very devoted to the idea that as long as you are getting enough protein, fat, and carbohydrates, but not too much, you are eating a sufficient diet. Also they argue against any opposition.

Not trolling just curious how people feel about the IIFYM crowd. Let's ensure the community doesn't allow subjective responses, so the topic as a hole doesn't become divided.

With love,
    Burt

Yeah, cuz the macro defaults on MFP are the healthiest ratio and it would be a waste of time to use our own brain, monitor our own health and discover a more appropriate health promoting lifestyle.

OP: thanks for this thread. I am so sick of the one sided bashing of a certain lifestyle. Why does MFP play favourites (must be they don't like that some of us think their macro defaults SUCK)?

I may be misreading this... but from what I know... most of the IIFYM cult members I know do NOT accept the MFP defaults. In fact, I don't know if any I know do...
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like eating whatever I want. No problems here. I am not fanatical, I think if it works for you and you are happy have at it. I eat what I want and try to keep my macros in a ballpark. It works fine for me so why change. My health markers are great, my competitions are great, my body is progressing. I enjoy it all.

why hate? :)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm in the YOLO cult.

Really? Funny...I thought all those members died off in 2011 shortly after that acronym originated.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think the determining factor in whether or not something is a cult is whether or not its adherents are open to other ideas. Using this as my yard-stick, I'd say the clean-eaters on mfp seem more cult-like than the IIFYM followers. When research is thrown into an argument here the clean response seems more emotional while the IIFYM response seems more rational.

a non IIFYM person who "gets" it. Kudos to you and your amazing non emotionally charged brain. :flowerforyou:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    That makes sense. Sugar, however, is measured in grams... and it's true that at least in processed form, as the food pyramid says, there is no daily 'recommended' amount. Still, I'm curious to see if any IIFYMers set a cap or minimum on their sugar intake as well, or whether they just don't care about it or pay attention at all.

True - and as far as I'm aware, sugar is a component of carbohydrates. Based on my understanding, IIFYM logic would argue that limitless sugar is fine - - as long as you don't exceed your overall carbs.

Don't know what to tell you about the default MFP Macro split except for some reason it is crazy high in carbs by default.

Crazy high in carbs and crazy low in fat but it's supposedly the epitomy of health for everyone. For those it works for, great, but if I had a dime for every thread titled "help me, I can lose weight, I can't stop craving, I just binged, I'm depressed, I keep failing, I'm losing my hair, I've got diabetes, etc" I'd be rich. For some reason, the logic that food affects health is just lost on most people. When the evidence challenges one's "beliefs", the beliefs usually win and the evidence is ignored/ridiculed and quickly disregarded.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. Sugar, however, is measured in grams... and it's true that at least in processed form, as the food pyramid says, there is no daily 'recommended' amount. Still, I'm curious to see if any IIFYMers set a cap or minimum on their sugar intake as well, or whether they just don't care about it or pay attention at all.

True - and as far as I'm aware, sugar is a component of carbohydrates. Based on my understanding, IIFYM logic would argue that limitless sugar is fine - - as long as you don't exceed your overall carbs.

Don't know what to tell you about the default MFP Macro split except for some reason it is crazy high in carbs by default.

Crazy high in carbs and crazy low in fat but it's supposedly the epitomy of health for everyone. For those it works for, great, but if I had a dime for every thread titled "help me, I can lose weight, I can't stop craving, I just binged, I'm depressed, I keep failing, I'm losing my hair, I've got diabetes, etc" I'd be rich. For some reason, the logic that food affects health is just lost on most people. When the evidence challenges one's "beliefs", the beliefs usually win and the evidence is ignored/ridiculed and quickly disregarded.

Yes, and these people are not losing weight because they are eating too much and excercising too little, not because they aren't "doing paleo".
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

With love,
    Burt

I may be misreading this... but from what I know... most of the IIFYM cult members I know do NOT accept the MFP defaults. In fact, I don't know if any I know do...

My experience is exactly the opposite. IIFYM people are usually refering to the defaults because they assume that the recommended high carb/low fat MFP plan is THE healthy way to eat and that eating junk is just fine IIFYM.