Divisive thread is divisive.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    id say 3% of women can get here and they need to really train hard
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    i don't have a problem with female body builders BUT if you are saying she is natural then that's hard for me, who has followed bodybuilding since the 80's, to believe.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to prove to everyone out there that women CAN build muscles and bulkup WITHOUT steroids. The only difference between men and women is in the rate of bulking. Men have more testosterone and therefore it takes them less time to bulk. A muscle is a muscle. If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Here is an example:

Becca Swanson> held the world record with a 551-pound lift (bench press) in 2006

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyuqkcgbhV1qfqkngo1_400.jpg

Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up.

you think she is natural?! hahaha! oh my..

She has been using exogenous hormones for many years to hit a 551 bench. I will guarantee you that for many periods in her lifting career she had a higher testosterone count than the average male. In addition to the other chemicals in her system.

No woman ever got truly large and bulky (perspective is individual of course, so this is my opinion) while being somewhat lean without exogenous hormones. Ever.
    not true. podobedava during 2012 olympics clean and jerked 355lbs while weighing 165. passed to most strict drug testing, not many men can do that.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    What? You mean you cannot get 'swole' by accident?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.

Good luck gaining those first 20 pounds of lean mass. You act like it's just going to happen, but you have to actually work at it. A woman would be lucky as hell to gain 10 pounds of lean mass in a year with specialized diet and training.

This. I worked my butt off for 6 months and gained 3 lbs of lean body mass. THREE.
  • baptiste565
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.

Good luck gaining those first 20 pounds of lean mass. You act like it's just going to happen, but you have to actually work at it. A woman would be lucky as hell to gain 10 pounds of lean mass in a year with specialized diet and training.

This. I worked my butt off for 6 months and gained 3 lbs of lean body mass. THREE.
    3lbs of muscle in 6 months of training? dem good gainzz right der!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    not true. podobedava during 2012 olympics clean and jerked 355lbs while weighing 165. passed to most strict drug testing, not many men can do that.

She doesn't look "like a man," though. She looks like a ... strong woman.

04_08_12_Weightlifting_08_sd.jpg

And a very pretty one at that!

photo_19397.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Wait, so now don't believe that dopers compete in the Olympics? How many drug tests did Marion Jones fail, exactly?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I totally get what you're saying. They also lie about BF% and that in order to look ripped, most women will lose their curves unless they get cosmetic surgery. And, IMO, augmentation + low BF% is positively freaky looking. But that's all part of the "cardio is bad, lifting heavy is good" tunnel vision.

Really?
    Who are they?
    I haven't seen any of this on this forum, especially the "cardio is bad".

I guess you missed the "running makes you fat" thread monolith.

Yeah I did.
    But I have seen plenty of other threads here and know a lot of the "heavy lifting" people also do cardio, not all but some. The only time I have seen people say not to do cardio is when someone is trying to bulk. I have seen people say it isn't necessary, which it isn't.

I've also seen tons of "am I going to lose my breasts" or "how do I keep my boobs" threads and no one omits that fact that when you lose body fat, you will also likely lose in the chest as well. How much depends on the person. At a low body fat I still didn't go below a C, no surgery required.

But the thing is that you can say that about every form of exercise, none of it is truly "necessary." It all really depends on what one is after. Cardio is good for your heart. Strength training is good for your bones. Stretching is good for increasing your flexibility. And on, and on.

I went from around 21% body fat to about 18% and also stayed a C. But I'd be lying to say that I haven't lost fullness. I don't know what your body fat % is but if you are down in the body building competition range and you didn't lose a cup size or two (or three) then you are a very lucky, and rare, woman.

I'm not saying any exercise is necessary, I'm specifically addressing the comments made around here about cardio in relation to heavy lifting.
    And I agree about chest size. All the threads here have made it clear, you will lose it. How much depends on you.
    As for me, I was referring to when I competed in bodybuilding, figure class. I did lose several sizes,but I didn't lose all my curves. I still had hips and I was able to maintain some of my bust.

My point, I don't see any the lies you are talking about.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to prove to everyone out there that women CAN build muscles and bulkup WITHOUT steroids. The only difference between men and women is in the rate of bulking. Men have more testosterone and therefore it takes them less time to bulk. A muscle is a muscle. If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Here is an example:

Becca Swanson> held the world record with a 551-pound lift (bench press) in 2006

Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up.

you think she is natural?! hahaha! oh my..

She has been using exogenous hormones for many years to hit a 551 bench. I will guarantee you that for many periods in her lifting career she had a higher testosterone count than the average male. In addition to the other chemicals in her system.

No woman ever got truly large and bulky (perspective is individual of course, so this is my opinion) while being somewhat lean without exogenous hormones. Ever.

Lol at the idea that podobedava passed drugs tests, or was clean in 2012. She changed countries after failing drugs tests in 2006. She is 75kg with abs at 5'5'' and medalled in the olympics, she's on so many drugs.
  • baptiste565
    Options
    Wait, so now don't believe that dopers compete in the Olympics? How many drug tests did Marion Jones fail, exactly?
    maybe she cheated maybe not...but i respect her and her accomplishments.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm not debating her impressive accomplishments and I don't really care if people use drugs in sports where everyone that wins is doping. Just part of the game as far as I'm concerned.

My only point here is that the OP was trying to present a genetically gifted doper as an example of what could happen to women if they lifted weights. And of course mfpcopine dropped in to cosign that ridiculous garbage. People need to stop with the Bulky Woman horror stories.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    APRIL FOOLS!

I like how you make this about gender and not about intensity or work ethic.

I think the sentiment should be: If you want to get big you will if you follow the proper steps... regardless of gender.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I really have no idea what you are talking about. Are you for it, or against it?

I am FOR weight lifting for women, but I am against the belief that there;s not way in hell women can look manly

She still looks like a woman with large arm and chest muscles to me. I didn't see an Adam's apple or pants bulge in any of the pictures.

She has a pronounced brow ridge and mandibles which are both beginning signs of agromegally (caused by too much growth hormone) also, there are anabolic steroids that do not have androgenic tendencies and thus do not cause virilization in women (the most popular being boldenone and nandrolone)

Any Idea what these poor women were on? http://video.pbs.org/video/1239877248
  • fitbulky
    Options

Here is an example:

She may be on steroids.I have been lifting heavy for a year.High volume.I would love to be BULKY but unfortunately I am not
  • fitbulky
    Options
    First and Foremost....if a woman wants to look like that, that is her prerogative and trust me, no one is going to start lifting and accidentally get bulky without realizing it. They WANT to look like that and good for them.

Alot of women I know, once you start lifting and growing, you want more. and more.

It's not a myth. Woman can bulk. however, a skinny girl lifting 10lbs dumbbells isnt going to look like that. she'll gain some muscle and fill out her skinny figure. not only that, but she'll reduce her risk of osteoporosis in the future. so bottom line: LIFT LADIES!!! LIFT!! LIFT!!!

I know ladies should lift. I lift and I am gaining mass. I know if I keep doing this I can get manly (fact) so I should stop when I think I look good enough.

How much MUSCLE have you really gained?
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    There is no myth that women can't bulk up without steroids.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Go away, OP. Just go away.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    So...don't train for THAT long.