WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• Nonie2
    Nonie2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm returning to MFP after a couple of years of MIA. I'm 69 and am looking for some friends that are over the 50 mark. I need to lose about 50 lbs. Will "attempt" to keep up with this site this time. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,:flowerforyou:
    I was not able to read all the posts. Congrats to all that are losing, NSVS and with good motivation and dedication! Prayer’s to all who are struggling.
    I have been on a plateau. I have not figured out how to break it. Both of my doctors just said,oh,54 lbs,yes that sounds right,its hard! Well, thanks fort the help! I did intervals of fast/slow on the elliptical and it killed my knees.I did one interval on the recumbent bike too. I have read about inc calories,etc. So,much different ideas,I just need one that works
    I am about ready to trash this laptop as the space bar doesn’t work,so please excuse the run on words!
    I tried to do different exercise this weekend and I did. Gardening,raking,sweeping. Today, I am so sore and exhausted! So, this week I will hit the gym again and try to mix up the exercise! Wrist surgery coming up,May 8th! I am able to focus better on me when I do not have the work stress involved. So, while I am off work, I hoping to have better success!
    Anyway, my carpal tunnel is killing me today! Right now could not do this without pain pills.I also have to use them to exercise. Cant wait to get these surgerys over with so I can live pill free!
    Praying that everyone has a blessed, healthy, self caring week!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
    Today I am so thankful for my MFP friends. You keep me grounded and in the right direction.:heart: LindaS aka Sundanceb- San Diego

