Myth: women can't bulk up

Options

Replies

• Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    They are rude why? Because they don't agree with you? I have read through every reply and while they are blunt and straight forward, none of them are rude. They are simple debating replies to what you are posting. If you can't handle that, then why post something that is controversal to begin with?

I found quite a few of them to be sarcastic and belittling, actually. Rather than explain why they feel the original post is wrong, quite a few of the replies here have been defensive and insulting to the OP.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    They are rude why? Because they don't agree with you? I have read through every reply and while they are blunt and straight forward, none of them are rude. They are simple debating replies to what you are posting. If you can't handle that, then why post something that is controversal to begin with?

I found quite a few of them to be sarcastic and belittling, actually. Rather than explain why they feel the original post is wrong, quite a few of the replies here have been defensive and insulting to the OP.

It's wrong because she is implying just lifting can accidently turn you in Chyna
  • diggswood
    diggswood Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think she looks great - and looking at her facebook page, she also has a pretty rocking life.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    One more problem I'd like to point out: the term "bulky" is a relative, ambiguous word. It means something entirely different to every person. So, telling women they can, "bulk up" from lifting when YOU are referring to the body type of Becca Swanson, and someone else's idea of "bulk" is gaining 1" on their biceps is doing a complete disservice and robbing women of correct information and furthering the "women are supposed are supposed to be fragile flowers" stereotypes.

And what is the entire point of this thread anyway? You have accomplished nothing except, perhaps, making yourself look foolish by using an extreme example to illustrate an everyday argument.

"In order to get to 70 you have to pass through 20”

Honestly, that is probably the worst bull**** logic I have seen here in at least two days. FFS
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has pointed this out, that some women can bulk up easily, and she is one of them, so she does not lift heavy weights and she has to watch what she does and how she eats so she does not bulk up.

Well if Jillian says it............

*shrug* Some women likely are more predisposed to gain muscle more quickly and some likely are more predisposed to gain more of it. Just like any other difference in bodies. Nothing wrong with what she said, it isn't like she spoke for ALL women.

Jillian also makes a living selling products to women who are afraid of weights. It makes sense that she would feed the stereotype. Jillian did not get her body by curling 5lb dumbbells.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am not going to continue to read them because some of them are extremely rude and immature. I would like not to argue with that level of people

nNpcuHd.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am not going to continue to read them because some of them are extremely rude and immature. I would like not to argue with that level of people

Your OP was rude and immature.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

nNpcuHd.gif

Alanis says it better than I did.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    And you believe she is a lifetime natural? Why?

This!!
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    i give it 12 pages before it gets locked! (where is my popcorn and fat cushion) :bigsmile:

latest craze.... "hee woomaan never you dare lift and you will become arnie swarzenegar in a minute!"

don't worry OP, do your own job,those who go for this, they work for this and have stamina for this....they didn't just stumbled upon this, rest assured, it is damn HARD WORK AND discipline
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

By that same token, to get to 70 pounds weight loss, I'd have to lose 20 pounds first. 70 pounds of weight loss would put me at an unhealthy 90 pound body weight.

Surely, unless I had an eating disorder, I'd realize, "Hey, I'm losing more weight than I want, perhaps I should reevaluate my methods and stop eating at a deficit," long before I got to 90 pounds.

Similarly, anyone gaining muscle mass through a calorie surplus and lifting and didn't want to be as big as Becca Swanson, would reevaluate their methods (ie, stop eating at a surplus) long before they reached her size.

Using her as a "this could happen to you if you keep lifting" poster child would be like using Ally McBeal-era Calista Flockhart as a warning for anyone on a calorie deficit. Neither extreme are going to happen accidentally or overnight.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I really have no idea what you are talking about. Are you for it, or against it?

