Why is obesity considered deviant behavior?

Options
mattschwartz01
mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
Why is obesity considered deviant behavior when we throw gobs of money at research for cures of ADHD, Bipolar disorder, cancer, etc. but almost none towards obesity? Obesity is an epidemic that will only get worse if we treat it with ridicule and disgust. It isn't a character flaw of someone that causes them to be obese. Obesity isn't deviance but a disease (like alcoholism) of sorts and if treated properly can be cured. By properly I mean addressing physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional needs of the obese person. McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King among others contribute mightily to the obesity problem.

As a society we also have to demand healthier products from the Food Industry and call the Food Industry on their so-called research to prove additives such as MSG and HFCS are safe. By making demands, I don't mean passing laws but refusing to eat at establishments that use trans fats, too much sugar, HFCS, and MSG. Hit the Food Industry where it counts - in the wallet. Americans need to take a more active role in their health and know that a pill will not cure everything.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why is obesity considered deviant behavior when we throw gobs of money at research for cures of ADHD, Bipolar disorder, cancer, etc. but almost none towards obesity? Obesity is an epidemic that will only get worse if we treat it with ridicule and disgust. It isn't a character flaw of someone that causes them to be obese. Obesity isn't deviance but a disease (like alcoholism) of sorts and if treated properly can be cured. By properly I mean addressing physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional needs of the obese person. McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King among others contribute mightily to the obesity problem.

As a society we also have to demand healthier products from the Food Industry and call the Food Industry on their so-called research to prove additives such as MSG and HFCS are safe. By making demands, I don't mean passing laws but refusing to eat at establishments that use trans fats, too much sugar, HFCS, and MSG. Hit the Food Industry where it counts - in the wallet. Americans need to take a more active role in their health and know that a pill will not cure everything.

The cure is already known, stop shoving food in your mouth and eat less, maybe move a little more as well.

And please stop with the tinfoil hat stuff with HFCS and MSG, metabolically speaking, how is HFCS different from sucrose and how is MSG different than glutamate?
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    If you need a huge, expensive study to tell you that the cure for obesity is to burn more calories than you eat, you fail at life.
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    Perhaps not as much as neurological disorders or cancer, etc., but a ton of money is thrown into fighting obesity.

Beyond the bevy of youth outreach programs that encourage activity--and their high-profile sponsors like the NFL, Boys and Girls Club, UnitedWay, etc.--there are a ton of corporations that put money towards fighting obesity.

Congress is currently pushing for stricter laws and we've seen recent failures in New York over limiting soft drink sizes, but even within the last month, Mars Candy [maker of M&M's, Wrigley Gum] has made an effort to raise money and interest in combatting obesity.

Regardless of whether or not grassroots efforts garner support, the easiest reason that obesity is this problem is twofold:
    1. People are greedy; it is cheaper to produce unhealthy food and those with the money raise money for others with money to get elected and protect his or her interest.
    2. People are hedonistic, selfish, lazy, and stupid. In 1964, the US Surgeon General established a link between smoking cigarettes and lung cancer. Almost 50 years later, people still smoke. Of course, there was already a correlation in studies by the tabacco industries, but that research was buried as it was inconvenient to point one--people are greedy.

I am not saying to give up on the world at large. But know where you have control. Your family--kids, if you have them--and the people you are with. People cannot make people change...but anyone can influence someone else to make that change his or herself.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you need a huge, expensive study to tell you that the cure for obesity is to burn more calories than you eat, you fail at life.

FTW
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Obesity is an epidemic that will only get worse if we treat it with ridicule and disgust.

It isn't a character flaw of someone that causes them to be obese.

McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King among others contribute mightily to the obesity problem.

As a society we also have to demand healthier products from the Food Industry.
    1. Treating smokers with ridicule and disgust has helped to reduce the number of smokers. Same should apply to obesity. Don't underestimate the power of societal pressure.