Jane \SD:flowerforyou: - prayers for your mom and you/family.
    Polly:flowerforyou: - so glad to see you back. Glad that you are feeling better. Hopefully, your sinus issue is fixed now!
    Barbie:flowerforyou: ,I read that 2000 steps is 100 calorie burn. Do you add this to your fitness diary? I am trying to figure out how this adds up so I can enter it into my fitness diary.
    Meg:flowerforyou: - no,I think I take top honors as an orthopedic nightmare! Lol. I think it has to do with trying to do so much, as when we were younger. Lol
    Jodios:flowerforyou: -I read your posts and just cant believe that you have 2 college aged children. You look too young in this picture! Your children are very lucky to have you as their mom!
    Yanniejannie:flowerforyou: - wow, your friend is amazing being able to do an ironman! I believe your are correct about surrounding yourself with active people!
    Rori:flowerforyou: -Cant imagine that you would be anxious with giving a speech? I thought that this was a part of your events? Cant help with the blender,sorry
    Katla:flowerforyou: - I have not caught up on all the posts, so what type of pain does your DH get acupressure for? I wouild be interested in this too! Anything, to not have to take pain meds for the rest of my life.
    Robin:flowerforyou: ,praying that all goes well for you and the prospect of the new job,is meant for you! Your trips sound so wonderful! I love traveling and have not done it since before I got married in 1994!
    Reallymary-:flowerforyou: praying for healing and comfort for Boston.
    Grandmallie:flowerforyou: - I bought the powdered chocolate pb,I like it as a snack with a banana. I need to try the plain powered pb.Let us know how you like it!
    DeeDee:flowerforyou: , you must be feeling much better as I can see that you walking time has increased! Did you wear your tiara today?
    Michele:flowerforyou: , I would go to the wedding and then go and explore Spain! Make it a fun trip for you and DH too! Hope you get your dress to the way you want it!
    JaneHadji-:flowerforyou: Iloved the pictures of your DD and DSIL! What a beautiful young lady. The setting was amazing and the pictures beautiful. I also really enjoyed their love story. Hope your DD is doing well. Really sad times for medicine when they miss a hhernia. Your parents are blessed to have you as their daughter!
    Amanda:flowerforyou: - so happy you are having sunny blue sky’s in London! Hope you are feeling better with the ibs.
    Linder:flowerforyou: - you are absolutely amazing. Thank you for motivating me!! I cant wait for my ticker to read
    “zero” pounds to lose!
    Kathy:flowerforyou: - you are doing a great job, and losing inches is also a great indication of your hard work! You rock!
    Renny,:flowerforyou: I love Victoria! The first time I traveled there was with one of my best girl friends. She was from Quebec. We saw the info about Buchart Gardens ,and we were like, oh how can a bunch of flowers be that great? We reluctantly paid the money to enter and to this day,I remember how beautiful the gardens were. So,glad that we did go and see them! You live in a lovely place!
    Bjmcg:flowerforyou: - 199 days,you are doing awesome! Keep up the good work!
    Brooke:flowerforyou: from Colorado - It was 90 degrees in our backyard and close to 80 today. I really like the sunny warm days until summer starts. The summer is long, humid and hot. The weather in San Diego has really changed. It did not used to get humid, until late September. Now,June,July and all the way into Oct can be miserable! This is when our air conditioning bill goes up to 400+ dollars/month. Brooke,I finally read your post and I feel the same way sometimes.Your post did make me cry, because I know exactly the way you feel. I will pray for you, that you will take time to give yourself the care that you need,so you can focus on you! You are so worth it!
    Mary in Tn:flowerforyou: - yes, we do get busy sometimes with life. Glad to see you back and have fun in Nashville!
    Sue in Tx:flowerforyou: - good to see you back! I started to read on page one to catch up,and finally just gave up and decided to just read backwards.Lol Congrats on doing really well on your vacation!
    Gonzamm-:flowerforyou: I am you! I have not care for myself since I had children. When I started MFP last July, this was the first time I started caring for myself! NO,you are not a terrible person for feeling this way! You deserve to think of yourself first and enjoy every moment of it!!
    Lucy in DE:flowerforyou: - YES,I agree with you and your views about the world right now. I also had a carefree,worry free childhood. One, my children will never know. When I hear and see of all the violence in the world, it makes me sad for my children. I think,’ WHAT kind of world have I brought them into?”
    Jmkmomm-:flowerforyou: my marriage is just like yours. My girls will ask me from time to time the same questions.My answers are similar to yours. Marriage is not an easy task. I have also worked part time since I had my girls,and with my work injurys, wellI would not do very well financially on my own.So,many things to consider and they say” women are just one step away from being homeless.” My Dh has many years of baggage from his childhood. He is able to say sorry, when he needs to and if I just keep working with him, I believe all will work out in the end!
    Cheryl,:flowerforyou: so glad to hear the good news about Jackson! I will keep praying! love the picture! Looks like somuch fun!
    Carol in WNY:flowerforyou: - thank you for what you shared with Brooke, as I need to have that positive outlook too! I believe,that I was in the right place at the right time so that I could read this too! Thank you!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Sundance, I'm so glad to hear from you again......you did quite an amazing post responding so thoughtfully to so many people.

for a long time I wore a heart rate monitor to find out how many calories I burned during my usual exercise and then used that information to calculate calorie burn now that I'm not using the HRM so the steps are part of the calories I claim for dog walking, line dancing, walking with Jake, and walking with friends.

about your plateau, have you considered leaving out processed foods and add more lean meat and vegetables?

:heart: Barbie
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi.Been busy moving and unpacking.
    Have a good night all.
    HUGS
    jane
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    katla - glad you had such a great day!

Geri - your gs is adorable!

DeeDee - oh, the fudge cake IS delish. I have it in the freezer right now, I'll ice it maybe Thurs night. They should be here Fri. night. We're going to have the end of the season bowling party at our house and we'll provide the burgers. Last year the lady got burgers at Sams. So to try them out, I'm thinking that while Kris and Jess are here, we'll have a cookout and I can try them out on them. Boy, I'm trying a lot out on them, the graham cracker bars (which I cut up this morning, they are quite good), the burgers.

barbie - thanks for the update about Joy

Meg - sorry you are in pain

Never did get to cleaning the railing on the deck. Today Vince and I worked outside cleaning the pool (or at least trying to get it clean, it'll take a while but it's getting there.). Did a little more of the landscaping. Tomorrow Vince is planning to put down fertilizer and seed on one part of the backyard. I'll go exercise, then have to stop at a friend's house, she has an extra old toothbrush that I'll use for the deck railing when I get to it, then I'll go to the post office to mail some packages out of the country, then have to take the donations to the soup kitchen, then home to put hay on the new grass seed. That reminds me that I need to get my donations ready to take, too.

