Where was your first job ?

Options

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I worked in a 'Pound Shop' in England, akin to the Dollar Stores here in the US.

I was supposed to work with one other person as I was 15 and couldn't be left to man the registers by myself; she ended up repeatedly leaving me by myself. One day I was made to open, run and close the store by myself. I got a massive bruise on my shoulder from trying to lift the window shutters to open the store. I also twisted my ankle while trying to assist a customer. I had to call my dad to pick me up, we drove to my work colleagues house and dropped off the keys and never went back.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    First job was at Sackners. I ran nylon cord machines that made nylon rope. I was 18 then. I was hired to run the paper cord machines. I did run them for a little bit but the other gal got fired and I got her job. Nylon cord was way less messy then paper. No glue pots to fill and get all gummed up. That was soooo GROSS. :bigsmile:
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I worked for my parents as a manicurist at 17. What I actually did.. showed up late, took naps, went fishing, then went home early and got paid $500 a week.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    the summer after my sophomore year of college, i lived at the beach and delivered pizzas for 2 months to pay the rent and buy beer.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I worked at a tanning salon. Mostly I watched TV, let my friends tan for free, and perfected my lock picking skills.
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    waitress at a family steakhouse when I was 15 :)
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Ski Resort. I worked as a cashier and skied on my breaks. Best first job ever!
  • sharon_moyer
    Options
    Burger King and I started working 2 months before my 16th birthday. I worked as a counter person.
  • Frantastic5685
    Options
    Dunkin Donuts...and I gained 20 lbs the first 6 months I worked there... HAHAHAHAHA ugh >_<
  • maggiecosmo
    maggiecosmo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Tacobell......Loved the choco Tacos...
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What were you hired to do ?
    Sales person at Betty's Western Store when I was 16.. Selling and stocking tack, clothing, boots, etc.

What did you REALLY do ?
    The above plus loading feed (50# bags) for some customers, flirting with cowboys and (this is important) learning to drink too much coffee.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Where was your first job ? neighborhood McDonald's
    What were you hired to do ? clean tables, take out trash (eventually worked drive-through window)
    What did you REALLY do ? smoked pot by the dumpsters, ate boxes McDonald's cookies.

(unrelated: the spaces before the questions marks bother me. Not sure why. Just wanted you to know)
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    cashier at a bakery, i was 17
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Abercrombie and Fitch! Ha what a joke. I put in my two weeks after two weeks of working there! I was the only one who actually did anything like fold and put clothes away. Everyone else was just a slap**** and stood around. I like being busy because it makes the time pass much more quickly! Not standing around trying to flirt with customers... I mean not that I do not enjoy doing that, but I like feeling useful and that I have a purpose.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was employed to work Saturdays on the loose sweet counter at a big department store......................I ate more than I sold :laugh:
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Waitress at a Tea & Sandwich shop
    Waited on people, made the food, cleaned, etc. Whatever needed to be done :)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I was a fluffer.......:wink:

I thought I recognized you!
  • dearly4ever
    dearly4ever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Dishwasher on campus. Not fun
  • mstyer2790
    mstyer2790 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was the only American born girl in a pizza shop full of Bosnian guys lmao

They all acted like my big brothers and I alternated between making pizza, studying, and drinking too much
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    K-Mart... and the store manager was quite sexist so girls never had to go outside to get carts, and rarely had to straighten "toys" (notoriously messy). I pretty much ran a register.