Replies

• luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for sharing.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I have read several things that a flat belly is made in the kitchen not the gym. So maybe try to eat super clean. No processed foods. Alot of fruits, veggies, and lean meats! and lots of water! Good luck!!

it's not what you eat, it's how many calories you eat.

there is nothing wrong with processed foods. it's also not mentally healthy for people to live in constant fear of food.
    Who is afraid of food? And again, why are you so against healthful choices? I know that the world is not black and white. What happens over here, may not happen over there. By the way, I didn't get this bangin body from eating spinach salad and celery stalks. And yes, I have practiced moderation with my choices. Processed food made me feel more hungry, and feel tired a whole lot. When I cut out wheat my appetite normalized, when I cut out man made garbage my weight began to come off. Slowly, but still it began to come off.
    By the way, you CAN get too many carbs. True story!

the whole concept is premised on the idea that to be healthy you can only eat certain foods. eating other foods are therefore unhealthy. that's nonsense and that's why i speak up against it.

if you eat too much so-called "clean" food you're going to get fat. if you eat "processed" foods in moderation, you're going to get skinny. it's about the calories in the foods, not whether you just picked it from a tree or if it came in a box. food is fuel. when you think of it as just its macro content, it frees your mind of feelings of guilt or shame. it's also much easier to lose weight without a 12 foot long list of foods you can/can't/should/shouldn't eat.

all that said, there are some types of food that fuel your hunger. for me, it is breads and simple carbs like pasta. i try to cut back on the amount of those i eat because i know that they make me hungry sooner. but they are not bad foods. they are not unhealthy foods. if you have good willpower, you could eat foods like those every day. if you choose to cut down on the amount of those you eat for that reason, then i say more power to you. but that's a separate issue from whether or not food is "clean" or "processed" or not.

homemade pasta and homemade bread will affect my appetite the same as store bought bread and pasta. the notion of "processed" doesn't enter into the equation.
  • cougar2007
    Options
    You are basically going to get a whole bunch of responses from people with their opinions and their own plans that worked for them, but what you need to focus on is what works for YOU!

I eat 6 meals a day - Breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks. I eat carbs, veggies, fruit and TONS of protein. But, I am working out 5 days a week.

As the saying goes abs are made in the kitchen, this just means that you can either eat like crap and look like crap or eat clean and look cut.

As with everything in life, there needs to be moderation. I eat carbs but in the forms of oatmeal, 15 grain bread on my sandwiches and rice. But carbs are inevitable even when trying to avoid them. I ate 12 carrots today - 12 carbs.

If you really want to lose belly fat, you need to EXERCISE and eat clean - veggies, chicken, rice, etc. There are tons of recipes out there that help you stay motivated without you feeling like you are eating the same thing.

Lastly, don't get caught on the number of pounds you weigh. Stand up straight and do your measurements. You are going to see more of a change there and than on the scale.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    you can't target your belly overall. The weight will eventually come off, do lots of ab work to strengthen those muscles and cardio to burn the fat. It will come off just be patient and remember we can't target a specific area like that :)
  • SCrompton
    SCrompton Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This thread is so funny! The people who are all about "carb cutting" really aren't listening! Sure you may have lost a ton of weight and have a smokin bod from cutting carbs but the fact that you cut carbs is not the REASON you lost weight. You lost weight becuase when you changed your eating habits you put yourself in a calorie defecit and you lost weight! Sure soem foods provide you with more energy than others, and some foods provide you with more nutrients than others and you will feel fuller longer when you decide that you are going to eat a peice of grilled chicken breast instead of a cupcake BUT as long as you are at a calorie defecit and you are working out (cardio+lifting) you will lose fat...even if you eat a ton of carbs!

I lost 140 pounds in 9 months eating at a calorie defecit and working out and I ate a f**k ton of carbs!

So to quote one of the more intelligent and open minded people on this thread - newme1313

"For the last time.

Eat at a moderate deficit + cardio + lifting = fat loss.

No need to cut out any macro groups. "
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have read several things that a flat belly is made in the kitchen not the gym. So maybe try to eat super clean. No processed foods. Alot of fruits, veggies, and lean meats! and lots of water! Good luck!!

there is nothing wrong with processed foods. it's also not mentally healthy for people to live in constant fear of food.
    Who is afraid of food? And again, why are you so against healthful choices? I know that the world is not black and white. What happens over here, may not happen over there. By the way, I didn't get this bangin body from eating spinach salad and celery stalks. And yes, I have practiced moderation with my choices. Processed food made me feel more hungry, and feel tired a whole lot. When I cut out wheat my appetite normalized, when I cut out man made garbage my weight began to come off. Slowly, but still it began to come off.

the whole concept is premised on the idea that to be healthy you can only eat certain foods. eating other foods are therefore unhealthy. that's nonsense and that's why i speak up against it.

