13 year old girl benches 240 lbs

Options
denezy
denezy Posts: 573 Member
Have you seen this?

http://jezebel.com/5991969/watch-a-kickass-13+year+old-girl-bench-press-240-lbs-and-grin-about-it

Russian 13 year old Maryana Naumova benches 242lbs at the Arnold Classic. She is freaking amazing.

Discuss.

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this?

http://jezebel.com/5991969/watch-a-kickass-13+year+old-girl-bench-press-240-lbs-and-grin-about-it

Russian 13 year old Maryana Naumova benches 242lbs at the Arnold Classic. She is freaking amazing.

Discuss.

The arch in her form was a tad disconcerting, but nonetheless AMAZING!!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    The arch is common among female powerlifters (or powerlifters in general, it's just more pronounced in females because of their flexibility), it's to minimize range of motion on the lift, nothing too worrying about it.

Awesome lift/strength!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    The arch is common among female powerlifters (or powerlifters in general, it's just more pronounced in females because of their flexibility), it's to minimize range of motion on the lift, nothing too worrying about it.

Awesome lift/strength!

Thanks for clarifying that Jay. Would that be a beneficial form for women who are using weightlifting for aesthetics? Versus the flat back approach?
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Regular form is leagues better for chest hypertrophy (aesthetics), a slight arch could be beneficial though.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    WOW! She's AWESOME!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Someone please explain to me why this form would be appropriate. Seems to me like a blow out waiting to happen.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Big arch and wide arms shorten the travel of the lift, allowing for more weight. A way to hit PR, but NOT a way to make changes in physical appearance.

And yes, if I saw one of the normals at my gym benching like that I'd stop to correct them.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    that awkward moment, when a little girl can bench more than you....

and she made it look easy!

damn fine work!
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but does she squat?!? :laugh:
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    The arch allows for the shoulders to take some of the brunt of the weight, hence higher weight loads. Unless you have interests in powerlifting (lifting crazy numbers like this), I wouldn't suggest considering it.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Started to comment, then watched the video.

As another poster said, women do have more flexibility and sometimes the arch feels more natural.

However, hers seems ridiculously exaggerated and in no way helpful.

But, still awesome that she lifts and is able to lift that much. I hope she keeps it up!!! I started lifting weights in middle school and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I saw that on a friend post. Pretty damn cool!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

damn fine work!

Seriously, I was tapped today at 110#. I hate myself. :D
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    That's awesome
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    if it is on jezebel it isn't real
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    this was a powerlift meet, people! jeezus, get over her arch.

you should always have an arch when bench pressing in general, though not necessarily an extreme one.

at a powerlift meet, it's time to get extreme.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Someone please explain to me why this form would be appropriate. Seems to me like a blow out waiting to happen.

That's pretty much typical powerlifter form. Her arch is definitely more pronounced, I guess young girls are flexible. But it's normal and expected. Go youtube "so you think you can bench". Any competitive powerlifter looks like that.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    this was a powerlift meet, people! jeezus, get over her arch.

you should always have an arch when bench pressing in general, though not necessarily an extreme one.

at a powerlift meet, it's time to get extreme.

people making negative comments should post their competition/meet results.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

damn fine work!

Yeah, I'm 33, 6'3" and 212lbs and she can bench about 25% more than I can. That is insanely strong for any female.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    That's how Mehdi the Stronglifts guy shows form... *shrug* looks right to me.