Myth: women can't bulk up

Options

Replies

• trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3535533881497&set=pb.1666843314.-2207520000.1364740397&type=3&permPage=1

Am I think only one that thinks she's kinda hot? Perhaps not traditionally feminine, but I'm not traditionally feminine either...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I did mention that I understand this doesn't just suddenly happen, but it CAN happen and people should stop lying to women

Yes it CAN happen if you WANT it to and do the WORK necessary. Nobody is going to lift 10 lbs and wake up one day looking like that. It takes dedication and a lot of hard work.

Dedication, hard work, genes and steroids, in this case.

And she still looks like a large framed, very fit woman.

Yep. Anyone who thinks the pic in the OP is a man simply never looked at her face. She's quite pretty, imho.
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I really have no idea what you are talking about. Are you for it, or against it?

I am FOR weight lifting for women, but I am against the belief that there;s not way in hell women can look manly

I guess it's your paradoxical shadow of being for it, but then using the word "manly". It's a backhanded compliment. It's like saying, "You look great, if you like fat".

This is why the reaction. Your message is a backhanded compliment, or something.

No one believes that women can't bulk up. Of course they can. But, it has to be very intent.

The idea here is that telling women they will get bulky if they lift is false 99% of the time, because they wont. Telling women they will get bulky is lame. They wont get bulky. Only if they really really want to, and even then, it is very difficult and takes many years of dedication toward that goal.

You sort of have to be more clear about your point and why you brought this up because on the whole, it's pretty pointless. It is easter after all.

Maybe I should have been more clear. but I agree with u
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Let's apply this to other aspects of our life. If it isn't your life's goal to be the next Donald Trump, you'd better quit your part time job at McDonalds. You're making way too much money there.
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has pointed this out, that some women can bulk up easily, and she is one of them, so she does not lift heavy weights and she has to watch what she does and how she eats so she does not bulk up.

I always thought she was a man.

After what she did me I'm convinced she's a man

LOL!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    dont lift... i already have enough trouble waiting for equipment.... i dont need everyone wising up at once
  • Big_Bad
    Big_Bad Posts: 57
    Options
    I think that the entire point of this thread should be that you can be whoever you wanna be and do whatever you wanna do! If you wanna look like she hulk, that is ****ing awesome because it's your body and your life and you can work hard to achieve your goals!

Hooray for different types of bodies and hooray for making your dreams come true!!!

tumblr_m1imowJC4g1r6oti0.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Using an obvious steroid user to illustrate your point, yeah good job op, good job.

If you think that woman is a lifetime natural you are completely delusional.

^^yep

Not sure why people are debating this - she did not get there being natty, simple as that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Lol@OP thinking she's not juicing

Lol@OP worrying about something that would take years upon years upon years of dedication to achieve

Lol@OP trying to shout "Fire" in a theater full of rational people

Happy Easter everyone!
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am not going to continue to read them because some of them are extremely rude and immature. I would like not to argue with that level of people
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.

Of course you can to some extent "bulk up" if you WORK HARD ENOUGH (those being the key words here) but 70lbs? Do you know how long it would take a male to naturally build 70lbs of mostly lean mass?! Now, remember that men have approximately 10x the amount of testosterone as women do.

The "women can't bulk up" phrase is often used in response to women who are scared of lifting heavy in case they look like a man. Muscle building does not happen overnight and it certainly doesn't happen through lifting alone! It takes food, and time and patience and specific training. Even then, unless you are some genetic freak, you will not look like a man unless you take male hormones. Why? Because you are a woman!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Well that's good to know. I do lift ( 5 and 8 lb. dumbbells) and I do NOT want to get visibly muscular. I have gained 1" around my biceps and that's plenty right there, thanks.

THIS is a problem with posts like this one. You've convinced this lovely lady that she's going to look like Becca Swanson if she moves up from her 8lb dumbbells. Although why one wouldn't want visible muscles I can't understand.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Lol@OP thinking she's not juicing

Lol@OP worrying about something that would take years upon years upon years of dedication to achieve

Lol@OP trying to shout "Fire" in a theater full of rational people

Happy Easter everyone!

Looks like April 1st came a day early.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am not going to continue to read them because some of them are extremely rude and immature. I would like not to argue with that level of people
    What really did you expect here?
    [facepalm]
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Avoiding lifting because you fear you'll look like her is like being afraid to read a book or you'll turn into Stephen Hawking.

Oh this is just pure win. Can I steal it please? I'mma steal it ok? ok
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options

Well you started a thread and basically said that people who tell women they can't bulk up are liars. Then you posted a picture of woman who had a desire to become big and bulky who is most likely using steroids or something else. Most people here know yes woman can bulk up but it's a desire to get there just eating clean and working out and adding strength training won't make you look like that. People I don't think are being rude I just think they think your post and initial claim is just silly.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    They are rude why? Because they don't agree with you? I have read through every reply and while they are blunt and straight forward, none of them are rude. They are simple debating replies to what you are posting. If you can't handle that, then why post something that is controversal to begin with?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    First and Foremost....if a woman wants to look like that, that is her prerogative and trust me, no one is going to start lifting and accidentally get bulky without realizing it. They WANT to look like that and good for them.

Alot of women I know, once you start lifting and growing, you want more. and more.

I did mention that I understand this doesn't just suddenly happen, but it CAN happen and people should stop lying to women

Did you know if you cross the road you CAN get hit by a car. Just thought it's better you know.
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    "Lol@OP trying to shout "Fire" in a theater full of rational people"

Are you for real? And you are hammering her for being judgy? Really?
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry op if someone mislead you and told you Ms Swanson was natural but she's on all the roids in the world and has been for at least a decade. Also I think you mentioned olympic competitors earlier, yes they compete in tested events (UNLIKE Swanson) but there are many ways to avoid testing positive. While I know its kind of depressing you pretty much have to assume most elite athletes today are on some sort of performance enhancing drug.