Anyone Else Who Can't Stand the "Taste" of Water?

Options

Replies

• nicole_andan
    Options
    Funny.

How do all of you water haters get around?

I mean breathing air must be an equally grueling chore.

Funny.

How do you get anyone to look at you without wanting to whack you upside the head?

Stop being such a jerk. It doesn't make you look cool, it doesn't make you look funny. It just makes you look like a douche.

LOL! Tell 'em!
  • linda0372
    linda0372 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    try adding crystal light; it only has 5 calories.
  • CBeland2013
    Options
    I am right there with you. Drinking water became a chore that was never fully completed. I can't STAND the taste of water, especially bottled water. The last couple of months, I've been making fruit infused water and I LOVE it. I drink my daily amount every day, sometimes more. :D
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Well, in all fairness, water does have different tastes. Otherwise there wouldn't be articles on the "best" bottled water. Also if anyone's ever lived near the ocean, as well as other places, they can tell you water can have different tastes. I just seem to not like any of them.
    You're not supposed to drink saltwater.
    mmmmm salty salty
  • barbiegirl052
    Options
    I hate water! It's horrible. I totally agree with you. I only drink it at the gym for rehydration but I can't stand it! I tend to tint the taste of mine with no added sugar squash!

Everyone might think you're crazy - and me too now - but I am right there with you. WATER IS HORRIBLE!!

Ax

Are you perhaps getting it from the toilet?

Lmao... i love water soo im not sure what her issue is
  • justkiesh
    justkiesh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking I only like the taste of spring water and SOME purified water. Distilled (ie Aquafina YUCK) and tap water in my area tastes gross. Sometimes we have to "train" our taste buds to go from desiring unhealthy stuff (sugar, salt, etc) to wanting stuff that is better for us, ie water and vegetables.
  • barbiegirl052
    Options
    you are NOT crazy. It does have a taste of sorts. Take dasani bottled water~I would rather be thirsty, stuff is yucky. We live on a farm with a very high iron content in our water~you can taste it~even in tea. So we use bottled water to drink until we can afford an iron buster. (Our last farm house had the best well water ever) The water in the cooler at work tastes off to me, but I can drink it. So find a source you can live with and try and get in your 8 cups a day. It is that important. Add me as a friend ~it seems I might be crazy too :)

Oh google disani water coca cola admitted that disani water is just tap water shame on them!
  • barbiegirl052
    Options
    you are NOT crazy. It does have a taste of sorts. Take dasani bottled water~I would rather be thirsty, stuff is yucky. We live on a farm with a very high iron content in our water~you can taste it~even in tea. So we use bottled water to drink until we can afford an iron buster. (Our last farm house had the best well water ever) The water in the cooler at work tastes off to me, but I can drink it. So find a source you can live with and try and get in your 8 cups a day. It is that important. Add me as a friend ~it seems I might be crazy too :)

Oh google disani water coca cola admitted that disani water is just tap water shame on them!

If by "admitted", you mean "properly labeled on every bottle." What do you mean shame on them? Purifying tap water is a lot more environmentally sound than trucking in "spring" water.

Like i said educate yourself sweety GOOGLE its free http://www.naturalnews.com/001028_soft_drinks_Coca-Cola.html
  • got2bu
    got2bu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love water and it's taste or tastelessness. BUT I have tasted Nasty water before. In fact it is the only water source I have ever disliked. Lubbock Texas has the nastiest tasting water on planet Earth!! It is the only water I have ever tasted that has a 'taste'. ANd unfortunately that taste is Horrid!
  • MyLifeis4Me
    Options
    My point. Some of the things you state could be argued, and they are on these forums frequently & passionately. But when you say "And because you've only just started recently, you have a lot to learn" smack of a fitness snob who thinks he knows it all. I've been maintaining for 30 yrs and I am constantly learning & growing in what I know. It changes as the scientists & doctors learn more. State your opinion, post your links & observations. But if you want to be heard, don't talk down to people.

Can you not see how putting artificial sweetener in every single thing you drink for your entire life would seem ridiculous to someone who doesn't?

I suppose it did sound like I was being a "fitness snob." But that's simply because the OP's "I can't stand water," quote is just so annoying. Nobody is born genetically not liking any kind of filtered or bottled water. Anyone who is remotely motivated can drink a glass of water once or twice a day eventually get used to drinking water. When people say they don't like water, what they're really saying is they just haven't actually bothered to get used to drinking non-sweetened beverages. Furthermore,I really don't see how anyone who exercises regularly can avoid drinking any kind of water.

Hello, well hasn't this post become interesting! As a non-water drinker who exercises at least 4 times a week I just wanted to explain a few things so that you don't have to make the kind of assumptions you are making.
    1st no one is born drinking water they drink breast milk, babies in some countries are then given water and some grow to like it and some don't. In many countries babies are never given water because healthy drinking water is not available to them. That is why through history humans have found alternatives to water. Distilling and fermenting to create a safer way to drink and god bless them throughout that process they created alcohol!!!!
    Second, the assumption that I don't drink water because I wasn't given water as an option growing up is quite frankly offensive and my Mother would be VERY upset with you! As a child and adult many attempts were made and continue to be have made to force me to drink water as well as to eat fish and peas... As the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water!!!" Yes you can call me Mr Ed!!!
    Thirdly, adding things to water does not have to be artificial sweetener! There are lots of alternatives to squash and cordial including as previously mentioned a squeeze of lemon, mint, some orange rind, if it's fresh it's not artificial is it?
    As a final point, the assumption that because I'm @ the beginning of my journey I don't have a good understanding of nutrition is silly... I have a fantastic understanding of weightloss and how it works, I am absolutely capable of reading articles that explain the negative impact of artificial sweeteners and it's impact on craving, the potential of it increasing diabetes etc I am also capable of reading articles about hydration in the same way you are. I have researched what will work for me within the remit of my personal tastes and I will work around that. I certainly do not need to be preached at! My issues with weight have never been about how hydrated I am but far more to do with how much I like maltesers, cheese, bread and my husband's home made ghanaian dishes!

