I believe that IIFYM is a cult

Options

Replies

• trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Huh. So it doesn't matter if I go 800 mg over on sodium and 50g over on sugar, so long as my carbs, fat and protein are all in check? Because I definitely do that, and it doesn't feel particularly healthy to me. I never go over on carbs except when I eat pasta or a lot of bread, and if I go over on fat or protein it's usually less than 10gs. However, I have been as much as 100gs over on sugar and 1,500mgs over on sodium with those numbers...

hell...I go 7,000mg over on sodium and like 300g over on sugar. I wouldnt claim to be healthy though....

IIFYM is more about body composition than overall health though. Sodium doesnt affect body composition, beyond water weight.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    oh shut up!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I have my own cult... IDKWIDBIW

It's a little harder to say, but I'm seeing results!!!

Bring on the pizza, ice cream, and tacos!

i wanna join mirey's cult!!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    tumblrmjj4mquyjm1qf0u3po1250_zps58065c7d.gif
    I literally snorted in the middle of a meeting and had to play it off like a sneeze.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    what is the deal with all the cult posts? this is silly and a waste of time to post such silly things. everyone has different things that work for them and different walks of life . just because someone choses a different diet/ lifestyle change doesn't make it a cult. next thing you know someone will post to wear glasses is a cult.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    ETA: how the flip do people bold out parts of a quote?

You use the tags [ b ] and [ / b ].
    What is IIFYM?

"If It Fits Your Macros," eat it. Your macronutrients are Fat, Carbs, and Proteins. Grams of each multiplied by 4 (or 9 for fat) equate to total calories.

If your daily caloric target is broken down into these three categories, adherents of IIFYM argue that you can eat anything at all as long as it fits your macros. In essence, they believe that there is no meaningful difference to your body, so long as you're not overconsuming or underconsuming in these three categories.

NOT THAT I'M TRYING TO PROSYLETIZE!

What about sodium and sugar? Aren't tracking those just as, if not more important than the other three? I was under the impression that all five were part of the IIFYM lifestyle.

Fiber should be in there. Sodium and sugar? Not unless there is a medical condition to do so.

Huh. So it doesn't matter if I go 800 mg over on sodium and 50g over on sugar, so long as my carbs, fat and protein are all in check? Because I definitely do that, and it doesn't feel particularly healthy to me. I never go over on carbs except when I eat pasta or a lot of bread, and if I go over on fat or protein it's usually less than 10gs. However, I have been as much as 100gs over on sugar and 1,500mgs over on sodium with those numbers...

The sugar limit on here is quite low. A couple pieces of fruit will put you over. I really don't think it is something that someone with no medical issues related to sugar should worry about. If you are eating 85-90% nutritious foods, then it shouldn't be a concern.

I'd say the same for sodium. Although, you can feel bloated after a high sodium day. Staying hydrated can fix that.

I'm not, though. Eating 85-90% nutritious foods. I have good and bad days but right now I'd say it's less than 70%, depending on what you consider 'nutritious'. (Is it whether the foods are highly processed or not?) However, what I'm eating technically "fits my macros" most days. I'm usually under on carbs, a little under on protein, and just barely over on fat.

So... I'm confused. Am I eating IIFYM-style or not?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

forget the Gord, follow the Abs!

270929186_44459e86c6_o.jpg
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

What is IIFYM?

"If It Fits Your Macros," eat it. Your macronutrients are Fat, Carbs, and Proteins. Grams of each multiplied by 4 (or 9 for fat) equate to total calories.

If your daily caloric target is broken down into these three categories, adherents of IIFYM argue that you can eat anything at all as long as it fits your macros. In essence, they believe that there is no meaningful difference to your body, so long as you're not overconsuming or underconsuming in these three categories.

What about sodium and sugar? Aren't tracking those just as, if not more important than the other three? I was under the impression that all five were part of the IIFYM lifestyle.

Fiber should be in there. Sodium and sugar? Not unless there is a medical condition to do so.

The sugar limit on here is quite low. A couple pieces of fruit will put you over. I really don't think it is something that someone with no medical issues related to sugar should worry about. If you are eating 85-90% nutritious foods, then it shouldn't be a concern.

I'd say the same for sodium. Although, you can feel bloated after a high sodium day. Staying hydrated can fix that.

I'm not, though. Eating 85-90% nutritious foods. I have good and bad days but right now I'd say it's less than 70%, depending on what you consider 'nutritious'. (Is it whether the foods are highly processed or not?) However, what I'm eating technically "fits my macros" most days, so... I'm confused. Am I eating IIFYM-style or not?

your macros are probably set improperly. your protein and fats are daily MINIMUMS. then whatever is leftover is carbs. it's not hard. figure out your proper protein and fats and try to exceed those every day and you'll be ok.

tracking carbs (sugars) probably only really matters for diabetics and others with medical conditions that require them to track that. same with sodium. if you have HBP, it's probably not a bad idea to track that. otherwise, meh.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    tumblrmjj4mquyjm1qf0u3po1250_zps58065c7d.gif
    I literally snorted in the middle of a meeting and had to play it off like a sneeze.

Gesundheit
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

forget the Gord, follow the Abs!

270929186_44459e86c6_o.jpg

YAY!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    what is the deal with all the cult posts? this is silly and a waste of time to post such silly things. everyone has different things that work for them and different walks of life . just because someone choses a different diet/ lifestyle change doesn't make it a cult. next thing you know someone will post to wear glasses is a cult.
    untitled.png

243305-get_attachmentaspx_3_super.jpg
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    What is IIFYM?

If I f^&* your mother. It's for MILF appreciators.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

What is IIFYM?

I'm not, though. Eating 85-90% nutritious foods. I have good and bad days but right now I'd say it's less than 70%, depending on what you consider 'nutritious'. (Is it whether the foods are highly processed or not?) However, what I'm eating technically "fits my macros" most days, so... I'm confused. Am I eating IIFYM-style or not?

your macros are probably set improperly. your protein and fats are daily MINIMUMS. then whatever is leftover is carbs. it's not hard. figure out your proper protein and fats and try to exceed those every day and you'll be ok.

tracking carbs (sugars) probably only really matters for diabetics and others with medical conditions that require them to track that. same with sodium. if you have HBP, it's probably not a bad idea to track that. otherwise, meh.

I agree with this. Your diary isn't open so can't tell where you macros are set, but if at MFP defaults, then they may need to be adjusted.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is higher on the chain than any particular diet.

If someone asks:

Q: Can I eat 100% paleo and be healthy and lose weight?
    A: Yes IIFYM

Q: Can I eat 100% clean all the time and still be healthy and lose weight?
    A Yes IIFYM

Q: Can I eat clean most of the time with occasional treats and still be healthy and lose weight?

Q: Can I cut out all/most carbs and still be healthy and lose weight?
    A Yes IIFYM

Q: Can I eat only vegitarian/vegan and still be healthy and lose weight?

Q: Can I have ice cream everyday and still be healthy and lose wieght?

You see where this is going.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's a standard definition for IIFYM but I would argue that sodium is not a macronutrient but a micronutrient along the lines of other trace chemicals that the body needs - - anything measured in milligrams probably isn't "Macro". Similarly, with fiber, it isn't really nutritive. It's important but so are oxygen and water.
  • Ramberta
    Options

What is IIFYM?

I agree with this. Your diary isn't open so can't tell where you macros are set, but if at MFP defaults, then they may need to be adjusted.

I am currently at 241 lbs. My macros for a daily calorie goal of 2,050 (my calculated 20% TDEE deficit, rounded up by like 6 cals) are as follows:
    Carbs: 282 Fat: 68 Protein: 77 Sugar: 35 Sodium: 2,500

If these are too high/low, can someone please message me (or just tell me here I suppose) as to how I can determine a better macro setting?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I'm not in that cult, I'm in the if it fits your micros cult. Mine is better than yours.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    I don't know if there's a standard definition for IIFYM but I would argue that sodium is not a macronutrient but a micronutrient along the lines of other trace chemicals that the body needs - - anything measured in milligrams probably isn't "Macro". Similarly, with fiber, it isn't really nutritive. It's important but so are oxygen and water.

That makes sense. Sugar, however, is measured in grams... and it's true that at least in processed form, as the food pyramid says, there is no daily 'recommended' amount. Still, I'm curious to see if any IIFYMers set a cap or minimum on their sugar intake as well, or whether they just don't care about it or pay attention at all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is higher on the chain than any particular diet.

If someone asks:

Q: Can I eat 100% paleo and be healthy and lose weight?

Q: Can I eat 100% clean all the time and still be healthy and lose weight?
    A Yes IIFYM

Q: Can I eat clean most of the time with occasional treats and still be healthy and lose weight?

Q: Can I cut out all/most carbs and still be healthy and lose weight?
    A Yes IIFYM

Q: Can I eat only vegitarian/vegan and still be healthy and lose weight?

Q: Can I have ice cream everyday and still be healthy and lose wieght?

You see where this is going.

Nice^^^^^

1240850747_creative-soccer-player.gif
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. Sugar, however, is measured in grams... and it's true that at least in processed form, as the food pyramid says, there is no daily 'recommended' amount. Still, I'm curious to see if any IIFYMers set a cap or minimum on their sugar intake as well, or whether they just don't care about it or pay attention at all.

True - and as far as I'm aware, sugar is a component of carbohydrates. Based on my understanding, IIFYM logic would argue that limitless sugar is fine - - as long as you don't exceed your overall carbs.

Don't know what to tell you about the default MFP Macro split except for some reason it is crazy high in carbs by default.