Not understanding why i'm not losing weight.

Options
123457»

Replies

• Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Noo !! All wrong. You can lose weight easily your just eating the wrong calories !! Lasagna and pastas aren't going to help

Types of food you should be putting in your diet
    - chicken
    -tuna
    -vegetables !!
    -fruit
    - plain yoghurt and maybe a bit of milk
    -oats for the morning !!

Stuff like that. Everything like ham and bacon are not good foods to put in a diet and u will be putting on weight rather than losing
    Wrong.

200 cals of bacon, ham,eggs, ice cream, pop tarts are still 200 calories to the body.

Here is some research for you, so I'm not just a rude *kitten* correcting people on the internet with anecdotal evidence:

1) " ‘All calories are not created equal’ according to new research that suggests certain diets help to burn more energy than others."
    http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Are-all-calories-equal-for-weight-loss-Not-so-say-researchers

2) "Let's take a pure food example," says Anne-Marie Nocton, MS, MPH, RD. 'If someone were to eat all of her daily caloric requirement as fried onion rings, would the body respond the same way as if all of the calories came from raw spinach? No, because caloric absorption is affected by the composition of the food itself and by the amount of energy it takes the body to process that food. In this example, the body doesn't need to expend many calories to digest and store fat (in the onion rings) because the digestion and storage process isn't very complex. But the spinach contains fiber, and the structure of a fibrous food means that some of the calories will be 'lost' because the body cannot break it all down.' "
    http://www.naturalchampion.net/articles/article/2410291/51175.htm

3) " 'It's not that calories don't matter, but the quality of the calories going in can affect the number of calories going out,' said study author Dr. David Ludwig, at Boston Children's Hospital."
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/calorie-calorie-harvard-study-compares-popular-weight-loss/story?id=16654506#.UUxb4hk2LDM

4) This article makes 5 points: The energy cost to metabolize fat, carbs and protein is different, Calorie restriction slows metabolism, Protein reduces appetite, Fiber reduces calorie absorption, and Timing of eating affects calorie processing.
    http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/a-calorie-is-not-a-calorie.aspx

5) Another study (Pomana College): "Ingestion of the particular PF [processed foods] meal tested in this study decreases postprandial energy expenditure by nearly 50% compared with the isoenergetic WF [whole-food] meal. This reduction in daily energy expenditure has potential implications for diets comprised heavily of PFs and their associations with obesity.... more extensively processed foods have a greater thermodynamic efficiency (and thus a greater metabolic disadvantage) than less processed or whole foods. The present study tests this by comparing the DIT responses of two isoenergetic meals."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2897733/

6) If you eat all your calories in high-cal junk food, you won't be able to eat throughout the day when your body needs energy, causing problems with blood sugar, producing more body fat and using lean muscle for energy:
    "http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/can-i-eat-all-my-calories-for-the-day-in-one-meal-and-still-lose-weight-649.html"

(Also, I get that it's easy to make fun of or dismiss someone eating like an anorexic, but you don't have to be so condescending and rude, especially when you may be the one who's "Wrong.")

I'm posting this again because the other guy (the one throwing around terms like "chick-science" and a few other people saying "all calories are the same" obviously didn't see it. I'm not saying she was right about what she said you should and shouldn't eat, but there is merit to the argument that all calories aren't created equal, and it IS better to eat some foods instead of others.
  • Icanhazsugarnow
    Options
    Okay. Here's the thing. You're eating too few calories. If you want to cut back a lot and I mean a lot, the least amount you can eat without going into starvation mode is 1,200. If you go into starvation mode your body will want to hang onto that fat! That is definitely not something that you want. Also, I've found that if you cut down to 1,200 you can eat anything you want basically. The key point here isn't cutting out foods! It's portion control! You don't have to cut out foods that you might enjoy. At least I haven't found that I need to. My method of weight loss is rather simple and it works for me. I consume 1,200 calories a day and then burn 909 calories in Zumba Fitness 2. By this method I lose up to four pounds a week. If you can figure out which songs burn 1,200 a day, you can burn up to five! Good luck with your weight loss!
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've wondered if that was the problem.. I just find it hard to eat that many calories daily.. :/

It's hard because you use low calorie foods, stop using them. Eat a pint of ben and jerry every day, you will have no problem hitting your goal.

Ice cream isn't going to get you the calories AND have you feeling good...SMH. Try finding a protein bar that you like, peanut butter with apple slices, cashews for a snack, healthy AND nutritious foods to add the calories.
    I've been eating a pint of Ben and Jerry nearly every day for the past week or two (and fitting my calorie limit--check my diary) and I've felt perfectly fine. Why did I do it? Because I've been spending most of the day out, because I didn't have time to cook, and because I suddenly started to like ice cream a lot for some reason.
  • Eyesee
    Options
    Noo !! All wrong. You can lose weight easily your just eating the wrong calories !! Lasagna and pastas aren't going to help

Types of food you should be putting in your diet
    - chicken
    -tuna
    -vegetables !!
    -fruit
    - plain yoghurt and maybe a bit of milk
    -oats for the morning !!

Stuff like that. Everything like ham and bacon are not good foods to put in a diet and u will be putting on weight rather than losing
    Wrong.

200 cals of bacon, ham,eggs, ice cream, pop tarts are still 200 calories to the body.

