Myth: women can't bulk up

Options

Replies

• RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to prove to everyone out there that women CAN build muscles and bulkup WITHOUT steroids. The only difference between men and women is in the rate of bulking. Men have more testosterone and therefore it takes them less time to bulk. A muscle is a muscle. If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Here is an example:

Becca Swanson> held the world record with a 551-pound lift (bench press) in 2006

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyuqkcgbhV1qfqkngo1_400.jpg

Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up.

Sure eat 2800 calories and do heavy lifting like a guy haven't you seen woman body builders
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to prove to everyone out there that women CAN build muscles and bulkup WITHOUT steroids. The only difference between men and women is in the rate of bulking. Men have more testosterone and therefore it takes them less time to bulk. A muscle is a muscle. If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Here is an example:

Becca Swanson> held the world record with a 551-pound lift (bench press) in 2006

Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up.

Sure eat 2800 calories and do heavy lifting like a guy. Haven't you seen woman body builders

I know guys who eat 2800 calories and lift like a guy and don't look like that.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Here is an example:

Sure eat 2800 calories and do heavy lifting like a guy. Haven't you seen woman body builders

I'm sorry, but I know many Female body builders and their definition of "Natural" is not eating more and lifting heavy-Not at all! If you have to have an alarm going off at various times of the day so you can take your "goodies" that isn't natural.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Give you a hint, If you are female with male features, pretty much everything besides an adams apple, you are probably taking some sort of male growth hormone. Females can not produce the same amount of testosterone as a male can, simple science.
    tumblr_lyuqkcgbhV1qfqkngo1_400_zpse8a502e8.jpg
    In her TV appearance, Joanna Thomas responded something along the lines of, "Train and do my diet for a year. See just how much work it is to achieve a body like this. And then you can ask me that question." I'm paraphrasing, but I've heard several male and female bodybuilders give similar answers. I've also heard a few admit they used them in the past before they became enlightened, but unless they've lost their size, I tend not to believe them. Also, a bodybuilder might not be doing steroids, but is substituting something like HGH to maintain themselves. If you recall, Sylvester Stallone got caught with a bunch of vials of that in Australia. I'd be curious if the anti-steroid zealots have a problem with that.

I've done sessions, and when the subject has come up, every bodybuilder has admitted to using. I've also had a few of these women tell me that if another FBB claims to be natural, they're lying to protect themselves.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    She was such a nice girl..
    13382399.jpg

Until she picked up those weights.

But then:
    valerie-adams-5.jpg

Grew to 6'4 and won a couple Olympic gold medals in shot put.

These are pretty normal results.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Here is an example:

I know a guy who eats ~2800 calories and lifts and doesn't look like that too.

:kicks rocks:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    valerie-adams-5.jpg
    This is what I look like in my dreams. :smokin:
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    That chick in the gif isn't natty.

The olympics, just like "natural" bodybuilding and drug tested power lifting, are riddled with drug users. they just don't fail tests.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Here is an example:

What makes you think she didn't take PED's? It's not exactly a secret that pro powerlifters have been on PED's on some point in their career.

EDIT: I wasn't sure what a woman's normal T level was so I looked it up and it's 30 to 95 ng/dL's... A man's is 300 to 1200 so even a 70 year old man produces more T than a healthy young woman. Sorry, this powerlifter took PED's at some point in her life.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    It's not exactly a secret that pro powerlifters have been on PED's on some point in their career

pretty much constantly and usually within a few minutes after weigh in
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Give you a hint, If you are female with male features, pretty much everything besides an adams apple, you are probably taking some sort of male growth hormone. Females can not produce the same amount of testosterone as a male can, simple science.

EXACTLY.

IMO woman who whine about and defend the notion that lifting heavy weights will make a woman bulk up or "look like a man" are just plain too lazy to put in the work to train hard and look good as the result, and probably spend 2 hours a day on a treadmill "to look toned" and "not get bulky!".

That said, this topic has been beaten to death on this forum. People need to do some research and learn a thing or two about science before posting this B.S.
  • JNick77
    Options

That said, this topic has been beaten to death on this forum. People need to do some research and learn a thing or two about science before posting this B.S.

:noway: :noway: What?!? No way, I don't believe you! I've never seen this topic 100 times in the last 6 months!! :noway: :noway:
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of the word "manly" being attached to muscles. Becca Swanson is a woman, she has big muscles, so big muscles are "womanly." Stop equating weakness with woman's bodies and this whole argument loses it's central, and misogynistic, idea- that strength and power are the characteristics of men, and taking them on diminishes women.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    This takes years upon years of specialized diet and lifting routines and bulk/cut cycles. NO ONE is going to bulk up accidentally no matter how long they lift for. NO ONE.

As it needs repeating.

Also pointless scaremongering thread is pointless

^this
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I want to know what the difference between training like a man and training like a woman is. Can you please explain, OP? Because I didn't know there was a specific way for each gender....
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: What?!? No way, I don't believe you! I've never seen this topic 100 times in the last 6 months!! :noway: :noway:

It's true...I swear! We should be discussing more important things...like gaining muscle on a calorie deficit or why Planet Fitness sucks being as we never discuss those things either! ;)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I want to know what the difference between training like a man and training like a woman is. Can you please explain, OP? Because I didn't know there was a specific way for each gender....

That was my first thought when I read the OP. Train like a man? What the hell does that even mean?

I'm honestly at the point now where I just don't freaking care anymore what anyone thinks of how I train, how I eat, or pretty much anything else about me. I love lifting. I love being strong. I love eating huge meals. And I am 100% woman. So go pound sand. Thanks.
  • JNick77
    Options

That was my first thought when I read the OP. Train like a man? What the hell does that even mean?

Didn't you know that a man's hamstrings function differently from a woman's hamstrings? Also, didn't you know that a woman's biceps are only stimulated by small pink dumbbells and men's biceps are only stimulated by big dumbbells that are too heavy for them to correctly lift???
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    But the point most people make is that it takes a helluva lot more time and effort for women. You won't accidentally find yourself musclebound one day.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    zombie thread is zombie...