Myth: women can't bulk up

Options
I just wanted to prove to everyone out there that women CAN build muscles and bulkup WITHOUT steroids. The only difference between men and women is in the rate of bulking. Men have more testosterone and therefore it takes them less time to bulk. A muscle is a muscle. If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Here is an example:

Becca Swanson> held the world record with a 551-pound lift (bench press) in 2006

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyuqkcgbhV1qfqkngo1_400.jpg

Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up.

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP, so you enjoy insulting people? How rude!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    This takes years upon years of specialized diet and lifting routines and bulk/cut cycles. NO ONE is going to bulk up accidentally no matter how long they lift for. NO ONE.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Yes, but can guarantee you she didn't bulk up like that lifting 20-30 pounds three times a week.

Therefore, your post is just adding to the hysteria of OH NOEZ MY HANDWEIGHTS ARE GONNA MAKE ME HUUUUUGE.
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    First and Foremost....if a woman wants to look like that, that is her prerogative and trust me, no one is going to start lifting and accidentally get bulky without realizing it. They WANT to look like that and good for them.

Alot of women I know, once you start lifting and growing, you want more. and more.

I did mention that I understand this doesn't just suddenly happen, but it CAN happen and people should stop lying to women
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    And you believe she is a lifetime natural? Why?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I nearly replied to this but you guys have said it all! :flowerforyou:
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    Options
    First and Foremost....if a woman wants to look like that, that is her prerogative and trust me, no one is going to start lifting and accidentally get bulky without realizing it. They WANT to look like that and good for them.

Alot of women I know, once you start lifting and growing, you want more. and more.

It's not a myth. Woman can bulk. however, a skinny girl lifting 10lbs dumbbells isnt going to look like that. she'll gain some muscle and fill out her skinny figure. not only that, but she'll reduce her risk of osteoporosis in the future. so bottom line: LIFT LADIES!!! LIFT!! LIFT!!!

I know ladies should lift. I lift and I am gaining mass. I know if I keep doing this I can get manly (fact) so I should stop when I think I look good enough.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options

It's not a myth. Woman can bulk. however, a skinny girl lifting 10lbs dumbbells isnt going to look like that. she'll gain some muscle and fill out her skinny figure. not only that, but she'll reduce her risk of osteoporosis in the future. so bottom line: LIFT LADIES!!! LIFT!! LIFT!!!

EXACTLY!
    Heck, I would love to be a little 'bulkier' and it's just not happening. All I'm doing is leaning out while lifting HEAVY! No 5 pounds dumbbells here.
    This just doesn't happen overnight and it won't happen unless that's what you want and you work damn hard for it!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Not funny but:

579222_578492978842545_1355433528_n.png
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    Options

Cause she's a competitive athlete. You can take a look at some of the olympic weight lifters.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options

This.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Well ladies I guess it's time to put the weights down and just strictly cardio before you look like she hulk. Matter of fact don't even lift anything plates, forks or even a glass you might gain a muscle.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    This takes years upon years of specialized diet and lifting routines and bulk/cut cycles. NO ONE is going to bulk up accidentally no matter how long they lift for. NO ONE.

As it needs repeating.

Also pointless scaremongering thread is pointless
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Of course some women can bulk. After many years of effort. Depends on genetics how much and how fast and where just like it does men.

As a woman who stores fat all in one lumpy area I will trade ounce for ounce all my non-vital fat for muscle any day. Plus hey, it means I get more calories.

I'm very happy that my arms are starting to show a little muscle too and I love having muscled thighs, screw that birdy legs fashion trend. Nothing wrong with naturally thin legs but there is something wrong with deliberately losing all the muscle on your legs in order to get that look. What is wrong with looking and being strong?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I know ladies should lift. I lift and I am gaining mass. I know if I keep doing this I can get manly (fact) so I should stop when I think I look good enough.

Three years of heavy lifting and I don't look remotely close to that. Hell, I can't even squat or deadlift what she can bench and I push those two stats as hard as I can.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options

Cause she's a competitive athlete. You can take a look at some of the olympic weight lifters.

Lance Armstrong was a competitive athlete
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    So you wanna be like her? Right? Because that would be awesome!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

IF you're in a calorie surplus and work really damn hard on it for a very long time and happen to be genetically predisposed to it.

Becca Swanson is 5'10 and 240 pounds and touted as the world's strongest woman. It's her goal to be that way.

Avoiding lifting because you fear you'll look like her is like being afraid to read a book or you'll turn into Stephen Hawking.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

There are plenty of athletes who are competitive who either currently use or have used.

The fact that you believe she is a lifetime natty is concerning.