Lose 5 Pounds A Month- May 2010 Challenge

Options

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Well Iunderstand the article but I don't get hungry after exercising. In fact I have to force myself to consume because I know I will be eventually and I really have to maintain blood sugar levels. so my 1000 plus calories a day exercise is definately helping me lose weight. I am set with food to lose .7 pounds per week but because I work out so much I average 1.5 per week. I am already down 1.6 pounds this week and it isn't Friday yet. I love the way I am toning up and the energy I have. I will keep busting my butt until I need to try something different. I hope you all have a great day. I know I will.
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    HI PALS:
    I am loving reading all the posts that are here today. and I will add my two bits on exercise and all. I think that everyone is different and loses or gains depending on their particular body type and metabolism. I know people (ladies) that have lost so much and didn't do a lick of exercise. and others who literally worked their BUTTS OFF! and I do believe in the EAT your calories theory now too. i can exercise hard and not really get much of a sweat up too. Is it old age??? or what?
    I have learned an interesting thing though since I have been out of EXTREME MOTION like I was doing before my knee injury brought me to a HALT.I was exercising and jogging and all as you know and I was losing a pound a week mostly weeks and feeling good. Then for a couple weeks right before the injury I kind of leveled out and hit a plateau for a couple weeks. I was like WHAT IS HAPPENING ???... I AM DOING EVERY THING I CAN THINK OF TO BURN CALORIES. Then I couldn't do step aerobics or jog, ( doctors orders) so I kept just swimming and doing pilates at a slower rate. and the past few days I have seen a drop on the scales. Could it be that I am only eating the 1200 + calories because I have not earned much extra every day or was I working my body too much? I don't know but losing more than a half pound or one pounds a week is really cool. I weighed in today and about fell off the scales to see I had dropped 2 and a half pounds this week. THIS NEVER HAPPENS TO ME. So Ii will keep doing what I am doing for now since I have no choice and see what happens. and OH JENN. I took your advice and I am drinking a glass of water when I first get up and when I go to bed and also if I wake up in the night I drink some water just for fun. Thanks for the tip.
    Bye now. I am going home from work to dinner. What will it be?? I wish I had a cook! Love ya PHYLJEN:heart:
  • LaMonica140
    LaMonica140 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well I would love to lose 5 pounds this month as well so count me in for sure because I can sure use all the support you guys are offering.

LaMonica,
  • siobhannestor
    siobhannestor Posts: 177
    Options
    Phyllis, congrats on your weight loss - and on continuing to work out despite injury.

I think that there is something to the "slow and steady" exercise bit - please note, for those of you who might have been thinking that I am advocating no exercise, I am still exercising about 80-90 minutes per day. Was going to wait 'till the end of the week, but couldn't help it! I've been weighing myself 2 x a week - mid-week and Saturday morning. Lo and behold, stepped on the scale and had lost 1.5 pounds! First time the scale has budged in a month. Woo Hoo! :bigsmile:
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    The article makes sense to me. It isn't a surprise to anyone that diet is more important to weight loss than exercise is, especially for women. Personally, I lost 25 lbs rather easily by just changing my diet.... something I could never do with exercise alone.

Since getting serious about exercise, my weight loss has been significantly slower. I am doing a heavy lifting program and now eat at least 1400 calories a day, 1600+ on days that I work out when before I was eating 1200. I am not necessarily hungrier but have to eat more to keep my blood sugar levels normal, as somebody else mentioned above. Sometimes, 1600 still isn't enough to keep everything normal. I had an "incident" just last week with my blood sugar which is making me consider upping my calories again.

I haven't lost ANY weight since starting the heavy lifting program (probably due to water in my muscles.) That being said, the emotional/mental benefits of exercising for me are immeasurable. I feel strong, and I love it. I am also doing C25K which allows me to surprise myself over and over again. I have never felt so great in my life.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I agree with Phyljen. I think part of this is learning what your body does and how. This is a journey of self awareness. What works for you may not work for me. I think that is why when a weight loss study comes out it, it may contradict everything we have been led to believe in the past. I think that is why I have had such a hard time digesting what is in this article. I knew you could lose weight from changing your diet but it is really hard to swallow that exercise does not help much in weight loss. It just went against everything I have read and been taught.

My new knowledge from this article is more awareness that after exercise to be aware and careful not to let my appetite win. Make sure to eat some good quality food after an intense workout and be aware that it could trigger my appetite.

