FITNESS MYTHS and EXCUSES YOU CAN'T STAND!!!

Options

Replies

• eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options

- Muscle is not built in a calorie deficit. I'm sorry, it is not. You are not a special snowflake. There might be some really minor gains when in a defict, but chances are, it is just water. Sorry. When your muscles firm up, that isn't a sign of building muscle, its just water. The water in muscles is not fat and hence is considered lean mass, however it is not metabolically active.

This is actually the myth. You sure as hell can build muscle while EATING a calorie deficit. The nice thing is, my body goes to fat to make up the deficit.

Skinny people can't build muscle while in a deficit. Fat people can.

Exactly. I'm eating a deficit, and right now I'm losing 2-4 lbs a week and my muscle is getting ripped. I'm so much stronger today than I was 2 months ago. At work, where I lift people all day long (as a nurse) even the clients can tell how much stronger I've gotten. So yes, fat people, extremely obese people like me, can build muscle while losing weight. Don't be a hater!
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I can't stand a lot of excuses now that I'm on the right path, and they are all the ones I used to make. No time, no money, too hard, feel like I don't fit in, etc. The worst though is "I'll start on Monday." NO! Start today. There's no better time to start than right now. You might slip up here or there, but waiting til Monday just puts you that much more behind. START TODAY!

but I can't say that. I have to say, "oh good for you!" because then I look like a fitness snob if I say anything else.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    eating fat makes you fat
    if a girl lifts she will bulk up
    a calorie is just a calorie

What is a calories besides a unit used to measure energy?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The volume difference for muscle and fat is severaly overstated.

Both take up about as much space as water. Muscle a little less, fat a little more. All those pictures that are made showing a comparison are a ridiculous overexaggeration. 5 lb of muscle is slightly smaller than 5 lb of fat. 5 lb of water (5 pint glasses full of water) is a reasonably decent approximation for both.

Muscle weighs 1.06 g/mL
    Water weighs 1.00 g/mL
    Fat weighs 0.92 g/mL

The bigger difference is how they are depositied in the body. Muscle tends to be spread over a much larger area, whereas fat accumulates in big glops in relatively small areas.

15% is pretty significant. a 41.5" waist is 15% bigger than a 36" waist. Sure it looks small in g/ml, but it's still 15%

No. Volume =/= circumference.

Say for exple we have a 94 cubic inch sphere (muscle, 100*1/1.06) and a 108 cubic inch sphere (fat, 100*1/0.92).

The muscle sphere has a radius of 8.31 inches, the circumference of the sphere is 52.2"
    The fat sphere has a radius of 9.00 inches, the circumference of the sphere is 56.5"

A 15% difference in spherical volume is only a 8.3% difference circular circumference.

Not claiming volume = circumference. demonstrating the significance of 15%. only that.

I'm just using an example that would resonate with most people. 1.06 g/ml v .92 g/ml is pretty meaningless to most people (gosh it's only like .16g), but 15% is 15%, and the waist size example puts 15% into terms that would really click with a lot of people here.

But you picked an example where a 15% difference has a much more visual impact, than what is actually true.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    My favorite myth is: going to the gym still counts if you dont post it on facebook. that's just silly. of course it doesnt count.
  • sullus
    Options

Both take up about as much space as water. Muscle a little less, fat a little more. All those pictures that are made showing a comparison are a ridiculous overexaggeration. 5 lb of muscle is slightly smaller than 5 lb of fat. 5 lb of water (5 pint glasses full of water) is a reasonably decent approximation for both.

Muscle weighs 1.06 g/mL
    Water weighs 1.00 g/mL
    Fat weighs 0.92 g/mL

The bigger difference is how they are depositied in the body. Muscle tends to be spread over a much larger area, whereas fat accumulates in big glops in relatively small areas.

15% is pretty significant. a 41.5" waist is 15% bigger than a 36" waist. Sure it looks small in g/ml, but it's still 15%

Say for exple we have a 94 cubic inch sphere (muscle, 100*1/1.06) and a 108 cubic inch sphere (fat, 100*1/0.92).

