Replies

• deftodie
    deftodie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i agree!! sometimes you can't beat the convenience of drive thru though :/
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    This post is GREAT! I had to stop eating at McDonald's though because I put on 17 pounds between October and January (thankfully is all gone now). At first i started with the salads then I would sneak in a fry then I would sneak in a BIGMAC they i would SUPERSIZE it then they had SWEET POTATO PIES..nom,nom,nom and BAMMMMM! BLOATED.

So I swore off fast foods and now back to being my sexy self! However you guys make it sound so tempting..I will see once I get to my goal weight of 180.

PS..Have you seen how they make the McNuggets? (vomits)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

honest question really quick - what do you think causes fit people to have heart attacks? purely genetic? just wondering your thoughts on that.

i also don't think that McDonalds will kill you if you exercise moderation - but I know that to me that means a lot less often than it does for you.

real talk, people die because people die. we are all going to die. some of it is genetic. some of it can be prevented by diet and exercise. some of it can be doctored away. The man who invented jogging not only jogged most of his life but he also ate healthy....and he died of a heart attack.

being overweight/obese increases your risk of all sorts of maladies that can bring an early demise. But eating a 390 cal meal doesn't make you obese. Oh, that's right, it's got fat and sodium in it....and that means, what, exactly? remember when they taught us that eating fat made us fat? Then they were like, oops, my bad. And then they taught us that eating cholesterol gave us high cholesterol so we should eat eggs....and then, oops, my bad. remember when they told us butter was bad and the trans fats in margarine were good? oops, my bad again.

so you'll have to excuse me if i don't get my knickers in a bunch every time they point to new boogeyman. i'm losing weight eating at McDonalds and my labs get better every time time i've had them checked over the last 18 months. as a black male over 40 i'm at risk for everything (heart disease/diabetes/high cholesterol) so i get checked regularly for everything, yet my labs are as clean as yours.

eat what you want in moderation, exercise, enjoy every day of your life because nothing is promised (not even to the clean eaters)
  • DavPul
    Options
    Haven't read all the posts but regardless of whether or not the food is good or bad, (especially since a lot of places are worse) is McD's a company you really want to support? They are so large! Why not even out the playing field and get food from a local cafe. It may be a few dollars more but those dollars are going in a better direction.

because the local cafe has a terrible drive-thru, has spotty quality control when i'm on the road, and McD's gives a TON to charity and good causes. Why does large=evil and small=wholesome?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Google pink slime. The thought of Mc Donald's makes me sick after knowing what they put in there no matter how good people claim it tastes!!

McDonald's no longer uses the, so called, pink slime in their production. A process, by the way, which the USDA still approves. Which is why McDonald's ever used it to begin with. It used to be considered a good thing to use as much of the meat on the bones as possible so as to not waste any.
    besides the fact they disinfect the meat by washing it in ammonia...
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

honest question really quick - what do you think causes fit people to have heart attacks? purely genetic? just wondering your thoughts on that.

i also don't think that McDonalds will kill you if you exercise moderation - but I know that to me that means a lot less often than it does for you.

real talk, people die because people die. we are all going to die. some of it is genetic. some of it can be prevented by diet and exercise. some of it can be doctored away. The man who invented jogging not only jogged most of his life but he also ate healthy....and he died of a heart attack.

being overweight/obese increases your risk of all sorts of maladies that can bring an early demise. But eating a 390 cal meal doesn't make you obese. Oh, that's right, it's got fat and sodium in it....and that means, what, exactly? remember when they taught us that eating fat made us fat? Then they were like, oops, my bad. And then they taught us that eating cholesterol gave us high cholesterol so we should eat eggs....and then, oops, my bad. remember when they told us butter was bad and the trans fats in margarine were good? oops, my bad again.

so you'll have to excuse me if i don't get my knickers in a bunch every time they point to new boogeyman. i'm losing weight eating at McDonalds and my labs get better every time time i've had them checked over the last 18 months. as a black male over 40 i'm at risk for everything (heart disease/diabetes/high cholesterol) so i get checked regularly for everything, yet my labs are as clean as yours.

eat what you want in moderation, exercise, enjoy every day of your life because nothing is promised (not even to the clean eaters)

I'm glad things are going well for you. If you're happy doing it your way, and good with your progress, keep on keepin' on. But there's nothing wrong with folks who are happy doing it my way either. :)
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Why not get a real burger from a local joint made with real fresh beef?

TOTALLY. People still go to McDonald's ? Where have I been..
  • Kimberly3013
    Kimberly3013 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I completely agree with you. I work at the hospital on the burn unit and I see everyday people that are in good health but near death and young. I like the fact that you said to enjoy every day of your life because nothing is promised to you. It is so true. Enjoy McDonald's if you want it, but like you said eat in moderation and exercise.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

I'm glad things are going well for you. If you're happy doing it your way, and good with your progress, keep on keepin' on. But there's nothing wrong with folks who are happy doing it my way either. :)

Interjecting here because, well, it seems I have nothing better to do for the next ten minutes, but it seems that you guys agree that it's okay to eat McDonald's, and that people who do should keep on keepin' on. Pretty sure that the people who eat McDonald's think it is okay for the clean guys to keep on keepin' on their way, too.

