My lady bulking memoir (pic heavy)

Options
Mutant13
Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
Hi guys.

A little bit of background info first. When I decided to do a 12 week bulk I'd been lifting for around 5 months and eating a small deficit and had successfully dropped body fat and started to see some muscle definition. I was happy but felt like I wasn't satisfied with the pre existing muscle that had been hiding under my skinny fat, I wanted to build up some more, particularly in my glutes and legs as I had always been very straight up and down in that area. So I decided to attempt a bulk.

Part of the reason I decided to write this is I was able to find very little information about bulking for women online, particularly women discussing their personal experiences, I wanted to know how you felt, how my body would change, how much I needed to eat, what sort of muscular gains I could expect. And I really wanted to see a visual representation of that.

So I've decided to share a few photos from my experience and some notes on what the whole thing was like for me. I didn't exactly take regular photos but I have mostly incidental pictures, but hopefully they will be helpful.

I also want to express that I am most definitely a novice in the world of lifting and building and I still have a long, long way to go. However I still feel that I have something to share. I'd also love to see anyone else with bulking experience post here.

This is me pre bulk, after lifting and eating a deficit for 5 months

B4CE579B-5264-4262-8158-7A478986DCA2-1514-0000014C233B741B_zpsd798d625.jpg

EAA3E3E0-03A2-4CC8-A459-19EB7ED75038-1514-0000014C1D7EE0BA_zps90976ee8.jpg

As you can see, I had pretty drainpipey legs and a flat but. However I also had an (almost) flat stomach for the first time in my life. I knew this was something that was going to be sacrificed in the short term with bulking.

71960B6A-1D93-4E7E-8886-070E41537C04-1514-00000153866161B7_zpsd84da3b9.jpg

This is about the half way point. I had some very obvious quad and glute growth, and my lifts had improved a lot. I added about 10kg to my deadlift and 8kg to my squat. My isolations had also improved
As a downside there were some obvious fat gains to my stomach and a little in my upper arms

12074569-761F-4A37-B971-DE0D4EE99B0C-1514-0000014C178E0AB9_zps8c862d62.jpg

This is from a few days ago. I feel like there is a little more glute and leg development again here. I think this picture also shows the growth in my lats somewhat.
Again you can see there is quite a bit more flab around my stomach and arms, I do feel like there has been significant muscle improvement under the fat though.

Anyway that's a little peek at how I went with my bulk, by the end id added around 15kg to my deadlift and about 12kg to my squat. I don't really want to state an exact figure for my lbm gain or fat percentage as I feel like any inaccuracy might be misleading, but I feel like the pictures give a good indication. Yes I gained fat, I also gained muscle and strength, yes I got bloated and felt "heavy" and slow some days, yes it was hard to eat >2000 cal a day somedays (some days it wasn't)

All in all it was worth it. I am now embarking on a cut at will share those results here too. I plan to repeat the cycle again until I get the gains I want. Again, anyone else with bulking experience- I'd love to see you post here, also any questions and advice are both welcome.

I'm going to stop typing now. Thank god.

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Looking great!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Nice progress. How much body mass did you add over the course of the bulk?
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Johnnythan, the official number from my gym was a 4kg lbm gain. However at I guess I'd say that maybe means 1-1.5 kg of muscle at the most. It's a very tricky thing to estimate
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Johnnythan, the official number from my gym was a 4kg lbm gain. However at I guess I'd say that maybe means 1-1.5 kg of muscle at the most. It's a very tricky thing to estimate

Nice. I think you're being conservative on how much of that is muscle mass. You'll see the difference big time when you get back to the pre-bulk weight.
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is helpful. You look great. Did you also follow a particular diet? Did you just make sure to get adequate protein and eat what you want, or did you cut out processed foods, etc?
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! I'm glad you're sharing your experiences because I'm interested in this as well for my fitness goals. Why do you think there's a fat gain though? That seems odd.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The improvement in your glute/ham area is fantastic! Are you starting your cut right now?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Wow, a great job! You can really see the difference in your legs/glutes - you must be pleased with the way things are going?

How long are you going to cut for before you bulk again? I just came off a 12 week-ish bulk, but I kinda used it as an excuse to eat whatever, whenever and ended up mostly bulking my love handles! I'm going to cut for 8 weeks (I'm about 4/5 weeks in now) and then try to bulk for 12 weeks again with more discipline (and hopefully I'll see some better results this time).
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Definitely doing things the right way. I'm focusing more on cardio than heavy lifting at the moment just to cut fat, but once I get trimmed down this is exactly the cycle I plan to get on. Lift for mass and add muscle (and fat) by eating more than I burn, then cutting up, then repeating.

Great job so far!
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Thanks, this is helpful. You look great. Did you also follow a particular diet? Did you just make sure to get adequate protein and eat what you want, or did you cut out processed foods, etc?

I just ate a moderate surplus and met my macros. Plenty of fat and protein. I generally try not to eat too much processed food anyway, but I am not a strict "clean" eater or anything like that
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!

^^^^ this

where is the obvious stomach fat gains whereof you speak? I don't see it...

I'm planning doing a proper bulk in the future, not sure when exactly. But soon. (Currently doing a slow cut)
  • Mutant13
    Options
    You look wonderful! I'm glad you're sharing your experiences because I'm interested in this as well for my fitness goals. Why do you think there's a fat gain though? That seems odd.

Caliper test is showing a moderate fat gain and I can feel a small layer over the muscle. It's too be expected, gaining strictly muscle and no fat just isn't going to happen, particularly for women IMO
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    wow.

not pic heavy enough for my liking!:smile:
  • Mutant13
    Options
    The improvement in your glute/ham area is fantastic! Are you starting your cut right now?

Thankyou! And ill probably be eating around maintenance for a week or so as I'm off to Bali, but then I will be cutting
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Wow, a great job! You can really see the difference in your legs/glutes - you must be pleased with the way things are going?

How long are you going to cut for before you bulk again? I just came off a 12 week-ish bulk, but I kinda used it as an excuse to eat whatever, whenever and ended up mostly bulking my love handles! I'm going to cut for 8 weeks (I'm about 4/5 weeks in now) and then try to bulk for 12 weeks again with more discipline (and hopefully I'll see some better results this time).

I am pretty happy considering my lack of bulking experience and it's been quite a learning curve! I plan to cut for around 8 weeks or until I'm back to 17-18% bf
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your feedback. It's great to see other people who are/considering a bulk. I hope this post is a way to show that it is effective for both men and women! I think bulking can be a bit of a scary concept for some
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I'd also like to see more pictures!!

I think this is key and what a lot of women don't understand:
    I wasn't satisfied with the pre existing muscle that had been hiding under my skinny fat, I wanted to build up some more, particularly in my glutes and legs as I had always been very straight up and down in that area.

They keep trying to cut body fat to get definition but what they need first is bigger muscles. They want a rounder booty but don't realize you have to make it GROW to make it rounder. I did a bulk last year and also had some great results. Women need to stop being scared of seeing the number on the scale go up.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    What do you do during your cutting phase?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I am pretty happy considering my lack of bulking experience and it's been quite a learning curve! I plan to cut for around 8 weeks or until I'm back to 17-18% bf

Sounds like you've got your head screwed on! Hope the cut goes well (it's a hard transition to start with after bulking)...