The muscle sphere has a radius of 8.31 inches, the circumference of the sphere is 52.2"
    The fat sphere has a radius of 9.00 inches, the circumference of the sphere is 56.5"

A 15% difference in spherical volume is only a 8.3% difference circular circumference.

Not claiming volume = circumference. demonstrating the significance of 15%. only that.

I'm just using an example that would resonate with most people. 1.06 g/ml v .92 g/ml is pretty meaningless to most people (gosh it's only like .16g), but 15% is 15%, and the waist size example puts 15% into terms that would really click with a lot of people here.

But you picked an example where a 15% difference has a much more visual impact, than what is actually true.

yeah. I did. funny thing is I agonized a little over that because I thought this might happen. so I could have picked a better example. nice math.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    "I have no arms or legs"
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Muscle weighs 1.06 g/mL
    Water weighs 1.00 g/mL
    Fat weighs 0.92 g/mL

yeah. I did. funny thing is I agonized a little over that because I thought this might happen. so I could have picked a better example. nice math.

If the difference is 8.3% then it's a 36" waist instead of a 38" waist. I'd weep for joy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    One big myth I can't stand is this nonsense that people dieting should start strength training because it will build muscle and raise their metabolism,

While there are a lot of good reasons to always strength train, it is a form of fitness every bit as important as cardio fitness, that sentence combines two myths, making it nonsensical. Yet so many people believe this and say this.

- Muscle is not built in a calorie deficit. I'm sorry, it is not. You are not a special snowflake. There might be some really minor gains when in a defict, but chances are, it is just water. Sorry. When your muscles firm up, that isn't a sign of building muscle, its just water. The water in muscles is not fat and hence is considered lean mass, however it is not metabolically active.

- The raise of your metabolism is slight. Very slight. Unless they keep very detailed records, even guys gaining several pounds of muscle per bulking cycle will not see a noticable increase in their metabolism. Muscle increases your metabolism at about 5 cal/lb, meaning it would take 20 lbs of muscle gain just to increase your metabolism 100 cal/day (which is a lot of blatantly obvious gain, 20 lbs of steak is quite a pile of meat). If you keep your calorie intake exactly the same, that 100 cal/day shift will have you gaining 0.2 lb/wk slower, or losing 0.2 lb/wk faster, a virtually imperceptable change at the scale.

The idea that you should strength train while losing weight to build muscle and increase your metabolism is a load of hooey.

You strenght train while losing to preserve your existing muscle mass so that most of your weight loss is fat loss, not muscle loss. If you are losing a lot of muscle as you lose weight, you aren't changing your body composition, which is the real goal for people, not weight loss.

For me, the difference seems to be time. I am apparently burning the same amount of calories doing 10-15 minutes of strength training as I was when I was doing 30-40 minutes of cardio.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    people who think they are overtraining.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Some of my first posts on this forum were to argue that you can build muscle while in a deficit. I had data, measurements, pictures, everything to prove it, that I had built muslce while I lost weight.

Some guys ripped my to shreds for saying it.

Well then I finsihed losing weight, and started doing some bulking.

I now laugh at my former self. Having experienced obvious real muscle gain, what I had prior was a phantom, my muscles holding a little more water, the illusion of leanness (losing fat makes muscles appear larger), the BF% fomulas were not quite right. I did not gain actual muscle tissue when I was losing weight. One year ago I was firmly convinced I was.

It took experiencing what it was like, for real, to see the folly of my ways, and I'm now a true believer that muscle cannot be built in a calorie deficit.

If is very rare to find someone who says muscle can be built in a deficit that has actually built muscle in a surplus. You come realize those pitiful little scraps that might or might not be muscle are just that, pitiful little scraps, that may or may not be muscle. Not body parts gettng bigger in a balatantly obvious manner.
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options

This is actually the myth. You sure as hell can build muscle while EATING a calorie deficit. The nice thing is, my body goes to fat to make up the deficit.