2. What does cause MOST people to be obese? Eating too much and not moving enough, perhaps?

3. Does someone force you to eat at those establishments?

4. Healthy foods abound, you just need to choose them instead of unhealthy foods.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Fighting obesity means telling Companies how and what to sell to the customer.. that isn't going to happen with the current state of government in the US.. look at all the crazies in NY when you try to limit their soda intake.. or parents that complain the government is telling them how to feed their kids (or trying to make healthy meals at school)..
    Its going to start with people taking responsibility for themselves, and as we all know that will never happen..
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Fighting obesity means telling Companies how and what to sell to the customer.. that isn't going to happen with the current state of government in the US.. look at all the crazies in NY when you try to limit their soda intake.. or parents that complain the government is telling them how to feed their kids (or trying to make healthy meals at school)..
    Its going to start with people taking responsibility for themselves, and as we all know that will never happen..

Nor should it happen. It isn't the governments responsibility. I didn't need the government to tell me I was fat. I had a mirror for that. And I didn't need the government to regulate me into being in shape. I am an adult and can make my own choices.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options

Nor should it happen. It isn't the governments responsibility. I didn't need the government to tell me I was fat. I had a mirror for that. And I didn't need the government to regulate me into being in shape. I am an adult and can make my own choices.
    Well said @djeffrys10

May I also add that when did people suddenly NEED a babysitter for every aspect of their life? Why do we NEED the government to mandate what is good and what is bad for us in order for us to supposedly make the RIGHT choice. Personally I think all these people that want BIG BROTHER to baby them need to put on their big boy/girl panties and start making their own decisions and taking responsibility for their own actions. Get off the teet people.
  • muziclver
    muziclver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, this question proves the fact that our generation is getting so lost in taking self control. They want the government, their parents, their spouses, etc to take care of them and tell them when they need a life change. Maybe even blame them for being overweight because they didn't "prevent" this. People need to start being more accountable for themselves these days. If you are overweight, okay. No problem, you can fix it. Don't blame someone else and sit back waiting for someone to take care of it FOR you.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Obesity isn't deviance but a disease (like alcoholism) of sorts and if treated properly can be cured. By properly I mean addressing physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional needs of the obese person. McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King among others contribute mightily to the obesity problem.

People drive themselves there though don't they? This isn't a disease but just a lack of education and/or a lack of will power to do what you know is the right thing to do.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Economic influences contribute to obesity (low income areas have less access to fresh fruits and vegetables) and education hasn't been there for some people.
    Depression, abuse, etc.. also lead to obesity. Substituting food for affection, feeding depression, etc.
    It's easy to attack those you don't understand. You don't ridicule alcoholics or drug addicts for their choices, why is it so easy to do that to food addicts?

You would think that people on a website geared towards health and weight loss would be a bit more compassionate. I haven't seen that to be the case yet.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Obesity isn't deviant. It's very common, and the solution is not for the obese to excuse themselves by saying they have a disease and can't help it.

Everyone needs to take responsibility for their own health.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Obesity is crucial for the economy. Fast food nation's profits, pharmaceutical company profits all come in a significant part from obese people and more joining their ranks.

Fast food nation and pharmaceutical companies are the people who finance campaigns for presidents and governments.

As simple education program, teaching how to cook with fresh ingredients and making physical activity fun is all it takes. When you have a society that thrives on convenience, it's no surprise that food too becomes convenient.

"The Man" might slag off obesity in public, but "The Man" really wants more people to become obese.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Deviant? Deviant means against the norm and obesity is becoming the norm.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    No one is forcing people to eat at Mcdonalds or other fast food places. The "cure" for obesity is eat less move more. But I agree that often times, the emotional part of why someone overeats must be addressed.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Obesity makes people rich plain and simple. The truth is "they" don't care.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you want them to throw money at the problem to make it go away rather than put in the hard work to make it go away.

education, hard work and an honest ethic is truly the cure for most societal ills. (I say most and not all...i stick by that)

teach yourself how to eat and burn calories, work HARD at your nutrition and your calorie burning....and be honest with your intake and your burns....and you will fix the problem...

it only takes one to do it, others will notice and start doing it too....

that's how this works....
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Obesity isn't deviant. It's very common, and the solution is not for the obese to excuse themselves by saying they have a disease and can't help it.

when did you become such a wizard at using the proper words in the proper sequence? where can i learn such wizardry?? :huh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

*hi five*
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

QFT.