How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• brisr001
    brisr001 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    W2D2 done, bit of a struggle due to asthma/breathing which is my biggest concern in doing C25k, I feel the my asthma has always held me back from getting serious cardio.... No longer!!! If it means repeating days until I have built it up I will!!!
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    W4d2 done!! No extra walking in between the jogs either. I'm so happy with what I was able to do!

Nice job Eeyore!!
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I start week 4 today. I am so intimidated by the amount of running involved in this week. I was struggling during the 3 min intervals last week. Trying to figure out how I'm gonna make it through the 5 min ones this week... I have a feeling I will be doing some extra hard praying this week!!! Lol!!
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Options
    I start week 4 today. I am so intimidated by the amount of running involved in this week. I was struggling during the 3 min intervals last week. Trying to figure out how I'm gonna make it through the 5 min ones this week... I have a feeling I will be doing some extra hard praying this week!!! Lol!!

You can do it! I did w4d1 on Saturday and struggled a little bit, but was surprised that I could actually do it. I did w4d2 last night and it seemed like a breeze compared to Saturday. Just try and focus on some music. I ended up adding an extra minute of walking after the 1st 5 minute run and the 2nd 3 min run on Sat. I was able to do the normal schedule walk/run yesterday.
  • DoctorHuman
    Options
    Just done week 1 day 2 :-) loving the training. Hope everyone else is getting on well
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Did week 4 day 1 of C25K. It was hard..so very hard. I made it through the first 3 min run interval & I actually made it through the 5 min run. But I was near tears and my lungs and legs were on fire. During the next 3 min run I could only go for 90 sec. I was ready to kick myself and scream FAILURE!! Then I realized I had the treadmill on an incline.... Not much of one but enough to make a difference. I finished out the 2nd 5 min run. It wasn't pretty, it was sloppy as heck, BUT GLORY TO GOD IT GOT DONE!!!
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Options
    Great job everyone!!!
  • Otrogen
    Otrogen Posts: 65
    Options
    Did week 4 day 1 of C25K. It was hard..so very hard. I made it through the first 3 min run interval & I actually made it through the 5 min run. But I was near tears and my lungs and legs were on fire. During the next 3 min run I could only go for 90 sec. I was ready to kick myself and scream FAILURE!! Then I realized I had the treadmill on an incline.... Not much of one but enough to make a difference. I finished out the 2nd 5 min run. It wasn't pretty, it was sloppy as heck, BUT GLORY TO GOD IT GOT DONE!!!

D: Girl if it's killing you like that, you're going too fast. You should be going slow enough that you could actually carry on with conversation while you run. Try it out and say a few full sentences, and if you can't do that relatively easily, slow down! At my weight, when I first started tracking by breathing effort instead of what I thought I SHOULD be doing and thus slowed waaaay down, I was running 17+ minute miles. People told me what I was doing wasn't even running, but I didn't listen to their negativity and I kept going. I'm at the end of the program now and still slow as a snail, doing 15 minute miles, but I keep going!

Speaking of which, modified version of it that I'm doing now, Week 8, Day 1.5. I ran 1.5 miles today in 22 mins 30 secs. Tomorrow I'm aiming for 2 miles at least, and I go by time so 35 minutes is what I'll hit.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

D: Girl if it's killing you like that, you're going too fast. You should be going slow enough that you could actually carry on with conversation while you run. Try it out and say a few full sentences, and if you can't do that relatively easily, slow down! At my weight, when I first started tracking by breathing effort instead of what I thought I SHOULD be doing and thus slowed waaaay down, I was running 17+ minute miles. People told me what I was doing wasn't even running, but I didn't listen to their negativity and I kept going. I'm at the end of the program now and still slow as a snail, doing 15 minute miles, but I keep going!

Speaking of which, modified version of it that I'm doing now, Week 8, Day 1.5. I ran 1.5 miles today in 22 mins 30 secs. Tomorrow I'm aiming for 2 miles at least, and I go by time so 35 minutes is what I'll hit.

Best. Advice. Ever.
  • brisr001
    Options
    Does a little dance... W2D3 done done done done... Reeeeeally pushed myself in the last run interval too... woot woot....
  • DoctorHuman
    Options
    How's everyone getting on? By the sounds of it you are all doing really well. I've just completed week 1 and feel loads better.
  • Axe34
    Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started June 19 and ran my first 5K two weeks ago, my first 10K last Friday and my first 15K this week.

