• Tendlr
    Tendlr Posts: 17
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    bentleymama -

email me if you want with your info and I can run your #'s and see how they can compare to the 2500...........

Kristen
  • shca
    shca Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for the information, I was really confused before but I get it so much better now! I do have a question though; I have apparently been eating under my BMR my whole adult life, and whilst I'm mostly happy with my shape, I would like to lose a further 4-5lb, I am slim but have a much smaller frame than most people so whilst on paper I'm on the low side of a "normal" weight for my height, I have lumpy bits that I don't want but can't seem to shift! so, my question is, is someone in my situation really going to lose that last bit of weight by eating 300 calories more per day or it it more for people whose weight is above what is considered normal? Apologies if I've not worded this very well!
  • Mommypeanut
    Mommypeanut Posts: 34
    Options
    bump...thanks so much for this info...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information, I was really confused before but I get it so much better now! I do have a question though; I have apparently been eating under my BMR my whole adult life, and whilst I'm mostly happy with my shape, I would like to lose a further 4-5lb, I am slim but have a much smaller frame than most people so whilst on paper I'm on the low side of a "normal" weight for my height, I have lumpy bits that I don't want but can't seem to shift! so, my question is, is someone in my situation really going to lose that last bit of weight by eating 300 calories more per day or it it more for people whose weight is above what is considered normal? Apologies if I've not worded this very well!

So you don't need to lose weight, you need to lose fat.
    Which means you need to gain muscle mass, and LBM in general.

You can live with suppressed metabolism, it's a life choice by many, and forced on even many more around the world.
    But it's a bummer to lose weight that way, or make body improvements.

Your body isn't going to want to make muscle which is metabolically active and requires more calories, when it knows it's not even getting enough in for the basics of life without slowing other things down.

You need to lift weight, good strengthening program, and eat at maintenance level. Accepting fact you've been living on low glucose stores and you WILL gain water weight fast.
  • Mommypeanut
    Mommypeanut Posts: 34
    Options
    bentleymama -

email me if you want with your info and I can run your #'s and see how they can compare to the 2500...........

Kristen

Can I email you my numbers as well? I would really appreciate it!
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this! I did this all last night and my numbers were very close to yours, so it was really helpful to see all the math done for me. Thanks so much, you explained this so well. i hope it works!
  • shca
    shca Posts: 2
    Options

So you don't need to lose weight, you need to lose fat.
    Which means you need to gain muscle mass, and LBM in general.

You can live with suppressed metabolism, it's a life choice by many, and forced on even many more around the world.
    But it's a bummer to lose weight that way, or make body improvements.

Your body isn't going to want to make muscle which is metabolically active and requires more calories, when it knows it's not even getting enough in for the basics of life without slowing other things down.

You need to lift weight, good strengthening program, and eat at maintenance level. Accepting fact you've been living on low glucose stores and you WILL gain water weight fast.

Thank you for your reply, my TDEE is showing as over 500 calories a day more than I'm eating at the moment, is that not going to make me bulk up loads?? I'm sorry if I'm being ignorant.
  • deeds2785
    deeds2785 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Awesome, this helps so much thanks!
  • heybales
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, my TDEE is showing as over 500 calories a day more than I'm eating at the moment, is that not going to make me bulk up loads?? I'm sorry if I'm being ignorant.

So if your current eating level has shown NO movement in weight OR many measurements for 3-4 weeks, then you are eating at TDEE right now.

Not potential TDEE, suppressed TDEE.

So indeed as you eat more, it will be surplus. What better thing for your body to do with excess calories than apply it to making more muscle, or at least getting stronger, until your metabolism rises. And actually, with more LBM (even if no extra muscle), metabolism will be even higher.

So lift during the increase and enjoy the performance gains, plus water weight. You won't get it later when you take a deficit.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the explanation!

This confuses me so much. I have been maintaining for almost a year on 1550 as a base, usually work out 400 cal worth a day making 1950 "allowable" according to MFP's numbers but end up with about 300 left (meaning I eat around 1650 ish.) I maintain on this (have for 11 months.)

When I figure these numbers, I count "light" and I get 1880 and I don't want to lose or gain but would like to be more "tone" (more muscle) then I should minus 10%? So my TDEE would be 1692?

I do Ripped in 30 or 6 week 6 pack at least 5x a week + walk 45 min a day but other than that I am pretty lazy beside basic "mom" stuff (cooking, etc.) So that is already included in my TDEE, right? So still 1692? I have been eating around 1600-1700 a day so that is about right? I hate math. ;) 5'7, 33 years old, 131 pounds. Have no measuring tape but my scale said my BF was 21.8% (??.)
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks =)
  • heybales
    Options
    Thank you for the explanation!

This confuses me so much. I have been maintaining for almost a year on 1550 as a base, usually work out 400 cal worth a day making 1950 "allowable" according to MFP's numbers but end up with about 300 left (meaning I eat around 1650 ish.) I maintain on this (have for 11 months.)

When I figure these numbers, I count "light" and I get 1880 and I don't want to lose or gain but would like to be more "tone" (more muscle) then I should minus 10%? So my TDEE would be 1692?

I do Ripped in 30 or 6 week 6 pack at least 5x a week + walk 45 min a day but other than that I am pretty lazy beside basic "mom" stuff (cooking, etc.) So that is already included in my TDEE, right? So still 1692? I have been eating around 1600-1700 a day so that is about right? I hate math. ;) 5'7, 33 years old, 131 pounds. Have no measuring tape but my scale said my BF was 21.8% (??.)

No, you should eat at true maintenance and lift weights, that's the only way you'll get more muscle. No deficit.

I'll also bet your current maintenance level is suppressed compared to what it could be. Sounds like it could easily be higher.
    And how do you get Lightly Active from 5 x a week workout, and walking 45 min daily? Be honest if you want to see improvement.

If eating at maintenance hoping to benefit from strength training, your body must have the energy to do something with it. If it's still underfed, it's not going to build muscle that takes more calories, when it's already low.
  • fcevallos
    fcevallos Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • midlifecrisis40
    Options
    bump
  • ANuSeason
    ANuSeason Posts: 16
    Options
    Bump to read later :)
  • Bearbrat