Monsanto Protection Act

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    *sigh* a former monsanto employee is the deputy commmissioner of the FDA.. That is not made up.. look it up.
    -Michael Taylor
    -Roger Beachy
    -Tom Vilsack
    -Islam Siddiqui
    -Ramona Romero
    -Rajiv Shah
    - all monsanto or that other comapny that does the same thing

Regarding the money.. monsanto gave something like a million dollars to the campaigns... of course i don't know how it's split between the parties and the house and senate.

and i already fixed my statement about the wheat..
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    *sigh* a former monsanto employee is the deputy commmissioner of the FDA.. That is not made up.. look it up.
    -Michael Taylor
    -Roger Beachy
    -Tom Vilsack
    -Islam Siddiqui
    -Ramona Romero
    -Rajiv Shah

Regarding the money.. monsanto gave something like a million dollars to the campaigns... of course i don't know how it's split between the parties and the house and senate.

So the FDA uses a unique org chart that has the deputy commissioner a head of the commissioner?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    This is what I don't understand. Americans are so patriotic, yet get shafted year in and year out from their country officials. They stole your gold, stole your freedoms, lied to you about many war crimes they've done, used excessive propaganda against it's people, allowed unhealthy food practices, pollution practices, etc. They can't even separate church and state which is horrible. Land of the free my butt.

They get away with these BS laws because the country is lazy. Power in numbers- fight the BS laws - support Non-GMO foods. Problem is too many are already brainwashed, and majority doesn't care. It's sad, but true.

The country owes you nothing. If anything, you owe it to the country to not let those in power ruin it for future generations like the last generation did for us.

'murica

yeah man, couldn't agree more.

I couldn't either..

Interestingly.. Obama feeds his family organic foods.. then promotes GMO foods with his legaslation. Then Michele Obama speaks out agains childhood obesity, when GMO foods are coorelated with disease/obesity/ etc..

Where's the labeling he promised? and all regualtions he promised.. absent.. he *lied*
    So the FDA uses a unique org chart that has the deputy commissioner a head of the commissioner?
    obviously not. still a huge conflict of interest. also done responding to you until you have something to actually say.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    -Michael Taylor
    -Roger Beachy
    -Tom Vilsack
    -Islam Siddiqui
    -Ramona Romero
    -Rajiv Shah

what are you even arguing? do you ever actually take a stance on anything or do you just like arguing about trivialities like semantics to get your giggles in?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    This is what I don't understand. Americans are so patriotic, yet get shafted year in and year out from their country officials. They stole your gold, stole your freedoms, lied to you about many war crimes they've done, used excessive propaganda against it's people, allowed unhealthy food practices, pollution practices, etc. They can't even separate church and state which is horrible. Land of the free my butt.

They get away with these BS laws because the country is lazy. Power in numbers- fight the BS laws - support Non-GMO foods. Problem is too many are already brainwashed, and majority doesn't care. It's sad, but true.

The country owes you nothing. If anything, you owe it to the country to not let those in power ruin it for future generations like the last generation did for us.

'murica

yeah man, couldn't agree more.

I couldn't either..

Interestingly.. Obama feeds his family organic foods.. then promotes GMO foods with his legaslation. Then Michele Obama speaks out agains childhood obesity, when GMO foods are coorelated with disease/obesity/ etc..

Where's the labeling he promised? and all regualtions he promised.. absent.. he *lied*

and you know the crazy thing? we're members of different political parties, ideologies, etc, and yet we both can agree on this.

lol who said there's no common ground?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    quote]Interestingly.. Obama feeds his family organic foods.. then promotes GMO foods with his legaslation. Then Michele Obama speaks out agains childhood obesity, when GMO foods are coorelated with disease/obesity/ etc..[/quote]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5SLdhGPAnsizMPDszBLvwxja9OyZltF6juY3tmERs1J1m7xAk

Of course, he's a politician

obviously not. still a huge conflict of interest. also done responding to you until you have something to actually say.

So basically that was made up about monsanto being the head of FDA
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    quote]Interestingly.. Obama feeds his family organic foods.. then promotes GMO foods with his legaslation. Then Michele Obama speaks out agains childhood obesity, when GMO foods are coorelated with disease/obesity/ etc..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5SLdhGPAnsizMPDszBLvwxja9OyZltF6juY3tmERs1J1m7xAk

Of course, he's a politician

So basically that was made up about monsanto being the head of FDA
    [/quote]
    yeah... it was better when you were on ignore. peace!
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am interested if someone has peer reviewed studies done on the effects of crop changes on diseases, where the author doesn't have a personal monetary stake in the publishing of the article/book.

