My lady bulking memoir (pic heavy)

Options

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    SO glad you posted this! I was just talking today about how I didn't understand bulking/cutting for females and I was trying to get some advice from my mfp friends. I would absolutely love to see what you look like after your cut.

Did you ever get discouraged gaining weight, even though you know you were gaining muscle as well? That's my biggest worry. I am too self-conscious as it is and I'm concerned I would fail at bulking because I wouldn't be able to handle the extra weight gain.

Thanks for sharing!

I won't lie to you, I definetly had days when I was like "screw this, I'm just getting fat etc, etc" bloating played a part in that and it's not easy to always be objective. It is really important to make that decision and commit fully. One thing that really helped me was the strength gains, because they can't really be denied. Even on the worst days you could think "worst case scenario, I've made no muscle gains, all the weight is fat and Ill need to cut it all again, but I've undeniably gotten stronger"

Obviously that wasn't actually the case, but everyone gets those negative days
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Get the book New rules for women lifting. It is great!

I have read NROLFW it is an excellent resource
  • Mutant13
    Options
    1. You look fantastic in all of those pics! (I agree with Crankstr, post more of them)

2. This was incredibly helpful to me just now.

Thankyou, and it is wonderful to know my post has helped you :)

I will definetly dig up/ take more photos to share!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost 25lbs, passed my goal weight, and still wasn't happy. I knew that heavy lifting was a good thing, and I had played around with machines before without much progress. I decided to get my head straight and get where I wanted to go. I am on the third week of my bulk and StrongLifts5x5. I am currently eating a lowish estimate of my TDEE: 2170, + a free protein shake on lifting days (140 cals). I am aiming for a 1lb gain a week, so if I don't hit it this week I will estimate how much I need to add. I gained 1.1lbs the first week, then 0.8lbs the second. I probably need to bump, because I have also stalled on some of my lifts already.

I'm not happy with the way my stomach looks, but loving how my arms and shoulders look. After the 12 weeks are up, I will try to cut 1lb a week for 14 weeks. Then I will reassess, but probably do at least one more cycle before I maintain. I will have to remember to post my pics too, this was great!

Feel free to friend :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    You look great! I lift heavy, but am still working with dumbbells. Haven't really educated myself on bulking and cutting, but this was very informative. I would love for you to followup on the next part.
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Hi! I lost 25lbs, passed my goal weight, and still wasn't happy. I knew that heavy lifting was a good thing, and I had played around with machines before without much progress. I decided to get my head straight and get where I wanted to go. I am on the third week of my bulk and StrongLifts5x5. I am currently eating a lowish estimate of my TDEE: 2170, + a free protein shake on lifting days (140 cals). I am aiming for a 1lb gain a week, so if I don't hit it this week I will estimate how much I need to add. I gained 1.1lbs the first week, then 0.8lbs the second. I probably need to bump, because I have also stalled on some of my lifts already.

I'm not happy with the way my stomach looks, but loving how my arms and shoulders look. After the 12 weeks are up, I will try to cut 1lb a week for 14 weeks. Then I will reassess, but probably do at least one more cycle before I maintain. I will have to remember to post my pics too, this was great!

Feel free to friend :)

It sounds like you are making some great progress, looking forward to your photos!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. You are looking awesome, I am sure the boys are appreciating the new curves!
    I am seeing that my body (when I lose the last few) will have a very similar shape. I have slim legs and no butt. I know that once I hit goal I am going to want to do some heavy shaping. Would you mind if I asked your weight stats before and after? I am trying to decide what a good "ripped" weight would be for me at 5'6.

Thanks, Steph
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Fair play for putting up this thread, most women would balk at the idea of a bulk but you managed it well and were very successful. congrats.
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Thanks for this. You are looking awesome, I am sure the boys are appreciating the new curves!
    I am seeing that my body (when I lose the last few) will have a very similar shape. I have slim legs and no butt. I know that once I hit goal I am going to want to do some heavy shaping. Would you mind if I asked your weight stats before and after? I am trying to decide what a good "ripped" weight would be for me at 5'6.

Thanks, Steph

Hi Steph! I'm happy to give you my weight stats. I am 5"8. My pre bulk weight was 58kg, post bulk was 63 ish
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Seriously great job, great post, very inspirational and more or less what I'm aiming for too! Now wash that sink! ;)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Bump for looking at later...I can't see images at work. :cry:
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Sink washing detracts from Internet/eating time
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Sink washing detracts from Internet/eating time
    ^agree. I hear ya!

You are looking great. Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou: Great info for women.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Thanks, Steph

Hi Steph! I'm happy to give you my weight stats. I am 5"8. My pre bulk weight was 58kg, post bulk was 63 ish

That's so great, thank you, because I was hoping to get to 135lbs and then work on the body recomp rather than killing myself to get down to 127. I'd love to look like you!
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I think you look AMAZING!!! Built AND beautiful, can't go wrong there! :flowerforyou:

And hilarious too! One of the funniest people on MFP. Glad you're on my FL chickie... I am totally sticking by your side in case of a zombie apocalypse! You kick some mean zombie *kitten*! :laugh:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Looking fab.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    You look great!!

ETA: typo
  • abrewer563
    abrewer563 Posts: 122
    Options
    You look awesome!!
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Damn, girl - you look FABULOUS.

I've been playing with the idea of doing a bulk phase right now myself - I'm trying to build some serious glutes as well (flat *kitten* here) and progress with my lifts. I've stalled out for a few weeks and it's making me nuts. I've been eating roughly at TDEE for a while, so maybe if I increase my calories I can get past the plateau. I'm going to send you a FR because I'd love to watch how your bulk/cut/lifting goes! :D

- Lucy