A LADY WHO LIFTS - 1 year of progress! (pics)

Options

Replies

• Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I look very similar to your before pictures and have just started lifting heavier.
    I do a dumbbells workout at home, 3x per week for about 45 minutes.

I would love to lose about 5 lbs, but really I just want to gain muscle and lose fat like you did.

I went to the post where you explained how many calories one should eat while doing a lifting routine (which I realize is a nrol4w routine) .

My stats are:

Workout days: 2300
    Rest days: 2000

I could lower that to 2000 and 1700 if I want to lose weight, but I don't think I will.
    However, since I am doing an at home routine and not doing cardio, maybe I shouldn't go quite as high as 2300.

So my question is, do you think eating about 2000 every day (rest and workout days) would be good to gain muscle and lose fat?
    Or, should I eat about 1800 on rest days and 2000 on workout days? What would you suggest?

Hey! Great questions!

I think eating 2000 every day would be great, then you'd end up with about a 900 calorie / week deficit which is not large and would definitely allow you to essentially maintain your weight while losing body fat. Whether or not you are doing cardio doesn't have anything to do with it. Your body burns calories while lifting weights as well, even if it's at home! Your body doesn't care where you're working out as long as you're doing it ;)

My next tip/advice is to do what feels best for you. If you find after 3 months of eating 2000 cals every day that you are either really full, really hungry, or just not progressing like you think you should be, knock it down to 1900 cals or 2100 cals or whatever you think feels right. The calculations provide great starting points/guidelines but cannot give you the exact caloric intake you need because they're based on estimations and general averages. Also, as much as we like to think we are extremely meticulous in calorie counting, we'll never be absolutely perfect so it's best to just think of calories as a general goal and try to eat semi-intuitively. I usually focus more on my macros and often susbcribe to the IIFYM thought process. Right now my macros are at 40% carbs, 25% fat, 35% protein.

Thank you so much!! I will give it a try :)
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to sound dumb on her but what does NROLFW stand for? and how do you access it? Do you already have to be at your ideal weight to begin?

Not a dumb question! I should have written it out. It's a book called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". It's a great beginners guide to lifting aimed at women (but it's just like a men's program because women can lift just like them!). It explains the benefits of lifting, how it effects your body, and nutrition. It has meal suggestions and a 6 month workout plan with instructions on how to do all the lifts. It can be found on amazon for ~12 dollars.

You do not need to be at your ideal weight to begin lifting! In fact the sooner the better!! Dieting tends to cause muscle loss which just makes one's body looser and jigglier. Strength training makes everything tighter and stronger!

THANK YOU! I have been directed to this more than once, and just need to kick it in gear and buy the book, do the plan. You look fabulous!
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY LOVE this!!! Now I know where to start! Incredible results!
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    WOW! You really look fantastic! Keep up the hard work - it shows!

I'm a runner but am slowly workng my way into lifting. I will run my 2nd mini-marathon on April 28th and after that, lifting three days a week. CAN"T WAIT!!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Love getting more women excited about lifting! It's amazing to feel strong in the gym and in life, I know you all will love it!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    very good job!
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    You look amazing :smile:
  • pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hot damn! Great job! Thanks for reminding us chickies to EAT and that it is OKAY to lift :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Congrats!
  • lady_daraine
    Options
    Ok - I don't have time to read all the posts (at work, shouldn't even be here :) but couldn't help it) so sorry if someone already asked this. Is the weightlifting book for women discussed in the beginning (NWLFW of whatever the acronym was) flexible for women who don't have access to all the standard gym equipment? I have a gym at my apartment complex, with dumb bells and cardio equipment, but no barbells that I could use for things like deadlifts or cleans. I have done Crossfit in the past, but unfortunately I can't right now - and that little "gym" workout room is the best I have. I need programming (I am terrible at planning my own) and my fitness level now is right at a beginner level. I have a 20 pound kettlebell of my own, too, but that's it.
    What do you all recommend? Get that book and give it my best shot with the equipment I have? Another program? I'm ready to do some weight training again and I'd like some advice.

Thanks in advance!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    Ok - I don't have time to read all the posts (at work, shouldn't even be here :) but couldn't help it) so sorry if someone already asked this. Is the weightlifting book for women discussed in the beginning (NWLFW of whatever the acronym was) flexible for women who don't have access to all the standard gym equipment? I have a gym at my apartment complex, with dumb bells and cardio equipment, but no barbells that I could use for things like deadlifts or cleans. I have done Crossfit in the past, but unfortunately I can't right now - and that little "gym" workout room is the best I have. I need programming (I am terrible at planning my own) and my fitness level now is right at a beginner level. I have a 20 pound kettlebell of my own, too, but that's it.
    What do you all recommend? Get that book and give it my best shot with the equipment I have? Another program? I'm ready to do some weight training again and I'd like some advice.

Thanks in advance!

NROLFW has a lot of dumbbell work but does focus a lot on using all the equipment found in a gym. However if you google dumbbell workout programs or search bodybuilding.com you can find a lot of programs that will work well in a small gym like yours. Other sites like dailyhiit.com or programs like p90x use body weight and dumbbells for strength and those are very effective as well. You can modify any program to suit your needs by googling which similar exercises you can sub to hit similar muscles or hte same muscles. But any strength training is better than none! Good luck!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congratulations!
  • michie27
    michie27 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Yay for more ladies lifting!
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am so interested in lifting and would love to get started. I am doing turbofire currently. My only dilemma is that working out from home is a must for me. It would be impossible for me to get out to a gym but maybe once a week. I don't think that lifting is a option for me without the ability to access the necessary equipment. Boo. You look fabulous. I want to be strong and in shape I don't care to be skinny.
  • amymcs
    amymcs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    I am so interested in lifting and would love to get started. I am doing turbofire currently. My only dilemma is that working out from home is a must for me. It would be impossible for me to get out to a gym but maybe once a week. I don't think that lifting is a option for me without the ability to access the necessary equipment. Boo. You look fabulous. I want to be strong and in shape I don't care to be skinny.

There are many workout programs that can be done at home. I personally prefer heavy lifting at the gym but that is just personal preference. You can get stronger at home using dumbbells or even without equipment, doing body weight exercises. Like pull ups and push ups and squats lunges wall sits planks etc etc. Turbofire is a lot of fun but is mostly cardio, you can try doing Chalean extreme next or p90x which both include strength training and can be done at home with minimal equipment!

Another example of a program similar to Turbofire but shorter and has more body weight strength movements is the workouts on dailyhiit.com, which can also be done at home.

Good luck!
  • tems78
    tems78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump!!!! inspirational
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    Wow! You look great! I can't wait to see my results in one year, I too have start lifting heavy and do very little cardio! Rock on!????
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You are completely awesome :)
    Great work! X
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm doing NROL4W now! Bumping this for motivation when...great job! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!