FITNESS MYTHS and EXCUSES YOU CAN'T STAND!!!

Options

Replies

• Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The thing that annoys me the most comes from my partner. "I don't have time, it's all nice for you, but I have to work 10 hour shifts. I don't have the time to count calories and exercise." I'm like REALLY?! How do you think every other person on the planet works out and loses weight? *facepalm* She can be so infuriating at times.
  • Ayirela
    Options
    I can't stand "muscle weighs more than fat" Drives me nuts. 1 pound = 1 pound regardless of what it is made of. Muscle is denser than fat so 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat!

^^ OMG THIS RIGHT HERE IS MY ALL TIME #1 PET PEEVE!!

While I agree that a pound is a pound. It might be a mechanism some tell themselves as they lose weight while lifting to understand that inches lost are better than pounds. Thus being the mass of a pound of feathers is quite larger than the mass of a pound of bricks. So while weight might be the same. I can understand why people would say it weighs more, rather than thinking of the mass.
  • kimberlyrachelle
    Options
    I signed up for MFP but I'm not losing any weight.

Well, are you logging daily? Are you working out? A website will not make you lose weight.

Yes^^^
    Also I don't have time to cook meals at home, cheaper/faster/etc to eat out or fast food!
  • dlveck
    dlveck Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    "I have to do cardio to lose the fat first. If I start lifting now I'll just be building muscle beneath the fat."

I'm doing the cardio first to gain the stamina needed to do more aggressive exercises and lifting. I went from ZERO exercise and ZERO stamina to 30 minutes now on the elliptical. Before I couldn't even walk up the stairs so there was no way I could muster through muscle building exercises. I'm putting strength training into my program a little at a time.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am not a gym type of person.

~What is a gym type person because where I go there is mix of everyone?

I don't have enough time to exercise because I have kids.

~The YMCA has a child daycare area so what other reason is there?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I can't stand "muscle weighs more than fat" Drives me nuts. 1 pound = 1 pound regardless of what it is made of. Muscle is denser than fat so 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat!

While I agree that a pound is a pound. It might be a mechanism some tell themselves as they lose weight while lifting to understand that inches lost are better than pounds. Thus being the mass of a pound of feathers is quite larger than the mass of a pound of bricks. So while weight might be the same. I can understand why people would say it weighs more, rather than thinking of the mass.

*Density.

A pound of feathers and a pound of lead have the same mass. They have different densities.

Weight is a function of mass and gravity. Weight is variable based on position. Mass is not. Density determines the relative size of the objects.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    1) LIFTING WEIGHTS WILL MAKE WOMEN BULKY.... NOO!!!!!:explode:

2) I actually heard this: "I can't squat because I have bad knees.... besides, it's not like i use that in my everyday life."

WHAAT?! No. You have bad knees BECAUSE you don't squat.

And if you don't think you use it in everyday life, i'd like to know how you get on and off the toilet. :huh:

What are some of the "myths" and excuses you can't stand to hear????

Hold it sister, don’t generalize, judge, and try to assume that you know everything. I don’t squat because I CAN 'T, AND I SHOULD’N according to my doctor.

I have bad knees because I have arthritis and torn meniscus in both of them. They are bad because of my problem; they are not bad because I don’t squat. And I am sure that I am not the only one having that problem.

Just eat what you want, exercise to your heart content and stop worrying about somebody else exercise routine.

I have arthritis in both knees and was always in pain from my knees - until I started doing heavy squats below parallel. Now, the knee pain is gone because I've strengthened all the muscle around them.
  • justlittlem
    Options
    None because no one else's fitness routine is my business.
    ^

Unless it's some helpful pointers I can follow :D
  • Ayirela
    Options

*Density.

A pound of feathers and a pound of lead have the same mass. They have different densities.

Weight is a function of mass and gravity. Weight is variable based on position. Mass is not. Density determines the relative size of the objects.

Thank you, Density then :) lol either way that is what I think happens most of the time. My bad on using the wrong wording :) but hopefully the point was still made, even though I now feel like an ignorant b*stard lol
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Biggest pet peeve in excuses? "I'm scared" WTF is there to be scared of? Being fit, being thin, living longer?