if you eat too much so-called "clean" food you're going to get fat. if you eat "processed" foods in moderation, you're going to get skinny. it's about the calories in the foods, not whether you just picked it from a tree or if it came in a box. food is fuel. when you think of it as just its macro content, it frees your mind of feelings of guilt or shame. it's also much easier to lose weight without a 12 foot long list of foods you can/can't/should/shouldn't eat.

all that said, there are some types of food that fuel your hunger. for me, it is breads and simple carbs like pasta. i try to cut back on the amount of those i eat because i know that they make me hungry sooner. but they are not bad foods. they are not unhealthy foods. if you have good willpower, you could eat foods like those every day. if you choose to cut down on the amount of those you eat for that reason, then i say more power to you. but that's a separate issue from whether or not food is "clean" or "processed" or not.

homemade pasta and homemade bread will affect my appetite the same as store bought bread and pasta. the notion of "processed" doesn't enter into the equation.

^This. Lots of good advice here.

And OP - you have quite a bit of weight left to lose. I bet if you just keep going and give it time, you'll lose the fat off your midsection.

Congrats on getting started!
  • SCrompton
    SCrompton Posts: 240 Member
    Options

^This. Lots of good advice here.

And OP - you have quite a bit of weight left to lose. I bet if you just keep going and give it time, you'll lose the fat off your midsection.

Congrats on getting started!

LOVE ALL OF THE ABOVE!! VERY WELL SAID!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i lost 17lbs in 5 and a half weeks cuting carbs and lifting

Men lose weight very quickly compared to girls :( one thing I have learned
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    <
    picture doesn;t lie. 5 1/2 weeks, no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes (carbs)

No fruit, no coffee, no dairy.

Don;t believe me if you don;t want too

Good for you!! but you didn't need to!!! There is no scientific data showing that cutting carbs targets the belly. However there is scientific data, and lots of examples on this site, that show eating at a calorie deficit will result in the same weight loss you experienced. Also look at your before and after pic. The majority of the weight you had to lose was in the belly so it only makes sense that if you ate at a caloric deficit you would lose fat in your belly. Duh!!!!!!!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I can never understand why so many people are so against moderation in anything. This is one wacky place!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I can never understand why so many people are so against moderation in anything. This is one wacky place!

Cutting almost all carbs does not equal moderation.

This is really, really ironic because most of the people saying "you don't have to restrict carbs so much" are very pro moderation.
  • eranwolf
    eranwolf Posts: 5
    Options
    My question is then this. Are you going to be eating zero carbs 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years down the road? I highly doubt it. What happens then? You introduce carbs back into your system and you it freaks out because it hasnt had them in so long, next thing you know you are gaining weight like a fiend. Skinny does not equal healthy nor does it equal long term success. I can lose 10 lbs in two weeks easy but can I live a healthy life forever is the question people should be asking. No one has patience anymore, they all want the quick fix and guess what it doesnt exist.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat, it will come off where it likes but you could do some exercise to help tone up the area.

It can't hurt but you will be toning up the muscles under the fat.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i lost 17lbs in 5 and a half weeks cuting carbs and lifting

Men lose weight very quickly compared to girls :( one thing I have learned

Yes, men have more muscle mass which burns more calories which helps them lose more quickly, damn them!
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Um you guys do realize your body needs CARBS in order to have energy right? You can't just deprive yourself of that... its not healthy.

You should always talk with a nutritionist about dieting..they have amazing tips!
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Eating healthfully, cutting out alcohol and excess sugar can aid digestion, and help any pooch go away that may accentuate the fat. Being mindful of posture can also make you look thinner.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Key word...FAT

You need to cut back on your fats in order to have Abs =)

Nooooo, you need to lose fat in order to have abs. Fat is needed by the body. Eating fat =/= make you fat.

Again

Calorie deficit + lifting + cardio = fat loss.

Um hello? I mean all bad fats..yes your body needs SOME fat....but BAD fats can go... its common sense
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Holy cow this thread is depressing.

Carbs DON'T make you fat

Fat doesn't make you fat

Protein doesn't make you fat.

Fat is used by the body as a way to store excess energy. If you eat excess energy (calories) your body will store this energy as fat.

Newme13 my hat is off to you.

:flowerforyou:
  • cherchechristine
    cherchechristine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It comes off my belly quickly when I give up bread and other processed carbs like pasta, etc.

I also see a difference when I gave up diet coke and other carbonated drinks. I also started drinking martini's instead of dark beer.

Keep your roughage in line too...need to keep bowels moving--sorry...not sure how to delicately address this topic :blushing:
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    <
    picture doesn;t lie. 5 1/2 weeks, no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes (carbs)

No fruit, no coffee, no dairy.

Don;t believe me if you don;t want too

You look great. Congratulations. My mom and uncle lost loads of weight by reducing their carbs. Don't bother explaining yourself to people on these sites. You offered sound advice to the OP based on what has worked for you, and that is what the OP asked. We aren't all made the same, so we won't all lose weight the same. We aren't cookie cutter dieters. (Can I say "Cookie"?) :smile: