Health eating when i dont like Veg!

Options

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    As they say, "When your DESIRE becomes greater than the OBSTACLES, then, and only then, does change occur."
    Well said!
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't think anybody is actually born liking veggies! Your parents were supposed to teach you to be able to tolerate them and I guess they failed. Now stop being such a little wuss, suck it up, and eat them.

After eating them for awhile, you'll eventually start being able to tolerate them, and then after that you'll start realizing they aren't that bad, and eventually they'll start tasting pretty good. No, veggies will never taste as good as ice-cream, potatoe chips, french fries, pizza, etc.

I've always loved veggies! I think most of us are, if we're introduced to them properly. Buy bad produce or prepare it badly or treat it like a chore and of course you're not going to like them- but I grew up with fresh food, well prepared, and it's delicious!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't think anybody is actually born liking veggies! Your parents were supposed to teach you to be able to tolerate them and I guess they failed. Now stop being such a little wuss, suck it up, and eat them.

After eating them for awhile, you'll eventually start being able to tolerate them, and then after that you'll start realizing they aren't that bad, and eventually they'll start tasting pretty good. No, veggies will never taste as good as ice-cream, potatoe chips, french fries, pizza, etc.

I've always loved veggies! I think most of us are, if we're introduced to them properly. Buy bad produce or prepare it badly or treat it like a chore and of course you're not going to like them- but I grew up with fresh food, well prepared, and it's delicious!

Truth. I just cannot eat overdone cabbage but when it is slightly crisp and spiced up nicely I can eat up a whole head!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I hated veggies too to the point where I would gag eating celery and need to plug my nose and same with baby carrots, green peppers, etc. I kept eating them... it got better! I trained myself to accept them wether it was physical or psychological doesn't matter. Now I eat them. Try in small amounts and stay consistent. I don't love them, but they are enjoyable.

Exactly, it's not that hard to learn to like any food! Unfortunately some people continue to be whiny brats about how they "don't like veggies" even after they've grown up. If you're not a child anymore and are concerned about your long term health then just suck it up and eat them. Eventually you'll start to like them.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Try smoothies. Add Spinach or Kale, avocado and some frozen fruit. You can hardly taste the vegetables if you mix this right. Look up some recipes.
  • stella1314
    stella1314 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i dont like veggies eather, i am planning to buy NUTRI BULLET, people told me it can crush all hard veggies and i will mix them with apples or some other fruit for taste
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    All of you not liking veggies, does this really mean ALL? Fresh corn on the cob? Tomato sauce ( as in pasta or pizza sauce), salsa and quacamole? Pickles? I just find that hard to believe.

Onion rings are not healthy, but that is a vegetable too. Really, ALL veggies??
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    All of you not liking veggies, does this really mean ALL? Fresh corn on the cob? Tomato sauce ( as in pasta or pizza sauce), salsa and quacamole? Pickles? I just find that hard to believe.

pizza sauce is not a vegetable. you sound like the school lunch program. and corn is technically a grain. guacamole is avocado which is a fruit.

but i get your point. :tongue:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    In my whole time of losing weight/maintaining, I can't ever remember eating veggies... and I'm being serious.

The only ones I really like are potatoes, corn, carrots, lettuce and onions, and those I only eat every few weeks or so.

So no, you don't have to eat veggies to be healthy.. there are other ways to get nutrients/vitamins, that don't involve veggies.

please explain how that is.

where do you get vitamin K from?

Multi Vitamins, fruit... I ate a lot of fruit while losing and even maintaining, I tend to eat a ton.

I may have exaggerated with the every few weeks or so, it's more like once a week.. but still, it's not everyday like some people.

And as far as I can tell, I'm totally healthy... so until that changes, I don't see a need to change what I'm doing.

and how can you "tell"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_K

also, scroll down to where it says "Food Sources" and list for me the fruits you see there.

OoO Wikipedia... Aren't you scientific?

Try this site. http://www.livestrong.com/article/362643-fruits-that-contain-vitamin-k/

And there are more if you google "fruits that contain vitamin k"

Before this becomes more of a pissing contest...

"Excellent sources of vitamin K include parsley, kale, spinach, Brussels sprouts, Swiss chard, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, thyme, romaine lettuce, sage, oregano, cabbage, celery, sea vegetables, cucumber, leeks, cauliflower, tomatoes, and blueberries."

So, there is ONE fruit that's an excellent source of Vitamin K.

Info taken from here: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?

Very good fruit sources: Raspberries, Grapes, Prunes
    Good fruit sources: Pear, Papaya, Cantelope, Plum, Strawberries, Cranberries

Overall: 10 Fruits, 26 Vegetables (plus a lot of spices)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    In my whole time of losing weight/maintaining, I can't ever remember eating veggies... and I'm being serious.