Terri
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    No more excuses...finals are over and it's time to jump on the exercising train. I think I'm going to start with walking with the baby in a jogging stroller. It's going to be 80+ degrees here and sunny today...so no excuses!!

That's my biggest challenge with such limited time (working full time) with my son, I don't want to waste any of those couple of hours a day we get together.... SO I am just going to have to figure out how we can do both!

PS..i'm bad and weigh myself everyday, I can't help it..for me it is motivating. Anyways I am down 3lbs since Sunday...that's nuts and I'm eating my calories! I guess its just a good week, now just to keep it up and maintain through the weekend!

I am jealous. It was 82 here yesterday for about 2 minutes then a cold front moved in and today it is 56 and the wind is so strong. Not even fun to be outside.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    It is really important to exercise (it's weight loss extra credit) but just as important to feed your body enough food. Once I started exercising more I did increase my calorie intake also, however, I only eat back about 1/2 of my exercise calories everyday. I did slowly lose but I went up and down on the scale for many months. For the last two and half weeks or so I have been eating ALL of my exercise calories and have been dropping weight every time I get on the scale. I am sold on eating all my calories and I would tell everyone who asked me to eat lots of veggies and eat your exercise calories. It is hard to wrap your head around (eating more will make you lose more) but it really does work.
  • evaeva28
    evaeva28 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I hope everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday!! funny I almost typed Friday!! Can you tell where I want to be??? LOL
    Well I have been stuck for a little while now and I can't say that I have the answers but i do know what has and hasn't worked for me. What I found is when I was really pushing myself to exercise along with my 2 walks during the day of at least 1 mile each I was having a REALLY hard time losing any weight! I wasn't eating any more calories than the normal 1400. Then I started trying to be better about having 2 snacks and eating 3 good meals and the weight started coming off again.
    Right now I do over an hour of exercise in the mornings, I try at least 4 days a week, and then during both of my breaks we walk. On days like today when we do our really good fast walk it is over 1.5 miles that we do in 20 minutes on the other days we walk probably 3.5 to 4 miles per hour just to make it back on time :o) If I eat too little the weight just stays :( if I eat more than I am used to then I actually start losing weight.
    it sucks because I have been working my BUTT off but haven't been able to get below 200 :o( But i did start off at 225 and I am at around 208 now so something I am doing is working! LOL ... my intentions are that my morning exercises are more for the added exercise to lose weight. My 2 walks during the day are more for maintenace purposes. Anyways I hope this makes sense!!
    Have a great day everyone!!!
    Eva
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    I decided today that you guys are my co-workers. Since I do home daycare my daytime contact with other adults is very limited. My laptop is always out and on this site. When I walk by I hit f5 and see what people are saying. It gives me some adult interaction during my 11 hour workdays. My husband is at work 10 of those hours. Thanks for being my friends and co-workers!

Terri
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    I decided today that you guys are my co-workers. Since I do home daycare my daytime contact with other adults is very limited. My laptop is always out and on this site. When I walk by I hit f5 and see what people are saying. It gives me some adult interaction during my 11 hour workdays. My husband is at work 10 of those hours. Thanks for being my friends and co-workers!

Terri

Right back at ya! :smile: I am home alone with my 9 month old nephew for the better part of the day. My boyfriend will be around during the day once he finishes school, and my mom is a teacher so she will be around soon as well. But until then (and for the past several months,) it's just me, Austin, and our "friends" on Nickelodeon!
  • jtenbensel
    jtenbensel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey--thought I'd share a yummy snack--that a co-worker of mine gave me yesterday--It's allowing me to have a lil bit of sweets and still staying under 140 cal!! :)
    The teachers at my school got a fruit basket-for Teacher Appreciation Day! In there was a lot of fruit--and the good ole' Carmel and Cream Cheese Dips (full flavor, of course) in the single serving containers. Yesterday--I ate a few of the grapes--but then saw another teacher, who is an avid Weight Watchers go-er--cutting up her apple--into little bite size chunks--then put only a tsp or so-- of the caramel dip!! Put it all in a bowl--and mixed it around-- YUM!!!!!
    So I only used 1/4 of the dip that I normally would have used--ate a delicious apple--and after I entered the food items in my tracker--it was a little less than 140 calories!
    Marzetti - Old Fashioned Caramel Apple Dip--is the kind of dip it is--wasn't even Fat-Free--haha!!

