How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This time last year, I started running without c25k. I couldn't run more than 30 seconds at a time. And that was really more of a slow jog then a run. I was about 275 lbs. I kept at it and worked my self up to jogging a mile at a time. The farthest I went without stopping was 2.25 miles. I did 1 5K and had to walk a good bit of it (lots of hills and I had been jogging on a flat surface, also I hadn't even ran a mile straight at that point). I finished in 50 minutes...I cried like a baby when I finished! I couldn't believe I had actually done it!! I kept jogging...running through extreme foot pain (I have plantar fasciitis & have shoe inserts to help with it) but wasn't eating as good as I should have. I did my 2nd 5K 1 1/2 months after after my 1st and had a worse time than I did before. I felt defeated. I thought I should get better by at least a minute..not getting slower!! To make it worse I had an horrible flare up of plantar fasciitis and couldn't (literally) walk for almost 2 days. It was at that point I hung it up. I just gave it all up! My weight grew to 290lbs...I let my addiction to food rule my life. I outgrew almost all my clothes in my closet. Felt like a sad pathetic mess.

2 weeks ago, after much prompting from the Holy Spirit, I decided enough was enough I was over letting my weight, food addiction & past failures rule my life. I was going to start this thing again and I WAS going to finish it!! I began reading (really listening on audiobook) Made To Crave by Lysa TerKeurst. I learned about the link between our spiritual walk and our physical walk with the Lord. I started eating right and joined a gym. I lost 6.4 lbs in the first week. I tried running on the treadmill and was suprised when I was able to run for a minute at a time at 4.5 mph! I began thinking.. I may actually be able to do this running thing again! I kept at it for another week, walking with spurts of running. I lost 1 lb in my next week (which ended yesterday). Great thing is I didn't let that defeat me! I choose to let it motivate me!! I decided I've got to do more and really get real about this. 4 days a week at the gym will help when I'm trying to maintain...but I need 6 days if I'm losing! I decided to start C25K, set up a definite plan & sign up for a 5K in the fall to give myself something to look forward to! I even signed up for a 6 week bootcamp class that will meet 3 days a week. On the days I'm not doing to boot camp I will do C25K. The bootcamp starts in a couple weeks, which is perfect. It will mean I will end C25K & the bootcamp at the same time!

Anyway, I said all that to say this. I started C25K last night and was able to run the entire time at an average of 5mph during the running intervals! I give all the glory to God! I am able to walk today with no pain but most importantly I have hope! I know, through & with God, I will be able to finish the task ahead of me. My ultimate goal is to run a half marathon. I know I will need to get a good portion of my weight off before I can do that. But its coming! This I know for sure, because I am not relying on my own strength to get it done. On my on I am but a weak and frail human being, but through God I can do ANYTHING!!!!!!!

I just want to add that you are an inspiration to me:)
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Okay So I am week 1 day 3, Going to the gym after work to get on the treadmill. I feel like a turtle though because I am jogging at a snail's pace (3.3 mph). My shins hurt pretty bad. Any words of encouragement out there? I am used to walking alot. I also do zumba twice a week, along with body combat as well twice a week. I should be losing a ton of weight but it is going nowhere.

The pain is temporary! Its just muscles protesting because they aren't used to being used in such a way! If the pain gets worse though you may need to look into a new pair of running shoes!

Thanks. Have to admit I do need new sneakers. I am wearing New Balance (my favorite) but they are old. I have another pair of New Balance but don't like the way they feel. Any suggestions? I researched new sneakers Nike has a pair that are supposed to be good?

I wish I had a suggestion for you as far as shoes go! I'm currently wearing year old sketchers myself! Lol!! Try finding a store near you that specializes in running gear & shoes! They can examine your gait and tell you which shoes are best for you!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Okay So I am week 1 day 3, Going to the gym after work to get on the treadmill. I feel like a turtle though because I am jogging at a snail's pace (3.3 mph). My shins hurt pretty bad. Any words of encouragement out there? I am used to walking alot. I also do zumba twice a week, along with body combat as well twice a week. I should be losing a ton of weight but it is going nowhere.

You don't really have much in the way of muscles in your shins. If you had pain in your calves or thighs I'd agree that it could be muscles. I think you should look up shin splints. In fact I've done this for you!
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beating-injury/shinsplints---how-to-beat-them/234.html
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

See if what these articles describe matches your problem. I think you may have to rest until they get better.
  • beattie1
    Options
    Have you found the Couch to 5k group on here? There are lots of useful "sticky" threads that kind people who know more than I do have created. There's one on injuries -
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976328-running-injuries

If you scroll down to 6th May, rduhlir wrote -
    May 06, 2013 3:12 pm
    Hey all....

Today's topic is Shin Splints.

What are Shin Splints?
    Known to the medical community as "Tibial Stress Syndrome", shin splints are referred to as pain along or just behind the tibia (shinbone).

What causes them?
    >>Excessive force on the shinbone and the connective tissues and muscles. Major contributing factors include:
    ~Running downhill
    ~Running on a slant or tilted surface
    ~Worn-out footwear
    >>Also caused by the "terrible toos"
    ~Too Hard
    ~Too Fast
    ~Too Long

Symptoms
    >>Tenderness, soreness, or pain along the tibia.
    >>Mild swelling in lower leg.

Risk Factors
    >>Being a runner (especially beginners).
    >>Flat feet or rigid arches
    >>Increased Intensity

Tests and Diagnosis
    >>Usually diagnosed on past history. Many times can self diagnose.
    >>Medical tests might be needed if pain is severe to rule out stress fractures.

