Myth: women can't bulk up

Options

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Using an obvious steroid user to illustrate your point, yeah good job op, good job.

If you think that woman is a lifetime natural you are completely delusional.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.

Good luck gaining those first 20 pounds of lean mass. You act like it's just going to happen, but you have to actually work at it. A woman would be lucky as hell to gain 10 pounds of lean mass in a year with specialized diet and training.
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did mention that I understand this doesn't just suddenly happen, but it CAN happen and people should stop lying to women

Yes it CAN happen if you WANT it to and do the WORK necessary. Nobody is going to lift 10 lbs and wake up one day looking like that. It takes dedication and a lot of hard work.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Well ladies I guess it's time to put the weights down and just strictly cardio before you look like she hulk. Matter of fact don't even lift anything plates, forks or even a glass you might gain a muscle.

I should be careful with my mascara wand too...

Well you could put an eye out so you should be careful
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    As soon as I reach my goals I'm going to quit lifting immediately because I definitely want to lose all of the strength and muscle tone I've worked hard to maintain. I also will stop taking the stairs because they make my calves all bulky.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the bashing, OP. Sure, world champion level lifters may be more than just buff. That didn't come just from some heavy lifting. That came from eating 3000+ calories a day, mainly in protein, and hours of training, specialized programs, etc. She is also genetically capable of bulking that much. Not all women are, even if they followed her exact same training plan. Just like there are so many guys who have tryed for years to to follow arnold schwarzenegger's diet and lifting plan without having the capability of acheiving his proportions.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Yes, but can guarantee you she didn't bulk up like that lifting 20-30 pounds three times a week.

Therefore, your post is just adding to the hysteria of OH NOEZ MY HANDWEIGHTS ARE GONNA MAKE ME HUUUUUGE.
    It also gives some of us hope. I would do just about anything to gain a solid 50lbs of muscle. I want to get bulky. I want to look masculine. I'm willing to do whatever it takes.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.

Good luck gaining those first 20 pounds of lean mass. You act like it's just going to happen, but you have to actually work at it. A woman would be lucky as hell to gain 10 pounds of lean mass in a year with specialized diet and training.

...like............ a HUGE calorie surplus

HUGE

the people here saying women wont bulk up are speaking to the women who are for the most part in a calorie DEFICIT and will NOT bulk up.

science and stuff
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

IF you're in a calorie surplus and work really damn hard on it for a very long time and happen to be genetically predisposed to it.

Becca Swanson is 5'10 and 240 pounds and touted as the world's strongest woman. It's her goal to be that way.

Avoiding lifting because you fear you'll look like her is like being afraid to read a book or you'll turn into Stephen Hawking.

Probably the only person I agree with here
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    Options
    I really have no idea what you are talking about. Are you for it, or against it?

I am FOR weight lifting for women, but I am against the belief that there;s not way in hell women can look manly
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    And you believe she is a lifetime natural? Why?

This^^^^ unless she is genetically gifted, have a testosterone imbalance ( like I do) ....she is on something. This is what a natural bodybuilder look like

8605468115_89f6bfc434_m.jpg
    image by yanicka.hachez, on Flickr
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to look like a man.. u could maybe possibly get there, if u have high levels of testosterone, can lift a whole lot of weight and focus all your training to get there. But for the most part, lifting will just tone u up, build strength, burn fat and help u look healthier.. which is hot.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    First and Foremost....if a woman wants to look like that, that is her prerogative and trust me, no one is going to start lifting and accidentally get bulky without realizing it. They WANT to look like that and good for them.

Alot of women I know, once you start lifting and growing, you want more. and more.

I did mention that I understand this doesn't just suddenly happen, but it CAN happen and people should stop lying to women

No one has been lying about it. They have been saying "women don't suddenly get bulky by accident". You are implying that they do.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

...like............ a HUGE calorie surplus

HUGE

the people here saying women wont bulk up are speaking to the women who are for the most part in a calorie DEFICIT and will NOT bulk up.

science and stuff

Took her 8 years to be able to bench 405. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench18.htm
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    Options
    First and Foremost....if a woman wants to look like that, that is her prerogative and trust me, no one is going to start lifting and accidentally get bulky without realizing it. They WANT to look like that and good for them.

Alot of women I know, once you start lifting and growing, you want more. and more.

If you read carefully, this is not what i am implying
    No one has been lying about it. They have been saying "women don't suddenly get bulky by accident". You are implying that they do.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY doubt she's natural.

If or not a woman can "bulk up" depends on your definition of bulking. No, women can't look like Becca naturally. But yes, a woman can gain muscle mass, a decent amount if they want.

But it's really really hard. I ate 3000 calories a day, worked out 4-5 days a week using a specific hypertrophy program. I did this for 4 months. I *might* have gained 4lbs of muscle and that was taking advantage of "newbie" gains.

Eventually all natural lifters will reach their genetic potential, a point where it's very hard to add any strength or muscle. Women reach this much quicker than men do.
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

IF you're in a calorie surplus and work really damn hard on it for a very long time and happen to be genetically predisposed to it.

Becca Swanson is 5'10 and 240 pounds and touted as the world's strongest woman. It's her goal to be that way.

Avoiding lifting because you fear you'll look like her is like being afraid to read a book or you'll turn into Stephen Hawking.

:laugh:
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has pointed this out, that some women can bulk up easily, and she is one of them, so she does not lift heavy weights and she has to watch what she does and how she eats so she does not bulk up.