Exactly. I'm eating a deficit, and right now I'm losing 2-4 lbs a week and my muscle is getting ripped. I'm so much stronger today than I was 2 months ago. At work, where I lift people all day long (as a nurse) even the clients can tell how much stronger I've gotten. So yes, fat people, extremely obese people like me, can build muscle while losing weight. Don't be a hater!

You are losing fat which is on top of the muscle... you are not actually building new muscle you are just seeing more of the muscle that was there. Seeing muscle and building strength do not equal more muscle mass. You are netting far too low to be actually building muscle... netting too low increases muscle LOSS.

You will not, outside of very small newbie gains, gain muscle while at a calorie deficit. Most will actually lose muscle while in a calorie deficit. It takes energy and calories to build muscle.

And the poster (Sullus) who said they gained 15lbs of muscle in like 16 months... where's the actual proof of that? Based on your eating for the past few months (according to your diary) there is no way you have built any muscle.. you actually have a better chance of losing it. You need a calorie surplus to build muscle... along with a lot more protein than you have been consuming lately and lifting heavy weights. Outside of newbie gains (which sure aren't just under 20lbs worth of muscle) you haven't built any. Sorry but no. Provided you are properly tracking your intake, you are not fueling your body enough to build muscle.. more so lose it.
  • tobd55
    tobd55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is the most judgemental posting zone I've seen here in a long time! Did this turn into MyFitnessTroll?

Perhaps it would be a little more helpful to those who are starting/struggling/not quite got their shxt together on the fitness bandwagon if people would share the myths and excuses THEY PERSONALLY relied on and HOW THEY OVERCAME THEM!

Complaining because someone else says they "don't have the time" only makes those of us who are currently struggling feel more on the outside --- like theres a river between us and I can't find the bridge.

I haven't always been obese. I spent the first 40 years of my struggling because I was Under-Weight. I wasn't a gym rat but I was athletic and heathy. I put on a few "happiness pounds" in my early forties and then surgical menopause trashed my body in 18 mos.

I am 60 pounds overweight despite eating at or slightly below my target calorie goal for months (I have not neither gained nor lost more than 5 pounds in the last 2 years). I am not a junk-food junkie --- most of my meals are homecooked from fresh ingredients. I choose to drink water at meals so that my calories are saved for nutrition. My major indulgence is a large diet soda with breakfast. I choose to eat healthy whether I'm at home or traveling for work. I'm not a big veggie eater but I try to hide veggies in my food as often as I can.

As for exercize......it's a two-edged sword......I would feel better if I exercized more AND I would exercize more if I could feel better.

I wake at 5:30am every morning to get ready for work --- 30 minute commute and at work at 7:00am. I put in a full day (unfortunately mostly at a desk), eating soup or healthy leftovers for lunch. I am out of the office between 4:00pm and 5:00pm and drive to the grocery store to plan dinner for my family. Dinner is usually on the table around 6:30pm and I sit with my family and we eat for about 45min. (I have teenagers.....they need the time). After dinner, I clear the table, clean up the cooking mess, and then it's off to bed.
    I am so exhausted by normal activity that I go to bed by 8:00pm. There is no "watching tv, playing on the internet, or talking on the phone." Weekends are a repeat of the above except when I'm not at a school function or volunteer activity, I'm trying to clean my house. Carrying all this extra weight has made the normal activities of life miserable and overwhelming.

I have tried going to the gym at 5:30am (when the gym opens) ---- I feel like crap the rest of the day and my boss complains.
    I have tried going to the gym at 5:30pm (right after work) --- we end up eating dinner out and my husband complains.
    I don't have a "lunch hour" in which I can go workout --- I eat at my desk and they don't care if I complain.