Treatment
    >>Yup, you guessed it! R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation)
    >>Rest--avoid the activities that caused the pain. But do not stop exercising. If you develop pain while doing C25K in the form of a shin splint then cross train with an elliptical or bike until the pain has eased, then go back into the program Cross-training will help you keep your aerobic fitness while you allow your legs to heal.
    >>Ice--Ice the area for 15-20 minutes four to eight times a day for a few weeks, or until the pain has eased.
    >>Reduce Swelling--elevate the leg, and use compression sleeves.
    >>Over-the-counter medication--use them to help reduce the pain.
    >>Wear proper shoes.

Prevention
    >>Wear footwear that is for running. Replace shoes every 300-500 miles.
    >>Arch Supports: especially for flat feet.
    >>Lessen impact - crosstrain with a sport that places less stress on your shins.
    >>Strength train
    >>At first sign of pain, stop and rest.

Information source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shin-splints/DS00271
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Glad it is not just me beattie! :wink: Who knows....I may have to repeat this week? Have not repeated any days at all so far. I guess we will see how the next run goes.
  • beattie1
    Options
    Glad it is not just me beattie! :wink: Who knows....I may have to repeat this week? Have not repeated any days at all so far. I guess we will see how the next run goes.
    I guess we have our good days and our not-so-good days Maureen. Next week is only a small step up -see how it goes. I need to do W7 one more time, maybe Friday or Saturday - I'll see how I feel.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Jumping the gun... A lot. But tomorrow I am signing up for my first half marathon! It is in the end of March.... So ideally I should be ready by then!
  • beattie1
    Options
    Jumping the gun... A lot. But tomorrow I am signing up for my first half marathon! It is in the end of March.... So ideally I should be ready by then!
    Wow! that's ambitious! I'm impressed! You've got plenty of time for training anyway :happy:
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    Well I wasn't planning on going today but it is supposed to rain tomorrow so I went and did week 7, day 3 and I killed it! :drinker: I just felt good on the run today! I felt like I had the energy and didn't feel like I had to stop, it was awesome, lol Not every run is like that...like I said I struggled Sun and Tues. I guess there are just good days and not so good days. Today was a good day and I feel great! :bigsmile:
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    Joreanasaurou good for you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • silverstarrlyte
    silverstarrlyte Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi... if you get the free app RunDouble, it will give you the prompts, but you can listen to ANY program that has music, or whatever. I listen to stories on Audible... the prompts just come in over what ever you are listening too... It is GREAT. It tracks everything, miles calories, maps it... GREAT app. I love it. I am on W3D2 tomorrow... Feel free to add me!:happy:
  • JustMyImagiNAYtion
    JustMyImagiNAYtion Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start tomorrow! Super nervous! But i'd love the support and advice!

Is there a specific app anyone/everyone uses?
  • JustMyImagiNAYtion
    JustMyImagiNAYtion Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi... if you get the free app RunDouble, it will give you the prompts, but you can listen to ANY program that has music, or whatever. I listen to stories on Audible... the prompts just come in over what ever you are listening too... It is GREAT. It tracks everything, miles calories, maps it... GREAT app. I love it. I am on W3D2 tomorrow... Feel free to add me!:happy:

Welp! That just answered my question.. THANKS! i just downloaded this app!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Welp! That just answered my question.. THANKS! i just downloaded this app!

I am using RunDouble too and have been really happy with it. I bought a few other programs on it as well so I can bridge to a 10k and then a half when I am done with C25K.

Good luck on starting! You can do it! Just remember to run slow.
  • fitgalin22
    fitgalin22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    W1D2 accomplished! :happy: I felt good running and for the first 14 mins I was like I got this and around 16-18 mins my mind was encouraging my body to continue. I motivated myself to continue by saying only 9 mins left, 8 mins left, 7...and that so made my night after finishing. I was looking at the following weeks and they seem :noway:. I will be looking forward to when those weeks come along for me. :happy: Happy C25k-ing!:tongue:
  • beattie1
    Options
    Well I wasn't planning on going today but it is supposed to rain tomorrow so I went and did week 7, day 3 and I killed it! :drinker: I just felt good on the run today! I felt like I had the energy and didn't feel like I had to stop, it was awesome, lol Not every run is like that...like I said I struggled Sun and Tues. I guess there are just good days and not so good days. Today was a good day and I feel great! :bigsmile:

That's wonderful to hear! I'm so glad you got a good day and are ready to go on to week 8. Are you doing an 8 week program or does yours last for 9? Mine is 9 weeks.
  • beattie1
    Options
    W1D2 accomplished! :happy: I felt good running and for the first 14 mins I was like I got this and around 16-18 mins my mind was encouraging my body to continue. I motivated myself to continue by saying only 9 mins left, 8 mins left, 7...and that so made my night after finishing. I was looking at the following weeks and they seem :noway:. I will be looking forward to when those weeks come along for me. :happy: Happy C25k-ing!:tongue:

That's great news! When you get to those weeks that are still in the future you'll probably find that they're within your capabilities because the program builds up your endurance, muscles and lung power slowly. You can repeat any days or weeks until you're ready to move on - this isn't a race.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options

You don't really have much in the way of muscles in your shins. If you had pain in your calves or thighs I'd agree that it could be muscles. I think you should look up shin splints. In fact I've done this for you!
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beating-injury/shinsplints---how-to-beat-them/234.html
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

See if what these articles describe matches your problem. I think you may have to rest until they get better.

Thanks for the great advice. I will definitely look up those articles you mentioned.
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is week 8 day 3 for me !
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I did Week 1 Day 1 yesterday but couldn't finish because my toes were feeling squished in my sneakers. Going to buy better running shoes today! I never in my life thought I would be able to run/jog, but I loved it and I know I can do this. Looking forward to trying again and hopefully that will be the only day I have to repeat.