Why is obesity considered deviant behavior?

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Obesity is more about choice and self-control and those other examples are usually caused by mental issuse or physical issues. Big difference.

However, I do agree that more should be done to train and help people make better choices in life, similar to mental health.

Cheers
  • kimberly6106
    Options
    I honestly think food is not the root of the problem. Our society has gotten lazy and sedentary with easy access to everything. Our grandparents ate tons of lard and butter but had to work much harder and walk more places to live their day to day lives.

I agree 100% Desk jobs and our sedentary lifestyles are the real problem!
    i have a desk job, that is not the problem. I have lost 26 pounds in less than 3 months still have a desk job. Knowledge about nutrition, and exercise is the issue.

My point was that many do not work in labor anymore. They are not burning calories on the job.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's my response to everyone who's taken issue with what I've said:

I'm looking at things from an epidemiological perspective, which basically means when you see measurable significant increase in a health problem (whether or not you choose to call it a disease is up to you) over time, it's time to take a look at how that problem is being addressed (by individuals with the problem and by professionals), find out what's not working and try something new, ideally with the objective of finding something that works and can be replicated with the same results. The reality in the developed world today is that many societal factors have contributed to a continued trend towards higher percentages of obesity. I don't think any of you are arguing that the population at large has become progressively lazier or that self-control has naturally decreased overall over the past few decades (if you are, stop reading, we are not on the same logic train and you will not like what I have to say), so what gives? Yes, on a PERSONAL level, YOU have to make the decision, and continue to do so repeatedly, but for whatever reason(s), some already clear, others maybe not, there's an overall trend towards not making that decision. My point throughout this thread has been that it is entirely valid and important for the overall health of the develped societies most of us live in (otherwise you would likely not be on the internet often or need to lose weight and use a website to help you do that) for scientists to be looking for new ways to make healthy choices easier to make. I understand the "I had to walk to school in the snow, they should have to too" mentality, good for all of you for doing it the hard way, but how can researching ways to help others kick their unhealthy habits be so offensive to so many of you?
    yes personal choices are 90 percent of the battle. And if you choose not to make a change, then it is your fault your not healthy. However if one is not properly informed, one can not make a proper decision. Everything else I agree.

Yes, information is always the first step, marketing strategies can sometimes be helpful too. One that I liked (this is systemic level) was the calorie reporting mandatory in NYC, you go into a pastry shop and the calories are right next to that donut that sounded amazing a minute ago. Information IS a powerful thing, and it is part of the solution, but I think finding new ways to influence people to make healthy decisions is going to need to continue until we see results. "oh well, I told you so" isn't really very helpful, no matter how true it is.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Obesity isn't deviance but a disease (like alcoholism) of sorts and if treated properly can be cured. By properly I mean addressing physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional needs of the obese person. McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King among others contribute mightily to the obesity problem.

People drive themselves there though don't they? This isn't a disease but just a lack of education and/or a lack of will power to do what you know is the right thing to do.

I agree. Obesity is not a disease. Neither is alcholism. We are fat/obese for one reason and one reason only. We eat too much. Yes there are some who are overweight due to medication etc. But that number is low. The majority of americans consume too much and move too less. That is why websites like this are so popular. We are all here trying to treat our addicition to food...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Everyone needs to take responsibility for their own health.

This!!!!!!! No one put a gun to our heads and force us to eat!!!!!!
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm not for controlling what people eat but I do believe we should be more aware of what is in our food and the nutritional content. I think all food, even food served in restaurants, should list calories, fat, and such. Sometimes you can go out to eat and pick what you thought was a healthy choice only to find out later that it had a much higher fat content than what you had assumed. If you are aware of the nutritional value you can make better choices. Sometimes I want that greasy hamburger and I should be allowed to eat it but I'd like to know what the calorie and fat content is so I can adjust the rest of my daily meals to compensate for it. I think most people just have no clue what is in what they're eating. Can't tell you how many times I picked what I thought was the "healthy" chicken salad choice to find out the burger I really wanted had, in fact, less calories and fat.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    So basically obese people are choosing to engage in activities which quite literally could and will lead to their deaths?

