BMR and TDEE Explained for Those Needing a Guide

Options

Replies

• jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going to run all these numbers.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reference
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    BUMP...great thread!
  • Sandia_Sweetie
    Sandia_Sweetie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nishelby
    nishelby Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just upped my calories from 1200 to 1388, I've been researching TDEE-20% guides for a awhile but was too chicken to try it. Just hope that I see some results :)

I am reading this today and wanted to up my calories to my TDEE-20%. did you notice any weight difference?
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this.. this helped a lot.
  • preshusgem
    preshusgem Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump
  • calaz84
    calaz84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!! Excited to try it out I just changed my calories over to TDEE today. Do you guys still log your fitness in MFP even though your doing TDEE?
  • anice15
    anice15 Posts: 4
    Options
    Great post! Thank you!!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Thanks you made it much easier to understand
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    bump for later reference
  • tmw628
    tmw628 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you for explaining this! I am in week three, and was worried that I was not losing fast enough, not eating enough is a totally new concept for me and it is tough for me to eat what I need to live every day. I was raised in the era of starve to lose and I am re-learning as my body is re-setting. Am going to add measurements to see where I am instead of relying solely on a scale. Looking forward to using and learning this methodology. :smile:
  • fakeuntilumakeit
    Options
    Amazing thread thanks so much for some real useful info. ....now i'm gonna go eat.:wink:
  • Evotchka
    Evotchka Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! Bumpy bump
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • laurar428
    laurar428 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great job laying this out! It was really helpful and I just readjusted my daily calorie goal. I never could only eat 1200 calories a day! Everyone know who does is grumpy and has no energy! Who wants that?:)
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the explanation!

This confuses me so much. I have been maintaining for almost a year on 1550 as a base, usually work out 400 cal worth a day making 1950 "allowable" according to MFP's numbers but end up with about 300 left (meaning I eat around 1650 ish.) I maintain on this (have for 11 months.)

When I figure these numbers, I count "light" and I get 1880 and I don't want to lose or gain but would like to be more "tone" (more muscle) then I should minus 10%? So my TDEE would be 1692?

I do Ripped in 30 or 6 week 6 pack at least 5x a week + walk 45 min a day but other than that I am pretty lazy beside basic "mom" stuff (cooking, etc.) So that is already included in my TDEE, right? So still 1692? I have been eating around 1600-1700 a day so that is about right? I hate math. ;) 5'7, 33 years old, 131 pounds. Have no measuring tape but my scale said my BF was 21.8% (??.)

No, you should eat at true maintenance and lift weights, that's the only way you'll get more muscle. No deficit.

I'll also bet your current maintenance level is suppressed compared to what it could be. Sounds like it could easily be higher.
    And how do you get Lightly Active from 5 x a week workout, and walking 45 min daily? Be honest if you want to see improvement.

If eating at maintenance hoping to benefit from strength training, your body must have the energy to do something with it. If it's still underfed, it's not going to build muscle that takes more calories, when it's already low.

I just remembered that I posted here, thanks for the info! I was considering "lightly active" since only 1-1.5 hours a day I'm active and the rest I am lazy. LOL