Your most humiliating "fat" experience.

Options

Replies

• rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    As a guy you don't hear it nearly as much, but this to me is the worst of all. "I've gotten the run faster fat *kitten*!" before, and that one to me just sucks. You are working to make yourself better and people are going to attack you? That's just sick. I don't care how morbidly obese the person is, if they are at the gym, they should be applauded.

You're kicking *kitten*, and you can only make yourself better than you were the day before, there is nothing we can do about the ice cream we ate 10 years ago!

This is why I work out in privacy in my basement--I am terrified of this exact thing! It is terrible. And why on earth would you want to attack a complete stranger who has done nothing to you? People can be monsters.
  • CathyFinch
    CathyFinch Posts: 10
    Options
    I work at a martial arts school. When your job is physical, there comes a point where your body doesn't respond to that work in terms of weight loss. I hadn't been working out in the AM, was eating poorly and had gained a lot of weight.

Someone came to me and said, "Someone asked me if you are pregnant."

I nearly died.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    after waiting in a very long line, not being able to get on an amusement park ride with my daughter and her being upset over it.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    5th grade. We had a social humiliation amplification ritual called "scoliosis testing". We all had to stand in a line with our shirts off, put our hands together when we got to the nurse, and bend over so she could see if we had scoliosis. Two kids ahead of me was the only dude in the 5th grade sporting a six pack.

I had moved to the USA from Canada the year before, and was introduced to school lunches bought at school instead of brown bagging it. I went from fit and active to being the foreign fat kid.
  • Kristen_nicole95
    Kristen_nicole95 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump, going to work ill reply later
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    First off, put your bathing suit on. You are beautiful no matter what! My worst experience came at a family gathering where my 3 older sisters were talking to the waitress and I ordered a salad. They are all thin and were eating hamburgers or something. Well, anyway, one of them told the waitress, loudly, that I was the "fluffy" younger sister and couldn't enjoy what they were eating and I had some work to do before I ever looked like them again. Insulting YES! However, it shows somebody's true character when they make comments like that.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    im confused as to why you would marry someone who is that rude and demeaning?
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    growing up my dad always called me fat boy... looking back I was not really that fat... a little overweight but nothing to major... but I got used to being the fat boy... it was just who I was... when I was in my 20's he apologized (un prompted on my part) about it and I am good with that... but I look back at it and think it was what made me what I was...

I am with you here. I am tall for a woman (5'10.5") and I was always "the big girl" while all my female relatives were relatively petite. I think I lived into that picture everyone had of "the big girl". It took me an extremely long time to realize the only definition of me that matters is mine. What's crazy is I look back and I wasn't even that fat. Kind of chubby, but definitely not massively obese person like I thought I was.

I think the worst was freshman year of high school when I had this huge crush on a guy named Mike who was a senior. My friend and I found his phone number and called him. He didn't know me, but was all happy to talk to me on the phone and seemed to be into me. Later that night or the next day he and his friend said they would stop over to meet me. When he saw me, he and his friend seemed disgusted. They left after about 10 minutes. If that had been the end of it, it wouldn't have been so bad.

When we went back to school, he and his friends would see me in the hallways and would bark, moo, physically shove me into lockers from behind, push my books out of my arms, trip me, you name it. All I did was think he was cute and call him once. I didn't tell anyone because I thought it was my fault for being fat an unattractive. I had to alter my routes through the hallways because it was so bad (and our school was not big).

I saw that he was friends with one of my friends on Facebook and he had a picture of him and his wife. At first I thought it was a picture of him and his brother, because she was a bit...um...masculine. No, I'm laughing at something else...really...
  • fatbottomgal31
    fatbottomgal31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Trying to get inside a tube at a water park so I could go down the slide with my daughter. It was such a struggle to shove myself in there it was SNL worthy. That was after losing almost 50 pounds. It keeps me focused on losing the rest. Keeps me focused on the beauty of health and the things I want to be doing.
  • HealthierFoodie
    HealthierFoodie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can lose weight, you can't fix stupid. :laugh:

^ this!
  • insanio30
    insanio30 Posts: 5
    Options
    My biggest humiliation was when I was with my high school sweet heart and his sister just got a piece of junk car and the shocks in the back were shot. She actually announced in front of everyone that I HAVE to sit in the middle of the back seat so it wouldn't weigh down one side or the other.
  • nmiller0813
    nmiller0813 Posts: 109
    Options
    Your husband is rude...ARGH. I have been heavy all of my adult life, but if anyone EVER said anything remotely close to what your husband said....they would get a swift kick in the A**.

My humilating moment came when I want into a store and the lady that worked there said.. we don't have anything in your size. In front of several people. I was mortified. Only problem is, that I was not shopping for myself in that store. And, I let her know. she lost a sale and walked out.
  • DottieLoo
    DottieLoo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My best friend, who is a tall, big boned girl to begin with, gained a lot of weight after having kids. She started noticing that her husband wasn't taking an interest in her (if you know what I mean). One day she asked him point blank "Why?" He had the audacity to tell her she was fat and all the weight disgusted him. I couldn't believe he said that to her! I yelled at him & told him that's something you NEVER say to someone, ESPECIALLY to a spouse, g/f, b/f, significant other. I advised him he'd have been better off telling her that he has erectile dysfunction.

I went clothes shopping one day. I was browsing through the isles, going from rack to rack. Thinking to myself "oh, that's cute", "hmmm...wonder if that would fit." I started finding an area that had some really cute clothes and they looked like they might fit. I looked up the sign above my head - MATERNITY SECTION!! Grrrrrr.... It was a pretty big blow, but it was also an inspiration. My attitude became - I DON NOT WEAR THAT SIZE!! :noway:

BTW my friend is now divorced.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Whenever I gain weight, my mom always says "WOW, you sure are gaining weight" (mostly in my younger years when I was bigger). To this day, I always insist on her not getting me clothes because she always says, "what size should I get you? XL? 12 jeans." Even when I was in shape she'd say this.

When I was 14 and a size 3 my Mom would always tell me what I wore didn't look good if I wore a form fitting top, or that I needed a bigger size. Even though I wasn't fat, that's how I have seen myself ever since.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend's parents for the first time a few months ago, and they thought it would be nice if we all rode in the same car to a restaurant so that we could talk on the way and get to know each other.

Which would've been fine - but we ended up taking his mom's 90's Accord. Now, I don't know if anybody's ever ridden in the back seat but those seat belts were NOT meant for the morbidly obese. I couldn't get it around me :(

I struggled for like twenty seconds to get it around my big gut, and when I couldn't, I just kind of fidgeted and dug in my purse and putz'd around, hoping that nobody would notice (except my boyfriend...of course he HAD to watch that).
    On the way home from the restaurant though, his dad wouldn't pull out of the parking lot. After a minute, his wife asked why we were just sitting and he said he was "waiting for everyone to put their seat belts on."
    It was so embarrassing. I had to explain that I was too fat :(
  • gigglybeth
    Options
    5th grade. We had a social humiliation amplification ritual called "scoliosis testing". We all had to stand in a line with our shirts off, put our hands together when we got to the nurse, and bend over so she could see if we had scoliosis. Two kids ahead of me was the only dude in the 5th grade sporting a six pack.

I had moved to the USA from Canada the year before, and was introduced to school lunches bought at school instead of brown bagging it. I went from fit and active to being the foreign fat kid.

I am cracking up at the way you phrased it: "humiliation amplification ritual". We had one called heights and weights day. We'd get up on the scale while the nurse and some helper would shout our height and weight out in a tone that could be heard for miles around. Finally around 5th or 6th grade the nurse realized that kids were using the weights against each other and would whisper it to her helper to write down. Why she even needed to say it out loud I've yet to figure out.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Recently I had a business trip out of state and for the first time ever, I couldn't buckle my belt. On the way back the man sitting next to me (even though I wasn't touching him) complained to the stewardess that he wasn't comfortable next to me and asked if he could sit somewhere else.

But it should have been:

Barely passing my CPR exam two years ago. I got even heavier but now one of my mini goals is to be the same weight I was then so that I can pass. I say same weight because I will have to take it at the end of this month or beginning of next month.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I am cracking up at the way you phrased it: "humiliation amplification ritual". We had one called heights and weights day. We'd get up on the scale while the nurse and some helper would shout our height and weight out in a tone that could be heard for miles around. Finally around 5th or 6th grade the nurse realized that kids were using the weights against each other and would whisper it to her helper to write down. Why she even needed to say it out loud I've yet to figure out.
    [/quote]

When I was in 4th grade my school had basically the same thing and I weighed 165lbs and I didn't think anything of it. I knew I was bigger than the other kids but I had yet to be picked on about it. But then a girl who I didn't know came to me feeling bad for me and said sympathetically, "Don't worry, my mom weighs the same and she's not fat." Then it donned* on me and I was like >_<.

***the edit thing isn't working for me. It says [/quote] but it's not quoting...***
  • gigglybeth
    Options
    When I was in 4th grade my school had basically the same thing and I weighed 165lbs and I didn't think anything of it. I knew I was bigger than the other kids but I had yet to be picked on about it. But then a girl who I didn't know came to me feeling bad for me and said sympathetically, "Don't worry, my mom weighs the same and she's not fat." Then it donned* on me and I was like >_<.

***the edit thing isn't working for me. It says but it's not quoting...***

Ooooh man, do I feel you. The year the nurse stopped shouting our weights out at full volume, she also moved the scale about 10 feet away from the line and I seem to remember a Christmas tree between the kids and the line as well. One kid actually snuck around the tree to try and hear how much I weighed and reported back to the rest of the line. He told the story of how much I weighed (I think it was 175) for YEARS. "Did you know that when we were in 5th grade Beth weighed ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE POUNDS??? That's as much as MY DAD!"
  • ClarissaMarie94
    ClarissaMarie94 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Why in the hell did you marry him? He's an *kitten*.
    Mine would probably have to be when a girl in 8th grade commented on how my arm was bigger than her leg. No wait, scratch that. When a guy called me a fatass in front of about 15 people. I have a whole blog about some of my experiences.

I've had a lot that embarrassed me and made me feel bad about myself.