Advice is always welcome as none of us can claim to know everything but a bit of humility never hurts!

Having said my piece I am off to enjoy what is left of a sunny Good Friday in the UK. I hope you all have a fantastic, healthy and well hydrated day!!!! Xx

Best line above : "Advice is always welcome as none of us can claim to know everything but a bit of humility never hurts!" What 5ft was trying to say too.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Like i said educate yourself sweety GOOGLE its free http://www.naturalnews.com/001028_soft_drinks_Coca-Cola.html

So ten years ago one of dasani's UK factories messed up and had to recall a product? That's quite a bit different than Dasani being tap water. It might be a reason to avoid the brand Dasani, but it is hardly reflects on bottled water in general.
  • Cherylllyn
    Cherylllyn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding something like Crystal Light or Mio water flavors to your water? Might help you get it down.
  • celtic0ne
    celtic0ne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Get you some Mio. It adds flavor to your boring water!

I get so sick of just water sometimes so i add that and wahla!

^^ That! I love the stuff :)
  • mikurulove10
    Options
    Nahh, I totally empathize with you!
    I don't like the taste either. Thank god, I thought I was crazy.
    But they do make water enhancers like MiO, but they also have Great Value brand that's like a buck cheaper. It only lasts me about 4-5 days, so be sure to buy about 4-5 to last a month.
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Water has no taste--but some people don't like that, and it's their right to declare their preferences.

On a more constructive note, some people make "fruit water" by infusing water with a few berries, or cucumber slices, mint, lemon, lime slices, etc. (or you can do combinations). It will have almost no added calories but will have some flavor--perhaps it will be more potable that way to those of you who struggle with it.

Thank you for a constructive comment - it is much appreciated. It amazes me how many people see everything in black and white, for example, water is tasteless, fullstop, end of subject. But isn't that just an opinion. We are all different: we have different attitudes; we like different things; we like different foods; some like savoury and some like sweet; some like spicy/hot and others like mild. So isn't it possible that some people will taste something in water that the next person won't. And why should the person that notices an unpleasant taste in water be admonished for not wanting to drink copious amounts of the stuff. It's no different to preferring Non-fat milk over Full cream milk; Coca Cola over Pepsi; Diet Coke over Coca Cola. We are all different - that's what makes life so interesting and exciting.

Chill peeps, chill.
  • lildebbie121
    lildebbie121 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Water has no taste--but some people don't like that, and it's their right to declare their preferences.

On a more constructive note, some people make "fruit water" by infusing water with a few berries, or cucumber slices, mint, lemon, lime slices, etc. (or you can do combinations). It will have almost no added calories but will have some flavor--perhaps it will be more potable that way to those of you who struggle with it.

Thank you for a constructive comment - it is much appreciated. It amazes me how many people see everything in black and white, for example, water is tasteless, fullstop, end of subject. But isn't that just an opinion. We are all different: we have different attitudes; we like different things; we like different foods; some like savoury and some like sweet; some like spicy/hot and others like mild. So isn't it possible that some people will taste something in water that the next person won't. And why should the person that notices an unpleasant taste in water be admonished for not wanting to drink copious amounts of the stuff. It's no different to preferring Non-fat milk over Full cream milk; Coca Cola over Pepsi; Diet Coke over Coca Cola. We are all different - that's what makes life so interesting and exciting.

Chill peeps, chill.

Wow! Thank you for posting this. I am new here and after reading several rude posts, I didn't think I would ever want to post here.

There are differences between city water, bottled water and well water. When I lived in the city I used lemon to mask the chlorine taste. I sometimes use mint, cucumber or tangerine to flavor my water. I have no problem drinking it plain now since we have well water.
  • soundasleepx
    Options
    I really don't like water. Everyone else tells me that it "has no taste" but to me, it definitely does, and that taste is awful. Depending on where I am I can tolerate it - some people's tap water tastes marginally nicer than the water from my house, but even then I never ever find it pleasant. I also find that because I don't like the taste, I don't feel as though my thirst has been quenched. Obviously in my head, I know. But I agree, to some people, water is horrid.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Well, still don't like the taste of water, but after the "encouragement" of the positive posters, decided to drink a cup of water every time before I fill my glass w/ice tea. So where I used to only drink 2 C of water/day & at least 6C of ice tea...now I probably drink 5C of water a day & about 4 1/2 C of ice tea. So I'm working on it.
  • mamamia05
    mamamia05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Adding a few slices of lemon and some fresh mint to water with some crushed ice works for me...I know friends who put all different kinds of fruit from apple's to orange slices, even berries. Experiment. Wish you all the best :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am not fond of it. But it is no longer super yuck, it's just "eh, ok"
    I drink it because I should.
    I prefer bubbly or slightly flavored varieties.
    I hate it first thing in the morning before I have brushed my teeth. It taste like drinking "morning breath"