WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Brooke, I'll look for the protein powder. Thanks!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Pleased to report that I have lost 2lbs! Yeay now the hard part - to keep it off and add a few more to it!

:frown: Trouble is I've caught the dreaded bug! Been coughing since yesterday morning, I'm sure my body likes to sabotage me, every time I start logging and exercising, it catches a bug :grumble: and I lapse into unhealthy eating/no exercise. But not this time Mr Bug - I am going to continue logging and doing moderate exercise until you have gone :bigsmile: ( I think I have coughed so much I've pulled something in my back - I have an ache and I never suffer from back ache - very lucky I know) On the good side though, I must have drank gallons of water yesterday, unfortunately this meant frequent trips to the loo - but hey ho at least I was drinking water.

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie - sorry to hear that you too have the bug and are not well, hope you feel better soon. Keep drinking the water :laugh:

:flowerforyou: BJ Congratulations and good luck with completing your Masters.

:flowerforyou: Jane hope the storms have gone and that you are keeping well.

:flowerforyou: Michele thanks for the explanation about what's happening with you, perhaps it is just stress about the wedding and he's worried about Diane's family taking over ?? Hopefully once the ceremony is over, you'll get back the relationship you once had with him. He's your son after all, and you've brought him up, so he'll come right in the end, just think of this as a blip.

:flowerforyou: Brooke, love the quote at the bottom of your post, I'm trying to get rid of my weight too, but it keeps finding me!

Thinking about everyone not mentioned, have a good day, Welcome all newbies:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Going to do some gentle exercise !!

Viv UK
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Question and feedback needed. When I set up my account, instead of having MFP set my goals, I had set my own calorie goal at 1350. I selected Sedentary because I spend most of the work day sitting. When not at work I am usually busy and on my feet a lot. I also find that I am still hungry with the 1350 calories.
    I am not happy with my weight loss so far it's been 80 days and I have only lost a total of 13 lbs. However am now up 2 lbs. from some bad eating in the past couple weeks.
    I don't get in much exercise, I live in the sticks, no equipment here at home and limited to walking, but at mercy of the weather and my knees and bad ankle.
    I am thinking of dropping my calories to 1200, what do you all think.
    I would really appreciate some input on this.
    Thanking you in advance
    Carol

Carol- I have been trying the "eat more" idea to my weight loss journey. I also bought a food scale, electronic SAGA from ebay I think. I weight everything possible, even the milk on my cereal.
    As for exercise, I live in the sticks too. I had invested in a good stationary bike back in 06, but have not needed to use it till now. I had great jobs with exercise up until I was laid off, now, the pedometer says I am down to less than 100 steps a day here on this one acre property. so, I knew it was time to get on the bike. I found it on ebay also, for 1/2 price of retail.
    When I started with MFP, back in Jan 13, I was only logging what I thought were "servings". But when I got the food scale, I was shocked to see how much over my daily calories I was actually consuming. That helped me lose a little more weight.
    My MFP was also set at 1451 calories per day. That was difficult to stick to. I also started on the stationary bike, so am now up to "earning" an extra 581 calories per day with exercise. Most days, I eat the exercise calories back. I just plain need them. But the fact that I am logging weighed food portions, riding my stationary bike, is making some weightloss possible. Previously, I found out I had not a clue.
    So, my bottom line is...my weightloss is much slower than say 5 yrs ago.... but it is finally coming off.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Viv:smile: Yay for getting rid of 2 pounds!!!! Boo for getting a bug, is it allergies or maybe a spring time cold? You have the right attitude telling Mr. Bug he is not going to sabotage you this time, keep it up, don`t let him in!!!!

Brooke:smile: I love the quotes on the bottom of your posts!!! Yes, I`m not losing the pounds either, I`m getting rid of them for good!!!

I`m having lunch with my wonderful daughter today, just the two of us:bigsmile: , I adore my granddaughters but I never seem to get any alone time with my daughter anymore:sad: . Lunch and a shopping trip to White House/Black Market, I`m so looking forward to it!!! Since I bought the grandgirls a few outfits the other day, I thought mom deserved a few too! I am going to try very hard not to buy anything for myself just yet, I still need to finish my closet cleaning:embarassed: .

Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in warm and sunny NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    Carol ,
    When I started I was doing 1400 cal. but wanted to lose faster and went down to 1200,I am up a couple of lbs today,but again I think it is the sodium.I was bad and read until 10 last night and didnt wake up until 6 , have to drop the dog at the groomers and yes he was on my head:laugh: still feeling yucky, dont know if I will make it to the gym today.
    gonna run and do errands and be back later:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

Grey and wet here in London - I got soaked on my walk from the tube.

Not sure why, but I've got the shakes today. I'm going to lay off the caffeine and maybe try to eat a few smaller meals instead. Looking forward to Sunday and a day of rest (translate that into catching up with housework, visiting my MIL in the nursing home, visiting my dad ... etc etc - and all without a car because DH is taking it for the day.)

I have to get on with some work, but I wish you all a lovely day.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options

Brooke from Colorado

“I’m not losing weight. I’m getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again.”

I love that!!! It's perfect.

Melanie, 56-yr-old Canadian (Montreal) working in Saudi Arabia.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies!

We had a downright HOT day yesterday – was wilty by the end of the day and had a tough time sleeping – no covers either. However we had a lovely rainfall overnight that started right as our closer threw the last strike to end another Phillies win – so it was an awesome night. For those keeping score, that would be four games where DH has been banned from being anywhere near the game. I’m sensing a trend :laugh:. I also got to skype with GDG – even better! She and I “read” one of her books – she’s starting to say letters and trace them – so fun. She loves to have her hair “done” by one of the teachers at her preschool – had teeny tiny pig tails last night. I miss her.

Today I have yoga planned, but even though I got up and threw on my workout gear, I was feeling a little reluctant. I think my back is still sore enough that I’m afraid of trying to push it too far. I’ve been doing yardwork, a bit at a time, and yesterday I did shoulder and arm weights, so I want to be careful not to overdo it. However I’m also sitting too much during the day and need to start actively planning to get up every so often to move. I figure I’ll do the active part of the workout in one break and the stretching part during another – I know I need to do this, so I’m just going to.

Amanda, I hope you find someplace dry and warm. I just saw your post about waist size – I don’t really have an answer for you, but I did notice yesterday that mine had gone up an inch too. It could be that I’m not doing cardio every single day right now – I’m doing weights and yoga on some days, and to be honest I’m probably not eating as well as I should either. However, it could just be your body settling. It’s still a number to be proud of. I was thrilled to get to below 28! Hope that work fairy gets ‘round to you today :laugh:.

DeeDee, have a wonderful time with your DD! I miss mine too. I love that store! The last time I was there nothing would fit – can’t wait to go to it now.

Moxie, that is almost exactly what I had to do – at our age unfortunately we can’t just “kind of do it” – to lose weight we have to consciously watch everything – move more and eat less. If you’re losing a pound or two a week or a month, so long as the scale is moving down you’re on the right track. Congrats on the baby chicks – so cute!

Viv, congratulations! And boo to the bug! I hope you feel better soon. Be sure to drink some nice tea – I drink a cold season formula with some soothing mint and Echinacea – it usually helps me feel better if only for the hot liquid.

Katla, I let MFP manage my calories too. I’ve been at 1200 since last fall – but I usually eat somewhere between 1200 and 1700. It’s a big swing, I know, but a) I’m not actively trying to lose weight right now and b) I exercise quite a bit. I agree, patience is the key. You keep thinking it’s going to slow but then you look and realize how far you’ve come! Your approach to exercise sounds just right too – take care of those joints but give them some exercise and strengthen the muscles around them to give them support and new life.

Yanniejannie, you must be near my area. Your lunch sounds divine! Coconut cake is definitely a Southern treat – as are most desserts. Maybe it’s Southern because the food is grown locally? You had a beautiful day, it sounds like. Congratulations on those loose “skinny” jeans :laugh:.

Carol, dropping your calories, at least temporarily, won’t hurt, but here’s something to think about: you’re already hungry at 1350. If you drop it lower, what are the chances you’ll get frustrated and just chuck the whole thing? Personally, I think you might want to find some on-line workout programs you can do, including some weights, and start trying to offset your existing calorie count with some additional calorie burn. I can’t count the number of studies that are showing we really need to move more – unless you walk a lot and at a fast clip, you’re probably not burning enough. It’s not an easy or a quick fix, but it will help, I promise.

