How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    beattie....I think rest is a good idea. Take care :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I only have week 8, day 3 left! :noway:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    beattie....I think rest is a good idea. Take care :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Thanks Maureen!
    I'm poised with my congratulations for you very soon....... :smile:
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Joreanasaurous! I'll try that out and see if it helps!!
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just did w2d1 this morning (did week 1 last week of course). I found w1 easy but w2 seems a lot harder to me. I was so glad when it was over! Then again I felt that way for w1d1 too.
  • ar157
    ar157 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just finished W1D2 and I don't know if it was because it was hotter out there today or if I was just extra sluggish but it was a lousy run for me, felt ready for the running intervals to be done as they started. Hoping after reading your post that it was just an off day and the "joy" will return on the next run.
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Options

Great video. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try the stretching tomorrow morning before my run.
  • kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just finished W4D1!! I've been doing the running at 6.0 on the treadmill, but halfway through the last 5 min I decreased the speed to 5.5. At 1 min renaining I increased it back up to 6.0. So far loving the program and I can really see a difference in my endurance. Keep it up everyone!
  • missemmapeel
    missemmapeel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this group. Hi everyone, I went on my second run of my life yesterday.

I was the girl in gym class that opted for a 4 km speed walk rather than the 1km run. I do remember a run or two from elementary school, and enjoying them, but that is it for running history.

I downloaded the C25K app and went for my first run (okay, joggle) on Sunday. I've been exercising almost every day since having my daughter last summer, so I found it pretty easy and even started running a little early and keeping running after the automated wench told me to stop. Oh, and I didn't think to turn around when she told me I was halfway finished, so I did a km extra at the end to get home.

Then the shin splints let me know 0 to 5km in one fell swoop was not the best idea.

I went out for a second run yesterday and jumped ahead to Week 2 day 1. This was a lot harder, but manageable, and I think I'll try week 3, day 1 tomorrow to see if that's where I should be starting at.

Am I totally crazy to jump ahead like this? I want to try running (or walking, or joggling) a 5k with friends on August 18 so I'm feeling the need to get going.

And I got new shoes to try to help with the sore shins...

So glad to see there are so many running beginners out there, I'm really excited about this new thing!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Great video. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try the stretching tomorrow morning before my run.

Glad you liked it. :) I do it with a few other stretches and think it helps a lot. I noticed since I started stretching my shoulders don't tense up as much at the end.

__

I did W9D1 today after taking a few days off. 3 miles and I was dying and struggling the first half, but the second half was easy. I just got in a rhythm and felt like I had even more in me.
  • gsop22
    gsop22 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just started C25K this week. Just finished day 2 today.
  • bouuncyball
    bouuncyball Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just finished W1, and I'm feeling surprisingly good! I'm actually looking forward to moving on to the next stage, which I didn't think would happen.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this group. Hi everyone, I went on my second run of my life yesterday.

I was the girl in gym class that opted for a 4 km speed walk rather than the 1km run. I do remember a run or two from elementary school, and enjoying them, but that is it for running history.

I downloaded the C25K app and went for my first run (okay, joggle) on Sunday. I've been exercising almost every day since having my daughter last summer, so I found it pretty easy and even started running a little early and keeping running after the automated wench told me to stop. Oh, and I didn't think to turn around when she told me I was halfway finished, so I did a km extra at the end to get home.

Then the shin splints let me know 0 to 5km in one fell swoop was not the best idea.

I went out for a second run yesterday and jumped ahead to Week 2 day 1. This was a lot harder, but manageable, and I think I'll try week 3, day 1 tomorrow to see if that's where I should be starting at.

Am I totally crazy to jump ahead like this? I want to try running (or walking, or joggling) a 5k with friends on August 18 so I'm feeling the need to get going.

And I got new shoes to try to help with the sore shins...

So glad to see there are so many running beginners out there, I'm really excited about this new thing!

I think it's a mistake to jump ahead - especially if you've had shin splints or any other injury. You may feel ready for it, but your body needs to get used to what you're asking of it. Don't skip your rest days either!

I'm off the program (was on week 8) while my knee heals (I got "runners knee" and can barely walk at the moment) and when I eventually get back into it I'll be starting right from the beginning and doing every week at least twice to help my body get accustomed to what I want to do.

More haste, less speed - good luck and go slow!!!
  • Byars5
    Byars5 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I just started C25K and just finished W2D1 and my shins are hurting so bad that when i finished i could barely walk. What is the deal???? ANy suggestions? I really don't want to quit or rest a week or two as I am very motivated and that is rare.
  • jimmyb_
    jimmyb_ Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi, I just started C25K and just finished W2D1 and my shins are hurting so bad that when i finished i could barely walk. What is the deal???? ANy suggestions? I really don't want to quit or rest a week or two as I am very motivated and that is rare.

I just started myself.. still on week 1 which i started all over because I hurt my knee the first day out...

most likely it's your shoes if you don't already have a proper pair... i got a pair of adidas boston 3s on clearance at a local sporting goods store for $30 and it made a world of difference.. it literally feels like i'm bouncing on a cloud when comparing to my old shoes.

running is pretty traumatic on your body... especially your legs... proper shoes with cushioning and support will help prevent all kinds of injuries
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Options

Glad you liked it. :) I do it with a few other stretches and think it helps a lot. I noticed since I started stretching my shoulders don't tense up as much at the end.

__

I did W9D1 today after taking a few days off. 3 miles and I was dying and struggling the first half, but the second half was easy. I just got in a rhythm and felt like I had even more in me.
    Way to go!!! I'm sure w9d2 will be a breeze!!
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Options
    I was supposed to do w3d2 this morning, but my hubby told me too late that he had to leave early so I may do it tonight or get it in tomorrow morning. My lower legs were a little sore this morning from my walk yesterday. We have a walk challenge starting on Monday at work so we were given pedometers on Tuesday. I logged over 16,000 steps yesterday. It's nice to have the added motivation to get out and move. Hopefully my legs will be ready to go tomorrow.
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Will be doing Week 2 Day 2 tonight!!! :happy:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

If you can go to a running store. They can watch the way you walk and run and give you suggestions for shoes that work for your specifically.

Also maybe google running form and see if something is off? Like are you handing on your heel or something?
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 2 Day 2 ok C25K. ALL glory goes to God! I was calling on Him by the second run interval. It was only because of His strength that this body was able to complete it. Thank you Father!