The only ones I really like are potatoes, corn, carrots, lettuce and onions, and those I only eat every few weeks or so.

So no, you don't have to eat veggies to be healthy.. there are other ways to get nutrients/vitamins, that don't involve veggies.

Multi Vitamins, fruit... I ate a lot of fruit while losing and even maintaining, I tend to eat a ton.

I may have exaggerated with the every few weeks or so, it's more like once a week.. but still, it's not everyday like some people.

And as far as I can tell, I'm totally healthy... so until that changes, I don't see a need to change what I'm doing.

and how can you "tell"?

also, scroll down to where it says "Food Sources" and list for me the fruits you see there.

Try this site. http://www.livestrong.com/article/362643-fruits-that-contain-vitamin-k/

"Excellent sources of vitamin K include parsley, kale, spinach, Brussels sprouts, Swiss chard, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, thyme, romaine lettuce, sage, oregano, cabbage, celery, sea vegetables, cucumber, leeks, cauliflower, tomatoes, and blueberries."

keep reading. the comparisons got made.

you'd need 4 cups of blueberries to equal the amount of K in 1/2 cup of kale
  • newdaydawning79
    Options

and how can you "tell"?

I was totally agreeing with your point, that it's much better nutrition to eat veggies. :) Less calorically dense, less sugars and you get a lot more out of them!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

and how can you "tell"?

I was totally agreeing with your point, that it's much better nutrition to eat veggies. :) Less calorically dense, less sugars and you get a lot more out of them!

haha gotcha. sorry 'bout that!. :smile:
  • diinva
    diinva Posts: 57
    Options
    Try roasting your veggies in the oven or on the grill. A little olive oil and whatever spices you like. So much better than steaming or boiling!
  • newdaydawning79
    Options

haha gotcha. sorry 'bout that!. :smile:

No worries! I never considered myself a big fan of most veggies (I'd eat salads of course, but other than that it was mainly green beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) but I'm starting to add a lot more to my repertoire. Zucchini, squashes, I'm even trying asparagus today (mixed in something, lest I sound TOO adventurous here! LOL). I'm seeing a lot of good changes in me and I haven't gotten truly sick all winter, even with having sinus infections, bronchitis, pneumonia AND the flu running rampant in our department!
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    Soup!!! I didn't like veggies either but LOVE soup! I blend it all so I can't see the veg lol!! Or you can also hide it in sauces etc.
  • fitnessdiva07
    Options
    When I was growing up we didn't have any veggies at all,so I tough I didn't like them. When I reached adulthood I wanted to be healthier so I tried eating them. It was hard at first, until my tastebuds changed. Now I try getting a veggie serving with all of my meals. I've discovered that once I ate them my concentration, energy levels and digestion all improved greatly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

pizza sauce is not a vegetable. you sound like the school lunch program. and corn is technically a grain. guacamole is avocado which is a fruit.

If pizza sauce is made from tomatoes, basil and other herbs, what exactly is it, if not vegetable??
  • CoachReddy
    Options

If pizza sauce is made from tomatoes, basil and other herbs, what exactly is it, if not vegetable??
    vegetables don't have ingredients?

Also tomato is a fruit.

Also also, most commercial pizza sauce contains more than the ingredients you just listed.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Also tomato is a fruit.

Also also, most commercial pizza sauce contains more than the ingredients you just listed.

So, when I make a leafy greens casserole with lots of baby spinach and arugula and leeks and diced red pepper and garlic -- when I add "ingredients" like olive oil, parmesan, black pepper and a sprinkle of toasted breadcrumbs, I am no longer eating vegetables?

I had NO IDEA. I will immediately turn to eating only raw leaves plucked directly from the shrubs outside my house.

also? My grocery store's pasta sauce (which I use for homemade pizza, contains:
    Tomato Puree, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Parmesan Cheese, Salt, Dried Garlic, Dried Onion, Spices, Citric Acid.

Which is pretty much what *I* put in tomato sauce when I'm making it from scratch and canning.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Also tomato is a fruit.

So, when I make a leafy greens casserole with lots of baby spinach and arugula and leeks and diced red pepper and garlic -- when I add "ingredients" like olive oil, parmesan, black pepper and a sprinkle of toasted breadcrumbs, I am no longer eating vegetables?

I had NO IDEA. I will immediately turn to eating only raw leaves plucked directly from the shrubs outside my house.

also? My grocery store's pasta sauce (which I use for homemade pizza, contains:
    Tomato Puree, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Parmesan Cheese, Salt, Dried Garlic, Dried Onion, Spices, Citric Acid.

Which is pretty much what *I* put in tomato sauce when I'm making it from scratch and canning.

this is silly. and not at all what i meant. and you know it.

no your casserole is not a vegetable, it's a casserole. it does have vegetables in it however. :wink: