Poeticmoe Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wow - I never knew this! Great thread.
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Meh little pink weights
    marilyn monroe is overrated

You've missed the point. The point wasn't to say she is the best & strongest lifter.

I know those weights aren't very heavy, but I think these photos are a good start for those few girls who are deathly afraid of dumbbells or anything non-cardio. If I would've showed a fitness model, they would've started worrying about looking too muscular or wtv it is people say about fitness models. I myself don't get into the "Marilyn Monroe" thing but I know she is important & a role model for a lot of girls I know (especially when it comes to esteem/body issues). Marilyn would mean more than some fitness model.

It's possible Marilyn did lift more than that but was just told to pose with an empty bar (Since photo shoots take long & they probably didn't want her to sweat). In her pics, she has a good set of quads/calves!

And she does a lot of calf raises... I'm sure she put on more weight when doing it at home. If you look closely at some of the pics, you can see some extra plates in the background a few feet away!

The point is She used weights , she didn't just sit and say heh I'm beautiful aka Sexy
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I love Marilyn Monroe, she was beautiful. It is a shame that by Hollywood standards today she would be bullied into losing that GORGEOUS figure, by some producer that told her she was FAT.

I don't think that would happen, She was curvy, but very tiny.
    I believe she was a size 14. Not tiny but perfect for her. Love this thread.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    I love Marilyn Monroe, she was beautiful. It is a shame that by Hollywood standards today she would be bullied into losing that GORGEOUS figure, by some producer that told her she was FAT.

A size 14 used to be quite small! I used to be a size 14 in vintage clothes (when I was younger). Amazingly, when I checked those measurements they now translate to a modern US 0 - 4 (depending on brand). She was not at all big, but even back then, slimness was expected in Hollywood stars and she had a curvier than usual figure.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    Happy Easter, Marilyn :flowerforyou:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

A size 14 used to be quite small! I used to be a size 14 in vintage clothes (when I was younger). Amazingly, when I checked those measurements they now translate to a modern US 0 - 4 (depending on brand). She was not at all big, but even back then, slimness was expected in Hollywood stars and she had a curvier than usual figure.

Yes, this is correct. She had a 22 inch waist, which is very tiny, and she was curvy for her size (looked even more curvy because her waist was so small). They have measured her clothing now and she was actually between a size 0-2.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    This is great!

But all I can think is that I'm thankful for the invention of the sports bra! Those poor women!!

I actually had a relatively busty friend who wore a bullet bra instead of a sports bra to the gym. They're pretty supportive. :)
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Too true. The largest measurements ever recorded for her were 37-23-36. Her smallest recorded measurements are 35-22-35. Very tiny!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    marilyn monroe is overrated

When I was young I found her unwatchable (could not stand the little baby voice and behavior and I think she was complicit in her own victimhood.) If I have to pick a voluptuous Hollywood beauty to admire, it will be Elizabeth Taylor every time.

Hollywood stars were ahead of the fitness curve. I'm not surprised that Monroe did some kind of exercise, but I doubt she lifted weights regularly. She has no definition. These look like publicity shots.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    So true about the sizes changing - my mother was a tiny spot of a thing back in the day - she had the same measurements as MM - and I remember getting out some of her old clothes, those straight 7/8 pants and dresses with itty bitty waists - they were like the equivalent of a size 6-8 in todays sizes. Ridiculous!

Actually, thinking about it. Those sizes are probably American. My mother made a lot of her clothes as well, and I remember the old yellow patterns, we only recently threw them out. I'm pretty sure they were based on US fashion and sizing before our Australian industry took off. Food for thought.

MM had a lovely hourglass figure, and she was not fat by any stretch of the imagination.

I've never seen these photos, but wow, am I so glad to see women lifting weights back then. Makes me wonder why there is such phobia surrounding it. Looks like I've got another thing on my list of must-find-reads!!

Thank you for sharing.
  • jasminetoi
    jasminetoi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    love
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    MM was very tiny. Her dressmaker had her weight listed as 118, so size 14? Maybe in the 1950's but like someone else said, that is like a size 2/4 today.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/04/marilyn-monroe-was-not-even-close-to-a-size-12-16/
  • PattiBear85
    PattiBear85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My inspiration now!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options