That's one of the issues. These GMO seeds have not been certified safe because there are no independent completed studies to that effect. The other issue is Monsanto helped write this amendment, which of course benefits that corporation the most. It's not a secret that injecting pesticides and chemicals does a body bad. So why is it even remotely ok to inject these things into seeds?
    GMO is not the same as GE. GE = Genetically engineered, and is similar to cross breeding.. however we do not know what they *do* to this food when they perform GE on it. oh yea.. and soybeans are almost all GMO.. because they deregulated it, so the big corporation flooded the market with their GMO seeds so much so that non-GMO seeds were hard to come by. (If i have the wrong crop i apologize,)

Not to mention.. by removing our ability to pursue them in court if these seeds are the cause of medical conditions (which they will be, esp if you eat a lot of them) they have effectively removed our right to due process and violated the constitution. The stipulation that it's temporary means nothing.. it's a huge slippery slope and a terrible precedent.

The lady who said no one will do anything is wrong, there's already a petition out there with over 300,000 signatures on it. If you care about your rights as a citizen and your health and that of your children, you should sign it. If I can find the link i'll post it, but I have to get back to work..

So, that's part of my issue with saying they ARE the cause of disease when there's no unbiased evidence one way or the other. Saying that this will definitely lead to disease without the studies to back it up seems just as dangerous as the companies saying they definitely won't. Without research, we don't know.
    What my great grandfather did to grow wheat back when his plows were pulled by horses is light years different from what Monsanto does to other seed crops, but isn't all that different than the guys working our land today. So yeah, I have a personal interest in this beyond my health as someday I will have partial responsibility for what goes into and comes out of the ground in my little space on this world.

I totally agree with you that this bill is not in our best interests and the way it was passed through is dishonorable. Not surprising, though.

If I ingest a spoonful of pesticides I will get ill, If I ingest a few drops daily I may not get sick all at once, but I will harm my body over time. I don't need a study to tell me that pesticides and chemicals are bad for my health. It's common knowledge. If they find any other answer, then the researchers were bought by the corporations. How can you come to any other conclusion? Posions are not suddenly less poisious because they were injected into a seed and distrubed throughout the plant or because I ingest a small portion of them.. Just because I don't get violenlty ill at the smaller does, does not mean it does not harm my body *over time*. How many prematurely "FDA approved" medicines were found to be unsafe/harmful down the road. When will we learn?

As a side (and more food for thought) The FDA might approve or deem safe a certain percentage or amount of a substance that will cause no ill side affects that can be present in a given food source. What we the people don't think about is how many of those items do you eat each day. Example.. I eat a *ton* of veggies.. so if they say a certain percent of pesticides will not harm my body, per serving.. I have to multiply that by the number of servings I have of veggie each day (well beyond the 5 a day), effectively putting me well *over* the amount deemed "safe". This occurs more often then people realize. They do not base this off of how peopel actually eat, they base if off of what will profit them best and to hell with consumer health concerns.

I do note if a researcher has been "sponsored" by a particular company and how that skews the potential results. If Monsanto had a university do a study in exchange for a new building, yeah I would discount that. However, I am asking specifically for unbiased peer reviewed studies and there aren't any. Yes, everyone knows drinking roundup or draino is bad for you, no argument. I also agreed with you that there are a lot of worrisome things in actual GMOs that need to be investigated. I was also speaking specifically to wheat, which is not GMO'd and for which the process of cross breeding is centuries old. However, to blame any one particular food source for something without scientific evidence is dangerous. I think there should be studies and they should follow the scientific method.

I think we agree on more than you might think; I just want to see the proof. Like I said, I have a personal stake in this beyond my health.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Well polotics and nutrition should be seperate, eventhough they are not. Everything is polotical. Even our health. If governemnt even cared 1 iota about we the people, they would not allow pesticides to be injected into seeds an htey wouldn't strip us of our rights. It' not ok, I'm amazed that people are ok with being flat out lied to by the leader of our country. I'm amazed that people are ok with being told what to eat. I'm amazed that people don't see what is plainly in front fo their face.