I am FOR weight lifting for women, but I am against the belief that there;s not way in hell women can look manly

What you're saying is she doesn't look like your definition of what women should look like.
    So you're body shaming her. Well isn't that all shades of lovely.
    :mad:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

By that same token, to get to 70 pounds weight loss, I'd have to lose 20 pounds first. 70 pounds of weight loss would put me at an unhealthy 90 pound body weight.

Surely, unless I had an eating disorder, I'd realize, "Hey, I'm losing more weight than I want, perhaps I should reevaluate my methods and stop eating at a deficit," long before I got to 90 pounds.

Similarly, anyone gaining muscle mass through a calorie surplus and lifting and didn't want to be as big as Becca Swanson, would reevaluate their methods (ie, stop eating at a surplus) long before they reached her size.

Using her as a "this could happen to you if you keep lifting" poster child would be like using Ally McBeal-era Calista Flockhart as a warning for anyone on a calorie deficit. Neither extreme are going to happen accidentally or overnight.

:love: :flowerforyou:

Perfect explanation :drinker:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm confused why she would say this. She loads a leg press with 350lbs then posts a thread about bench pressing asking if it makes a woman's chest manly then this thread? I'm confused but going to say she's just 19 friggin' years old and doesn't know her goals yet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to prove to everyone out there that women CAN build muscles and bulkup WITHOUT steroids. The only difference between men and women is in the rate of bulking. Men have more testosterone and therefore it takes them less time to bulk. A muscle is a muscle. If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Here is an example:

Becca Swanson> held the world record with a 551-pound lift (bench press) in 2006

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyuqkcgbhV1qfqkngo1_400.jpg

Please don't tell me this doesn't look manly. Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up and look manly.
    Hahaha! Where you been at? She broke that record already with a 600lbs bench press!!!:laugh:
    And there's NO WAY she did it without some enhancement. Sorry, you believe she did it without enhancement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to prove to everyone out there that women CAN build muscles and bulkup WITHOUT steroids. The only difference between men and women is in the rate of bulking. Men have more testosterone and therefore it takes them less time to bulk. A muscle is a muscle. If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Here is an example:

Becca Swanson> held the world record with a 551-pound lift (bench press) in 2006

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyuqkcgbhV1qfqkngo1_400.jpg

Please don't tell me this doesn't look manly. Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up and look manly.
    Also pointing out I have lot of gay female friends. There are a few that look manly WITHOUT lifting any weights at all. Same with my gay male friends who DO lift weights and some looking more feminine.
    Subjectivity is why people look down on others. You don't like the look, that's fine, but if you're going to debate about it, cover ALL bases and not just the ones you want to cover.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Ok...bulked up and strong. This does NOT equal "manly" (whatever that means). It means a strong muscular woman. Your objections say a lot more about your prejudices than about muscular women.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    And you believe she is a lifetime natural? Why?

This^^^^ unless she is genetically gifted, have a testosterone imbalance ( like I do) ....she is on something. This is what a natural bodybuilder look like

8605468115_89f6bfc434_m.jpg
    image by yanicka.hachez, on Flickr

She's absolutely lovely and I know I'll never look anything like her because I know I would go completely insane if I spent enough time in the gym to build that much muscle. But if I could wish myself a body like that, you better believe I'd do it. It would be a waste, though, I wouldn't be able to keep it looking that way. Use it or lose it is the rule.

That is not a 1 hour a day, 5 days a week gym body so everyone can stop worrying now.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Belittling and sarcasitc how? Pointing out that using a person who PURPOSELY bulks as fire towards such a topic is ignorant. Sorry, but ignorant examples that are addressed with bluntness is not belittling to me.
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

IF you're in a calorie surplus and work really damn hard on it for a very long time and happen to be genetically predisposed to it.

Becca Swanson is 5'10 and 240 pounds and touted as the world's strongest woman. It's her goal to be that way.

Avoiding lifting because you fear you'll look like her is like being afraid to read a book or you'll turn into Stephen Hawking.
    Ha ha . Love this!