Did an hour of balance games on the Wii today. Tomorrow I'll do yoga and then take the extremepump class.

Got a recipe for whoopie pies from Prevention Magazine. Made the cookies this morning, I'll put the filling in them probably Thurs. night.

yanniejannie - thanks for sharing that story about the runner. What an inspiration!

Gail - what is the difference between a half sister (or brother) and a step sister (or brother) I asked Kris about his stepbrother who lives near Boston and from what Kris has told us is a very trusting person, and Kris said "my halfbrother". I didn't think there was a difference!

Cheryl - glad to see you back on those beautiful horses

Nonie - welcome!

Linda - so sorry you're in such pain.

Said to Vince today "why don't we call Bryan?" He just answered "I have no desire to talk to him". But Vince is looking at flights so he's going to go to the wedding. I think it's because Denise wants to go and Denise out of the country? Heck, she doesn't even like going outside of PA! Also, I want to go. If it weren't for that, I don't think he'd go.

jane - when did you move? So happy for you. Tell us about this place when you get a chance.

Feeling a bit blue today. Tried to call Bryan, and as expected it went right to voice mail and as expected he won't call us back. Just knowing that at his wedding will probably be the last time I'll ever see him is making me so sad. I really need to get over this. But it's his choice.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    Yes i'm still alive and kicking not kicking to hard because the weight isn't coming off very fast a little .4 of a lb. at tops on Wed. I'm not weighing every day anymore. And I'll more than likely see that back tomorrow. I had a terrible weekend food wise. My fault I did it now undo it. But I'm so fed up of the undoing it. But if down pick up. Today was certainly better than yesterday and now to bed I go and will get up hopefully in the right frame of mind tomorrow.

See you all lighter tomorrow.
    Linda in northern ontario where the snow is slowly melting.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    Yes i'm still alive and kicking not kicking to hard because the weight isn't coming off very fast a little .4 of a lb. at tops on Wed. I'm not weighing every day anymore. And I'll more than likely see that back tomorrow. I had a terrible weekend food wise. My fault I did it now undo it. But I'm so fed up of the undoing it. But if down pick up. Today was certainly better than yesterday and now to bed I go and will get up hopefully in the right frame of mind tomorrow.

See you all lighter tomorrow.
    Linda in northern ontario where the snow is slowly melting.

I have missed you! I'm glad you're back. Stick with us, and we'll help you laugh about the fun times losing weight.

Katla
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    @ Wes Your dirty white girl looks like a real Arabian beauty to me! So glad you are riding again!
  • Katla49
    Options
    Poerava and all crab lovers: Dungoness crab is the very best crab on the planet, especially when fresh and eaten with friends.:bigsmile: I hope all of you will get the chance to have some one of these days.:flowerforyou:

wessecg: I’ll bet you can see my envy all the way from here without even having a picture. You and your ”dirty white girl” are lovely.:love: This is my sick with envy face.:sick:

Nonie2: Welcome back. This is a great group of supportive women.:flowerforyou:

LindaS: I hope your surgery goes well and you’re feeling better soon.:flowerforyou: DH has MS and lower back pain. His MS sometimes gives him severe muscle cramps and it sometimes makes walking painful. The acupuncture does more than relieve pain. It helps him move better, too.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I am hopeful that your son will eventually get past what ever is causing him to behave so rudely and resume positive contact with you. It may take some time and I’m sorry that you’re having such a bad time, now.:angry: It is lucky you have a daughter who is a positive part of your life.:heart::flowerforyou:

This has been a quiet day. I took a nap and haven’t exercised at all. :blushing: I’ll be going directly to the garage to ride the recumbent for a half hour before heading off to bed.:flowerforyou:

Katla the lazy in NW Oregon
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Viv: Good luck on your team building!! What kind of job do you have?:smile:

Phyllis in Egypt

:smile: Phyllis I work as an admin assistant in the Occupational Health Department at Nestle in York. The team building was not as bad as I thought - was quite fun actually. I've not done this before although some of the others had, something called MTBI (?) we all completed a questionnaire and the results told us our personalities and showed how we fit together as a team. Mine was quite accurate, in fact a few were quite accurate. We had a lovely meal on the evening - haven't logged the calories though :embarassed: :embarassed: I was going to but not sure what happened to Saturday and Sunday - didn't get chance to log or read the posts :noway: :noway:

:flowerforyou: Today is a lovely sunny day - a bit on the cold side - but it may warm up, it's still early yet. I'm going into town to buy a few bits and bobs with my mum, we go every second Monday, we usually stop off at a charity shop on the way home and I've gotten quite a few bargains from there, so always look forward to it. :laugh:

:grumble: I've put weight back on :embarassed: , my own fault what with the Italian on Friday and stuffing myself with biscuits yesterday - I need a kick up the back side!!!

Hey ho today is a new day and I WILL do better! Sorry I've not replied on a more personal level, but I'm thinking about you all my Vit F friends.

Happy Monday.

Viv York UK
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Hi wonderful ladies! It's been over a week since I have been able to sit down and post but I have just about been able to catch up with reading posts.

My heart and best wishes go to all affected by the terrible events in Boston. Such tales of courage and love coming from such a terrible act put in place by disturbed minds. I cried throughout watching the London marathon as I always do yesterday.The inspirational stories of the runners show that there is much more good in the world than evil. It was also reported that the crowds were eight times more than last year - an act of support and defiance from all. I was so proud - the route runs through the places I played as a child. Today is the third anniversary of my mothers passing - she was an air raid warden during the 2nd world War and was deeply affected by any bombings in London. Yet when I was a teenager and yet again there were bombings in London - she encouraged me to go on as normal and to have faith in the good in the world.

I was going to try to make individual responses today, but find I am a bit emotional today! So perhaps more generic?

I see so mamy responses as you wonderful ladies struggle to lose weight. Although it is so tempting to weigh every day on this journey please look more at the trend over months. Those little normal fluctuations can be so destructive. So keep making honest loggings eat well balanced nutritionally dense food and enjoy.

I have also made a diary about emotional eating to help plateaus. For this I would log what I was feeling when I ate. Sometimes it might show up stress eating, mindless picking at food whilst cooking. Secret eating - you know the type you nibble and you really don't know you are doing it! Lol Food is so embroiled with emotions and we women have plenty of those eh?

To all those having success I send a huge congratulations . To those feeling under the weather some friendship medicine and to those feeling sad some sunshine to brighten your day.

Keep smiling:smile:

Jo
    Uk Wales
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,802 Member
    Options
    Poerava,the picture on my ticker is of our home in Florida.
    was under my calorie count yesterday again and I have lost ounces, which I will take what I can get...
    yesterday was a busy day ,got up and went grocery shopping,came home put it away.then started cooking.
    I made the pina colada cake,made baked chicken, I bought some snacks for me, and put them in snack bags and labeled the calorie count on them.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies - back to grey skies and chilly in London.

I'm about to go and collect my dad for his hospital appointment and after that I am going to go and look at garden pods. Very excited about getting DH to finally agree to us getting one of these. http://www.johnlewis.com/home-garden/diy-home-decorating/garden-pods/c700007956/pg-view-all We will probably go for the middle choice.

Today is my only day off this week, so I have to try to pack everything in. I'm having my eyelash extensions done on Wednesday after work so I'm going off to buy some new eye shadows today. Having a stab at overhauling my image. My hair is well and truly blonde now - much to DH's disgust - he keeps telling me how much he loved my natural red hair. It took me 51 years to be brave enough to make any change to the colour of my hair, and I'm doing it for me. Being blonde has definitely made me feel cheerier. Before I lost weight, I hid behind very long hair and never would have found the courage to get it cut. Having shoulder length hair makes me feel like a different person – which is a good thing!

I will all you lovely vit fs a wonderful week if at all possible.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,802 Member
    Options
    back from the gym, only was there for 1/2 hr, just wasnt feeling it today,im going to try some of the free beginning Zumba video's on YouTube and see how that goes...
    I made this salad yesterday ,it is a bagged slaw salad called rainbow salad and I made the dressing and put it together ,and will take some of that for lunch today with an apple.you put a green apple,chopped walnuts in this salad, the dressing is light mayo,rice wine vinegar ,a tsp of splenda,salt and pepper to taste..
    I hope everyone enjoyed there weekend,,I will be working next Sat. so it is a normal week for me...thank goodness it is only until noon.
    Another thing,I will need a new swimsuit or 2 before our cruise,I don't want to buy them when I know I will be losing more weight.. any suggestion's?I have 3 suits now, but wont be putting on a bathing suit until October..:noway:
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good morning all
    Starting a new week lets make it a good one. It's my morning for care giving. I always enjoy that part of my day. Gets me out of the kitchen. Think i'm going to go back to no food at putter I think that would help.
    Like I said last night I only had a .4 of a loss for tops last week. I hadn't weighted since thursday. And I knew i was bad but ough 2.2 bad. So need to lose 1.8 to be a turtle on Wed. I need three good good days. I can still see a loss wed. if I put my mind and heart in to it. Heart is a big thing.
    Grandmaille
    Hope those swimsuits don't fit you by October.
    Losing ounces much better than nothing or a gain.

Amanda
    Enjoy your visit with your Dad.
    Your head if you like to be blonde so be it. My 70 year old aunt just had hers done in blond looks good.
    She said took a little getting used to. lol.

Nana Jo
    I can hear you and what a good idea of keeping a journal to show when and why you eat.
    I don't think any science will ever come out with the reason.
    I know a lot of mine is from boredom.

Viv
    Love those charity shops never know what you may find.
    Spring is coming it will warm up.

Michele
    Lucky you love exercise with all that cooking. I couldn't do it.
    For your son I don't know what to make of that.

Katla thanks for the warm welcome.

Well that's all I can answer to no time to take notes this morning. Just did those I can see under my post. Makes it much easier. Now to go warm up yesterday's left over oatmeal. Going to see that today is a great day. I'm the only person that can do that.
    Thanks for the vitamin F
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Vitamin F friends!:flowerforyou:

I only have a few minutes because I'm determined the couch will not see much of me today! It's a gorgeous day here and it's motivating me to make the best of it! Already knocked out half my to do list of phone calls, next exercise and dog walking, finally cleaning! Another motivator to get things done, is the fact if I get the job I'm interviewing for Wed., I will be starting the first full week of May if I get it and I have a lot to get done around here before then. My poor dogs are just getting used to me being around more since my other job ended. I will miss them tremendously but at least my DD will be around with them a little.

Grandmallie- Your rainbow salad sounds yummy!

LinCharpentie- You always sound so upbeat!

Wessecg- Love the new pic of you and your dirty white girl!:smile:

Nonie2- Welcome back!

Linda Sundance- I'll keep you in my prayers that you have a speedy recovery after surgery!!:flowerforyou:

Michele- You are right, that it's Bryan's choice but it certainly doesn't make it any easier for you! Just keep the lines of
    communication open and maybe things will eventually change for the better. I'm glad Vince changed his mind about
    going!

