What HEALTHY foods are you craving and/or do you just LOVE?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    guys.

I just had jamaican oxtail for the first time.

easily my new favorite meat dish. just.... just the greatest thing ever. new item for the shopping list!

If you like that, Coach, you'd probably like osso buco too. Here's a video link to a cooking segment, showing how to make it. Enjoy! http://laurainthekitchen.com/all/episode.php?episodenumber=353

yes! I'm all about the marrow. thanks for that!

In fact, I just went to Whole Foods and grabbed two bone-in beef shanks! Local, pasture-raised and only $7.99/lb

Who said healthy and environmentally conscious can't be affordable?

$8 a pound for a crappy cut of meat, including bone? Shank is usually one of the cheapest cuts of beef there is.

Beef shank cuts are like $3 a pound, no bone, in the supermarkets around here.
  • OliveDouglas
    Options
    I'm piggy backing off this.....I eat cottage cheese and berries practically every day! Now I'm on the crave of whole grain wheat thins with hummus :-)
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Sunflower butter
    avocado
    oranges and mangos turned into an amazing smoothie
    tuna fajitas with mango salsa mmmmmmmm
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Canteloupe. And tomatoes. I could live on them for the rest of my life.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    guys.

easily my new favorite meat dish. just.... just the greatest thing ever. new item for the shopping list!

If you like that, Coach, you'd probably like osso buco too. Here's a video link to a cooking segment, showing how to make it. Enjoy! http://laurainthekitchen.com/all/episode.php?episodenumber=353

In fact, I just went to Whole Foods and grabbed two bone-in beef shanks! Local, pasture-raised and only $7.99/lb

$8 a pound for a crappy cut of meat, including bone? Shank is usually one of the cheapest cuts of beef there is.

yeah that **** aint local or grass fed. :happy:

and it's not a crappy cut, and i love bone marrow!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    guys.

No, it's not, but over twice the cost is a pretty hefty markup to get local grass fed beef. Damn.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    guys.

No, it's not, but over twice the cost is a pretty hefty markup to get local grass fed beef. Damn.

i did a lot of research yesterday looking at local farms in the area and how much their beef costs. it's in line.

EDIT: the regular cut was $5.99/lb, so only $2 markup for a significantly better quality product.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    guys.

i did a lot of research yesterday looking at local farms in the area and how much their beef costs. it's in line.

Pretty good reason to keep buying the regular stuff. 266% of the cost! No thanks.
  • karivarner
    Options
    Extra spicey sabra hummus with ANYTHING!! Black bean hummus too, or garlic, or OH! Jalapeno! YUMMMMY!
    Avacados mashed up and covered in chunky salsa eaten with celery sticks.
    Pineapple coconut smoothies
    Broiled tomatoes sprinkled with parmesan cheese
    My homeade sugar free chocolate pudding made with coconut milk
    Sugar free vamilla trifle with triple berry blend & some vanilla wafers.
    Hoppin John.
    Tuna or chicken salad with cucmber slices & celery sticks.
    Steel cut oats with coconut butter & triple berries.
    Salad with tons & tons of veggies but no carrots.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    guys.

Pretty good reason to keep buying the regular stuff. 266% of the cost! No thanks.

meh, my health and my carbon footprint are worth $2 extra.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    guys.

I think you are right, Coach. And your guests will really be impressed if you set the table with "marrow spoons" when you serve osso buco. Real Italian osso buco should be made from veal shanks and this N.Y Times article (which also looks at "marrow spoons" says that you can often get the veal shanks for free. http://www.nytimes.com/1982/05/12/garden/kitchen-equipment-spoons-for-marrow.html You can probably get some Victorian marrow spoons at a flea market. (Although, if they are real silver, they would likely be bought up already).
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    guys.

I think you are right, Coach. And your guests will really be impressed if you set the table with "marrow spoons" when you serve osso buco. Real Italian osso buco should be made from veal shanks and this N.Y Times article (which also looks at "marrow spoons" says that you can often get the veal shanks for free. http://www.nytimes.com/1982/05/12/garden/kitchen-equipment-spoons-for-marrow.html You can probably get some Victorian marrow spoons at a flea market. (Although, if they are real silver, they would likely be bought up already).

I hear ya on the veal - I just prefer beef.

as far as that article, it's pretty old, and unfortunately cuts like ox tail and shanks are gaining popularity again so it's tougher to get them gratis. however, hitting up a butcher shop can get you some awesome discount cuts if you know what to ask for.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    guys.

I hear ya on the veal - I just prefer beef.

as far as that article, it's pretty old, and unfortunately cuts like ox tail and shanks are gaining popularity again so it's tougher to get them gratis. however, hitting up a butcher shop can get you some awesome discount cuts if you know what to ask for.

Yipes--that article is over 30 years old! LOL--sorry. :ohwell:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

:tongue: no worries. it was still actually true until the last few years or so as chefs and foodies started getting into more of the "less desirable" cuts.
  • jonnythan
    Options

:tongue: no worries. it was still actually true until the last few years or so as chefs and foodies started getting into more of the "less desirable" cuts.

There's a reason they make soups and stews with them instead of just cooking and eating. There's also a reason no one makes soups and stews with tenderloin.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

There's a reason they make soups and stews with them instead of just cooking and eating. There's also a reason no one makes soups and stews with tenderloin.

yeah because they take longer to cook. however, give me a hunk of braised meat over a tenderloin any day of the week. sure steak's great, but ain't nothin' compared to the braised ox tails i had last night. seriously... best thing I've ever eaten.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    whiskey
    vodka
    wine
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    whiskey
    vodka
    wine

Should we be worried about you? Or was that a joke?
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    So craving some in season watermelon...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
  • munanabanana
    munanabanana Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys mentioned some really delicious sounding foods in here. I sure am craving them now XD

Usually the healthy foods I crave are salads- I'll feel bloated and I'll feel like I need a "cleanser" of sorts. I don't know. Just something fresh and crispy.

I also really crave fruits, watermelon DEFINITELY, and apples and grapes and pears and bananas!

The problem with most fruits and veggies for me is that I get an annoying allergic reaction that makes my throat itch =( stupid allergies.