Dancer bodies?

Options

Replies

• supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    A large part is genetics

This... but it's also choice.

I have a "thick" lower body by genetics and broad shoulders. I'm an endurance runner because running is "easy" for me. Shoulders/bi's/tri's day and back/chest day are hard for me... but legs day is my favorite!

As such, I'll never look like a bikini fitness competitor because I lack the motivation/dedication to get to that point. I'll also never be a sprinter because, well, that's just not enough for me. My preference is to run 3 to 10 miles at a time... because that's what I like.

I run because I love it. I strength train to make sure I can run for as many years as i can.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'd better go. Thanks for all of the informative replies, guys. :laugh: And to clear up any misconceptions...

I don't want to be a dancer or look like a dancer, I don't think you can change your genetics, and I don't think you can stretch or lengthen a muscle. I'm just interested in how body composition differs across different athletic pursuits. That's really all!

tumblr_mf5vyojic91qf4egm.gif

:flowerforyou: Great gif!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I've been dancing since I was 11 and when I went off to college the dance teachers had a meeting and then asked me to major in dance. No one ever told me that being petite was a barrier to being a dancer (not when I was younger and doing ballet and not when I was in college for modern dance because I ended up preferring it). In fact, I was always told being petite was a plus as a dancer and was what they wanted. I never tried to pursue a career as a ballet dancer, so maybe that's different. Just seems like a lot of people are claiming that dancers that are petite won't be successful. But, dancers are all different heights. Height does not play a part, unless the company prefers only tall dancers.

The teacher that asked me to be in her class and major in dance had also choreographed for Baryshnikov (when he ventured into contemporary dance) and had danced with the Twyla Tharp company and was very successful in many areas of the dance world.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    George Balanchine (NYC Ballet) HIGHLY selected dancers for a specific look (the 'Balanchine body', google it). This look hugely influenced other companies and schools. Girls and teens and professional dancers (esp in ballet) have been starving themselves for years to imitate it.

Contemporary dancers have strong, beautiful bodies as well, but different aesthetic types are allowed in that world.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a blaaerina, she looks amazing and can do things with her body that defy logic.

She also can not run or ride a bicycle but she is no less an athlete. She just trains is a different way for a different purpose.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    For your viewing pleasure, I present to you ballet god Roberto Bolle.

tumblr_mf01fazcod1qg3jdeo1_500.jpg

OH. :love: Well I'll stick around for that...

May I keep you company?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    dancers are using their own body weight and do a ton of stretching which will lengthen

I disagree. The training of a ballet dancer is totally different to the training of somebody lifting weights to try to show muscles. Ballerinas use their own bodies as weights.

Hannibal the King also uses his own body as his only form of resistance training

E11eltn.jpg
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Strength training is going to bulk you up, your going to have a toned look and a very visble defined look. When your a dancer you do not want a defined look, you want a smooth gentle look the way a dancer trains her body is by stretching, constricting, balance, and core. Your movements are very controlled and concentration is very important. When your weight training your focused on the muscles your building at the time not every single one at once. If your looking for a true understanding i suggest looking into a dancers workout they have one they have been advertising.

If you want a toned, hard, defined look strength train with bouts of cardio.

If you want a smooth gentle look core, cardio, and balance are key.

pretty much nonsense here

agreed...just no

What they said. Majority of the beauties I have on my flist lift heavy and none of them are bulky... Infact unless they flex they have a very soft feminine look.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm on a quest. I'm a tall girl with the eventual goal of lifting heavy and still being super flexible dancer girl. We'll see where that lands me. Nothing bad has happened yet.

My first point would be many of those pictures are directed to different things. A picture of me stretching looks a lot different then a picture of me flexing.

The other thing I'll add is one looks shorter then the other hence the other one looks longer.

Genetics have a play on where people carry their fat naturally, keep that in mind. I know heavy lifters with scrawny arms. I always hated my flabby arms because they were larger and started getting slimmer with weight training (yep, even after all those years of dancing since I was 8).

To gain more muscle mass you need a calorie surplus and heavy lifting. To bulk up, you need to eat more.

