A LADY WHO LIFTS - 1 year of progress! (pics)

Options

Replies

• mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You are exactly what I would think OPPOSITE of when I hear of a woman lifting! yOu look FABULOUS and you aren't bulky at all! I wonder if myself, at 80 pounds overweight, would have to lose some weight before even thinking of lifting? I have always had bulky calves when I was skinny and fit (back in high school) it runs in my family, but worry with my 5 ft 1 frame if I would bulk up! Seeing your pics makes me want to look more into this! Thank you for sharing!
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Nice work! You look fantastic. Congrats!
  • sanifr
    sanifr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You are exactly what I would think OPPOSITE of when I hear of a woman lifting! yOu look FABULOUS and you aren't bulky at all! I wonder if myself, at 80 pounds overweight, would have to lose some weight before even thinking of lifting? I have always had bulky calves when I was skinny and fit (back in high school) it runs in my family, but worry with my 5 ft 1 frame if I would bulk up! Seeing your pics makes me want to look more into this! Thank you for sharing!

There is no reason to wait to start lifting. You will find that your body changes much more quickly regardless of what the scale reads when losing and lifting because each pound you lose will be ALL fat instead of half fat and half muscle!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    How much protein and carbs should i eat to avoid getting bulky? I have been doing cardio to loose weight and was thinking about added some weights so I won't loose all my muscle.

There's no such thing as getting bulky for women! A good macro ratio for strength training is 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein or if you're still doing a lot of cardio you could also do 45/30/25 carbs fat protein. Find a good balance for you, it's all about what you like! I have actually been aiming for about 33/33/33 ish nowadays, I've found I'm happier if I have a higher amount of fat in my diet and that I don't need all those carbs. Good luck!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    Hi,

You look great. I am going to try this out. I need to lose and tone my thighs, are a lumpy and big. I was always afraid that doing weights would make them bigger. But your legs looks like they got toned with the process.

Thanks for sharing.

Melissa

Thank you very much Melissa! Yes, heavy lifting will make you get that "toned" look that everyone wants, although being "toned" isn't a real thing, you either have muscles that haven't atrophied and a low-ish percent of overall body fat or you don't. Different strength training wont' make your muscles look any different, for example heavy lifting vs body weight strength training or lighter weight lifting. Good luck!
  • fittiephd
    Options

Nope, you won't bulk up, promise :) Any woman you've seen that actually does look bulky has put years and years of difficult training and strict eating regimens with LOTS of food to get that bulk. It doesn't happen by accident.

If you think you look 'bulky' but can't see all of your muscles then it's just body fat, not anything resulting from lifting heavy. And yes, at 80lbs overweight you can definitely start lifting and it will help you maintain your muscles while you are losing weight. You will lose weight more slowly, but the key is that you will be losing MOSTLY FAT and NOT MUSCLE, which you don't want to lose because muscle keeps everything tight and small and STRONG by the way ;) .

I also have larger calves proportionally, my mother and grandparents do too, it's just one of those things we have to deal with ;)
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think you look amazing and are an inspiration to a lot of women out there, myself included!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • squinz
    squinz Posts: 136
    Options
    Wow. you look ace. total fitspiration!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    I think you look amazing and are an inspiration to a lot of women out there, myself included!!!! :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I love inspiring Women to lift!!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great! Thanks for helping me make my decision as to whether to start that program.

Congratulations!:drinker:
  • DesignerToast
    Options
    Thank you for such an inspiring post OP!! I'm nearly done with stage one of NROLFW and I'm slowly starting to see some changes. Your post just gave me that much more motivation to push myself and keep going. Congratulations on your awesome accomplishment!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    No problem! Glad to inspire! Hope nrolfw is going well for you!
  • amcgltdchix
    Options
    Awesome!
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bump.... Totally doing this after insanity and when my budget is not so tight from my wedding!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Awesome results, congrats on your success!!!!!!!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got back into weight lifting 2 weeks ago (I weight lifted in Dec and Jan quit, then did it for about 2 to 3 weeks before I had started Insanity, ended up injured coming out of a jump wrong and am now back to weight lifting) and I am hoping to be able to see some results from it and the doctor also recommended i get back into it.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in love with your legs and booty :). How many days do you lift? Alternate legs, arms, abs, etc?
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!