Here is some research for you, so I'm not just a rude *kitten* correcting people on the internet with anecdotal evidence:

1) " ‘All calories are not created equal’ according to new research that suggests certain diets help to burn more energy than others."
    http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Are-all-calories-equal-for-weight-loss-Not-so-say-researchers

2) "Let's take a pure food example," says Anne-Marie Nocton, MS, MPH, RD. 'If someone were to eat all of her daily caloric requirement as fried onion rings, would the body respond the same way as if all of the calories came from raw spinach? No, because caloric absorption is affected by the composition of the food itself and by the amount of energy it takes the body to process that food. In this example, the body doesn't need to expend many calories to digest and store fat (in the onion rings) because the digestion and storage process isn't very complex. But the spinach contains fiber, and the structure of a fibrous food means that some of the calories will be 'lost' because the body cannot break it all down.' "
    http://www.naturalchampion.net/articles/article/2410291/51175.htm

3) " 'It's not that calories don't matter, but the quality of the calories going in can affect the number of calories going out,' said study author Dr. David Ludwig, at Boston Children's Hospital."
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/calorie-calorie-harvard-study-compares-popular-weight-loss/story?id=16654506#.UUxb4hk2LDM

4) This article makes 5 points: The energy cost to metabolize fat, carbs and protein is different, Calorie restriction slows metabolism, Protein reduces appetite, Fiber reduces calorie absorption, and Timing of eating affects calorie processing.
    http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/a-calorie-is-not-a-calorie.aspx

5) Another study (Pomana College): "Ingestion of the particular PF [processed foods] meal tested in this study decreases postprandial energy expenditure by nearly 50% compared with the isoenergetic WF [whole-food] meal. This reduction in daily energy expenditure has potential implications for diets comprised heavily of PFs and their associations with obesity.... more extensively processed foods have a greater thermodynamic efficiency (and thus a greater metabolic disadvantage) than less processed or whole foods. The present study tests this by comparing the DIT responses of two isoenergetic meals."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2897733/

6) If you eat all your calories in high-cal junk food, you won't be able to eat throughout the day when your body needs energy, causing problems with blood sugar, producing more body fat and using lean muscle for energy:
    "http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/can-i-eat-all-my-calories-for-the-day-in-one-meal-and-still-lose-weight-649.html"

(Also, I get that it's easy to make fun of or dismiss someone eating like an anorexic, but you don't have to be so condescending and rude, especially when you may be the one who's "Wrong.")

I'm posting this again because the other guy (the one throwing around terms like "chick-science" and a few other people saying "all calories are the same" obviously didn't see it. I'm not saying she was right about what she said you should and shouldn't eat, but there is merit to the argument that all calories aren't created equal, and it IS better to eat some foods instead of others.

I just saw this... 4 is not true (speaking about metabolism) also look at who funded it way at the bottom. I wouldn't even call this a study.

Do you know what a calorie is? It's a unit of energy. Heat is energy as well. If i said to you "82 degrees isn't the same as 82 degrees" what would you say to me?

A calorie is a calorie...

I have eaten a ton of junk food and lost 185lbs. I wish someone wold have told me how true number 6 is...

* I posted 4 because it makes a lot of the same points as the other scientifically accredited studies but uses easier to understand language. (And also, I threw the list together quickly on the way to work, but you can read a lot more articles it you want to Google it.)

* Right, a calorie is a unit of energy, and our bodies also need to expend energy to process that unit of energy. Did you just selectively read the articles to find fault with them? You didn't even need to read #2 to see this, because I wrote it out,
    "'If someone were to eat all of her daily caloric requirement as fried onion rings, would the body respond the same way as if all of the calories came from raw spinach? No, because caloric absorption is affected by the composition of the food itself and by the amount of energy it takes the body to process that food. In this example, the body doesn't need to expend many calories to digest and store fat (in the onion rings) because the digestion and storage process isn't very complex. But the spinach contains fiber, and the structure of a fibrous food means that some of the calories will be 'lost' because the body cannot break it all down.' "

* Number 5 says the same thing, just using bigger words, and that came from the National Institute of Health, and is actually the findings of a study.

* Lastly, I never said it was IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight eating junk food, as you are obviously a testament to that, but you can't honestly tell me you ate junk food every day or got all (or even most) of your calories from bacon, ice cream and pop tarts during your journey. Also, you probably would have lost it faster or more efficiently NOT eating junk food. (Though I'm not criticizing your accomplishment, it's really impressive, I'm sure anyone would tell you that.) I understand wanting to justify eating crappy delicious stuff-- I know I definitely do it-- but if you are trying to advise someone on the best way to lose weight, I don't think telling them "eat whatever you want" without any scientific evidence is the way to go.
  • alyssagilbert09
    alyssagilbert09 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So I'm on the right track. Everyone's information has been so helpful. I'm slowly eating more calories. Who knew I was pretty much starving myself. Lol
    I will keep everyone posted on weight lose in the coming weeks.
    Peace & Love
    Alyssa
  • Eyesee
    Options
    The "Twinkie diet" guy ate cans of veggies and a protein shake every day and stopped eating meat. (Vegetarians almost always have better cholesterol levels-- my BP and cholesterol is excellent even though I'm fat- I'd give you a bunch of links, but like last time, you probably wouldn't read them.) Not sure if you read the Twinkie diet, lol.

Anyway, I see that you just really like arguing with people, and if weight-loss through anger and spike works for you, then more power to you, but I don't want to play anymore. There's clearly research on both sides that differs, but you're only willing to see what you want to be true. (I already said that you CAN eat junk food, it's just not a healthy/practical way to live if that's all you're eating.) Good luck being a happy person once you're thin.
  • Eyesee
    Options
    P.S. I scarf down spinach, and you could too. :happy:
  • Clinton8117
    Clinton8117 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot, that sounds like really good advice, Im going to keep on track and see where I am a month from now.