Just an opinion: Clean-eating vs IIFYM

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
First off, I practice IIFYM. That doesn't mean that I don't ever eat clean foods. I try to moderately balance my diet between foods that are good for me with foods that I love (most of the food I eat falls somewhere between the two). Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that people generally eat "clean" because they expect that it will somehow prolong their lives. But yet, we hear all the time about how people eat foods like fried chicken and ice cream everyday, drink and smoke heavily, never exercise and they live to be 80, 90, or 100+ years old. You ever wonder why that is?

Well this is my opinion:

Deprivation is an interesting beast. I don't know if any studies have been done, but they should be. There is a physiological reaction when the body is deprived, particularly of certain nutrients. Physical stress levels are elevated, and the body releases cortisol in response to cope. Now what if you aren't physically stressed, but rather, mentally stressed because you are avoiding the foods that you want. The body doesn't really know what is causing the stress, it just simply reacts to it.

So, what I'm getting at is this, if eating clean makes you happy, then, yes, it is probably pretty likely that it will prolong your life. But, if you are depriving yourself of the foods that you love just because you think it will prolong your life, then you are probably doing yourself a major disservice.

*AGAIN - This is only an opinion piece based on my own knowledge, experiences, and understanding. It is completely observational. The thought came to me a bit ago, and I was curious what people thought of this idea. If anyone knows of any studies relevant to the topic, by all means, please post them.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I guess, essentially what I'm saying is that happier people live longer so do what makes you happy.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Oh good, another chance to piss a friend off about clean eating.... :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Quote from Layne Norton

"I find the whole idea of ‘clean eating’ pretentious. What exactly defines a food as ‘clean’? Do you spray windex on it? Rub soap on it? I find it a bit preposterous. I’ve been in debates with people promoting ‘clean eating’ but when I ask for a specific scientific definition of what makes a food ‘clean’ they are silent. I think the restrictive diets where you can only eat a half dozen or so foods are not only unhealthy because they don’t give you a diverse intake of nutrients but I believe they promote eating disorders and binging. I see people who ‘eat clean’ during most of the week and then binge on cheesecake, ice cream, and donuts because it’s a ‘cheat’ meal. Oh yea… that is way healthier than eating ‘unclean’ foods in moderation to a hit a specific macronutrient target. *rolleyes* Now that said, I do believe that many IIFYMers (I find it funny that something myself and others been promoting for years gets an acronym attached to it and is now this ‘new’ way of eating LOL) actually go too far in one direction. Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

http://www.shreddedknowledge.com/home/a-talk-with-the-doc-dr-layne-norton/
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I guess, essentially what I'm saying is that happier people live longer so do what makes you happy.
    I so agree with this.. I used to be MAJORLY OCD about everything I ate.. All it did was make me stressed all the time, which I think is way worse on my body. Lightening up a little and enjoying life is SO much better for me!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    That was useful, thanks Steve!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Cheers. I've gone nuts before when I tried to be all restrictive and eat only healthy foods. I lost very little weight doing that.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I don't want a life without ice cream and various vices. That would be boring and unsustainable.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I don't want to live a long life if that life does not include chips.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Cheers. I've gone nuts before when I tried to be all restrictive and eat only healthy foods. I lost very little weight doing that.

Cortisol is a *****! I struggle to manage my external stress levels. I think very often that is what causes me the most problem losing because I really don't handle stress well, and by stress, I mean stuff like, the kids are in trouble at school, the car broke down, the bills are too much... and so forth. All of that stuff will raise cortisol levels as well.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods.

Exactly. There is much more that unites "clean eaters" and "IIFYMers" than divides them.

You have people on opposite ends of the spectrum: you must only eat "clean" or you can cram endless amounts of "junk" down your gullet as long as IIYM but these people generally get shunned in polite society...
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I like to "eat clean" as best I can:

- I often cook my own foods and try to limit eating overly processed, preservative laden stuff.
    - I don't do artificial sweeteners - my preference.
    - I limit soy because of the GMO factor + it not being good for thyroid issues.
    - I avoid MSG and HFCS.

That said, I know I'll never be a 100% clean eater - there are just too many foods I'll never be able to give up:

- Pizza
    - Garlic wings
    - Bacon
    - Wine
    - Fried Shrimp or Clam Strips
    - Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
    - Oreos

...you get the picture. :laugh:

I also don't preach to others based on my consumption preferences, I really don't care what others' put into their mouths!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Well I have no problem food cravings and my diet is an extreme example but I do eat "sugars" according to their GI index and separate "fats" into mono,poly,trans and proteins. Also I change the ratios of these every month after getting my testosterone checked and IGF-1 to make my diet more efficient.

Whilst it works for me I don't think the majority of the population contain sustain a diet like this for a decent amount of time.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

QFT - the brain is just as important to being healthy as any other part of your body. Personally, I'd rather focus on the quality of my life and let the quantity of years work itself out.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Clean eating drove me insane. For me, Iifym. Heck, even if it doesn't fit them!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I tend to think most "clean eaters" are just using the term as shorthand for eating low calorie density foods that fit their macros. So yea, I don't eat at fast food places because I blast through way too many calories before I feel satisfied and that doesn't work for me.
    It's the clean eating religion folks that get seriously under my skin. It's just not reality based.
  • dinkydudette
    Options
    Just to clarify, can you eat clean, as long as it fits your macros?
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    Nice read! :smile:
    I'm having a hard time with stress-hormone levels due to several factors(one of which I believe is my caloric intake.)

Must admit, I do catch myself stressing over certain food items and even restrict certain things I love (WHY am I doing this to myself.....) When actually I remember, at my leanest I simply stuck to things I like eating (many of these things were pretty natural and fresh anyway) but NEVER turning the odd piece of cake/chocolate/fatty food down for dieting reasons! Stuck to sensible portion sizes and got plenty of fresh air n exercise - et voilá!

So thanks for posting, this reminds me to focuse on my happiness and satisfaction and to believe I can do this, as long as it's sustainable and for life :flowerforyou:
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Water
    Hops
    Barley
    Yeast.

Sounds pretty clean to me. IIFMM, that is. :drinker:
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    for me my focus is to eat more. I've been undereating so that is my primary focus. I want to get healthy and well. I do want to eat clean because I want to make wiser choices when I eat. we do eat farm fresh eggs and when our garden comes in we will doing our own veggies and try to eat as much off the land as possible. besides meats from the store usually have growth hormones and we don't know the things they inject the meat with. eating our own meat off the land like our own cow we know because my stepdad does it himself.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Too answer the first part of your post, I believe genetics plays a big part of why some people can smoke, drink, and eat bacon grease everyday for 40 years and live to 100.

I think there is a lot of orthorexia going around these days. Which is quite sad, IMO. I fully enjoy being able to fit poptarts, cheesecake, ice cream, etc into my day.