Fourteen months ago I did the gym 5 days a week (including two zumba classes); an unexplained change in health status took that away from me ---- I can barely do 30 minutes of light walking on the treadmill now. I've been to the doctors who just say, "you're fine, you just need to eat less and move more". I don't want a diet pill. I don't want surgery. I don't expect a quick fix. What I'm trying to find is a way to get things moving in the right direction so that I can lose enough weight that I can work out alittle and lose more weight so I can work out a little more ad infinitum. This isn't a joke or a vanity thing for me --- I spent Halloween week in the hospital with angina and shortness of breath. They can't find anything wrong with me except that I weigh 200 f'ing pounds.

So I take the old tact that "It's not just what you're eating, it's what's eating you" and log into the message boards to see what experience, strength, and hope I can find to help me move forward just a baby step today.

And what do I find --- hostility and judgementalism. This is supposed to be a community where we pull together and pull for each other. Would it kill one person out there to talk about how they overcame their own excuses and barriers? That's what is really going to help other people.
  • tobd55
    tobd55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is the most judgemental posting zone I've seen here in a long time! Did this turn into MyFitnessTroll?

Perhaps it would be a little more helpful to those who are starting/struggling/not quite got their shxt together on the fitness bandwagon if people would share the myths and excuses THEY PERSONALLY relied on and HOW THEY OVERCAME THEM!

Complaining because someone else says they "don't have the time" only makes those of us who are currently struggling feel more on the outside --- like theres a river between us and I can't find the bridge.

I haven't always been obese. I spent the first 40 years of my struggling because I was Under-Weight. I wasn't a gym rat but I was athletic and heathy. I put on a few "happiness pounds" in my early forties and then surgical menopause trashed my body in 18 mos.

I am 60 pounds overweight despite eating at or slightly below my target calorie goal for months (I have not neither gained nor lost more than 5 pounds in the last 2 years). I am not a junk-food junkie --- most of my meals are homecooked from fresh ingredients. I choose to drink water at meals so that my calories are saved for nutrition. My major indulgence is a large diet soda with breakfast. I choose to eat healthy whether I'm at home or traveling for work. I'm not a big veggie eater but I try to hide veggies in my food as often as I can.

As for exercize......it's a two-edged sword......I would feel better if I exercized more AND I would exercize more if I could feel better.

I wake at 5:30am every morning to get ready for work --- 30 minute commute and at work at 7:00am. I put in a full day (unfortunately mostly at a desk), eating soup or healthy leftovers for lunch. I am out of the office between 4:00pm and 5:00pm and drive to the grocery store to plan dinner for my family. Dinner is usually on the table around 6:30pm and I sit with my family and we eat for about 45min. (I have teenagers.....they need the time). After dinner, I clear the table, clean up the cooking mess, and then it's off to bed.
    I am so exhausted by normal activity that I go to bed by 8:00pm. There is no "watching tv, playing on the internet, or talking on the phone." Weekends are a repeat of the above except when I'm not at a school function or volunteer activity, I'm trying to clean my house. Carrying all this extra weight has made the normal activities of life miserable and overwhelming.

I have tried going to the gym at 5:30am (when the gym opens) ---- I feel like crap the rest of the day and my boss complains.
    I have tried going to the gym at 5:30pm (right after work) --- we end up eating dinner out and my husband complains.
    I don't have a "lunch hour" in which I can go workout --- I eat at my desk and they don't care if I complain.

Fourteen months ago I did the gym 5 days a week (including two zumba classes); an unexplained change in health status took that away from me ---- I can barely do 30 minutes of light walking on the treadmill now. I've been to the doctors who just say, "you're fine, you just need to eat less and move more". I don't want a diet pill. I don't want surgery. I don't expect a quick fix. What I'm trying to find is a way to get things moving in the right direction so that I can lose enough weight that I can work out alittle and lose more weight so I can work out a little more ad infinitum. This isn't a joke or a vanity thing for me --- I spent Halloween week in the hospital with angina and shortness of breath. They can't find anything wrong with me except that I weigh 200 f'ing pounds.

