At what age do you draw the line on being a bridesmaid?

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

And wear white lol...

Oh, I'm doing it... and I'll be the youngest one at 37 ;-)
  • odusgolp
    Options
    You WILL be my personal attendant in my wedding if I choose to have something. Wrap your head around it now.

Wait... I thought I was standing up in the wedding? Did you just demote me b*tch?? I agreed to yellow taffeta for you!!!!

I think we decided on orange??... and of course you can stand up with me. Just don't outshine me with your hooters.

Puh-lease!! You jubblies will always be jubblier than mine!
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you really care about the person getting married, suck it up, Buttercup. It isn't about YOU.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm 36, and I still consider it an honor to be asked. I wouldn't say no unless it was in a location I simply could not afford, like Hawaii or Mexico. I'd probably decline and explain I didn't want to make that commitment to the bride when there's a chance I wouldn't be able to afford it. It wouldn't be fair to her.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Some of my good friends haven't met the right person yet and now they are pushing 40. They were in my wedding and if they found the right guy I'd be thrilled for them and thrilled to be in their wedding, at almost 40. I feel like saying "no" would be weird, as if I'm saying that they don't deserve to have all of their best-friends in their wedding because we're not "maids" anymore.

So, I don't have a cut off age for having the honor of being in one of my friend's weddings...whenever it may be.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    If you really care about the person getting married, suck it up, Buttercup. It isn't about YOU.

Oh, I'm WELL aware that there's NOTHING on the face of the earth more important than the bride :flowerforyou:
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have only been in one wedding, sadly! It was my good friend, though.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I have only been in one wedding, sadly! It was my good friend, though.

that settles it! You can be in my third wedding :)
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well Im getting married again within a year and Im in my late 40's. My matron of honor just died (age 47) suddenly in Feburary and her husband is going to stand in for her at my wedding. My other maid of honor is 48. So guess we are going to be really unusual because I will have a man of honor now and a maid of honor!
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....well I've actually never BEEN a bridesmaid. My best friends are either living in sin, or patiently awaiting proposals. I'm hoping they don't put me in something horrific. It might just be the one wedding honestly, and I'm totally okay with it!
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    as a man i don't understand why age matters at all? if the bride (your friend) is getting married at 40 isn't it a bit selfish to think 40 is too old to be a bridesmaid? aren't you supposed to be there for your friend?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I made the decision last April that the wedding I was in on May 5th was my last one ever. I am over the whole being a bridesmaid thing, I am for sure over freaking bridezillas being all crazy and chit. I just want to show up, eat your food and dance.

And I am for sure over being asked to be a bridesmaid then being told which 300 dollar dress and 200 dollar pair of shoes to buy. I paid for all the dresses and shoes at my wedding. I did not expect someone to pay to be a part of my day, especially since I wanted the dresses and shoes that I wanted. The average people are spending, travel, gift, dress, shoes hair an make up is almost a thousand dollars these days. Thats crazy.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If a friend should ask, I will happily oblige for as long as I'm alive.

Being a bridesmaid is about a lot more than one day. It is about loving, supporting, and helping a friend during an incredibly stressful time. Planing a wedding can take a year or more, and even planning a small wedding can get crazy. If a friend wants my help, whether she needs it or not, she gets it.
  • sdleischner
    sdleischner Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    its not a thing of age................ its supporting your best friend on one of the most important days of thier lives!!! im 28 and getting married this summer my maids range in age from 21 to late mid 30's. i am hounred to have everyone of them stand for me. i would do the same for them no matter how old i am.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    for friends or family, and for free wine, it's a small price to pay at any age :)
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    tumblr_m6i55eEMki1ra6g87o1_400.jpg

I would totally be a bridesmaid in this wedding. But only this one.
  • cmjanssen
    Options
    My grandmother was my matron of honor and she was 70. She contributed the most in my life to that point and was very honored to be that big of a part of my special day!!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Do you have an age where you can't imagine being a bridesmaid in a full on, big puffy white dress, 250 guests, formal wedding? Have you ever said no to someone?

I hate to say it, but I have no desire to be in an attendant in a wedding again. Maybe if it was a small destination wedding type affair, but in a formal, church thing, I can't imagine taffeta, bouquets and up-do's anymore.
    I've only every been in 2... But my older sister, who will be 45 this year, has been in a ton of weddings. She told me yesterday that she's in one this coming May. I'm starting to wonder if she has a closet-full of these dresses, "27 Dresses" style...

ETA, I'm getting married in September and my best friend is going to be my only "bridesmaid" and she'll be 44 by then.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    for friends or family, and for free wine, it's a small price to pay at any age :)

BWAHAHA! You have a good point on the wine :)
  • jendavis07
    Options
    I would do it no matter what, it's not about the bridal party but the Bride & Groom's big day. You will do it because you want to support them and that's why they ask you! :flowerforyou: