The conspiracy to make (and keep us) fat...

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    With that, I think you just shot yourself in the foot. Following your logic, there are people (such as those trying to be healthy on an 1,800-calorie budget) who should not be there at the ice cream slot machines?
    Living by a budget and "not gambling with your frickin grocery money" is a basic life skill.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Yet you people continue to yammer about "moderation" when that is clearly NOT working on a national basis. The problem is only getting worse.
    People who are getting worse are not practicing moderation. That doesn't mean that moderation doesn't work. You act like it's some wacky extremist idea when in fact it's a basic life skill, like walking, swimming, riding a bike, tying one's own shoes.

She's a sugar "addict" so apparently everyone who practices moderation is wrong . . .
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I recently came across two reports that made me realize how much the choices we make affect our success.

The first one I heard on NPR. It was someone talking about how we’re “hard-wired”, …we’re made to want high fat, high calorie foods (and a lot of it). Our ancestors who ate as much of those things as they could, when they could are the ones who survived. The problem is, our ancestors didn’t have the abundance of these things that we do today. My take away? Don’t start eating these things, because it’s too hard to stop (and not just because I my willpower isn’t strong enough).

The other was an article in the NY Times magazine, that discussed how food manufacturers make the food we eat. The one thing that blew my mind? There is an actual term they use, called the “bliss factor” that is the point at which a food triggers a response in your body that makes you want to keep eating. Let me repeat this…they actually create foods with the goal to make it physically more difficult to put it down.

Wow, like it isn’t hard enough for me already! What this made me realize is that I really do need to focus on the items around the perimeter of the store. I have been aware of that for a while, but these two things made the light bulb go off for me…when I eat the things that are processed, I’m making it much harder on myself than it needs to be.

And why on earth would I do that?

Yep--food scientist know that humans prefer sugar, salt and fat in that order. And ice cream, because it contains all three in abundance, is the "perfect storm" of temptation. :devil:

Abundance? Here's what I've been eating daily for awhile now. I think we have different ideas of what abundance is. I'm guessing you'll ignore the fat and sodium, even though that's 2/3rds of your argument against ice cream.

MintCookieNutri_zpsbbd304ad.jpg

The same serving size of Häagen-Dazs Vanilla is 270 calories. With 18 grams of sugar and 127 mg. of sodium. And while we are looking at it, really, who eats 1/2 cup of ice cream? Do you?

Nope, I eat 4. 127 mg of sodium and 18 g of sugar is hardly an abundance by any standard.

It is when you are trying to maintain your weight at 1,800 calories. Look, if you are a young body builder maintaining at 4,000 to 5,000 calories a day, you can afford to waste calories on junky food. To give a somewhat crude example, it's kind of like the multi-millionaire who can afford to lose $2,000 at the roulette table vs. the pensioner who loses $150 on the slot machines. The multi-millionaire shrugs and walks off to ride away in his limo. The pensioner cries because he knows that he will have to eat dog food for the next week.

The pensioner shouldn't have been there to begin with.

With that, I think you just shot yourself in the foot. Following your logic, there are people (such as those trying to be healthy on an 1,800-calorie budget) who should not be there at the ice cream slot machines?

Not if that's the only thing they can eat. I never stated you should eat only ice cream. Your argument is invalid and actually proves mine, he should have practiced moderation.

When I do an analysis of my diet, I simply cannot afford to lose any calories to sugar. Period. So I exercise restraint and don't even go there. It is actually easier than what you do fitting it into your macros. I can go to a party and not whip out my phone and plug in everything I'm going to eat to see if I have any room left in my macros. I just know what I am NOT going to eat and let the rest fall where it may lay. When I get home and record what I have eaten, lo and behold, I discover that I have easily stayed within my macros. :smile:
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm one up on ya' I don't eat any at all and haven't even felt the need to since I got off sugar. (Three years and counting.) My health has steadily improved.
    I like the fact that I don't HAVE to give up things I once really enjoyed. I used to love ice cream, and when diagnosed as diabetic initially thought I'd have to remove it from my diet (as one of many rather incorrect recommendations from the Canadian and American Diabetes Associations was to watch fat intake...)

I don't eat much (maybe 2 servings a week?), and I eat "no sugar added" varieties whose first ingredient is "real dairy cream" (because I don't exactly know what "modified milk ingredients" are, but I don't want to ingest them.)

Usually I have it (as-mentioned previously) in a 1/2c serving with some heavy whipping cream. If I'm light on calories I'll throw it in a protein shake to thicken/chill it nicely.

It's important to realize that while some people find it best to completely eliminate something from their diet (like I'm assuming mulberry does), others won't stick to a healthy diet if they cannot have some 'treat' occasionally. The fact remains though, that if one CAN control one's appetite/willpower, one CAN enjoy a treat here and there without ill effects to their health.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I recently came across two reports that made me realize how much the choices we make affect our success.

The first one I heard on NPR. It was someone talking about how we’re “hard-wired”, …we’re made to want high fat, high calorie foods (and a lot of it). Our ancestors who ate as much of those things as they could, when they could are the ones who survived. The problem is, our ancestors didn’t have the abundance of these things that we do today. My take away? Don’t start eating these things, because it’s too hard to stop (and not just because I my willpower isn’t strong enough).

The other was an article in the NY Times magazine, that discussed how food manufacturers make the food we eat. The one thing that blew my mind? There is an actual term they use, called the “bliss factor” that is the point at which a food triggers a response in your body that makes you want to keep eating. Let me repeat this…they actually create foods with the goal to make it physically more difficult to put it down.

Wow, like it isn’t hard enough for me already! What this made me realize is that I really do need to focus on the items around the perimeter of the store. I have been aware of that for a while, but these two things made the light bulb go off for me…when I eat the things that are processed, I’m making it much harder on myself than it needs to be.

Yep--food scientist know that humans prefer sugar, salt and fat in that order. And ice cream, because it contains all three in abundance, is the "perfect storm" of temptation. :devil:

Abundance? Here's what I've been eating daily for awhile now. I think we have different ideas of what abundance is. I'm guessing you'll ignore the fat and sodium, even though that's 2/3rds of your argument against ice cream.

The same serving size of Häagen-Dazs Vanilla is 270 calories. Also it comes replete with 17 grams of fat along with 18 grams of sugar and 127 mg. of sodium. And while we are looking at it, really, who eats 1/2 cup of ice cream? Do you?

Yes, I do. I eat 1/2 cup of ice cream every couple of days or so. I very easily fit it into my calorie and macro goals and I have no problem stopping after 1/2 cup. I don't understand what is so difficult about that, to be honest.

Well, I'm one up on ya' I don't eat any at all and haven't even felt the need to since I got off sugar. (Three years and counting.) My health has steadily improved.

I would say I am one up on you. My health is excellent. In fact, my last physical was so outstanding that my doctor said "wow, I sure wish all of my patients took care of themselves the way you do" All of this PLUS ice cream. I win. I have the self control to enjoy just one normal serving of ice cream without going into a frenzied sugar binge. I am truly amazing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The same serving size of Häagen-Dazs Vanilla is 270 calories. With 18 grams of sugar and 127 mg. of sodium. And while we are looking at it, really, who eats 1/2 cup of ice cream? Do you?

Nope, I eat 4. 127 mg of sodium and 18 g of sugar is hardly an abundance by any standard.

It is when you are trying to maintain your weight at 1,800 calories. Look, if you are a young body builder maintaining at 4,000 to 5,000 calories a day, you can afford to waste calories on junky food. To give a somewhat crude example, it's kind of like the multi-millionaire who can afford to lose $2,000 at the roulette table vs. the pensioner who loses $150 on the slot machines. The multi-millionaire shrugs and walks off to ride away in his limo. The pensioner cries because he knows that he will have to eat dog food for the next week.

Not if that's the only thing they can eat. I never stated you should eat only ice cream. Your argument is invalid and actually proves mine, he should have practiced moderation.

When I do an analysis of my diet, I simply cannot afford to lose any calories to sugar. Period. So I exercise restraint and don't even go there. It is actually easier than what you do fitting it into your macros. I can go to a party and not whip out my phone and plug in everything I'm going to eat to see if I have any room left in my macros. I just know what I am NOT going to eat and let the rest fall where it may lay. When I get home and record what I have eaten, lo and behold, I discover that I have easily stayed within my macros. :smile:

You're eating 1800 calories a day but have no room to fit in "any" sugar?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Um, I don't find that I need to whip out my phone (not that it would be hard to do so if I did) and see if I can fit something. By nature of my diet I know what I can and shouldn't eat to hit my goals. It's not difficult. I'm sorry you find it hard.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Yet you people continue to yammer about "moderation" when that is clearly NOT working on a national basis. The problem is only getting worse.
    People who are getting worse are not practicing moderation. That doesn't mean that moderation doesn't work. You act like it's some wacky extremist idea when in fact it's a basic life skill, like walking, swimming, riding a bike, tying one's own shoes.

She's a sugar "addict" so apparently everyone who practices moderation is wrong . . .

If you think that sugar is not addictive for some people, you are quite wrong. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

And I am NOT a sugar addict, thank you very much. I actually never ate much sugar as an adult---but I ate a lot of it as a kid. I was hypertensive by the time I was a senior in high school too.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Um, I don't find that I need to whip out my phone (not that it would be hard to do so if I did) and see if I can fit something. By nature of my diet I know what I can and shouldn't eat to hit my goals. It's not difficult. I'm sorry you find it hard.

If that is indeed true, then why would you quibble with me for doing the same? A bit of a double standard? I just find it easier to use my approach---it actually seems a bit obsessive to be plugging things into a phone app. I don't mind if you do it, why does it bug you so much that some people CHOOSE not to waste calories on sugar?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

You're eating 1800 calories a day but have no room to fit in "any" sugar?

Nope, don't want to waste the calories. I also have another reason for eschewing sugar. It raises uric acid levels.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Nope, don't want to waste the calories. I also have another reason for eschewing sugar. It raises uric acid levels.

That's too bad. I ate about 1900 calories today and found room for ice cream, just like I ate about 1750 calories yesterday and found room for ice cream.

Yum.

You should open your diary. Would be interesting to see what you're using all these calories on.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I'm losing weight with a calorie goal of 1675, but I make room for ice cream pretty much every day. Yesterday I ate 1764 calories, of which 220 was ice cream. 136g protein, 57g fat, and 24g fiber.

So...... what's your argument again? That you can't eat ice cream with an 1800 calorie diet?

where.jpg

I could but at the expense of other nutrients that are important to me. I could criticize your diet but I choose not to.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

That's too bad. I ate about 1900 calories today and found room for ice cream, just like I ate about 1750 calories yesterday and found room for ice cream.

Yum.

You should open your diary. Would be interesting to see what you're using all these calories on.

who cares man? people don't need to eat like you if they don't want to. there's literally nothing wrong with that.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Yum.

who cares man? people don't need to eat like you if they don't want to. there's literally nothing wrong with that.

No one said anyone needs to eat like me. She's claiming there are inherent problems with a food like ice cream, and I'm exploring that claim.

No one asked you to defend her claim or opinion. You apparently don't even know what she's trying to express.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yum.

No one said anyone needs to eat like me. She's claiming there are inherent problems with a food like ice cream, and I'm exploring that claim.

No one asked you to defend her claim or opinion. You apparently don't even know what she's trying to express.

you aren't exploring ****.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

If you think that sugar is not addictive for some people, you are quite wrong. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

And I am NOT a sugar addict, thank you very much. I actually never ate much sugar as an adult---but I ate a lot of it as a kid. I was hypertensive by the time I was a senior in high school too.

That must have been terrible. I'm so lucky to be healthy and still be able to eat sugar. Life is truly marvelous for some us I guess.
  • jonnythan
    Options

That must have been terrible. I'm so lucky to be healthy and still be able to eat sugar. Life is truly marvelous for some us I guess.

It is for me. I'm able to eat the same number of calories as mulberry but still have ice cream. She can't. I am genuinely blessed.

You know, we got Reddy to eat some Pop Tarts. I think mulberry needs to eat a little lighter tomorrow and have a nice bowl of ice cream before bed. It would be good for her.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

It is for me. I'm able to eat the same number of calories as mulberry but still have ice cream. She can't. I am genuinely blessed.

You know, we got Reddy to eat some Pop Tarts. I think mulberry needs to eat a little lighter tomorrow and have a nice bowl of ice cream before bed. It would be good for her.

you've been here two years and you've only lost 10 pounds. why's that?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Yum.

Here's what I ate today (fairly typical). It was yummy and I quite enjoyed it., thank you very much:

Prev Wednesday April 10, 2013 Next
    Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Potass
    Biosource - Fish Oil 1000mg, 1 Soft Gel Capsules 10 0 1 0 0 0
    Spinach - Raw, 0.33 cup 2 0 0 0 8 55
    Onions - Raw, 33 g 14 3 0 0 1 48
    Green - Bell Pepper, 25 g 5 1 0 0 1 44
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 cup (8 fl oz) 2 0 0 0 5 116
    Aroy-D Coconut Milk - (Corrected for Sodium/Potassium), 0.063 of a cup (15 ml) 21 0 2 0 2 40
    Neilson Table Cream 18 - Table Cream, 2 Tbsp 60 2 5 1 30 0
    365 Organic - Salted Butter Organic Sweet Cream, 0.75 tablespoon 75 0 8 0 56 0
    Generic - One Egg, 1/2 cup (one whole egg) 140 2 10 12 126 146
    Organic Meadow - 3.8% Plain Yogurt, 0.25 cup (175g) 43 4 2 2 27 0
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    372 12 28 15 256 449

Lunch
    Cheese - organic Cheddar, 2 oz 228 1 19 14 351 55
    Peppers - Sweet, green, raw, 0.2 cup, sliced 4 1 0 0 1 32
    Renees - Greek Feta Salad Dressing, 14.19 ml 86 0 9 0 73 0
    Generic - English Cucumber - Burpless Cucumber - Seedless Cucumber, 1/2 cup/125ml (65g) 10 2 0 1 0 95
    Avocado Haas, 1/5 Medium - Avocado Edible Portion No Seed No Skin, 1 ounce (30g) 50 3 5 1 0 150
    President's Choice - Organic Grape Tomatoes, 1/4 cup 7 1 0 1 2 89
    Terra - Sweet Potato Chips, 0.5 oz (28g/ about 17 chips) 80 8 6 1 5 174
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    465 16 39 18 432 595

Dinner
    California Giant Berry Farms - Raw Organic Strawberries, 100 g (4 oz) 32 8 0 1 1 153
    Biosource - Fish Oil 1000mg Odourless, 1 Soft Gel Capsules 10 0 1 0 0 0
    Hi Liner - Haddock (Corrected for Potassium), 140 grams 210 11 9 21 350 520
    Terra - Sweet Potato Chips, 0.5 oz (28g/ about 17 chips) 80 8 6 1 5 174
    Trader Joe's - Organic Baby Peeled Carrots, 3 oz 35 8 0 1 65 270
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    367 35 16 24 421 1,117

Snacks
    Aroy-D Coconut Milk - (Corrected for Sodium/Potassium), 0.063 of a cup (15 ml) 21 0 2 0 2 40
    Celery - Raw, 2 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) 11 2 0 1 64 208
    Lemon juice - Raw, 0.5 lemon yields 6 2 0 0 0 29
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, decaffeinated, 1.5 cup (8 fl oz) 0 0 0 0 7 192
    Neilson Table Cream 18 - Table Cream, 2 Tbsp 60 2 5 1 30 0
    Peanut Butter - Harris Tetter - Organic Creamy No Stir, 2 tbsp 210 6 16 9 55 180
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    308 12 23 11 158 649

Totals 1,512 75 106 68 1,267 2,810
    Your Daily Goal 1,550 213 51 58 2,500 3,500
    Remaining 38 138 -55 -10 1,233 690
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Potass
    *You've earned 170 extra calories from exercise today
  • jonnythan
    Options

you've been here two years and you've only lost 10 pounds. why's that?

You've been here a year and you've lost 0 pounds. Why is that?