So I take the old tact that "It's not just what you're eating, it's what's eating you" and log into the message boards to see what experience, strength, and hope I can find to help me move forward just a baby step today.

And what do I find --- hostility and judgementalism. This is supposed to be a community where we pull together and pull for each other. Would it kill one person out there to talk about how they overcame their own excuses and barriers? That's what is really going to help other people.

Thank You
  • sullus
    Options

You are losing fat which is on top of the muscle... you are not actually building new muscle you are just seeing more of the muscle that was there. Seeing muscle and building strength do not equal more muscle mass. You are netting far too low to be actually building muscle... netting too low increases muscle LOSS.

You will not, outside of very small newbie gains, gain muscle while at a calorie deficit. Most will actually lose muscle while in a calorie deficit. It takes energy and calories to build muscle.

And the poster (Sullus) who said they gained 15lbs of muscle in like 16 months... where's the actual proof of that? Based on your eating for the past few months (according to your diary) there is no way you have built any muscle.. you actually have a better chance of losing it. You need a calorie surplus to build muscle... along with a lot more protein than you have been consuming lately and lifting heavy weights. Outside of newbie gains (which sure aren't just under 20lbs worth of muscle) you haven't built any. Sorry but no. Provided you are properly tracking your intake, you are not fueling your body enough to build muscle.. more so lose it.

I HAVE a calorie surplus. in my fat. You're not properly accounting for all caloric inputs into the process.

My "proof" is that when I started working with a trainer, through ultrasound and math, my lean body mass was calculated at 185lbs.

At my last assessment, it was calculated at 201lbs.
  • HelenaHanbasket
    Options
    I have torn cartilage in BOTH KNEES, and I have arthritis.
    Don't judge me, lol. I really do. I squat as far as I can without falling over from pain.
    1) LIFTING WEIGHTS WILL MAKE WOMEN BULKY.... NOO!!!!!:explode:

2) I actually heard this: "I can't squat because I have bad knees.... besides, it's not like i use that in my everyday life."

WHAAT?! No. You have bad knees BECAUSE you don't squat.

And if you don't think you use it in everyday life, i'd like to know how you get on and off the toilet. :huh:

What are some of the "myths" and excuses you can't stand to hear????
  • HelenaHanbasket
    Options
    AMEN TO THIS!

• thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options

I HAVE a calorie surplus. in my fat. You're not properly accounting for all caloric inputs into the process.

My "proof" is that when I started working with a trainer, through ultrasound and math, my lean body mass was calculated at 185lbs.

Your intake also needs to be much much higher along with your protein intake to build muscle. Simple as that. When you are eating at a calorie deficit your body will lose muscle mass. You can preserve it with a smaller deficit, protien and lifting heavy. Outside of newbie gains you will NOT build muscle while on a calorie deficit.

All calculations have errors. Lean body mass does not solely mean muscle. It includes everything within your body that is not fat. Just because there was an increase in lean body mass doesn't mean it was a muscle increase.
  • sullus
    Options

Your intake also needs to be much much higher along with your protein intake to build muscle. Simple as that. When you are eating at a calorie deficit your body will lose muscle mass. You can preserve it with a smaller deficit, protien and lifting heavy. Outside of newbie gains you will NOT build muscle while on a calorie deficit.

All calculations have errors. Lean body mass does not solely mean muscle. It includes everything within your body that is not fat. Just because there was an increase in lean body mass doesn't mean it was a muscle increase.

So, it is impossible to reduce body fat while building muscle. It is also impossible to keep muscle mass while reducing body fat. They have to be done at separate times. thanks for the tip.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

First, I will comment on that last line,in order to emphasize why women should not be afraid of strength training: weight bearing exercise increases BONE density.

It can also increase muscle density, so I think a lot of body builders are thinking of size and noticing that they don't seem to get bigger, forgetting that mass is a function of both density and volume.

It isn't even necessary to be fat and lazy to see muscle gains, according to many studies. The one I link below studied elite athletes.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3519021&d=1310193169