Just an opinion: Clean-eating vs IIFYM

Options

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    junk food is for fat people. if you don't wanna be fat, don't eat junk food. arguing won't change that.

A single cupcake won't make one fat. Just like a single salad won't make one skinny.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I guess, essentially what I'm saying is that happier people live longer so do what makes you happy.

Great TL:DR version! I totally agree.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to find the distinction, while an amusing intellectual debate that often isn't very intellectual, to be functionally meaningless, as I've never seen anyone eat clean continuously for life. If you cheat then you are basically saying it's okay sometimes which seems to be the fundamental basis for IIFYM arguments. Perhaps it's in the extent of cheating. Maybe for some 20% cheat is too much and they practice 5%, but the very idea that any amount of junk food is going to kill you is preposterous.

That's like saying no one can ever say they eat healthy if they EVER eat something even remotely unhealthy. I don't think it's an "all in" or "not at all" idea.

What I took from his post is that we are all practicing the same thing, we are just choosing a different approach.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I had a half a Butterfinger yesterday, can not believe I've gotten within 5 lbs of my goal weight eating so terribly.
  • Smashlee_Skins
    Options
    junk food is for fat people. if you don't wanna be fat, don't eat junk food. arguing won't change that.

Arguing won't but a dose of reality will. Anorexia kills.

?? not eating junk food won't make someone anorexic buddy.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I posted this in a thread about juice drinking.
    Seems relevant here too.
    Anti-science is the new religion.
    People who have rejected traditional religion as "unbelieveable" have latched on to all sorts of non-scientific silliness because it gives them touchstones of reassurance, and those are far easier to believe in than science is to understand.

Now, I think I'll go have a coffee enema to rid myself of the toxins from the unclean food I ate yesterday.

Yes, I'm referring to the hardcore "clean eaters" with that.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I had a half a Butterfinger yesterday, can not believe I've gotten within 5 lbs of my goal weight eating so terribly.

Our junk eating has synchronized. Cool.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    seems legit.

Not to me. :huh:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options

A single cupcake won't make one fat. Just like a single salad won't make one skinny.

This one I agree with! :drinker:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to find the distinction, while an amusing intellectual debate that often isn't very intellectual, to be functionally meaningless, as I've never seen anyone eat clean continuously for life. If you cheat then you are basically saying it's okay sometimes which seems to be the fundamental basis for IIFYM arguments. Perhaps it's in the extent of cheating. Maybe for some 20% cheat is too much and they practice 5%, but the very idea that any amount of junk food is going to kill you is preposterous.

That's like saying no one can ever say they eat healthy if they EVER eat something even remotely unhealthy. I don't think it's an "all in" or "not at all" idea.

That is exactly the point though. If you agree that SOME unhealthy food is not going to harm you, then the debate really is about dosage, and the well reasoned IIFYM arguments that I have seen are exactly about dosage - usually 10% to 20% of total daily calories. Also, most of the arguments I've seen for clean eating also eventually develop into an admission that SOME junk food is okay. It really is about dosage then, and the clean vs. IIFYM distinction seems to just add fuel to a back and forth that continually misses the point.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    ................If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

http://www.shreddedknowledge.com/home/a-talk-with-the-doc-dr-layne-norton/

Totally agree there. I'm an IIFYM guy, but I eat pretty "clean" due to the fact that I have to in order to meet my macro goals. Most of my carbs come from fruit and veg and some whole grains...most of my protein is lean and most of my fats are of the unsaturated variety. In order to meet my macro goals, I have to keep things like sugary and salty processed foods and dairy to a minimum. I think the vast majority of IIFYMers do pretty much the same...we just don't get all bent out of shape over some gummy worms or that bowl of ice cream or whatever.

This makes perfect sense. As an incurable label reader from way back, I do choose the few packaged things I buy with the fewest ingredients possible. For example, I'm not sure why things like sour cream and yogurt need emulsifiers, etc., so I buy brands without. That's my choice. The older I get, the more I wonder if keeping food simple will help me avoid some medications so prevalent in people my age who have cholesterol and blood pressure problems. It certainly helps a lot in keeping the calories in check. At the same time, an occasional day of eating out or indulging in some sugary or salty food is part of life, unless one wants to become a hermit.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I have all the proof that I need....I feel better, my workouts are better and it works for me. If I eat crap food...I feel like crap, my workouts are like crap and it doesn't work for me. That's all I need.
    So in other words it's anecdotal? Because I can say the same with me eating IIFYM along with some crap food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^ Truth

I was feeling like crap before because I was overeating. Now that I focus on hitting my macros and staying within a small deficit, I feel wonderful! Now it feels good to exercise, where before I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs. The composition of my nutrient intake is much more important in how I feel than whether it came from a box. Perservatives are irrelevant in my experience.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is more humane. Make sure a lot of the food is clean within there to get nutrients.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Umm yeah.
    Looks down at abs,man I am so fat.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    bump to read later
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Arguing won't but a dose of reality will. Anorexia kills.

?? not eating junk food won't make someone anorexic buddy.

But not eating enough will. On the other hand, there are plenty of people on here that are not fat and do eat junk food. Your initial argument is wrong on it's face.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I thought it was Jack Lalanne who said "if man makes it, don't eat it". To me, that defines what is a clean food and what isn't. :happy:

What if a woman makes it?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Water
    Hops
    Barley
    Yeast.

Sounds pretty clean to me. IIFMM, that is. :drinker:

Sounds reinheitsgebot pure.

My method of eating is simple, hit my macros, which means, eat my meat, eat those roast veg I love, and drink any grains I need or want.

Besides, nothing lives in ethanol, so that's as clean as it gets.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I thought it was Jack Lalanne who said "if man makes it, don't eat it". To me, that defines what is a clean food and what isn't. :happy:

What if a woman makes it?

Sammich?