I also registered for my first race, a half-marathon, this October.

I'm 41 and was 30 pounds overweight when I started. I've dropped almost 20 pounds, four inches off my waist and 20 points off my blood pressure (I also made huge dietary changes too.)

Here's the Top 10 things I've learned along the way.

1. Just getting out the door is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome when you first start. Once you're out, you're golden.

2. If you're new to running, use a program like Couch25K. Don't just throw on sneakers and run until you can't run any more. You'll end up injured and/or discouraged.

3. The first month is hard. It seems like it will never get easier. It won't, but it will be a new type of hard. An enjoyable hard.

4. Even if you've only started running, call yourself a runner. You are.

5. There are few things as beautiful as a woman running with a ponytail flying behind her.

6. Set goals. They motivate you and track your progress. Celebrate when you hit them.

7. Running won't solve non-health problems by itself, but it will give you the time and space to solve them on your own.

8. Remember to build in rest days. Your body needs to recover to keep you physically and mentally motivated.

9. When you think you're about to hit your limit, you usually find out you're nowhere close to it.

10. There is greatness in everyone. You have to decide if you're going to go look for it or turn your head and look away. It's entirely up to you.

And one bonus one....your body will never lie to you but your brain sure as hell will.
  • brisr001
    Options
    Thanks for that Axe, I can never hear this stuff enough, sometimes I just need a reminder
  • meghan_lovely
    meghan_lovely Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I started June 19 and ran my first 5K two weeks ago, my first 10K last Friday and my first 15K this week.

I also registered for my first race, a half-marathon, this October.

I'm 41 and was 30 pounds overweight when I started. I've dropped almost 20 pounds, four inches off my waist and 20 points off my blood pressure (I also made huge dietary changes too.)

Here's the Top 10 things I've learned along the way.

1. Just getting out the door is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome when you first start. Once you're out, you're golden.

2. If you're new to running, use a program like Couch25K. Don't just throw on sneakers and run until you can't run any more. You'll end up injured and/or discouraged.

3. The first month is hard. It seems like it will never get easier. It won't, but it will be a new type of hard. An enjoyable hard.

4. Even if you've only started running, call yourself a runner. You are.

5. There are few things as beautiful as a woman running with a ponytail flying behind her.

6. Set goals. They motivate you and track your progress. Celebrate when you hit them.

7. Running won't solve non-health problems by itself, but it will give you the time and space to solve them on your own.

8. Remember to build in rest days. Your body needs to recover to keep you physically and mentally motivated.

9. When you think you're about to hit your limit, you usually find out you're nowhere close to it.

10. There is greatness in everyone. You have to decide if you're going to go look for it or turn your head and look away. It's entirely up to you.

And one bonus one....your body will never lie to you but your brain sure as hell will.

Amazing advice!! I just finished W4 D1 this morning and it felt great. I know it is not always going to feel this good but I can feel myself get stronger. The app on my phone helps tremendously. And reading this type of stuff on MFP, obviously!
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    Options
    I tried day 1 last week! Managed to do it all but groin pains and shin splints hurt for like 3 days after! Going to retry soon! Also starting T25 next week which should build some strength
  • SadieBabie
    SadieBabie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm looking to start C25K myself, any beginners tips?!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is week 3 day 3 for me. I never thought I would look forward to my running days, but I do. I weight train on my off days. I have actually gone on a 22 mile bike ride and come home, rested a bit and go for my run/walk. Never thought I could do that either. I am 58 years old and the last time I tried running was 20 years ago. I did it all wrong and failed. I didn't stretch before and after each run, and didn't start off slow. This time I feel great. Looking forward to week 4.
  • meghan_lovely
    meghan_lovely Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I'm on week 4... so definitely not an expert but what made a huge difference for me are good running shoes and taking a rest day in between runs. Good luck, it has really worked for me so far.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Run slow! Like you can walk fast slow.

Good shoes, stretching. I prefer dynamic stretches before a run. Try every run when it comes up. You might suprose yourself, even ifyou think you can't do it. If you tried it and you just weren't there yet, no shame in repeating a day or week.
  • jlc041979
    jlc041979 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday and have made it through the first couple of days. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I'm very pleased with myself for getting through the first two workouts!