FITNESS MYTHS and EXCUSES YOU CAN'T STAND!!!

Options
1) LIFTING WEIGHTS WILL MAKE WOMEN BULKY.... NOO!!!!!:explode:

2) I actually heard this: "I can't squat because I have bad knees.... besides, it's not like i use that in my everyday life."

WHAAT?! No. You have bad knees BECAUSE you don't squat.

And if you don't think you use it in everyday life, i'd like to know how you get on and off the toilet. :huh:

What are some of the "myths" and excuses you can't stand to hear????

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options

And if you don't think you use it in everyday life, i'd like to know how you get on and off the toilet. :huh:

a system of ropes and pulleys?
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

lol, i suppose it'd be a good way to learn rope climbs.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any excuses, but especially "I don't have time." No, you don't make time. And that's fine if you have other priorities, but dag, own your choice.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    "I don't have time."

Yes you do. Do you have time to watch your favorite TV show? Browse the internet? Talk on the phone?

Then you have an hour...half hour...ANYthing...to exercise.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I can't stand "muscle weighs more than fat" Drives me nuts. 1 pound = 1 pound regardless of what it is made of. Muscle is denser than fat so 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat!

Biggest pet peeve in excuses? "I'm scared" WTF is there to be scared of? Being fit, being thin, living longer?
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I can't stand "muscle weighs more than fat" Drives me nuts. 1 pound = 1 pound regardless of what it is made of. Muscle is denser than fat so 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat!

Biggest pet peeve in excuses? "I'm scared" WTF is there to be scared of? Being fit, being thin, living longer?

agree with the muscle/fat debocle. It's about the density. aaack, lol.

not having time..... a workout is 4% of your day. Copout!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Overtraining.
  • AmazingRed
    AmazingRed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Brittaney,
    While I too share your exasperation with people who opt to not be fit and then complain about it. Please be careful how you throw around comments about pain. I do not do squats or lunges because I've had reconstructive surgery on my knee 4 times and the pain is excruciating. I work on exercises to continue to gain muscle strength, but your comment was hurtful. In this community I think we all need to try to stay a little more judgement free.
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Sometimes I do need a system to get on/off the toilet after squat and lunge day. ;)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Sometimes I do need a system to get on/off the toilet after squat and lunge day. ;)

I developed a stop drop and roll technique for those days!!!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    "I can't lose weight because of my genetics, so why bother?"

THIS DRIVES ME INSANE!!! Like 90% of my family is big (on my mom AND my dad's side) yet I am succeeding.....
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options

I did deadlifts and lunges on Monday. Tuesday morning, I pretty much leaned against the sink, then rolled toward the toilet, using a push-up motion to help lower me down! :blushing: :laugh:
  • Sla6adm
    Sla6adm Posts: 31
    Options
    That 1200 is a starvation level for absolutely everyone regardless of height and size, and activity levels. Jeez. i work in a hospital and there must be loads of negligent doctors putting gastric band patients on 600 cal a day diets . . . .
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My friend who doesn't use her treadmill, which is right in front of her big screen tv, because it's "boring" but who can sit on the couch and watch said big screen tv for hours. How is the treadmill more boring that just sitting on the couch?

And the other excuse that really bothers me is "I just don't like water so I can't drink it."
  • huuxue
    huuxue Posts: 23
    Options
    "I'm too stressed to go to the gym." Excercise is probably one of the best things you can do for stress. -facepalm-
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options

2) I actually heard this: "I can't squat because I have bad knees.... besides, it's not like i use that in my everyday life."

WHAAT?! No. You have bad knees BECAUSE you don't squat.

This is so wrong. There may be perhaps SOME cases this may be true but people, believe it or not, can actually have problems with their knees where it is astounding they can walk and someone just telling them 'it is BECAUSE you don't squat' is clearly not the answer.

Excuses 'I am trying my hardest but I keep messing up' ... then no, you aren't trying your hardest.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

The first thing I pictured was the episode of Family Guy when Peter asks to use Joe's bathroom :laugh:

I get annoyed when I hear people say they're on birth control and they can't lose. I used to think that too but I know (and knew it at the time as well) that was just an excuse. I'm still on birth control and I've still lost 37 pounds. For some people if they have a bad reaction to it, perhaps it's the case but if you put your mind to it, workout, watch what you eat, you'll lose weight.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I overheard this in my office the other day:

"I had a friend who used to workout and use supplements like protein powder. He's stopped working out and now he's huge. That's why I say no to supplements."

I didn't say anything, but I wanted to. I wanted to say his friend got fat because he stopped working out and probably ate way more than he needed to. But, I held my tongue. I've only been at Crossfit and seriously working out since September. Besides, what would a girl like me know about lifting? <-- something else I hate.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Brittaney,
    While I too share your exasperation with people who opt to not be fit and then complain about it. Please be careful how you throw around comments about pain. I do not do squats or lunges because I've had reconstructive surgery on my knee 4 times and the pain is excruciating. I work on exercises to continue to gain muscle strength, but your comment was hurtful. In this community I think we all need to try to stay a little more judgement free.

At least someone else spotted this extremely insulting comment also. OP should really think before assuming everyone has the same capabilities as somebody else.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no time
    too tired.
    bull**** to both.