Amanda- How fun going blonde!

Off to get my stretching yoga in before I lose my motivation!

Have a great one!

Kathy:drinker:
  • Katla49
    Options
    Amanda: The Pods are fascinating. Are they designed fro protection from wind? That is what I’m guessing.:flowerforyou:

Lin C: I’m thinking about the concept of frequent smaller meals. No food at the computer does make sense. I bring coffee. I used to sweeten with a scant teaspoon of sugar but have switched to stevia. I find that I like the liquid kind and don’t like the powder. There are places where I tend to always have food. The computer hasn’t ever been one of them, but the TV is another matter. :blushing: Since I started this journey, the TV zone has become much less calorie laden. :laugh:

Linda Sundance: You are in my prayers, as is your surgeon that his skills are at their very best for you.:flowerforyou:

My spinach is up and very funny looking. It has two grass like spears of green. :huh: Some of the little plants also have one tiny leaf that looks like it is spinach shaped. I’m taking it as a good sign. :smile: I’ve never grown spinach before.
    We have a glorious day today and I’m trying to think about how to put some fun into it. DH made a mistake and took his insulin twice this morning, so what ever we do, it will have to be near food for a while.:grumble:

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Earth day`
    Spending the day with Violet and going grocery shopping for healthy foods for the new house.
    We are renting a home in Channahon,Il(farm area).We had to leave the house we were staying with a friend of ours.The house is a temp till we find something more permanent.1st time in almost 2 years I get to go thur my stuff from our house of 17 years.
    Poor hubby is doing 95%himself.It`s hard as he`s working over nights and still has to sleep.So it may take a week or more to move everything.
    Hope everyone is doing ok.Hav`t had a chance to read any posts.
    HUGs'jane
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Ladies! I see this board is picking up even more. I'm going to try to address some of you later today. I have a new work computer, and went from Windows 7 to, like, Windows 950,002 or something. I cannot believe how different this version of Windows is, so now, instead of actually doing my work, I have to address my computer. I should be able to copy/paste into a Word document my responses today since my butt is virtually glued to my seat to get this done.

I did an 8-mile run Saturday and my time was one minute/mile faster than what I hope to run the Broad Street Run, and I've got a 9-mile long run this Saturday. The run is then the following Sunday, so I'm confident that I'll finish having not walked, and well under the pace I set for myself. My ex-husband is not happy that my teenager wants to see me finish at the finish line, which is the Philadelphia Navy Yard. I understand his fear, but I'm not inclined to agree with him, although I'm not sure what I'll do. She watched me train since early February, accompanied me on a few 5k's, and mentioned the other day how "glad I am my mother is a runner"--this, from an almost-fifteen-year-old daughter.

I'm also a bit surprised at the immaturity of men these days. It seems many of the posters here are married, but for you single ones, are men our age a bit like adolescents? I've met a few guys, the most recent last Saturday, and we hit it off--but it seems the expectation these days is sex, and pretty quickly--like in the first few dates! I am kind of surprised by this, considering we are kind of in the age group where tradition and history dictated a more important role in sex than simply "doing it for fun." So I find because I'm not the casual sex or FWB type, men are simply not interested after a handful of dates. It's a lucky thing my life is as good as it is and I don't think it matters to me one way or the other if I have a significant other, but I do find it funny that now, just as in high school and college, most seem more interested in sex than in a relationship!

Sorry if that's TMI, but I'm thinking I'm not the only single female with this experience. On a good note, it feels pretty decent to know they find me attractive enough to want sex, lol.

Seize the day ladies! Seize the day!

Jackie in Cherry Hill Outside of Philly
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good morning from snowy SD. Working, so don't have a lot of time. Gotta get mom from the hospital this afternoon. But, ran across this great article and thought I'd share. Enjoy!

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2013/04/22/tackling-diet-exercise-together-produces-best-results-study