Why is 'Step' not so popular anymore?

Options
1235»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Step. I think it was just one of those many "fads" and I'm sure once the next one came along people forgot about step. The fun routines do require a pretty good learning curve as well, but that's why I love it! People saying that it's boring have not done the right step routines! It has to be challenging choreography. I have one that took me 4 months to learn completely. I have many step DVDs and will do the ones I find on YouTube often as well. Jenny Ford has amazingly awesome ones for all levels that you can download as well. Also, the real size health club step is ridiculously expensive, usually $100 or so which I'm sure turns a lot of people off. I'm not happy about how I have to gorilla glue the top piece of plastic down constantly either, but I love my step and it's really been the main reason I've lost 30 pounds this time around!

Well, complicated choreography is good for some.....but not all. If you have limitations in that area (I do) there are easier videos too. I think step can be fun when it's simple (for some of us).

My first venture into step-dom was Basic Step by Cathe Friedrich, and Go! Step for Beginners by Kari Anderson....these took a few tries to master (yes, I'm that bad). After trying several more complicated DVDs (and getting frustrated)....I finally settled for simple easy to do step videos. I do step occasionally. A couple other simple DVDs....Christie Taylor Mission Possible, and Debra Mazda Let's Get Stepping.

For more complicated step (in addition to Cathe Friedrich) other names (for current step DVDs)......Christie Taylor, Patrick Goudeau, Kelly Coffey Meyer, Tonya Larson, and Jenny Ford whom you already mentioned.

This site gives video clips & reviews of dozens of step workouts: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/190.htm
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Gyms in my area all have step classes...
    I don't care for it because I just trip the whole time and I'm afraid I'd really injure myself.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    LOL, I stil; remember my mom in the 80s... "up up down down" VHS going, she had this thing she would step up and down on.

Also, my mom was a big fan of Charlene Prickett. Anyone remember her circa 1985?? Haha, Youtube it if not. Funny 80s aerobics.

Yeah my mom did the Jane Fonda one, and the Reebok Step one. The Reebok was hysterical, it took itself super serious, they were in this warehouse or something, and played this bad techno (redundant) music.

I think I had that Reebok one, with Gin Miller? Yea, the men in spandex was pretty stellar.

I love Step, it's how I got into exercise back when I was 18. I stopped going at my gym because I don't like the new teacher. I miss my old instructors. The instructor really makes or breaks the class.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I liked Step...until I discovered how bad it was for my knees. Definitely not low impact...

You and me both. I'd finally just started to get good (well, co-ordinated enough not to feel like a fool), and then there it was - the dreaded *ouch*.