Reminds me of the SEP feild in the book the hitchhiker guide to the galaxy.. As long as you don't look right at it it's "somebody else's problem" and you don't have to worry about it. I swear that's how people seem to think.

I don't care if you agree with me. But please don't ignore the problem and hope it goes away. Educate yourself and understnad it as well as you can and make a the choice to not support this if it's something you find appalling as I do. This is what we feed our children, they are the ones who will suffer any negative side effects of these foods, as they have even less choice in what they eat then adults do. They will be eating it longer and (hopefully(since kids need more food then adults)) in larger quantity then thier adult counterparts.

There are so many other issues surrounding this besides the nutrition angle, but this is a nutrion website so I'm trying to stay focused on that aspect here.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty tired of this so I'll leave it at this.

Yes - GMO are linked to bad things
    Yes - water has been linked to serial killers as all have admitted to drink it.
    No - proper study has been performed on GMO's

Yes - there is protection in the "Monsanto Protection Act"
    No - it does not protect them from liability

Yes - you will be able to still choose "Organic" or not
    Yes - it was overblown same as the last time it came up

No - the world did not end because of it

/THREAD
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's been shown that GMO wheat is the cause of gluten allergies and celliac (sp?) disease.. so yes.. let not even hold them liable for the harm they knowingly cause

Not to mention it takes away the power of the supreme court and the right for people to sue.

And clearly you know the risks, so by eating anything GMO you accept those risks. Looks like you've surrendered your ability to win a lawsuit even if you did have the right to file one.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    It's been shown that GMO wheat is the cause of gluten allergies and celliac (sp?) disease.. so yes.. let not even hold them liable for the harm they knowingly cause

Not to mention it takes away the power of the supreme court and the right for people to sue.

And clearly you know the risks, so by eating anything GMO you accept those risks. Looks like you've surrendered your ability to win a lawsuit even if you did have the right to file one.
    No quite.. since it's not label or disclosed that what I am getting has been subject to GMO.. nor is it "required" to be lableeld.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

LOL this is the WHOLE POINT

GMO foods aren't required to be labeled as such, so we DON'T know that we're eating GMOs and HAVE NOT accepted those risks!

oh, Americans...
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I think we should let half of the world's population starve to death. Really. There's just no need for the advances in agriculture that we've seen for the last several decades.
    All those nasty modified crops that survive on less water and fewer pesticides...ditch that crap. Let's go back to cyclical famine! Yea, that's be great.

Wrong. Yeah, that's what was promised, but the "modified" crops actually use more water, fertilizers etc. and much more negative impact on the environment and as a result, on all humans.

To the people who can't see their hand in front of their face and don't think that the taking control of the world's food supply by a handful of companies is a 'real issue"; time to wake up. Food/water security is pretty much the ONLY issue.<b> Being aware and doing what we can to support/boycott certain industries is something we can all do immediately with just a little bit of effort. Yeah, I know, that's just too "hard", and isn't the government protecting us? LMAO</b>

Edit: So how do you feel about your family starving to death? Oh, right, you probably just meant people in Africa and Asia. Yeah, they don't love their kids at all! The Green Revolution was bad, but do some research on what the WTO has been up to lately... they are making sure that previously self-sufficient third world countries are forced into slavery by growing cash crops and relying on food imports that are neither affordable, culturally appropriate, nor healthy. Yes, evil really exists. And most of us here in NA who are sitting in front of our tv, pumped full of pharmaceuticals and non food, don't have a clue and don't care and ridicule anyone who tries to point out the atrocities happening all around us.

It kind of IS too hard. There's just too much information, too much ambiguity, too many vested interests, too many overwhelming (and anxiety-provoking) phenomena for people to devote serious headspace to staying on top of things. So when we can bother, we turn to sources we trust, which we trust because they conform to our existing beliefs. When we don't have enough cognitive resources (because, jobs, families, etc), we settle on decisions that feel right (and they feel right because)...

I'm all for making choices easier. People recycle because it's easier now than it was 20 years ago. A guy comes to my door and takes my three bins away. All I have to do is put the right things in the right bin. And I get fined a buck for every miscategorized piece of garbage, so I took the time to figure out which were the right bins. And, I got a nice chart from the city to tell me what's what. That's thanks to the work of activists and (good) politicians and people having conversations.