Hope everyone is having a great day!! It's looking like a good run and a fun-filled day outside with my kids when I get home!!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    That is a great snack idea jtenbense! It can also be very easy to transport while on go. I have gotten the snack size glad ware and taken it along to give to the kids as a finger food in the stroller. Just bring baby wipes also of course because of the carmel. :wink:

Went out to eat tonight and I am proud of how good I was. If I eat the snack that I already logged I'll be over by just 20 calories. I think I am going to do a yoga dvd and then eat it. I wasn't planning on going out tonight, but a Grandpa that can't come to my son's party was in town (he lives about an hour 1/2 away) and asked us to go. But we don't get to see him more than a few times a year so it was nice. I just worry about going tonight and also having the party on Friday. Both days will be low exercise days and high calories. :ohwell:

Hey other mommy's, did you feel sad when your last little one started to grow into a kid and not be a baby anymore? :cry: He is growing so fast! He didn't want to sit on my lap tonight for bedtime stories because "ME BIGGGGER BOY" :sad: He is only turning 3 but I feel like it's going so fast. My daughter got into the Kindergarten Spanish program we wanted! Yay! She starts school at the end of August.
  • TCASMEY
    Options

Hey other mommy's, did you feel sad when your last little one started to grow into a kid and not be a baby anymore? :cry: He is growing so fast! He didn't want to sit on my lap tonight for bedtime stories because "ME BIGGGGER BOY" :sad: He is only turning 3 but I feel like it's going so fast. My daughter got into the Kindergarten Spanish program we wanted! Yay! She starts school at the end of August.

It is bittersweet when this happens. You want them to grow and become independent mature adults, but you want them to sit on your lap and be your baby. I really missed the connection when I stopped nursing. They no longer needed me to just sit and hold them and feed them.:frown: :cry: But then you look at them as the grow and see how wonderful they are becoming! Congrats on the Spanish program.

Terri
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I also do home daycare! Some days I feel like if I don't have adult interaction I'm going to pull my hair out, like TODAY!!!! It's also hard not to eat the crust I trim off the PB&J (I LOVE PB&J!!!)
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    Good morning everyone. It's a beautiful day. I stepped on my scales and it said 220! I'm not logging it though. I only log Mondays weight. Hopefully I can be down even more by then. I think I was 222.5 on 5/1 so that's 2.5 lbs so far! I still have a LONG way to go but this 5 lb. challenge REALLY helps. Making smaller goals is good for the ego. I CAN do this!

My foot is feeling better so I'm hoping to get a nice walk in today. I'm off work so I'm also going to get some gardening done too.
    Gotta keep movin'!
    Have a great day!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options

Jenn, My babies are 24 and soon to be 26. I still feel that way. I make them sit on my lap an cuddle me when I do see them. (others find it funny but it makes me happy) and its only once or twice a year. all bittersweet. I used to just watch them in amazement when I had to put them on the plane home after every visit. (I was the non custodial parent because I was a poor starving hollywood actor) It is all really bitterweet.

Good job on keepint the eating under control even with an unsceduled outing.

Tralalara good job on the loss. I wish the weather here was nice enough for me to garden.
  • UltimateLover
    UltimateLover Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I'm new here and this would be a good start to a weight loss. I'm up for the challenge.
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    RJ- My "babies" are 29, 27 and 22...yrs! I too don't see them very often (well, the youngest still lives here with us so I see him ALOT) My oldest daughter lives in Phoenix, AZ and the middle daughter lives in Lawrence, KS and I live in Missouri so I don't see them too often. My oldest never fails to sit on my lap. She's the one getting married in June which is what spawned my weight loss mission. The middle daughter is coming this weekend for her high school reunion and our plan is to have a Mother's Day breakfast out at Panera Bread. I have to work that day so that will work out great. Wish I could see my mom that day but she lives in Oklahoma. Oh well, thank goodness for phones!
  • shelli1923
    shelli1923 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Okay, I posted that I'd join but haven't posted again. I just got through all the posts! This group is pretty active! Exactly what I need to keep me motivated. Anyway, I am a stay-at-home-mom for now. I have a 15 mo. baby girl who keeps me pretty busy. I am considering finding a part-time job soon, tho. When I joined MFP I was 187. Currently, I am 166 and counting. I try to do 30-60 min. of cardio 5 days a week and usually eat most of my exercise calories. My BFF is doing weight watchers and she has lost more weight without exercise than I have with exercise, but I am considerably smaller. I think I have lost more inches because of the exercise. I do it because I like the way it makes me feel.