To lean out you need a calorie deficit, and you can still lift heavy. If you are on a calorie deficit, you will only get thinner. And as someone pointed out, you cannot bulk up on a calorie deficit. Things will only get smaller over time. And yep, pretty much look like that. That's currently the goal in my head. We'll see what happens. So far so good:

1.jpg

If you see someone with a lot of mass they had a lot of effort and calories to put it there or worked hard to maintained a lot of their muscle mass when they weighed significantly more. It takes a long time to put on muscle. All in all, if you continue to lose weight, you will continue to lose it.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Oh Dave, I could lift thousands of pounds and never get chunky muscles. Really. :)

tumblr_lwzq3sXHg11r7frapo1_500.jpg
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I want to contribute that zuzana works her arm and upper body muscles a lot and ballerinas (although they do have to hold up their arms for long periods of time) do not work their upper body as much as zuzana does I don't think. Zuz has more muscle mass too I think.

Otherwise I agree with most of the other posters that said the correct things ie can't lengthen muscles, genetics, etc.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Your right - I've only been HERE half a year.

and I've only been here a week... apparently life begins with MFP :laugh:

and
    Well, the clear winner is the girl with the boobs. Fake or not, I don't care.

That is all.

this ^
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Carlos, I love ya brother, but this theory is just as valid as the one that johnnyboy is shooting down.

There is no lengthening of muscles. It's total selection bias. You, the OP, and everyone else that is talking about "dancer bodies" or "yoga bodies" or even "football bodies" or "basketball bodies" is picking out pictures of person that was genetically disposed to have the type of body that you like and they you're extrapolating that they did some special form of training to get there.

There are short dancers. And fat dancers. And muscular dancers. Same with yogis, or football players, or whatever type of body you prefer. But you're picking out the one type, tall and lean, that you like while ignoring all the other people with different bodies that do the same exact training.

For your theory of specific training leading to a specific bodytype adaptation, you'd need to provide examples of a dancer (or whatever) that had these short bulky muscles that the OP want to avoid, and then started stretching, and doing BW exercises, and dancer training, and the morphed into the lithe body frame that she is today.

I appreciate what you're saying. By comparing dancers to Zuzanna, I was trying to show something on the opposite end of the scale. Of course, I'm not genetically programmed to look like a ballet dancer, nor am I trying to look like one, but I was interested to know if there is a way to avoid the slight bulkiness that Zuzanna has and achieve something more lithe looking, yet still strong and fit.

You won't get the bulkiness without intending to... a) your body doesn't naturally produce enough testosterone to bulk without intention b) her body fat is very low... you can't get there without trying... really trying... really really trying. c) she works out for a living... again she looks that way because she designed her life to produce that body.

Looking like Zuzka doesn't come "naturally" or "accidentally." Don't worry... it won't happen without significant effort.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Zuzanna is hot.

Yeah, that's all I've got.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The muscles look longer because they are smaller. Skinny people aren't elongated compared to fat people. They're just thinner.
    THIS. Percentage of actual lean muscle dictates how one will look.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    dancers are using their own body weight and do a ton of stretching which will lengthen
    Defies human physiology if one can lengthen muscle from stretching. Stretching is for flexibility purposes. If your muscles are anchored already from one end of a bone (via a tendon) to another, how do you "de anchor" it from stretching?

IDEA Fitness member
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Rephrase.

Why do some women have the chunkier muscles like Zuzanna, and others have longer, lean muscles? Maybe I'm not asking this question right?

Genetics.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I danced professionally (modern and modern-ballet) for two decades. At my leanest (13% body fat) my arms looked a hell of a lot like Zuzanna's. I did not do anything except dance and yoga and starve myself.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Zuzanna is hot.

Yeah, that's all I've got.

Yep, that sums it up for me too.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Defies human physiology if one can lengthen muscle from stretching. Stretching is for flexibility purposes. If your muscles are anchored already from one end of a bone (via a tendon) to another, how do you "de anchor" it from stretching?

IDEA Fitness member

To clarify, I am not talking about lengthening the muscle by moving the anchor points. I agree that would be impossible unless by unfortunate accident.

I am talking about maximising the potential range of the muscle between those anchor points. Many people and especially lifters who do not stretch regularly have a lesser range of movement compared to a dancer, yogi, acrobat etc and the visual appearance can be that the stretched muscle is longer more sleek simply because as you extend a muscle it becomes narrower at the midpoint - for example opening up your arm will extend and narrow the bicep, contracting will thicken the bicep.

The photos that are being uploaded to illustrate long muscles in dancers are pretty much all pictures showing extreme flexibility so of course the muscles will look longer comared to the lifter photos where the muscles are being deliberately contracted to maximise the appearance of increased muscle mass.

A body can appear to be both, depending on whether the body is contracted or stretched.

Also, dancers, yogis, gymnasts tend to work with bodyweight rather than extrenal weights. This increases muscle strength without adding muscle mass to a point; a smaller muscle looks relatively longer as has been agreed.