My only problem is why do some of the clean freaks seem to think it is necessary to tell the McDonald's eaters that they're doing it all wrong? I don't mean you, necessarily Coach because your most recent posts include admissions of eating the fries recently etc., but quite a few just can't seem to let it go that it can be okay, and people can still be healthy when they do it?

Nobody wants to take the clean food away, but the cheaners want to take the food they've deemed junk away.

Just my observations. Back to my regularly scheduled not having an opinion.
  • DavPul
    Options

I think you know me a bit better than that. If you want to do it your way, I could care less. Do it my way, I don't care either. Every one is free to do what they want. I like, nay, LOVE fast food, so I figured out a way to fit it into my macros. You love eating clean, so you figured out how to fit it into your life. I'm totally cool with that.

My main, if not only, problem with you is that you tend to say your way is the only way, or best way. It's not the only way and it tends to be so strict that many people fall off the wagon before losing enough weight to better their overall health.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I think you know me a bit better than that. If you want to do it your way, I could care less. Do it my way, I don't care either. Every one is free to do what they want. I like, nay, LOVE fast food, so I figured out a way to fit it into my macros. You love eating clean, so you figured out how to fit it into your life. I'm totally cool with that.

My main, if not only, problem with you is that you tend to say your way is the only way, or best way. It's not the only way and it tends to be so strict that many people fall off the wagon before losing enough weight to better their overall health.

i've actually tempered a bit on that front - go check out the most recent pop tart thread.

i had a pop tart today.... movie theatre popcorn and sour patch kids on friday.... i'm not as straight edge as y'all think. and i've always advocated for people not to cut something out if they really enjoy it. do what makes you happy. if eating whatever you want and dying young makes you happy great. if eating whatever you want within reason as long as your health markers are good makes you happy then great. if eating super clean makes you happy great. Do i personally believe that "my way" is healthier than yours? Yeah... otherwise i wouldn't be doing it... but as long as your vitals are good, keep doing what your doing.

the thing that bugs me is the same thing that bugs you about me. you guys don't like when i flame against those touting fast food, and i'm not a fan when you guys go into more clean-eating type threads spouting "mmm hamburgers"

it's the same thing. but in any case, i do respect you and your opinions and i know that if you ran into a situation where suddenly your vitals weren't going the right direction, you'd know what to do to turn it around. I just don't think everyone has those same tools
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Cheeseburger Happy Meal 415 calories

I get fries and a toy! :bigsmile:

I added in a hot caramel sundae for another 340 calories the last time. It was good!

is the toy added in the calorie amount? :wink:
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it into your calorie requirements, and it makes you happy - ie. Having a bit of fast food here and there makes you more likely to stick to your plan since you don't feel like you're depriving yourself, then it's probably in your best interest to eat it.

The way I see it is if you're happy and hitting your calorie goals you're going to be healthy, more or less. Not everyone has the mindset to go down the road of 100% "clean" eating or Paleo or whatever.

The sodium is high but it can be managed. The fat is high but it can be managed. You get a bit of protein - ok so of course you're not eating 100% grass fed beef from Aberdeen but what can you do.

If you're looking to lose weight, then hitting your calorie requirements is 10 times more important than anything else. After that you can start working around the margins.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I miss the salad shakers :(
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    2 McDoubles
    1 Diet Coke

780 cals, 46 grams protein, $ 3.58

That would probably fill me up all day... but one McDouble... yep!

It really is incredibly filling, but I eat like an animal. So one is probably right for most people and will easily fit in their calorie budget.

I feel that. It always takes two mcdoubles to fill me up if I go to mcdonalds!
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

^^ THIS.

You don't DIE because you eat McDonalds. Period. People die every day for many many reasons. Enjoy life while you have it and get mcdonalds every once in a while... or every day, if it suits you.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    McDonald's makes ma:sick: belly hurtz :sick: so, thanks but I'll pass.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Some people acting like they've never had McDonald's... Pfft.

I've never had a McDonalds. Seriously.

They didn't exist in the UK when I was a kid; I lived in a very rural area with no fast food outlets whatsoever and I grew up in a family that believed in home-grown, foraged, hunted or bought from local producers so when I grew up it didn't even occur to me to go to fast food places.

So I have to admit that I always find it amusing when people assume that everyone must surely have had one :smile:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

^^ THIS.

You don't DIE because you eat McDonalds. Period. People die every day for many many reasons. Enjoy life while you have it and get mcdonalds every once in a while... or every day, if it suits you.

well... you CAN if you eat too much for too long...
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Dont eat fast food much. i do eat the side salad diet coke and unswseet tea. i do eat jacks breakfast jack. i also eat a grilled cheese or a taco at a local restaurant. but i mix with a salad or yogurt. time is a factor. i am always eating in my car. Bslance. thats wjat the nutritionist told me. Better to eat a snack pack of chips then a donut or nothing at all. add some cheese and your ok. main thing is being aware of what we eat. I still eat what i want. juat use portion control and more healthy than junk.