FITNESS MYTHS and EXCUSES YOU CAN'T STAND!!!

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

As I said before, I lost using a deficit and cardio and did not have muscle tone to show for it. This time, I am also on a deficit but using a combo of lifting and cardio. I have lost fewer pounds but more inches and have muscle I have NEVER had in my life. I don't believe everything I ee on TV but I do beleive the mirror. If it was just muscle being uncovered by fat, I would have seen it a couple of years ago when I actually lost more weight!

I am EXTREMELY skeptical...borderline calling BS.

BS about what? How woudl they fake they way she looked? Thinking steroid use? Just curious

That she gained 16lbs of muscle in 6mos. You really wonder why anyone would be skeptical?

I would love to know precisely how this was measured in order to discount all new glycogen stores and water.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

As I said before, I lost using a deficit and cardio and did not have muscle tone to show for it. This time, I am also on a deficit but using a combo of lifting and cardio. I have lost fewer pounds but more inches and have muscle I have NEVER had in my life. I don't believe everything I ee on TV but I do beleive the mirror. If it was just muscle being uncovered by fat, I would have seen it a couple of years ago when I actually lost more weight!

BS about what? How woudl they fake they way she looked? Thinking steroid use? Just curious

That she gained 16lbs of muscle in 6mos. You really wonder why anyone would be skeptical?

I would love to know precisely how this was measured in order to discount all new glycogen stores and water.

Go to medical school instead of practicing with your cracker jack degree. I think you just like to argue for the sake of arguing. It happened, the girl lost over 100 pounds and had amazing muscles and is fit and healthy. Just because YOU don't believe it means you need to keep calling BS and being rude to people. We all have the right to our opinions, and until you prove to me that I'm not gaining muscle as I'm losing weight, I'm not going to believe you. I do strength training and have no doubt that I am toning and building muscle even while losing weight each week.
  • asnnbrg
    asnnbrg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Apparently you know more than doctors know, because surely a doctor would LIE to someone, in front of camera or not. And I'm sorry, she was obese, so what makes you think she couldn't turn 16 pounds of her fat into 16 pounds of her muscle by working out for 6 hours a day with doctors and trainers?

Well muscle doesn't turn into fat so that's definitely not what happened. I have no idea how they measured it but something went wrong or someone is telling fibs. Have you ever tried to put on one pound of muscle as a female? It's verrrrryyyy hard

It's not that hard for all women, especially women with fat on their bodies.

You're right: It sure isn't hard for all women. Fat or not, I tend to build muscle very easily. I don't know why, but since I am also not one of those women terrified of "bulking up," I'm fine with it. (Now, if I can just get rid of my flabby overcoat ... )

At any rate, you can definitely build muscle in a deficit according to this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/ It just takes the right balance of strength training and proper diet for those who are obese or morbidly obese.

16 pounds does seem like an awful lot, though.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options

And the other excuse that really bothers me is "I just don't like water so I can't drink it."

^THIS! I don't understand how people can HATE water. No, it's not as exciting as juice or soda, but it doesn't taste BAD, unless you're drinking from a sewer or something. People also irritate me who only drink bottled water. It's so wasteful to keep buying bottles. If your tap is so unpleasant just get a filter! A filtered pitcher will save you money AND help the environment.
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options
    people who think they are overtraining.

Like someone else said, over-training isn't a myth, especially for people who are new to exercise. I injured myself from over-training with running, trying too much too soon, and it totally reverted my progress. My progress with other strength training exercises has been similarly halted from doing too much each day. So now I'm being less overzealous and lot more careful and I certainly don't think that's an "excuse".
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options
    I actually heard this: "I can't squat because I have bad knees.... besides, it's not like i use that in my everyday life."

Uhmm.. excuse me? I've actually dislocated my knee three times now, and have had HUNDREDS of almost dislocations inbetween. My knee cracks and makes noise everytime I so much as go up stairs, and I have to go down stairs in a limp-like mannor because I can't go down them normally. I've gone to therapy just to learn to walk again, and therapy again after that to regain the little bit of strength I currently have.

