FITNESS MYTHS and EXCUSES YOU CAN'T STAND!!!

Options

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    "I can't squat because of bad knees."

and the most annoying cop out
    "I don't have time to exercise"
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    "Its genetics"

No, its really not. My entire family is overweight/unhealthy, and I am an athlete. It's not genetics, its sh***y lifestyle choices.

Oh, and "I hate eating vegetables/I'm a super picky eater"

Really? I hate paying my bills, yet I still do it, because I am an adult, not a 5 year old
  • fionahay
    fionahay Posts: 44
    Options
    "Why are you taking protein powder? That's going to make you gain weight."

"Wahhhhh I gained 5 pounds since last Friday and I didn't do anything different except eat out every night this weekend..... it must be muscle."

Women: "I would lift weights but I don't want to be big like those female body builders. Just toned and sexy."

"What's a good workout to target fat in *insert specific area*?"

"I ran a mile today so I deserve this cheeseburger."

I agree with all of these!
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    "Women just aren't meant to run except for the really skinny ones that are built like men."- my mother after I told her about my foot injury. :laugh: :noway: :laugh:

I'm going to run no matter how many little injuries I get here and there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You must lift heavy to look good naked, build muscle, improve strength and/or improve body composition.

Bodyweight won't achieve the result listed above.

More than 30 min of cardio is a waste of time.

Low weights and high reps are a waste of time.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    you have to die of something

Yes, this is irritating.
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I can't stand "muscle weighs more than fat" Drives me nuts. 1 pound = 1 pound regardless of what it is made of. Muscle is denser than fat so 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat!

This is what Thin people say to Fat people just to make them feel better for not losing weight when they have been working hard, lol. I get that all the time and I just let it go when they say it, I know I didn't push myself as hard as I did the week before when I lost.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    The only time I can think of to "suck it up and deal with the pain" is when I did a really hard workout and my muscles are sore. If I feel as though ANY of my joints are going to blow apart when doing an activity I typically err on the side of caution and stop.

When my muscles are sore from a hard workout .. I poke at them all day. I dunno. I like that pain.

You have to analyze your pain. Feel it, experience it .. I ask my boys (14 & 16 yrs aol, hockey and lacrosse players) "Are you hurt or are you injured?" If you're not injured, then suck it up and get out there for your next shift.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    "It's my genes" or "I have a thyroid issue". The later only bothers me when the person saying it can only name weight issues as a side effect of their "thyroid" problem. Oh, and people that don't understand how metabolism works.
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    "I have a bad knee and my doctor says I'll never be able to run."

This is probably true for a small percentage of the population, but I think it's an excuse that people use because they don't LIKE running. I think that with the proper shoes, running surface, and training program (i.e., not starting out too fast or too far), most people can work some running into their lives.

P.S. I loathe running...but I do it a couple of times a week for the health benefits. And I have a bad knee.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I will gain weight if I eat more than a bird! (700, 800, 1200 cals)
    I don't have time to workout, OR eat well
    I want to "tone" I don't want to get "bulky"!
    It's too hard
    I didn't realize I binged until it was over! (Maybe true, and I just don't understand the psychology, but it's creepy to hear)
    I have to give up EVERYTHING tasty to be healthy.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    You must lift heavy to look good naked, build muscle, improve strength and/or improve body composition.

Bodyweight won't achieve the result listed above.

More than 30 min of cardio is a waste of time.

Low weights and high reps are a waste of time.

Wait - my trainer told me less than 30 minutes of cardio was a waste of time, because you dont REALLY start burning anything until then. I guess we should only do exactly 30 minutes of cardio.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    "I don't have time. I have to work an 8 hour job, cook dinner, and be a mom to a 2-year old."

Sorry if I offer you cheese to go with that wine, but my coworker works a 12 hour job, has 4 boys, and is pregnant with her 5th and still MAKES time to stay fit and healthy. So your excuse is invalid! Get up and move your buns!
    Put the 2 year old in a stroller and run with him/her. Make daddy cook dinner for once.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    def " if I lift weights i'll get bulky"....soooo annoying!!! women you will not get bulky!! we don't have the genetic makeup or testosterone to get bulky!

& I don't have time
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you stop working out, muscle will turn to fat.

No, if you stop working out, your muscles will shrink and your fat will replace them.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Special snowflake syndrome
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I can't stand "muscle weighs more than fat" Drives me nuts. 1 pound = 1 pound regardless of what it is made of. Muscle is denser than fat so 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat!

Biggest pet peeve in excuses? "I'm scared" WTF is there to be scared of? Being fit, being thin, living longer?

Pretty much anyone who says this is referring to the density of 1Lb of fat vs 1 Lb of muscle and muscle displacing fat by volume...I don't know anybody who actually believes 1 Lb of muscle actually weighs more than 1 Lb of fat. Do you really think there are all kinds of people thinking that 1 Lb isn't a 1 Lb?

No I don't actually believe people thinks it's true. It's just an incorrect statement the way most people use it and I find it irritating. Kind of the same way I get irritated when someone wants to "axe" me a question.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Biggest pet peeve in excuses? "I'm scared" WTF is there to be scared of? Being fit, being thin, living longer?

But muscle does weigh more than fat. If you took the same volume of each, muscle would weigh more.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The whole big-boned/genetics thing really drives me crazy. The reason it bothers me so much is because I think most people who say it genuinely believe it and really don't think it is possible for them to be legitimately thin/in shape, which really hinders progress. Take a look at most of the contestants who have won or been really successful on the Biggest Loser. Most of them start out looking "big boned" or like they have a really stocky frame and they still end up looking thin and muscular.
  • seamanny
    seamanny Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Oh, and "I hate eating vegetables/I'm a super picky eater"

Really? I hate paying my bills, yet I still do it, because I am an adult, not a 5 year old

^^^^This!