That's what "weighs more" means. :grumble:

My pet peeve is people who use the 1 pound = 1 pound line! Ok so 1 pound of lead weighs the same as 1 pound of cotton wool. So lead and cotton wool weigh the same? NO
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

*Density.

Thank you, Density then :) lol either way that is what I think happens most of the time. My bad on using the wrong wording :) but hopefully the point was still made, even though I now feel like an ignorant b*stard lol

This whole argument always amuses me. In practical terms, saying muscle weighs more than fat is mostly accurate, because the "equal volume" part is implied. a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat, same as a cubic inch of lead weighs more than a cubic inch of feathers. In practical terms people are thinking of an equal volume.

Imagine 2 arms, same length and bone structure. They have the same measurements. One arm is on a person with 30% body fat, and one arm is on a person with 8% body fat. The 8% arm (the one that contains more muscle) weighs more. This is what allows us, in practical terms, to say that muscle weighs more than fat. Is it accurate in that theoretical universe we learned about in math and physics in high school? no. But is it "right"? sure.

Wasnt trying to make you feel ignorant. I just enjoy the vehement arguments on both sides. BOTH answers are correct.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The problem is with the misunderstanding of the scientific meanings + the english language confusing things around "weight".

But really, first year science.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    "No pain no gain"......excercising does not have to hurt to be good for you

"the faster you go the better it is"......wrong its not a race to be first across the line go at your own pace, its more about technique than speed

the best i heard was "my instructor told me not to have resistance on the treadmill as its not a good way to get fit", my answer was so how come you have been on there for the same time as me (30mins ) and I have burned 3 times the calories! (not that I trust the calories on the machines totally ) The gym is full of ignorant people who go there to be seen 'look at me!' as my daugher calls them, LAMs for short

there are so many myths out there its scary

why do all the young boys in the gym all come in train and have to have a protein/energy supplement ?
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't have enough time to exercise because I have kids.

~The YMCA has a child daycare area so what other reason is there?

I'm not picking on you specifically, but there are several people who have made this point. Again, it has to do with priorities. If my kid spends all day in daycare. I don't want to pick him up from daycare to take him somewhere else for more daycare. I want to spend time with him. This also goes to support the woman who said that dinner takes 45 minutes with her teenagers. Perhaps that's the only time that family has to spend together talking about their day and reconnecting, so 45 minutes is really not that long. My son and my family are my priority.

That being said, I work out 6 nights per week after my son's gone to bed. My husband works many nights, so on the rare nights he is home, I feel guilty for working out because it means less time with him, but he understands the sacrifice. When my son is older (he's only 1) I look forward to being able to have my "workouts" be family time spent running around at the park, etc. 60 minutes in the gym is not the only way to get a workout. Chasing your kid around, throwing them up in the air, rolling on the ground and giggling, etc., for an hour probably burns just as many calories and does wonders on the psyche.

ETA: As far as the excuses/myths, they exist because people need to believe they are true. A person has to be truly ready to make a lifestyle change, whether it be quitting smoking, getting healthier, etc. Until they get to that point, they will make excuses. Instead of blasting them for their excuses, how about realizing that they just aren't ready to change, and no amount of belittling or pushing will change their minds. If they constantly ***** that they are too fat, etc. and make up loads of excuses, it is your choice whether or not to remain in that person's life, excuses and all.
  • asnnbrg
    asnnbrg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised I haven't noticed anyone bringing up the real problem with "muscle weighs more than fat." Of course a pound is a pound. I suspect most people are talking about volume rather than weight, in which case a 6" cube of muscle weighs more than a 6" cube of fat (hence, muscle weighs "more" or is denser than fat).

The real problem with that statement is that many people use it to excuse weight gain or they ignore the fact that their weight isn't muscle but fat - goes along with the "big boned" thing, really. In most cases, unless someone is a body builder or is exceptionally fit, having a too-high BMI isn't generally because one is extremely muscular and therefore heavier but because people are simply carrying too much weight for their height. Lots of people ignore or explain away those high BMIs because "muscle weighs more than fat," or they blame their sudden weight gain on muscle rather than examining their diet to make sure it's still in line with their goals.