I feel you. My best friend has severe knee issues, she's actually missing her ACL in one knee and it often dislocates. Having bad knees is definitely not a myth or poor excuse. Some people have valid health issues that prevent them from doing certain exercises.
  • RGv2
    Options

Go to medical school instead of practicing with your cracker jack degree. I think you just like to argue for the sake of arguing. It happened, the girl lost over 100 pounds and had amazing muscles and is fit and healthy. Just because YOU don't believe it means you need to keep calling BS and being rude to people. We all have the right to our opinions, and until you prove to me that I'm not gaining muscle as I'm losing weight, I'm not going to believe you. I do strength training and have no doubt that I am toning and building muscle even while losing weight each week.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This made my day. The interwebz is some serious business.

A) What cracker jack degree do I claim to have, and how am I practicing? (I'm very proud of my Electrical Engineering Degree BTW).
    B) I haven't argued with anyone. I stated an opinion and made one whole reply.
    C) Keep calling it BS and being rude. I said BS once. Please quote where I was rude.
    D) If we all have the right to opinions, why may I not state mine (as I respectfully have) without being accosted.
    E) Good for you. I'm glad you're toning and building muscle while you lose. Please quote where I said you can't.

I'll hang up and listen.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    "I can't lose weight because I'm not eating enough calories...and going into starvation mode". I think most of the time this ISNT true.

THIS.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I guess I don't wonder about the skepticism. I am going by how she looks. There isn't an ounce of flab anywhere. Most of the contestants still have some flab somewhere. You might pinch an inch under her arms but not much!!

I think some people are predisposed to build muscle easier. My hubby's best friend used to say he was the only guy he knew who could get muscles by watching TV. My mother'in-law is the same way. She has always had muscular, toned arms and I doubt she has ever lifted anything heavier than a water bottle!

My predisposition is FAT! :grumble: Oh well!! At least there is hope for my kids!! :tongue:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

I guess I don't wonder about the skepticism. I am going by how she looks. There isn't an ounce of flab anywhere. Most of the contestants still have some flab somewhere. You might pinch an inch under her arms but not much!!

I think some people are predisposed to build muscle easier. My hubby's best friend used to say he was the only guy he knew who could get muscles by watching TV. My mother'in-law is the same way. She has always had muscular, toned arms and I doubt she has ever lifted anything heavier than a water bottle!

My predisposition is FAT! :grumble: Oh well!! At least there is hope for my kids!! :tongue:

Sorry, but I don't see 16 lbs of muscle gain. At all.

pos3jbnxoo.jpg

Go look up some pictures of skinny dudes that put on 15-20 lbs of muscle to get a good idea of how big that much muscle really is. For most women that is waaaaay into "too bulky" territory.
  • RGv2
    Options

I wasn't trying to be rude, outlandish, or otherwise. My point being: It doesn't have anything to do with "pinching an inch" or the mirror test per se. Building pure muscle mass that can be measured on a scale is really hard to do, especially in that short of time. What makes me skeptical that it's that much muscle mass is, beginners usually have a lot of water and new glycogen stores in these new muscles that make up part of the weight, and there is no real way to measure it and many attribute it to "muscle mass" due to looking ripped in the mirror.

My predisposition is short and stocky....so I hear ya.:sad:
  • LBNOakland
    Options
    . My hubby's best friend used to say he was the only guy he knew who could get muscles by watching TV. My mother'in-law is I wasn't trying to be rude, outlandish, or otherwise. My point being: It doesn't have anything to do with "pinching an inch" or the mirror test per se. Building pure muscle mass that can be measured on a scale is really hard to do, especially in that short of time. What makes me skeptical that it's that much muscle mass is, beginners usually have a lot of water and new glycogen stores in these new muscles that make up part of the weight, and there is no real way to measure it and many attribute it to "muscle mass" due to looking ripped in the mirror.

I didn't take offense! I have thick, well-padded skin!! LOL :laugh: Not 16 pounds or less of muscle yet but someday!!