So thanks, and carry on talking, to make things easy for me.

(all above really a bump)

(why don't my tags work?)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/science/earth/soaring-bee-deaths-in-2012-sound-alarm-on-malady.html?_r=1
    A mysterious malady that has been killing honeybees en masse for several years appears to have expanded drastically in the last year, commercial beekeepers say, wiping out 40 percent or even 50 percent of the hives needed to pollinate many of the nation’s fruits and vegetables. A conclusive explanation so far has escaped scientists studying the ailment, colony collapse disorder, since it first surfaced around 2005. But beekeepers and some researchers say there is growing evidence that a powerful new class of pesticides known as neonicotinoids, incorporated into the plants themselves, could be an important factor.

The work of GMOs - produce country-wide will start costing more and more because of these pesticides. And honey's going to be as rare as gold.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    The reason wheat isn't GMO is because it doesn't take well to it, not because they are worried about the health of the people. They were successful with GE, that does not mean they created something better, just something different, that is more hardy and more resistant to weather, pests, whatever. They do not care if it is better for the people they are feeding it to or if it has a negative impact on the environment as long as it makes them money.

It is very hard to separate the truth from the lies. But when I hear "injecting pesticides into the seeds of the plants" how can anyone think it's ok just because the government says so? or hasn't said otherwise. It doesn't' take a lot of smarts to know injecting pesticides or herbicides is bad. It's why we wash our food prior to eating it.

The whole Darwinian thing, of taking genes from one plant and combining them with another isn't as bad, although I do not think we should be messing with nature's design. The crux of this is how do you know if they combined it with something that is harmful or with pesticides as well? When you see GMO on a label (not that you do.. but you do nee non-GMO on labels or ingredient lists occasionally) how do you know what they did to it? I'm not gonna stand in the store googling everything. I'm just not going to buy it.
  • JustEsh
    JustEsh Posts: 2
    Options
    bump
  • karelisabit
    Options
    If you are to lazy to look it up or don't know where to look:

http://gmo-awareness.com/all-about-gmos/gmo-fda/

"Roger Beachy, former director of the Monsanto-funded Danforth Plant Science Center, is the director of the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture.
    Islam Siddiqui, Vice President of the Monsanto and Dupont-funded pesticide-promoting lobbying group, CropLife, is the Agriculture Negotiator for the US Trade Representative.
    Rajiv Shah, former agricultural-development director for the pro-biotech Gates Foundation (a frequent Monsanto partner), served as Obama’s USDA Under Secretary for Research Education and Economics and Chief Scientist and is currently the head of USAID.
    Elena Kagan, who took Monsanto’s side against organic farmers in the Roundup Ready alfalfa case, is an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.
    Ramona Romero, former corporate counsel to DuPont, is the General Legal Counsel of the United States Department of Agriculture."

Tumors in rats:
    http://www.ijbs.com/v05p0706.htm

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/pdf/GM_food_nightmare.pdf

Terminator seeds
    http://www.ethicalinvesting.com/monsanto/terminator.shtml

I'm writing for my speech class. This is the topic that was given to me.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Anytime I see the words Monsanto or GMO I feel like I'm going to morph into a 100ft rabid monster.

Monsanto is one of the most evil companies in the world, & GMOs are disgusting for billions of reasons I won't get into.
    Some people think I'm jumping on a fad bandwagon, when I've been continuously learning about this stuff going on 7 years now. I came across all this when I was trying to be more healthy, and what a world of difference my health is in now. GMOs etc are a HUGE reason why I decided to continue learning more about health & nutrition & make a career out of it. No, the world might not end because of it, but thousands & millions get diseased & sick & that's important enough to me to get in a hissy fit about it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat locally, local is the new organic! Many local farms practice organic farming but do not advertise as organic because they do not want to pay for the certifications. Talk to your local farmers! Learn about their practices, put a face to your food! You have a much higher chance of avoiding GM seeds by supporting your local farmers, and you are more likely to recieve higher levels of nutrition. You also cut thousands of transportation miles from the farm to your plate, which reduces the carbon footprint of your eating habits (for those of us that care). Farmers markets and CSA's are there for you to take advantage of and allow you to "vote with your dollars". We can all complain about Monsanto and talk about how evil the corporation is but in reality, most of us are supporting their practices by shopping at the grocery store!

Exactly!!!