greek yogurt anyone?

Options

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Mix a cup of plain greek yogurt with an apple and two tablespoons of fat free caramel, bam, you've got a yummy dessert!
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I used president choice plain greek as well. I used it in my salads, as veggie dips. I mix it in with some herbs and I used it as my salad dressings or dips. I also mix in a bit of salsa as well. Changes the flavor as well. I eat one homemade salad where I cube up grilled chicken breast, and mix in diced tomato, diced cucumber, chopped green onion and some plain greek yogurt. Mix it all up and enjoy!!
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My dessert most nights:

½ cup Fage 0% non-fat plain Greek yogurt
    1 serving of semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1 cup frozen berries or 1 chopped frozen banana (sometimes all three)
    ½ tbsp homemade chocolate syrup or organic honey

Mash it up with a teaspoon.

Eat.

My buddy uses sliced almonds, dried fruit and honey as his yogurt toppings.

Last year I made a smoothie frequently with the yogurt, one scoop protein powder (chocolate), one cup frozen blueberries and/or one chopped frozen banana, one tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder or one serving of semi-sweet chocolate chips, and one cup unsweetened almond milk.

You'll need a tall cup for that smoothie, especially if you want to top it off with fresh strawberries. And a long spoon to scrape the yummy bits of chocolate chips at the bottom of the cup.

:flowerforyou:

I've never been a huge fan of yogurt.. the texture and taste is just weird to me. But I keep hearing how great greek yogurt is because of it's high protein content (which I totally need more of) so I bought some today. I got President's choice's Plain greek yogurt.

Are there any brands that you like better than others (regarding taste, health or whatever)?? Also, how do you guys eat it? On it's own, mixed with stuff, in recipes?

Any recipes or combos you guys may have would be SUPER appreciated :)
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I tried soooo many kinds. I disliked all but Yoplait Greek yogurt. But then I discovered CARBmaster from Kroger. It is high in protein but only 60 calories and only 3g of sugar. I do use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream and Mayo in recipes.

I saw that in the store recently and the flavors sounded delicious but the way it was labeled "cultured dairy product" instead of yogurt made me scared to try it. So it's good then?

I love it. All the flavors are amazing. Black Forest Cake is so so so good! When I first heard about it the complaints I heard about was the consistency. It is thick like greek yogurt. It does contain surcalose...that is how they keep the sugar down..I know this is a no no for some people, but not to me. Sometimes I eat two a day...it really helps when I have a sweet tooth.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    Chiobani and Trader Joe's brand if u have one near you!! ;)

This!!!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Tried Libertes passion fruit and peach..the only greek yogurt I will eat.. all the rest is blah...
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Dannon Oikos blueberry Greek yogurt is my reason for living. I'm only half-joking here.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Fage, I usually buy at a ratio of about 2-3:1 the 0% versus the 2%. The nonfat is great for adding in other things (I like to simply add a pack of stevia or mix with protein powder), and the fat version (which definitely tastes better) is good for adding in a bit of dietary fat - often I will just add stevia to it.

If it weren't so relatively expensive I would eat more than 3 cartons of it daily ^_^
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm having a love affair with fage total. It's like freakin' cheesecake. 8oz yogurt with 3/4tsp of Truvia (or more) and a splash of vanilla and I'm eating cheesecake for breakfast. Or whenever. Like now...
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Two tablespoons of greek yogurt in a protein shake, you don't even know it's there taste-wise.

Just get it inside ya!
  • BigJza
    BigJza Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Source and Silhouette both offer a single serving size Greek yogurt in various flavours at only 50 calories with 8 grams of protein. The Oikos honey one is great too...so is the key lime...at 100 cals. I eat Greek yogurt almost every day...great snack with good values.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I am a Fage fan! Either the 0% or the 2% varieties with the fruit on the side. All I can say is YUM! The only greek yogurt I will eat.

And like others have mentioned, I use plain Fage as sub for other items when cooking or preparing meals.
  • Amellej
    Amellej Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Oykos Greek style with strawberry, very addictive:smile:
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I Love Greek Yogurt! I eat it almost everyday for breakfast. I buy three large containers every two weeks so I purchase the Walmart Great Value Brand (Plain) yogurt. It's the lowest price I've found and good macros. I take 6oz of Plain Greek, 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, 100 calorie pack of Nature almonds and walnuts, and some Splenda to taste. Mix it all up and you have a big bowl of protein packed deliciousness!

yay, someone else that adds frozen blueberries to yogurt! my friends always thought I was weird...
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Fage is the best hands down!!
  • loui1234
    loui1234 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like Total 0%, and eat it mixed with granola and fresh blueberries :)
  • thejubster1
    thejubster1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried any of this yet myself, but got this list of substitution potentials for Chobani at my local supermarket:

1 cup butter = 1/4 cup Chobani + 1/2 cup butter .........for mashed potato, biscuits or cakes
    1 cup oil = 3/4 cup Chobani ................. for brownies, biscuits, cakes, pancakes
    1 cup sour cream = 1 cup Chobani ..... for baked potatoes, dips, cakes
  • thejubster1
    thejubster1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried any of this yet myself, but got this list of substitution potentials for Chobani at my local supermarket:

1 cup butter = 1/4 cup Chobani + 1/2 cup butter .........for mashed potato, biscuits or cakes
    1 cup oil = 3/4 cup Chobani ................. for brownies, biscuits, cakes, pancakes
    1 cup sour cream = 1 cup Chobani ...................... for baked potatoes, dips, cakes
    1 cup mayonnaise = 1 cup Chobani ......... ............for dips, sauces, coleslaw
    1 cup cream cheese = 1 cup Chobani .....................for cheesecake, frosting, dips

Maybe I'll give it a go with new recipes over Easter ????
  • Zeppyb
    Zeppyb Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a Greek yogurt wussy! The texture is a little hard for me to swallow. I've tried Oikos and Chobani and was able to force down a few servings on occasion, but it was tough. I do like Yoplait Greek, but have only tried the strawberry. I know the stuff is really good for me so I'm going to look for Fage as many of you have mentioned and try to sneak in plain yogurt into my cooking and try to give it more of a chance.
  • This_chick221
    Options
    I use it as sour cream. I made a taco salad the other day, bypassed dressing and mixed some yogurt in! outstanding!

Take a packet of ranch and mix that in with some, dip carrots. BAM! Guilt free snacking deliciousness.

My fav is Fage, it seems to be the one with the HIGHEST protein content.

:)