I do see yours and Waldo's point now. I am sure muscle measure is not an exact science anyway. She looks great however much muscle she has!! :bigsmile:
  • RGv2
    Options
    . My hubby's best friend used to say he was the only guy he knew who could get muscles by watching TV. My mother'in-law is I wasn't trying to be rude, outlandish, or otherwise. My point being: It doesn't have anything to do with "pinching an inch" or the mirror test per se. Building pure muscle mass that can be measured on a scale is really hard to do, especially in that short of time. What makes me skeptical that it's that much muscle mass is, beginners usually have a lot of water and new glycogen stores in these new muscles that make up part of the weight, and there is no real way to measure it and many attribute it to "muscle mass" due to looking ripped in the mirror.

I didn't take offense! I have thick, well-padded skin!! LOL :laugh: Not 16 pounds or less of muscle yet but someday!!

I do see yours and Waldo's point now. I am sure muscle measure is not an exact science anyway. She looks great however much muscle she has!! :bigsmile:

Someone did, or thought I was someone else, and yes...yes she does.
  • LBNOakland
    Options
    "the older you get, the harder it is to loose weight"

Give it 20 years and see if you still think this is a myth.

Yeah! That isn't a myth. I wish it was. But hard work never killed anyone! RIGHT?! Please tell me that isn't a myth either!!! :noway:
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    "the older you get, the harder it is to loose weight"

Give it 20 years and see if you still think this is a myth.

Ok, fair enough. I retract that statement. I shouldn't have added it.

Now that I think about it, I can't help but consider my Mom. Of course it's harder for her than me :( She has bad ankles and arthritic knees.

I was talking about a specific person; this person uses that excuse but doesn't actually exercise (and eats at McDonalds or Wendy's 5 days a week).

I can totally understand "the older you get", it would be harder to exercise or loose weight (for many different reasons). I was just annoyed because he's been using that excuse since he was 45 yet he doesn't exercise and eats terrible food.
  • hiphopdisco
    hiphopdisco Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So many lame ones that are forever in the public conscience.....eggs are bad for you. Cardio will eat your muscles. Walking has no aerobic value. Fat makes you fat....all kinds of misinformation that seemed like sound advice at the time
  • nenacakesxo
    nenacakesxo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    doing situps will make my gut go away! i wish
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My mom told me today she can't lose weight because she "likes food to much."
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    Wow, this is the most judgemental posting zone I've seen here in a long time! Did this turn into MyFitnessTroll?

Perhaps it would be a little more helpful to those who are starting/struggling/not quite got their shxt together on the fitness bandwagon if people would share the myths and excuses THEY PERSONALLY relied on and HOW THEY OVERCAME THEM!

Complaining because someone else says they "don't have the time" only makes those of us who are currently struggling feel more on the outside --- like theres a river between us and I can't find the bridge.

Etc Etc

You sound like me about the time thing, except I have 2x2 yr olds who need their mommy too. I feel for you. My gym also opens at 5:30...work at 7 etcetc and then I feel like crap for the rest of the day...

When someone tells you you should just "get up earlier" you can pull out the research on the long-term effects of sleep deprivation on metabolism and weight:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=sleep-deprivation-obesity

If I had a lifestyle like yours I'd be prioritizing getting decent sleep and then trying to fit moderate activity in around daily tasks, rather than trying to get formal gym time in. If you're dropping below 7 hours of sleep in order to get to the gym, you're undoing a lot of what you might accomplish at the gym. Also, chronic sleep deprivation actually makes your workouts less effective in a whole bunch of ways.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/conditioning/a/aa062800a.htm

She gets 9 1/2 hrs of sleep as it is. Knocking that down to 7-8 hrs of sleep isn't sleep deprivation.
    When you're 48 years old and wake up no less than 6 times a night thanks to menopause --- you bet your butt getting up a couple of hours earlier drops below the sleep deprivation line. I go to bed early because I have to, not because I want to.

Isn't it odd that anytime someone posts something supportive and encouraging (with actual suggestions that might help) -- somebody else has to come along and be judgemental and mean. What the heck is wrong with you people????
    Are some of you trading in your physical health for your mental health?