My lady bulking memoir (pic heavy)

Options

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I'd also like to see more pictures!!

I think this is key and what a lot of women don't understand:
    I wasn't satisfied with the pre existing muscle that had been hiding under my skinny fat, I wanted to build up some more, particularly in my glutes and legs as I had always been very straight up and down in that area.

They keep trying to cut body fat to get definition but what they need first is bigger muscles. They want a rounder booty but don't realize you have to make it GROW to make it rounder. I did a bulk last year and also had some great results. Women need to stop being scared of seeing the number on the scale go up.

So true, I ignore the scale completely these days. Outside of those needing to lose a very large amount of mass scale weight is irrelevant
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    How much of a calorie surplus did you have??

I'm in a cutting phase atm but then plan to then eat at a surplus and focus on muscle growth but wasn't sure how much to eat over maintenance.... I was thinking 200 calories?

Were you still doing cardio to keep your fitness up? As long as you were eating back those calories to reach your calorie goal? I don't want to stop cardio when I go through my "bulking" phase
  • Mutant13
    Options
    What do you do during your cutting phase?

I eat a small deficit (around 200-300 cal under maintenance) and continue to lift heavy. I still don't really do structured cardio. It doesn't hurt but it isn't necessary in my opinion. I do walk quite a bit though, and am generally active.

I keep my fat and protein quite high and being my carb intake down a bit (not really "low carb" however)
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think you look AMAZING!!! Built AND beautiful, can't go wrong there! :flowerforyou:
  • Mutant13
    Options

I'm in a cutting phase atm but then plan to then eat at a surplus and focus on muscle growth but wasn't sure how much to eat over maintenance.... I was thinking 200 calories?

Were you still doing cardio to keep your fitness up? As long as you were eating back those calories to reach your calorie goal? I don't want to stop cardio when I go through my "bulking" phase

I are between 2000-2200 cals a day which 200-400 over maintenance for me.

If you want to continue to do cardio for heart health/enjoyment etc I don't see why it would be a problem provided you're maintaining a surplus. It will probably help keep your appetite up
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, AND still have a flat tummy! Great job!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    You look exceptional. Nice Job!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

If you want to continue to do cardio for heart health/enjoyment etc I don't see why it would be a problem provided you're maintaining a surplus. It will probably help keep your appetite up
    Lyle Mcdonald explains [quite well] the pros and cons of doing cardio during a bulk. It's my opinion, as well as his, that it can be beneficial in terms of recovery, appetite, maintaining conditioning, and keeping fat burning pathways open.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/cardio-and-mass-gains.html
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Smokin' at the beginning.
    Sizzlin' at the end.

Be proud. Great work!
  • Mutant13
    Options

Lyle Mcdonald explains [quite well] the pros and cons of doing cardio during a bulk. It's my opinion, as well as his, that it can be beneficial in terms of recovery, appetite, maintaining conditioning, and keeping fat burning pathways open.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/cardio-and-mass-gains.html

Some great points. I would never discourage anyone from doing cardio, I just didn't do it myself,
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I only do it in limited capacity as well during a bulk - It's usually just 15 minute interval sprints outdoors. I did forget to mention that you looked phenominal, btw.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    YES!!!
  • Mutant13
    Options
    I only do it in limited capacity as well during a bulk - It's usually just 15 minute interval sprints outdoors. I did forget to mention that you looked phenominal, btw.

Thankyou! :)
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Great job, pretty rare to see the results of a woman bulking but it looks like it did great things for you. You can definitely tell there is a bit more size in your quads and glutes. You will notice even more once you cut and get rid of that small amount of fat you added.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It's fantastic that you shared this! You look great and I love that you are helping others by documenting it. Good luck with the cut too. I'm looking forward to seeing your update!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    SO glad you posted this! I was just talking today about how I didn't understand bulking/cutting for females and I was trying to get some advice from my mfp friends. I would absolutely love to see what you look like after your cut.

Did you ever get discouraged gaining weight, even though you know you were gaining muscle as well? That's my biggest worry. I am too self-conscious as it is and I'm concerned I would fail at bulking because I wouldn't be able to handle the extra weight gain.

Thanks for sharing!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You look great. I can really see you have a more curvy butt now, and your stomach still looks really flat to me :)
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Thankyou both :)

I will definetly update the cut on here as I progress through it, and if others are interested I will document the next bulk cycle too
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    Get the book New rules for women lifting. It is great!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    1. You look fantastic in all of those pics! (I agree with Crankstr, post more of them)

2. This was incredibly helpful to me just now.