Given that the overriding biological imperative is survival that theory seems distinctly like utter rubbish to me...

LIFE quite literally leads to death. What we do during that life will affect our QUALITY and length of life...but it still ends in death.
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    my obesity was caused by two things

1. I was being to lazy and not wanting to get off my butt and get moving

2. I was eating way beyond my proper portions or not eating enough most days

It is us who needs to take responsibility for our own actions. not the government. we can choose to eat mcdonald's or not to.
    one the times I go out like when my child has away games I pre plan ahead of time by checking out the lowest calorie options.

I chose to be obese and weigh 250 pounds by my own actions. just like I am choosing now to do something about it. I lost 75 pounds thus far in doing so.

Exactly... well said.
  • ambernbarrier
    ambernbarrier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    speak for yourself I went through actual withdrawals much like a drug addict when I changed my diet. You have no idea what I personally went through. Night sweats, headaches, sick to my stomach etc. and no I wasn't sick, it was my body reacting to such a severe change. I still have to fight my addiction to fried foods.

Yep. I was never fat. Not for my whole life. I've always been in shape and I'm just here to pick on people. I certainly didn't spend decades of my life eating so poorly it would make your head spin.

Real support isn't always telling people it's not their fault and food is to blame. Want to change your life? Take responsibility for it.
    you know what, did I say you Were not overweight? Quit putting words in my mouth. Reread my post before quoting. I am by changing my habits do you not see my progress? Obviously I am taking responsibility by recognizing my addiction, and making a change to not just lose weight but in a healthy way. At this point you re acting more of a bully than giving positive information to help stimulate change in others. My grandfather always said, " if your not helping you are hurting the situation." so stop putting people down and since your obviously on the same goal driven path. Start with sharing ways you got past struggles rather than telling people it's their fault. We already know that. That's why we are here.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    is noassatall considered a disease as well? we really should look into that one ASAP.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Fighting obesity means telling Companies how and what to sell to the customer.. that isn't going to happen with the current state of government in the US.. look at all the crazies in NY when you try to limit their soda intake.. or parents that complain the government is telling them how to feed their kids (or trying to make healthy meals at school)..
    Its going to start with people taking responsibility for themselves, and as we all know that will never happen..

That's communism, you can have that in many other countries, I'll take my freedom of choice and make good ones... thanks.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    For almost everyone the cure is only a mer choice, but for others it really is an illness. I think more in the way a meth addict is ill.
  • ambernbarrier
    Options
    Ok, here's my response to everyone who's taken issue with what I've said:

I'm looking at things from an epidemiological perspective, which basically means when you see measurable significant increase in a health problem (whether or not you choose to call it a disease is up to you) over time, it's time to take a look at how that problem is being addressed (by individuals with the problem and by professionals), find out what's not working and try something new, ideally with the objective of finding something that works and can be replicated with the same results. The reality in the developed world today is that many societal factors have contributed to a continued trend towards higher percentages of obesity. I don't think any of you are arguing that the population at large has become progressively lazier or that self-control has naturally decreased overall over the past few decades (if you are, stop reading, we are not on the same logic train and you will not like what I have to say), so what gives? Yes, on a PERSONAL level, YOU have to make the decision, and continue to do so repeatedly, but for whatever reason(s), some already clear, others maybe not, there's an overall trend towards not making that decision. My point throughout this thread has been that it is entirely valid and important for the overall health of the develped societies most of us live in (otherwise you would likely not be on the internet often or need to lose weight and use a website to help you do that) for scientists to be looking for new ways to make healthy choices easier to make. I understand the "I had to walk to school in the snow, they should have to too" mentality, good for all of you for doing it the hard way, but how can researching ways to help others kick their unhealthy habits be so offensive to so many of you?
    yes personal choices are 90 percent of the battle. And if you choose not to make a change, then it is your fault your not healthy. However if one is not properly informed, one can not make a proper decision. Everything else I agree.

Yes, information is always the first step, marketing strategies can sometimes be helpful too. One that I liked (this is systemic level) was the calorie reporting mandatory in NYC, you go into a pastry shop and the calories are right next to that donut that sounded amazing a minute ago. Information IS a powerful thing, and it is part of the solution, but I think finding new ways to influence people to make healthy decisions is going to need to continue until we see results. "oh well, I told you so" isn't really very helpful, no matter how true it is.
    that is awesome here in nc there is only 2 restaurants that tell the calories and that is McDonald's, and subway. I have found even subway doesn't disclose all the nutritional facts though.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    To everyone claiming that nutritious food is out of reach for poorer people: Hit up a 99 Cent store. I've never seen one in the south but when I was visiting my brother in California earlier this year I was intent on cooking my own meals to keep up eating well. We made a stop at a 99 Cents store to pick up trash bags or something and ended up getting nearly a month's worth of groceries for 3 people for under 40 bucks (and my boyfriend and my brother pack it away). That bill included fruits, vegetables, eggs, milk, cheese, bread-- basically everything but meats (we picked those up elsewhere the night before) although they had some meats. Maybe I'm way off but I would think that is no insurmountable sum of money. You just need to look around.
  • Letitia201
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone has posted this but if not take a look at this article that was in the New York Times a few weeks ago about the science of junk food: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?_r=0. Willpower and self control is important but there is a monied array of forces out there that want you to eat, and eat a lot. For some of us resisting the food and the marketing messages (try counting food ads and promos on TV some time in a one hour time slot), may be harder than we think. I know for me I just can't have certain items in the house. At any rate, my .02¢.
  • ambernbarrier
    Options

Everyone needs to take responsibility for their own health.

This!!!!!!! No one put a gun to our heads and force us to eat!!!!!!
    You truly have no clue what growing up with my father and grandparents was like. I ate what they made me eat or starved growing up. For some people you werent given a choice about nutrition or knowledge at an early age.
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    If you need a huge, expensive study to tell you that the cure for obesity is to burn more calories than you eat, you fail at life.

FTW

^^this^^ :happy:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    To everyone claiming that nutritious food is out of reach for poorer people: Hit up a 99 Cent store. I've never seen one in the south but when I was visiting my brother in California earlier this year I was intent on cooking my own meals to keep up eating well. We made a stop at a 99 Cents store to pick up trash bags or something and ended up getting nearly a month's worth of groceries for 3 people for under 40 bucks (and my boyfriend and my brother pack it away). That bill included fruits, vegetables, eggs, milk, cheese, bread-- basically everything but meats (we picked those up elsewhere the night before) although they had some meats. Maybe I'm way off but I would think that is no insurmountable sum of money. You just need to look around.

Shhh! Stop saying people should put in a minimal amount of effort to take care of themselves. It HAS to be someone else's fault!!
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So basically obese people are choosing to engage in activities which quite literally could and will lead to their deaths?

Given that the overriding biological imperative is survival that theory seems distinctly like utter rubbish to me...

How is it not " choosing to engage in activities which quite literally could and will lead to their deaths" when they are choosing to eat larger proportions than necessary, choosing to not exercise? I don't understand you logic on how that is rubbish. Overeating and lack of exercise cause health problems that cause death, yet they still choose to overeat and not work out...
  • ambernbarrier
    Options
    If you need a huge, expensive study to tell you that the cure for obesity is to burn more calories than you eat, you fail at life.

FTW

^^this^^ :happy:
    it isn't all calorie intake. Nutrition is so much more than that. The amount of vitamins, fiber, minerals, protein, levels of chloresterol, fat, sugar, water intake. Seriously if You believe this is about just calories you are lying to yourself and everyone around you.