BJ, congrats on the feedback from your boss – and reviews! That’s great. So is finishing up your Master’s degree. You’ll do great.

JaneM, thinking good thoughts for you. I hope you’ve found a place to move to and will get some respite from the stress in your life.

Kate, missing you. Have a wonderful time!

Lucy, we sound like we’re on the same schedule. Work out, work, weed, work out, work, weed . .. :laugh:. DH and I sat out last night on the patio and just relaxed for a minute. It was nice.

JB, LOVE the meme! That’s awesome. Your dinner sounds perfect – I’m looking at an Indian dinner with a tagine, I think. How are you liking the kickboxing? Is it helping? I’ll have to post one of my before/after “glamour” shots of what it’s done for my abs for motivation for you :wink:. I love the options of how to take fear. How wise.

Juanita, congratulations on the scale finally moving again! And an 8k step – walk – look at you go!

CityJane, love London pubs! Your lunch sounds wonderful –good for you for picking a healthy option. And good for both of you for investing in your relationship too – agree it’s easy to get in a rut, so getting out and dressing up (or down) and being social all feeds into that. Healthy all the way around.

Jodios, LOL at trying to manage a call over the snoring dog. Everyone on my regular calls knows if it runs into the dinner hour my cat will be interrupting to let me (and them) know it’s time to hang up :laugh:. Look at you, being a good inspiration to your work-mates with the “be good” list :laugh:.

Jmkmomm, I’m sorry your DH is having a hard time. I’m glad you were able to get his heartbeat back to regular.

Sharon, welcome back from no-internet land :laugh:. My ears bother me a lot during allergy season – I think it’s the way my sinuses drain. I’m glad the doctor was able to get it under control.

Ohiomom, so GLAD to hear that!

Michele, I think trying to learn a little Spanish is an excellent idea! Not only will it help with trying to communicate with Dianna but it will also help make your vacation nicer too – you’ll be able to read street signs and menus and such. I’m always in awe of your output from the kitchen :flowerforyou:.

Gail, I love the idea of tracking the total poundage! My DH went with a neighbor and friends to the Master’s a few years ago and had a BALL. He’s all about making pimento cheese sammies this weekend and drinking out of his plastic drink cups that he won’t let anyone else touch :laugh:.

Renny, that salad sounds wonderful! Did you ask the restaurant for a recipe? Sometimes they’ll give it to you if you ask.

Sue in SD, that sounds miserable! I hope spring finds you soon – and that this isn’t it!

Kathy, glad you have “no news” :laugh:.

Meg, glad DD wasn’t injured! I recall being quite traumatized by my first accident as a teen too.

Tari, I think trying the high-impact exercises in the pool is brilliant!

Marcia, I hope the pictures of your fur-baby turn out well. We had a Brittany when I lived in CO – sadly she just passed away a couple of years ago. My ex had kept her – and she had a long and happy life. She loved nothing better than to escape from the yard and run like the wind. Your approach to losing weight and getting healthy is right on – good for you!

BJ, you’re right about the news on red meat. However there are lots of nice veggie places to get iron besides meat – spinach jumping to mind, of course, but lots of other sources too. Congratulations to your son – that’s exciting! Popcorn – I’m sitting here eating a bit left from last night for breakfast (it’s not an infrequent occurrence lol). I agree on noticing the natural hunger – I’ve been experiencing it a lot lately – it’s an unusual thing for me, but I recognize that it’s my body telling me what it needs. Love to hear that.

Shari, if you’re having numbness in your leg, chances are very good that one of the disks is pressing on your sciatica. I don’t know what they do to alleviate that – maybe some manipulation? I hope your meeting goes better than it sounds – that’s always scary and stressful.

Joyce, lol at the toothbrush story. I’m sure the ladies were wondering what exactly you had done to be punished by a preacher’s wife no less in such a way! I signed my DH up too – and he lost weight in circles around me. Then he stopped logging and started gaining in circles around me and is now back where he started. He doesn’t take this very seriously, I’m afraid. I just tell him to keep the life insurance up so I can live well when he’s gone (sadly, not quite joking around).

OK, I’m off to work. Work. Sadly, we’ve been experiencing trauma there lately, and I’m afraid it’s going to get worse. One of my favorite peer/managers just turned in his resignation – today’s his last day. My manager’s manager moved to this area in February but may be on his way out . . . and just yesterday I found out my manager, who I love, is being evaluated for a large mass in her abdomen. I’m hoping like mad that it’s a fibroid (DH said the same thing), but she has a lot of cancer in her family. I told her I am NOT pleased at the idea of moving to AZ to walk her through cancer – but in all seriousness if you can spare a kind thought for her it would make all the difference. She’s a wonderful lady without peer; I would be lost without her :sad::love:.

And on that cheery note, cheers!

M.
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Carol,

When I first started MFP I took their recommendations of 1200 calories a day. It was really frustrating and the scale/my body didn't budge an inch. I talked to a nutritionist and then took a class and took their advice to eat more. I also took their advice to exercise 30 minutes a day... even if it's just marching in place in front of the TV/video/wii. I lost three pounds in a week and my body is shrinking. The "lbs" aren't coming off the way I had become accustomed to when I was younger, but my clothes fit and I feel so much better!

There is a formula that some other members have mentioned in the past called the Harris Benedict Formula. It calculates how many calories you should take in based on your age/weight/exercise. If you plan to exercise 30 minutes a day, you don't need to eat more calories, you just eat and exercise what is recommended. One of those sites is: http://www.dontstayfat.info/calorie-calculators.html

It's worth giving it a try. It worked for me. ( I went back on MFP and put in numbers to get me to where the calculator told me I should be... with exercise!) Good luck!

Tammy
  • twotonnetarice
    twotonnetarice Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Viv – Congrats on keeping within the calorie limit and the weightloss.

Carol – I am sure that your entry looks good. It's amazing how a change of paint can add new life to a space. As far as changing calories, you might want to try 1200 for awhile. Some will say that you might need to add calories. It never seems easy to find the right amount. Sometimes I think that there is no happy medium and on choice is starvation mode and the other is pig-out mode. I wish that I could figure which amount of calories work for me for weightloss. I am also very slow. Your 18 pounds is good. I lost a few and stalled – even after adding more exercise. Keep us posted about your decision.

Amanda – my measurements don't make sense. I think part of my problem is that I would need to put permanent marks on my body to make sure I measured the same exact spot. And I do think things move around.

Barbie – the tax can be a shocker. We are also replacing our roof and just getting the measurements was a pain. Seems the estimator underestimated so his boss came out to check. The price jumped, of course.
    It was the size that we had figured, but the first guy had put a lower number in for some reason.

BJ – congrats on being close to finishing your master.

Katia – I will be going to PT for my knees – just need to find the time. No exercise is worth injuring my knees more. I am very careful. Glad to hear that you got some relief and hope that PT will help me.

Lucy – good for you for getting so much done. We are also expecting cooler weather starting tomorrow. It looks like night time right now because the rain is coming.

Ohiomom- That's great news and a huge relief for you.

Michele – Good for you for learning some Spanish. You are making an effort and I hope things do come around with your son and his fiancee.

Katla – I am going to remember what you said about going and week or two with no weightloss and then dropping a few pounds another week. I am getting frustrated and don't think that I will make my 8 pound goal by the end of the month.

M- hope that everything works out with the change in management and with the health of your colleague.

Tammy – will check out that site.

Well, it is pouring rain now – knew by how dark it was getting that it was ready to start.
    I now need to find a pool to do the high impact parts of 30DS. I am newer to the area, but think that I heard some of the neighbors mention a recreation place nearby. I have been doing my 30DS everyday, but counted the days before my cruise and I can't miss one single day or I won't do it for 30 days. Actually, I did do some last month, so maybe that counts. I am thinking of doing it twice a day on a few days just to get in the 30 days.
    Seeing as how we are rapidly approaching the middle of April, I am not feeling hopeful about reaching my weightloss goal for this month. I have added more exercise, but haven't seen the scale budge. I certainly feel stronger so that is good, but see little change in weight or inches. I am being optimistic – or delusional – and thinking that it might start changing soon.
    With this rain, it's unlikely that I will walk or bike today. The temps are supposed to drop tomorrow again, but it's easy enough to put on a coat to walk. Time to shred.

Tari in Ohio
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

I am just waiting to hear about the interview and still applying for any position that I am qualified for. something will come up soon I am sure.