I don't see this as an excuse but as a very widespread myth that needs to be busted or misunderstanding that needs to be cleared up, and people need to understand the very real health risks of carrying too much weight.

ETA, When it comes to weight loss: The scale can go up at the beginning of a new or intense exercise routine. As long as you aren't eating more, that's not muscle weight being added but water retention. If the scale isn't budging BUT your clothes are getting looser, that's probably because you're gaining muscle and losing at.
  • Ayirela
    Options

*Density.

This whole argument always amuses me. In practical terms, saying muscle weighs more than fat is mostly accurate, because the "equal volume" part is implied. a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat, same as a cubic inch of lead weighs more than a cubic inch of feathers. In practical terms people are thinking of an equal volume.

Imagine 2 arms, same length and bone structure. They have the same measurements. One arm is on a person with 30% body fat, and one arm is on a person with 8% body fat. The 8% arm (the one that contains more muscle) weighs more. This is what allows us, in practical terms, to say that muscle weighs more than fat. Is it accurate in that theoretical universe we learned about in math and physics in high school? no. But is it "right"? sure.

Wasnt trying to make you feel ignorant. I just enjoy the vehement arguments on both sides. BOTH answers are correct.

HaHa no I personally felt ignorant for using mass over density. Maybe I need to bust out some old college books so I quit looking so stupid. LOL But yes, thanks for explaining that better than I could.
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    squats!! I know I say that because of my knees!!! ok, I am going to research this... safe squats for older folks!! Thanks for posting that... I really didn't know this!!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    "I'll start on .... (insert whatever random b.s. excuse to put off fitness, i.e. Monday/Lent/New Year's/whenever such-and-such happens)."

It isn't going to be any easier if you put it off.
  • asnnbrg
    asnnbrg Posts: 34 Member
    Options

ETA: As far as the excuses/myths, they exist because people need to believe they are true. A person has to be truly ready to make a lifestyle change, whether it be quitting smoking, getting healthier, etc. Until they get to that point, they will make excuses. Instead of blasting them for their excuses, how about realizing that they just aren't ready to change, and no amount of belittling or pushing will change their minds.

Yes! This is it exactly! I was extremely fit in my 20s, but having a series of miscarriages and then having three kids in less than three years really left me very overweight and out of shape. That may sound like excuses to some of you, but stress and emotional turmoil take a lot out of a person, and if you don't prioritize yourself, well, they can just keep taking. And they did. Then, of course, I had three kids under the age of three. That was a very busy time in my life, and my husband was working 12-16 hour days, and I literally had no time to myself. I could have ditched housework to exercise, but I didn't. I could have shipped my kids off to a babysitter, but I didn't. That's because of my priorities.

As my kids got older, I was still busy. I was working full-time (I'm self-employed) and home schooling. You want to talk busy? I was (and am) busy. My husband still works 12 hour days. Finally, though, I realized that *I* needed to make myself a priority. *I* needed to change for *me*. Once I made myself a priority, it became a lot easier to get that hour or so of exercise in everyday, and wow, do I feel good about myself. I'm still fat, but hey, I didn't gain weight overnight, and I'm sure as heck not going to lose it overnight.

You might all see those as excuses, but you see, I don't owe you excuses. I wasn't a priority in my own life. Now I am. It's really, truly just as simple as that. And once your friends, acquaintances or family members make themselves a priority, you're only going to hear "excuses." Maybe instead of judging you could try supporting them and letting them know how worthy they really are of being a priority.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Honestly I get the time and money arguments. The timing isn't always right to make a huge lifestyle change (whether it be fitness, moving, job related, etc). It really only bothers me when I KNOW the person does have both time and money, e.g. they're complaining about their weight 2 hours into happy hour. But really it comes down to this: you can have excuses or you can have results; not both.

^^LOVE THIS^^