What NOT to say to a bride....

Options

Replies

• sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Brides are annoying. Nobody cares about your fu$king wedding.

you're an angry troll, aren't you?

I'm getting married next April. I do realize that my wedding isn't the biggest thing everyone around me has on tap. I'm realistic. I know that it's just one day to everyone else, because I feel the same way about other people's weddings. As a bride, I'm going to enjoy an expensive day surrounded by the people I love. Ultimately, all people care about having a great time & that the *couple* (not the bride) walks away from the wedding happy.

I think the expectation the world revolve around you because you're getting married is absurd.

**Note: I also hate all the "I'm the bride, it's my day!" BS. It's not your day. It's your and your husband's day.

Also, maybe people are asking you what they should wear because they are afraid of your reaction if they pick the wrong thing??!

And......the winner! :drinker:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You should mention to your fiance that we slept together.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hint: If you don't care about your guests, you're bridzilla. I had a huge wedding and spent a lot of time planning. I couldn't imagine thinking some of those things.

I agree. My wedding wasn't just about me, it was about celebrating all the people who lead me to become the woman I am, and supported me through my life. All of the most special people in the world to me were under one roof at one time, which wouldn't happen again (unless...anniversary parties??). I wanted them to all be comfortable and have a good time, so I tried to accomodate them as much as possible.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    this was something my mother actually said to me.

"you know I was so proud of your brother when he eloped... maybe you should"
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    1. do you need any help planning the wedding? --Just don't ever offer to help them do anything.

2. you look almost as beautiful today as the girl your groom "dated" on spring break. -- Have heard this in person
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I don't think you're a troll. I agree with you. Wedding's are an exercise in narcissism. I say that and I'm married. No, I didn't have a wedding, and because we saved that expense, we were able to buy a home 2 years into our marriage.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

I'm getting married next April. I do realize that my wedding isn't the biggest thing everyone around me has on tap. I'm realistic. I know that it's just one day to everyone else, because I feel the same way about other people's weddings. As a bride, I'm going to enjoy an expensive day surrounded by the people I love. Ultimately, all people care about having a great time & that the *couple* (not the bride) walks away from the wedding happy.

I think the expectation the world revolve around you because you're getting married is absurd.

**Note: I also hate all the "I'm the bride, it's my day!" BS. It's not your day. It's your and your husband's day.

Also, maybe people are asking you what they should wear because they are afraid of your reaction if they pick the wrong thing??!

:drinker: Thank you!! It is a celebration.. have fun and Congratulations! Nice outlook (I had the same ..and I would have totally helped a friend or family member pick clothes or discuss their hair!)

Exactly. We were pretty casual and easy going about the whole thing. It was on my family's property by the river, simple potluck type buffet, and people could wear whatever the heck they wanted, we didn't care. Some people wore nice suits and dresses, some people came in jeans and t-shirts. When people asked what they should wear, I told them I didn't care... unless they were a bridesmaid. Then I told them I don't care but here's a sample of the color scheme.

My only freak out came when I realized after the ceremony that I had forgotten my beautiful and expensive bouquet in the house. Doh! I blame my freak out on the nerves rather than actually forgetting my flowers.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I was recently in a wedding where the bride is heavier set and everyone kept asking her "Oh, are you going to try and lose weight before the wedding?" or "Are you still going to fit into your dress?"

poor gal...
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Things better left unsaid to the bride:

Hey since ur married now, is ur sisters divorce final?
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

This is perfect. I hate the idea it's "the brides" day. I can't wait to get married, have a kick *kitten* party and for everybody to have a great time.
    But it won't be my day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Best man: "Where's your maid of honor? She left some stuff over at your fiancee's last night."

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • starstuckinajar
    Options
    "Oooo I can't wait to be in your wedding ... ".... Umm... you're in the wedding? o really? umm... no....

and my favorite

" how much is this all costing you? - your parents are paying for it right?!" - umm.. sorry, that's private, and actually we're doing this pretty much all on our own...
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The minute after you tell them you got engaged that morning and the first thing that comes out of their mouth, "Have you set a date?" Um, well, we have been engaged for an hour, but yes we have all the plans set and booked and you can expect your invitation tomorrow. Really people!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Halleloo. This is precisely why we eloped. Got married in a hot air balloon with nobody around but my husband and the pilot. And because I didn't want to spend $30,000 to entertain and feed everyone else. No thanks!
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    As a groom....Probably the worst thing to say is...."Your sister is better in bed."
    As a bridesmaid..."Your husband is terrible in bed." or "You really look fat in your dress."
    As the father of the bride...."Your not pregnant are you?"
    I could go on and on,,,,,,,
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're being a bridezilla, people are just selfish and don't realize how much stress you already have on you without adding their own problems. It's not like you're being super picky, those are just common decencies lol, who shows up with a guest when one isn't invited? There are TOO many overbearing relatives that tend to think *other* people's social celebrations are all about them, its about you and your husband and getting to be surrounded by friends and family that care about you, not a time for you two to please and perfectly accommodate all of them simultaneously. You shouldn't have to please and reassure everyone, especially regarding your wedding.
    Hope your day goes fabulously, and ignore the jaded people. As long as you're not demanding a ton of people or treating them poorly (which you're not,) you're good. :drinker:
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    I had a great time at the bachelor party! But maybe you should hold off on the honeymoon for a couple of weeks...or at least until he gets some antibiotics...
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    The minute after you tell them you got engaged that morning and the first thing that comes out of their mouth, "Have you set a date?" Um, well, we have been engaged for an hour, but yes we have all the plans set and booked and you can expect your invitation tomorrow. Really people!

you would be surprised I knew a girl who set a date before she met her husband, she was getting married may 5th no matter what.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Did you get a pre-nup?
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    "Oooo I can't wait to be in your wedding ... ".... Umm... you're in the wedding? o really? umm... no....

and my favorite

" how much is this all costing you? - your parents are paying for it right?!" - umm.. sorry, that's private, and actually we're doing this pretty much all on our own...

The first, yeah... I can see the problem there...

The second though... speaking as a former Bridesmaid who is broke bumpkin' poor. If you ask someone to be a part of your wedding they need to know these things so that they can manage to pull the money from somewhere! I was fortunate enough to have a Bride who's mother paid for our dresses, our matching cowboy style boots, shawls and alterations for our dresses. Keep in mind she is the CEO of the second largest MHMR company in Texas... but still, It was very kind.