I booked our flights for the St. Maarten/Vegas trip last night. I spent a small fortune because DH like to fly first class on long trips. it only added about $2000 to the total:noway: but oh well. We love to travel and travel in style. So our house looks like crap and we don't go out to dinner - ever anymore but when we travel we do it up. I guess travel is my priority.

Have an awesome day ladies!

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
    the very rainy PNW
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I followed the link to the BMI calculator and it shows me with about 300 more calories per day than the MFP recommendations, but I gave it my current weight (lower) and activity levels which are higher than when I started. Since I'm experiencing good success now, I'm sticking with what is working. In reality, I've always eaten more than 1200 calories per day because I exercise and eat back part of the exercise calories.:wink: One of my theories is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I can see that I'll need to rethink things when I near my goal weight and shift over to maintenance. That will be several months down the road. If I come to a point where this is NOT working for me, I'll revisit the BMI issue. I did bookmark your link.

Katla in currently sunny but who knows what the weather will be in 5 minutes NW Oregon
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good morning, afternoon, and evening Ladies! It's almost Friday! It doesn't matter how old I get, I always feel 14 on a Friday.

Carol, I've hit a plateau, mesa, AND butte. I mean it's going on two months, I think, that I haven't lost an ounce. I've weaved up a few ounces or a pound, and then right back down to where it sticks. Every once in a while, I'll indulge on a Sunday brunch or a weekday dinner, but nothing to account for the scale totally not moving.

At first, I chalked it up to training, but I'm rethinking that position.

I honestly believe that at my exercise pace, 1200 calories, suggested by MFP AND my trainer, is too low. Even with eating back a portion of the exercise calories, I'm not really losing. On Friday, my off days, I ate 1200. Again, for me, I believe it's too low. I've also been watching DeeDee's posts on her big increase and subsequent smaller decreases to see how she's doing.

I'm nearing the end of my BSR training, and I'm hesitant to change my eating plan for fear of rocking the boat, but I'm doing it anyway. Once the race is over, I'm going to the TDEE method. For now, I'm upping my calories to 1500 (maybe 1400, I'll mess with that over the next week) and not taking into account exercise calories, so whether I do a lot or nothing, I'm sticking to 1400-1500 calories. I've noticed over the past few days of eating over 1200, I'm losing. I'm not logging it yet just to be sure it's going to stick.

I think the 1200 calorie net works for a period of time, to shed the really excess weight, but once you hit those plateaus, and they stick for a very long time, knowing there's NO WAY I can function on eating less, quite obviously you must need to eat more to fuel yourself.

I can't wait to try TDEE though.

Jackie
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options

Brooke from Colorado

“I’m not losing weight. I’m getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again.”

I love that!!! It's perfect.

Melanie, 56-yr-old Canadian (Montreal) working in Saudi Arabia

Me too, great quote!
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Viv in UK – Yay for 2 pounds gone!!! Sorry to hear you’ve caught “the crud”, I had it myself last week, so can definitely empathize – hope you feel much better very soon! :flowerforyou:

DeeDee – Oooh, lunch AND shopping AND hanging out with your daughter - - doesn’t get much better than that! Have a marvelous day :smile:

Grandmallie – I’ll say to you what I said to DeeDee, I sure wish there was a way to attach videos to these posts so we could see YOU with your furkid on your head :laugh:

Amanda – Hope you can manage to carve out some “me time” over the course of your weekend. You need to make sure to keep yourself on your own list! :tongue:

Melanie in Saudi – Thank you! I’m a collector of quotes and sayings, found my Word file the other day and thought I’d start using them on my signature lines. That quote seemed very apropos to this forum! Welcome here, check in often for wit and wisdom!

M. – prayers out to your manager, hoping for a positive diagnosis and speedy recovery from the exploratory surgery.

Tammy – thanks for sharing that website, I’m going to check it out as well

Tari – Way to keep at the exercise, it probably helps to have your cruise as a motivator. Don’t always rely on the scale to deliver the good news, I’ve found my clothes have given me quite a few happy surprises even when the scale wasn’t doing the same

Robin – How awesome for you and DH, I think your spending priorities are spot-on, things are just things, but travel provides experiences and memories that last a lifetime. Good luck on your job search too! :drinker:

Brooke from Colorado

“Wake up every morning with the thought that something wonderful is about to happen.”

exercise.png
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I'm short on time today, but I thought I'd post a link to my blog where I wrote about my first 50-yard-dash experience yesterday. Feel free to read it if you'd like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jb_2011/view/50-yard-dash-debut-517448

Make it a good day, getting rid of those pounds and not just losing them. I love that!

:smile: jb in cool, almost sunny Portland :glasses:
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    MELANIE:
    WHERE in Saudi do you work? I live in Egypt. Came to Saudi once for a visit when my daughter was there a few years ago.
    Do you live on a compound?
    Phyllis in Egypt
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, afternoon, and evening Ladies! It's almost Friday! It doesn't matter how old I get, I always feel 14 on a Friday.

Carol, I've hit a plateau, mesa, AND butte. I mean it's going on two months, I think, that I haven't lost an ounce. I've weaved up a few ounces or a pound, and then right back down to where it sticks. Every once in a while, I'll indulge on a Sunday brunch or a weekday dinner, but nothing to account for the scale totally not moving.

At first, I chalked it up to training, but I'm rethinking that position.

I honestly believe that at my exercise pace, 1200 calories, suggested by MFP AND my trainer, is too low. Even with eating back a portion of the exercise calories, I'm not really losing. On Friday, my off days, I ate 1200. Again, for me, I believe it's too low. I've also been watching DeeDee's posts on her big increase and subsequent smaller decreases to see how she's doing.

I'm nearing the end of my BSR training, and I'm hesitant to change my eating plan for fear of rocking the boat, but I'm doing it anyway. Once the race is over, I'm going to the TDEE method. For now, I'm upping my calories to 1500 (maybe 1400, I'll mess with that over the next week) and not taking into account exercise calories, so whether I do a lot or nothing, I'm sticking to 1400-1500 calories. I've noticed over the past few days of eating over 1200, I'm losing. I'm not logging it yet just to be sure it's going to stick.

I think the 1200 calorie net works for a period of time, to shed the really excess weight, but once you hit those plateaus, and they stick for a very long time, knowing there's NO WAY I can function on eating less, quite obviously you must need to eat more to fuel yourself.

I can't wait to try TDEE though.

Jackie

A number of the BB coaches swear you have to eat more, not less, especially when training hard or in an intense exercise program. They recommend adding 100 calories at a time until the scale moves, then sticking at that level. Meaning, add 100 calories/day for a week, weigh yourself, then if you're still the same, add another 100 calories, and so on.
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Quick note till tonight….
    I want to sincerely thank all of you that commented on my post about my calories, advice well taken and now I will need to do some tweaking. I really appreciate all the wonderful input! Xox

Viv and Grandmallie, I do hope you both swat that nasty bug and real better real soon!

Moxie- You may be on to something and maybe I need to invest in a scale. Often times, I do tend to guess instead if measuring, especially if I’m in a hurry.

Amanda- 192 pound loss, that is amazing! If I may ask, what do you eat?

Brooke- Love the quote !

50ishfoodie - Here is my favorite recipe for Wheat Berry Salad:

Wheat Berry Salad‏
    1 cup hard wheat berries
    1-2 dried bay leaves
    10 cups water
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon brown sugar ( I use Turbinado )
    salt and pepper
    1/2 cup artichoke hearts (bottled or frozen), chopped ( I use the marinated jar type )
    1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
    1/2 cup chopped green peppers
    1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    Place the wheat berries, bay leaf, and water in a large pot. Salt the water generously. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium. Place a lid on the pot and crack the lid open to let steam escape. Let the wheat berries boil for about 1 1/2 hours or till done. Keep checking and add more water as needed. After an hour of cooking, start checking the wheat berries for doneness. Remove from heat when wheat berries are done to your liking. Drain and set aside.
    In the same pot, heat olive oil. Add the minced garlic and let it sizzle for about 20 seconds. Turn off heat and let the oil cool a little. Then stir in white wine vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Add cooked wheat berries to pot and mix well. Then add all other ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate and serve cold.
    Makes 4 servings

Carol in WNY
  • delorescates
    Options
    Hello, my name is Delores. I'm in the mid-50's and needs support and motivation to lose weight. I am on 2 blood pressure pills and metformin for diabetes. :happy: